Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

25 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

The ones that actually exist.

You can't be sure people "know" when they keep getting them wrong.

The ones we have a vague awareness of then.

JosepH is likely taking a shot at those who say the mandates are what cause certain stories and plot points to not come across too well, if they make it in to begin with.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was just super surprised by this issue, and people like to say that that "mandates" kill darker stories so I took a piss out of that. Well this is like the darkest and emotional this series has ever been in not a stupid way like the GUN raid or Shadow using guns so yeah. Like legitmately this comic made me sad.

I honestly need a Team Dark driving an ice cream truck next, I don't need this Walking Dead stuff for like... 10 years now. Ian used all dread possible, this is amazing. lol

Also issue 25 will kill me.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

1 hour ago, JosepHenry said:

I was just super surprised by this issue, and people like to say that that "mandates" kill darker stories so I took a piss out of that. Well this is like the darkest and emotional this series has ever been in not a stupid way like the GUN raid or Shadow using guns so yeah. Like legitmately this comic made me sad.

I honestly need a Team Dark driving an ice cream truck next, I don't need this Walking Dead stuff for like... 10 years now. Ian used all dread possible, this is amazing. lol

Also issue 25 will kill me.

I don't really think the gun raid was stupid , but do you.

This didn't do much for me. This story lost its drive for me issues ago, everything at this point kinda feels like ...someone writing a fanfiction to be dark but it long stopped being interesting because in doing so lost the reason why i enjoy the source material. Sonic having introspection is kinda neat so you know, that's cool.

• Thumbs Up 1

I mean darks stories start somewhere. Better than anything Sega can write as they either sweep things under a rug or pretend no one outside Maria can die. Aka chaos choa friends dying. Flooding station square when people are still out, eggman blowing up the planet or splitting it. Eggman bombing a festival while people are out that magically disappear so far idw is doing great work imo

Boy oh boy, finally read Issue 24 and let me first say that ABT's art really does elevate this series. A shame we can't keep him on every issue, or at least till the end of the Zombot Arc. He just elevates it so much higher than the other artists outside of maybe Evan Stanley.

Trying to stick to positives, the use of emotion in this issue I found suberb and made the entire experience fairly enjoyable even in regards to me getting sick of the Zombot Arc. That's a bit of praise from me, but unfortunately no amount of good this issue did could stop it from honestly ticking me off and leaving me wondering if should blame Ian Flynn or SEGA.

Rant in the spoilers

Spoiler

First it was Cream having to cheer up Amy, and now it is Tangle being the endless ball of optimism and energy giving Sonic the I believe in Sonic speech that I would expect from Amy. What exactly is going on here? What happened to the ball of endless optimism, positivity, and believing in others, especially Sonic, to the very end that I know and love. Her traits and tendencies keep showing up in other characters while she becomes a more and more hopeless and lifeless husk. She isn't even a shell of what she normally is, she's just plain not her. And don't blame the situation because Cream before her mother turned and now Tangle even being infected have put Amy's core traits on full display and it's making me livid. Don't get me wrong either. I think Tangle is the best new character in the book and I loved seeing her fight to the end, but doing so while doing everything I know Amy for while Amy is being a lifeless husk just leaves me livid. One of my all around favorite characters feels so disrespected to me right now and like either Ian Flynn or SEGA somewhere along the line forgot who she is. I never expected to be so livid again after Shadow's debut (I've actually come to terms with that as I explain in my recent Shadow thread) but i can't even enjoy the issue and everything it did well because of this.

Obviously I'm too attached to Amy if I'm getting this riled up, but she's been one of my favorites since her debut and watching her character being taken apart and given to other characters just leaves me more than a little heated. Honestly, the only thing keeping this whole scenario from totally taking me off of the book is if I swap Tangle with Amy and put Sally Acorn in Amy's current roll when considering that this story was originally meant for Archie. When I do it like that though I want to more openly blame Flynn for the treatment of Amy here and SEGA for letting him. I'm just so frustrated right now and need time to cool off. My word am I angry.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

I personally don't see it that way, but I can understand how you would come to that conclusion and I'm sorry it's bothering you so much.

Personally I like what was displayed in this issue as it built off what was established in Tangle and Whisper and utilized it greatly for an emotionall payoff. 

Well, hopefully we'll see Amy Rose in a more...casual situation soon to judge her character under better, less dire circumstances.

It might be a while, maybe she'll get better.

@Kuzu no reason for you to be sorry about it. I appreciate the sentiment though, even though this is really just my personal problem.

I do agree though that it is solid payoff for the miniseries, though seeing Whisper hurt like that I can't help but wonder come the future if Flynn will take her in the she's scarred and will put distance between her and Tangle so she doesn't hurt again route or the over protective route. Both avenues have their advantages by I think the overreactive route would be nice bit of levity after all of this character trauma that's being pushed in this arc.

@StaticMania, part of my problem is unfortunately that what I was shown of Tangle is at least how Amy used to be until Lost World at least. That's partly why I'm putting so much blame on SEGA.

I liked this issue, it didn’t advance a whole lot (other than emotionally) but it signalled that advancement would take place next issue.  Spoiler tags for...

...Tangle getting infected. I didn’t see that coming actually. But each of the ‘actual cast’ members are so notably different as zombots. Regular townsfolk just get pointy fingers and the like. Tangle gets a quite serious-looking spiked club tail. I wonder if this is building up to the Resistance having to fight former-Resistance zombots later on.

