Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

13 minutes ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

The closest character that rivals Shadow’s development is Knuckles.

And they kinda fucked him up post-2005. Ian’s gotten some stride with him, so maybe he can rerail him back to his better self from the Adventures.

Fitting, considering that was seemingly  changed in part because of how Shadow came with the sorta outlook they had started to explore with him.

Well, Knuckles  was Sonic's primary foil before Shadow came along and he was by far the second most prominent character in the franchise after Sonic as well. 

I don't really think they had similar developments though; it's just that when they shifted focus to Shadow, they just kinda...stopped focusing on Knuckles` background. 

It really does speak volumes on how good foils they are in that they're probably the most talked about characters after Sonic himself on this site. 

29 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

...How will he explain Shadow being infected if they go that way?

Organic flesh and fur, like Terminators.

• Thumbs Up 2

58 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

...How will he explain Shadow being infected if they go that way?

Ignore it. Even if this doesn't happen shadows character has changed so much behind the scenes that whatever Ian's plan was with moral shades of gray on the shadow end of things has effectively gotten thrown out the window. Shadow will be shuffled out of the story in the end his actions not mattering. So if anything changes, why reference it shadow didn't matter.

36 minutes ago, Razule said:

Organic flesh and fur, like Terminators.

So it'd be like he's possessed by his flesh?

That'd be some type of spooky wouldn't it?

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

Ignore it. Even if this doesn't happen shadows character has changed so much behind the scenes that whatever Ian's plan was with moral shades of gray on the shadow end of things has effectively gotten thrown out the window. Shadow will be shuffled out of the story in the end his actions not mattering. So if anything changes, why reference it shadow didn't matter.

...Because machines not being infected is a big plot point? Iunno, that feels like one of those things that feels really weird from a story perspective. 

If Shadow's an android and can get infected, why can't Gemerl and Omega? This feels like the worst time to bring that plot point back again. 

On an unrelated note, it's really concidental that this happened after they brought back the Shadow androids for Tangle and Whisper.

2 hours ago, Kuzu said:

Well, Knuckles  was Sonic's primary foil before Shadow came along and he was by far the second most prominent character in the franchise after Sonic as well. 

I don't really think they had similar developments though; it's just that when they shifted focus to Shadow, they just kinda...stopped focusing on Knuckles` background. 

It really does speak volumes on how good foils they are in that they're probably the most talked about characters after Sonic himself on this site. 

I was referring to his stint as a philosophical warrior questioning the origins of his lot in life, but yes, yes they are.

19 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

...Because machines not being infected is a big plot point? Iunno, that feels like one of those things that feels really weird from a story perspective. 

If Shadow's an android and can get infected, why can't Gemerl and Omega? This feels like the worst time to bring that plot point back again. 

Wait for it.

19 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

On an unrelated note, it's really concidental that this happened after they brought back the Shadow androids for Tangle and Whisper.

Yeah, seriously. I immediately started to wonder about that and whether something got confused.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, thumbs13 said:

I agree

I just dont think it will be addressed

Ian seems...tired

Can I say one more thing? I think the more damning thing is that its? On the table, it strikes me as someone not having idea of what do with that character whilst simultaneously having no interest in some of the thing that characters audience liked. If they would have made that definite it would feel like they are going a direction. This seems like mindless bumbling

I had a talk with a friend about this, she brings up two points. Would that retcon shadows game out of existence, if so why bother doing that now when that game has no effect on what you are doing as a broader brand and changes to shadow like this serve no one.

The other point was a half joke, that while funny gave me a chill up my spine

Aside from the obvious (nobody "knows" what's going on behind the scenes with this stuff but my guess is there's a lot of internal debate over details like this...for some reason), the only rationalization I can think of is that it's possible they might have meant they're fine with Flynn going with that even if they aren't planning on doing anything themselves.

To me that seems likely, given what Shadow's deal is (during or after SA2) is probably never going to be relevant again in the games, so they don't really have any reason to out of nowhere directly state in a game "oh yeah the one from Heroes on is definitely an android." And while it's a stretch I could see that logic affording adaptations some creative liberty if they so desired, unlike some other stuff (like two worlds) which is supposedly set in stone for now.

It'd be another "attempt to appease fans by making things more confusing" retcon, like Two Worlds and the Classic Dimension.

"Didn't like that Shadow came back in Heroes, but also still want him around? He was dead the whole time, Shadow Android is actually canon. This has totally been the case the whole time, why'd you think the only confirmation that he was the original was if you spent like 9 minutes on the final boss?"

Now that I have slept thought on the situation a bit more. I don't think anything will be done with this. I do however think this plays into a thought I have. I think someone(s) for a while have been giving a good ol' think about rebooting this 3d sonic thing. But they don't want to commit to actually doing it, so large sweeping changes to characters, gameplay styles, themes and dynamics have been made over the years to KINDA do that. They still wish to play on your nostalgia but they don't primarily care about you as a customer so sweeping changes have been made to appeal to other people. And that's why I don't think anything will be done with this. At the end of the day they have to look at a bottom line and the bottom line is it ain't working and odds are their community mangers are communicating disdain as well. Its them feeling out shit.

Now i think the solution to their woes is, hire talented people and give them time and the money to make the games and tell the stories that make this series appealing. Clearly sega does not agree that investing that is the way to go apparently. Feeling out weird needless changes that they think will just fix everything for some reason it is, I guess. Some people might say " this shows they don't know what to do with anything " , I would agree.

This is all on top of me just getting the vibe , that an actual reboot reboot at least to me is seeming more and more likely. And I would not be surprised that if they ever did those adventure remakes people are clamoring for, that will be the proverbial monkey's paw.

• Thumbs Up 1

More Bumblekast, this time 105:

• Spoiler

• The topic was on Morality, so Snively and briefly Knuckles were brought up as a point of how a character's switch of sides can be interesting or perhaps take away some of what them interesting. The former joining the Freedom Fighters had little done to explore his change or even question his sincerity, so he was brought into the Eggman Empire to be reestablish the interesting dynamics and explore the moral implications of doing so.
    • A unanswered question about what happened to the Troll Civilization revealed that there is a minute information that has been deemed possible to mold into a safe-to-share bit of Lost Hedgehog Tales. He will try to ask certain individuals about other stuff that might not be swampy when the time is right since it's been a while.
    • Season 2 of IDW was not originally this long, but was extended due to format of trades and a need to showcase the extended cast to makeup for their rarity in the games.
    • Season 3 of Sonic X was due to popular demand in France and is apparently only recently being released in Japan. It's also confusingly being replayed to promote the Movie.
    • Whisper & Mimic is just a basic Wolf & Octopus with no particular species being intended. He acknowledges how Sonic, Big, and Cream could be considered a particular animal, but doubts it is intentional.
    • Sees crossover with MLP FIM as an inevitability and has a few thoughts about it, but is holding onto that to avoid spoilers whenever it does come up. He would like to see interaction between both worlds to go crazy if allowed(ex.Sonic vs Rainbow has to come up at some point :lol:).
    • Doesn't think Human vs Sonic's World should be as complex. Yuji Naka was apparently the one who came up with the Human World distinction and Iuzuka just inherited the eventual need to mention it out of house. 
    • The Super Genesis Wave changed everything, including Sally's bisexuality(or pansexuality according to Kyle) that was lightly founded in Spark of Life. Any nods to what come before were simple fanservice.

Something I just remembered:

• Spoiler

To him, there are two or three Central Cities, with the one in Battle being in the Sonic's World.

• Thumbs Up 3

16 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

The Super Genesis Wave changed everything, including Sally's bisexuality(or pansexuality according to Kyle) that was lightly founded in Spark of Life. Any nods to what come before were simple fanservice.

This confuses me a little. Is he saying Sally was bisexual in the old continuity?

3 minutes ago, Big Panda said:

This confuses me a little. Is he saying Sally was bisexual in the old continuity?

No, he's saying she was in New252. Basically acknowledging that she might've had some liking of Sonic early on as in SatAM/Archie, but nothing came of it.

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

No, he's saying she was in New252. Basically acknowledging that she might've had some liking of Sonic early on as in SatAM/Archie, but nothing came of it.

The way you worded it was confusing. Almost made it sound as if she was bi in old canon and full lesbian in new canon.

6 hours ago, DabigRG said:

6 hours ago, Big Panda said:

The way you worded it was confusing. Almost made it sound as if she was bi in old canon and full lesbian in new canon.