Also, Sonic’s time seems to be running out even quicker than before. Things have gotta be coming to a head soon. We know Amy and Tails make it to at least the beginning of issue 27, whether they make it to the end is another thing entirely.  I’m fairly sure that we gotta find out what’s happening with Silver’s battle soon?

8 hours ago, Soniman said:

I just imagine through all this pain and heartbreak Knuckles is just sitting on his ass by the Master Emerald eating grapes, serious just take these people to angel Island already 

I do have to wonder if Orbot has been avoiding a certain altitude for that exact reason.

4 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Well, hopefully we'll see Amy Rose in a more...casual situation soon to judge her character under better, less dire circumstances.

It might be a while, maybe she'll get better.

We've been saying this for a while, but I guess it should've been obviously there wouldn't be a chance any time soon.

4 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

@Kuzu

@StaticMania, part of my problem is unfortunately that what I was shown of Tangle is at least how Amy used to be until Lost World at least. That's partly why I'm putting so much blame on SEGA.

Oh, so y'all noticed, eh? 

14 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Oh, so y'all noticed, eh? 

I'm an Amy so I couldn't help but notice. Almost that whole exchange reads like it was written for Amy pre Lost World. I enjoy Tangle to, but that scene ruined the whole issue for me which sucks because it is otherwise a good issue. It's kind of funny how our biases can mess up our enjoyment of things sometimes.

11 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

I'm an Amy so I couldn't help but notice. Almost that whole exchange reads like it was written for Amy pre Lost World. I enjoy Tangle to, but that scene ruined the whole issue for me which sucks because it is otherwise a good issue. It's kind of funny how our biases can mess up our enjoyment of things sometimes.

I've only seen a few blurry panels with the occasional readable bubble thus far, but I'm sure I know what scene you're referring to. 

Honestly, that's one of the parallel issues I thought about a good while back. 

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

I've only seen a few blurry panels with the occasional readable bubble thus far, but I'm sure I know what scene you're referring to. 

Honestly, that's one of the parallel issues I thought about a good while back. 

It's a good issue, especially if you're not as attached to Amy as I am and definitely worth a read. ABT's art really does just elevate the comic so much above the other issues and the emotional beats are spot on. Unfortunately for me I'm an Amy fan of a particular ilk and that hurts the book for me in so many ways 😅

21 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

It's a good issue, especially if you're not as attached to Amy as I am and definitely worth a read. ABT's art really does just elevate the comic so much above the other issues and the emotional beats are spot on. Unfortunately for me I'm an Amy fan of a particular ilk and that hurts the book for me in so many ways 😅

I was actually referring to Tangle's general characterization in concept: she's pretty much another Amy, Charmy, and/or Marine, ignoring the obvious invoking of Sonic himself. 

But sorry either way. 

She is definitely another Amy, and could be part of what endears her to me so much. Seeing it so blatantly displayed in Issue 24 though definitely had the wrong effect on me. But that's life I guess. Or comics. Amy's just become so chill of late though and after Issue 2 giving me some hope in seeing her personality as I remember it is making me act all kinds of ridiculous I'm sure.

Amy has never been above getting sad when something bad happens and It's not like she's given up. Why do you think she's still working so hard to keep everyone together the entire arc?

It's not just her getting sad, as you've said she has been gotten down before, but usually her ability to bounce back keeps her going. It's a trait of hers that is totally absent right now and she is barely trudging along at all. She isn't as bad off as Cream, but seeing none of her energy or optimism to go alongside her refusal to ever give up makes seeing her very unpleasant. As someone who consumes Sonic media to be entertained Tangle was a breath of fresh air in this issue that the comic has been sorely needing for a while. Unfortunately, for an Amy fan of my ilk the breath of fresh air she brought I'm used to seeing Amy bring in contrast to how she is right now.

Even Ian's in for a few surprises?

I wonder what that means, he followed up with KnowingSmile, indicating he knows something. Does he mean he just hasn't planned that far ahead yet? Does he mean SEGA maybe approved him for some story ideas, or hell - characters, he thought he didn't have access to?

6 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

Does he mean he just hasn't planned that far ahead yet?

Yes

No plans ahead as of now. But I hope he comes up with good stuff

Found a way to see most of the comic I hadn't already. Might have to see it for real to form a proper take, but it seemed ight I guess. A bit rushed, but fine.

[Spoiler except not really]

Spoiler

Most of it was Tangle-centric with some decent amount of overview at the start, some brief talk from Sonic near the middle, and last page setup for the coming sextuplet of fights. 

[Closer to spoilers]

Spoiler

Noticed Lanolin suited up and not looking to jazzed about Sonic. Hm...

Bit of a shame about Jewel.

Has Evan Stanley drawn the Zeti before? Thought the light effect on them looked kinda weird.

2 hours ago, Wraith said:

Can't blame him for saying something given the unfortunate timing.image.jpeg.5225bb052f0a701081291b8f94dff098.jpeg

4 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

She isn't as bad off as Cream, 

What do you mean?

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

Even Ian's in for a few surprises?

I wonder what that means, he followed up with KnowingSmile, indicating he knows something. Does he mean he just hasn't planned that far ahead yet? Does he mean SEGA maybe approved him for some story ideas, or hell - characters, he thought he didn't have access to?

Well he used to have to plot out these things at least 6 months ahead of time, so he would have found out by Halloween.

Could be a story SonicTeam came to him with even.