I'm thinking of attempting to report back on the Bumblekast's myself eventually, although, I'm probably going to just quote Ian directly instead of paraphrasing. It really does threaten to misconstrue some of the things he's saying if paraphrasing is done wrong. Hell, even quoting sometimes doesn't work because the inflections aren't the same. Sometimes people might think he's mad when he's actually being jovial and happy.

For the best experience, listening to the Q&A sections themselves would be for the best though.

55 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I'm thinking of attempting to report back on the Bumblekast's myself eventually, although, I'm probably going to just quote Ian directly instead of paraphrasing. It really does threaten to misconstrue some of the things he's saying if paraphrasing is done wrong. Hell, even quoting sometimes doesn't work because the inflections aren't the same. Sometimes people might think he's mad when he's actually being jovial and happy.

For the best experience, listening to the Q&A sections themselves would be for the best though.

Yeah, pretty much. I like to share information, but I'll admit I can be careless or overly picky about how I rephrase it as proper sentences. 

9 hours ago, DabigRG said:

More Bumblekast, this time 105:

•   Hide contents

• The topic was on Morality, so Snively and briefly Knuckles were brought up as a point of how a character's switch of sides can be interesting or perhaps take away some of what them interesting. The former joining the Freedom Fighters had little done to explore his change or even question his sincerity, so he was brought into the Eggman Empire to be reestablish the interesting dynamics and explore the moral implications of doing so.
    • A unanswered question about what happened to the Troll Civilization revealed that there is a minute information that has been deemed possible to mold into a safe-to-share bit of Lost Hedgehog Tales. He will try to ask certain individuals about other stuff that might not be swampy when the time is right since it's been a while.
    • Season 2 of IDW was not originally this long, but was extended due to format of trades and a need to showcase the extended cast to makeup for their rarity in the games.
    • Season 3 of Sonic X was due to popular demand in France and is apparently only recently being released in Japan. It's also confusingly being replayed to promote the Movie.
    • Whisper & Mimic is just a basic Wolf & Octopus with no particular species being intended. He acknowledges how Sonic, Big, and Cream could be considered a particular animal, but doubts it is intentional.
    • Sees crossover with MLP FIM as an inevitability and has a few thoughts about it, but is holding onto that to avoid spoilers whenever it does come up. He would like to see interaction between both worlds to go crazy if allowed(ex.Sonic vs Rainbow has to come up at some point :lol:).
    • Doesn't think Human vs Sonic's World should be as complex. Yuji Naka was apparently the one who came up with the Human World distinction and Iuzuka just inherited the eventual need to mention it out of house. 
    • The Super Genesis Wave changed everything, including Sally's bisexuality(or pansexuality according to Kyle) that was lightly founded in Spark of Life. Any nods to what come before were simple fanservice.

Something I just remembered:

That thing about the cast makes me feel like there are characters that we are not gonna see much after this year.

What do you mean as " Doesn't think it should be as complex " as like people are overthinking it or it should be made simpler?

I'm glad he has come to terms with the eventuality of the hedgehog smolhorse wars. N I G H T M A R E  S H A D O W  cometh

While I hate sally, the fan service thing is ...unfortunate. Did sega not want that sort of thing around, or did he just go scorched earth on anything resembling romantic attachment...or both

The thing about Sonic X season 3 is funny because its the season with like...the least humans in it.

14 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

That thing about the cast makes me feel like there are characters that we are not gonna see much after this year.

Oh, good point.

Granted, I already had doubts and concerns about how this arc will end, but still.

What do you mean as " Doesn't think it should be as complex " as like people are overthinking it or it should be made simpler?

Sorta the former.

The question was something about whether humans went extinct on Sonic's World and he pointed out that it can be as simple as, "If there are a good number of humans in an issue, then it's most likely the human world."

14 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

smollhorse NIGHTMARE SHADOW

IDW FIM is still going, isn't it?

While I hate sally, the fan service thing is ...unfortunate. Did sega not want that sort of thing around, or did he just go scorched earth on anything resembling romantic attachment...or both

Another thing I should clear up--the fanservice thing was referring to most of the few callbacks to the previous continuity.

He did generally take efforts to avoid romance if there wasn't anything interesting or crucial about it, though.

The thing about Sonic X season 3 is funny because its the season with like...the least humans in it.

Oh don't worry, they lampshade that.

The "best" connection Kyle can come up with is the traveling across worlds aspect and that's immediately nullified by Season 1 being truer to canon.

34 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Oh, good point.

Granted, I already had doubts and concerns about how this arc will end, but still.

Like while I have my misgivings about shadow. How he's been handled and how due to Ian Flynn's recent statement previous issues featuring the guy may have been rendered a bit moot.

Him not being the focus of a story doesn't mean he wont be around. He most likely will be. Big might actually show up for one annual and bounce and that kinda sucks

IDW FIM is still going, isn't it?

I think its gonna keep going till hasbro starts up thier new horse show in I think later this year? maybe next year. I genuinely wonder how that will turn out, lotta rumors and leaked info and junk

Another thing I should clear up--the fanservice thing was referring to most of the few callbacks to the previous continuity.

Oh ok that makes sense

Oh don't worry, they lampshade that.

The "best" connection Kyle can come up with is the traveling across worlds aspect and that's immediately nullified by Season 1 being truer to canon.

And then you find out that Tom the Cop has a nephew named chris thorndyke

1 minute ago, Shadowlax said:

Like while I have my misgivings about shadow. How he's been handled and how due to Ian Flynn's recent statement previous issues featuring the guy may have been rendered a bit moot.

Him not being the focus of a story doesn't mean he wont be around. He most likely will be. Big might actually show up for one annual and bounce and that kinda sucks

Image result for confused black guy

Anyway, moot in what sense?

I think its gonna keep going till hasbro starts up thier new horse show in I think later this year? maybe next year. I genuinely wonder how that will turn out, lotta rumors and leaked info and junk

The one with the same characters but more detailed or the one with the same characters but on angel dust?

And then you find out that Tom the Cop has a nephew named chris thorndyke

That'd be a reference that both makes sense and yet doesn't.

Chris IS apparently a SonicTeam character, you know.

19 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Image result for confused black guy

Anyway, moot in what sense?

Something you said I think a bit ago " Ian flynn might take some time to figure shadow out " or something to that effect. Its on the money, I think. He does need to figure shadow out, he doesn't really have a good grasp of who shadow is right now. Neither do we ( and neither does sega ) Ian Probably assuming the guy was the same, wrote a story assuming we all knew the deal. It was setting up some big thing and was less about shadow himself. When push comes to shove turns out we including Ian himself didn't know the deal. Turns out he's not the same guy, and I think and I could be wrong the story requires a much more compassionate version of the shadow doesn't exist and I don't think the moral quandary is going anywhere. So that issue meant to set up who he is , but was spent setting up a plot line is going to lead nowhere and effect nothing. Its kinda moot. It didn't matter that year, can't be executed correctly now, and bonus it doesn't even matter to this plot.

Bonus:

Spoiler

That kinda makes Ian " i'm gonna avoid shadow thing " feel a bit worse because It doesn't at least to me feel like shadow got his set up issue, his issue was to set up future plot. And it worked out for no one involved and he's seemingly getting punished for that. You know what makes it double worse, you can take that moral quandary out of this arc and effects nothing. Sonic can have this entire moral argument by himself and with other characters and it serves the same thing narrative. Yay.

The one with the same characters but more detailed or the one with the same characters but on angel dust?

The one where some of em are different types of magic horse than they were before they are also from different worlds . Applejack may not be coming back and spike gets a bit more prominence

That'd be a reference that both makes sense and yet doesn't.

Chris IS apparently a SonicTeam character, you know.

Chris is inescapable. He will make his return, one day.

On 1/10/2020 at 1:32 PM, DabigRG said:

•   Reveal hidden contents

"Sally was made Bisexual after the Super Genesis Wave" *Remembers the panel of her "Admiring" Mina's music in pre-reboot* ...Yeah I'm not too sure about that Mr. Flynn.

• Thumbs Up 3

7 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

"Sally was made Bisexual after the Super Genesis Wave" *Remembers the panel of her "Admiring" Mina's music in pre-reboot* ...Yeah I'm not too sure about that Mr. Flynn.

Explanation required, please.

9 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Which issue was that...?