Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Pickle could been easily replaced with Relic if she wasn't busy. Heck, Uncle Chuck could just visit library and fins Gaia Manuscripts. I guess some people like Pickle, but I never got why his cucumber sandwiches are so funny.

Madonna and Amanda Tower exist, but leave no impact.  Station Square could been populated by Mobians and saved by new FF side-group and story wouldn't be poorer in anyway. Same goes for any human key-guardian.

So after reading @Conquering Storm’s Servant and @Shadowlax posts I'm not even sure if we disagree or not.

Depends on what you call leaving an impact? Because replacing humans with mobians doesn’t do that in itself either. There’s a reason why Relic was busy or why Chuck couldn’t just go to the library—first off, Relic was interested in something entirely different, that being Angel Isle and could be used more to expand that part, and Chuck is not an archeologist like Prof. Pickle, who was the only character on the planet with the manuscripts and one of the few on the planet with the knowledge relevant to their cause, hence why he was deemed important for his part in the narrative as opposed to Chuck simply visiting a library.

I’m not saying humans are necessary, but they’re definitely not irrelevant when they’re given moments to take action or are given major parts just because they’re not mobians.

Trrrrue, but you can't turn Sonic or Blaze into human, and even if you can, few people will be glad. This is franchise about talking animals, it's save to assume that we prefer mobians.

No one played Star Fox and thought "this game would work better if Peppy was a human".

And no one played a Sonic game and thought “this would be better if he were a furry werewolf” or had aliens or wacky-colored trolls, gods, and demons, but surprises happen around the corner. 

I doubt anyone could prove how few people would be glad in a franchise as volatile as this—people said the same thing about the inclusion of a character creator feature in Forces being a possible bad idea before release, and it turned out to be the least worst aspect compared to Classic Sonic’s inclusion of all things.

But this franchise started with a talking animal and a human. Mobians just happen to comprise most of the cast, but people don’t prefer characters solely based on whether they’re anthros or not. That doesn’t define preferences especially when one of the most popular characters in this franchise is a human himself.

26 minutes ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Based on what?

Well whole discussion really boils down to this single question, doesn't it?

I say "I think we can all agree that majority of of fans prefer Mobian over humans", you say "Um, no."

And how do I disprove it? For me it's just seems logical, almost axiom. At the end of the day, different between humans and mobian is only one: design. Mobians just feel more natural next to Sonic and are more colorful, I though that was the whole point of making games about animals.
And Eggman? I could be stubborn and claim that we just got used to him, but that's leads to impasse. I guess making him sole human made him more special, with thin environmental message.
But there is very simple counterargument: Eggette. Fun and beloved character, based on pretty much on design alone.

So I guess I change my previous statement to something less black-white, but longer to say:
"Human in Sonic created SO FAR are less popular than mobians. Even important-ish ones, like Shara, Merlina or Pickle, pale in popularity of not just Silver or Rouge, but even  Chip and Marine (I can't prove it, but that's what I believe). It could be potentially changed if Sega introduced humans with really good design, rather than anime-ish look they went so far. Unleashed might been step in right direction, but didn't introduced any really major human character."

Can we at least agree on my previous point: that humans characters, while useful, aren't needed for IDW and wouldn't drastically change writing quality?

I think the big thing about removing humans to me is it makes the world feel shallower and less diverse. Throw in someone like me indulging in the Japanese side of things and seeing many human or human-like characters even pre-Adventure and their totally removal just doesn't sit right with me. And I'm not really concerned about popularity when I yearn to slow down in a stage and look at what is going on and see both humans and anthros coexisting going about their days as Sonic races by. That feels so much deeper to me and makes the world that much more engaging. Saying only one or the other is such a closed minded approach to me makes me want to ask the memed to death question of "why not both?". 

Kinda off but also on topic (since you were talking about it) is that I'm plotting a new fan fiction (in english this time) that will make good use of Eclipse, Madonna, Amanda Tower, Julian Snively and a couple more, with Shadow & Team Dark as focus of the story. Very excited about it, I hope you can read it once chapter 1 is ready. I was really into this mini-universe from Archie reboot and it freaking sucks that we never got to dive deep into it.

(For the record Shadow isn't an evil monster in it, he's the protagonist)

I know there’s now an extra 2+ weeks to go before issue 25, but could anyone please remind me when we usually get the initial preview pages? Is it the Friday before the release date? Thanks.

5 minutes ago, caitash said:

I know there’s now an extra 2+ weeks to go before issue 25, but could anyone please remind me when we usually get the initial preview pages? Is it the Friday before the release date? Thanks.

It's usually a Tuesday with added pages coming in 24 hours before the issue is out

All I'm wanna say is I agree with the general idea of Fan J.

I'm generally fine with Sonic having a varied cast that coexist and travel across many different locales/worlds/dimensions/timelines, sometimes within the same one. While my understanding of the leeway and tolerance of certain things has changed over the years, it's cool that there are such colorful crossovers inherent to the series and there are others that embrace that idea wholeheartedly.

3 hours ago, BlueSpeedsterYT said:

It's usually a Tuesday with added pages coming in 24 hours before the issue is out

Cool, thanks. I knew about the 24 hours before, but with the release dates becoming rather.... sporadic... to say the least, I’d lost track of when the initial preview pages land.

3 hours ago, BlueSpeedsterYT said:

So hopefully tomorrow then.

3 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

What do you think about Arc 1? Isnt it just recycling Sonic Heroe's plot?

First off, appreciate you actually trying to prod some genuine discussion here from time to time. Second, eeeh, it was alright? With good moments in places?

The Sonic Heroes "recycling" wasn't really an issue to me in part because they actually did something a little cool with it via Neo Metal's fights. There were other neat things like Amy's issue, Rough and Tumble's introduction, Mr. Tinker, Whisper's potential, and maybe Knuckles' personal stake, but overall, it was just sorta okay with a vague formula that stuck around more than it probably should've and a select few oddities.

• Thumbs Up 1

I mean, does having Metal Sonic transform immediately make it a heroes copy? Was Knuckles Chaotix retroactively a heroes copy?

Heck, the Arc didn't even have the full heroes cast. It took some beats from Heroes, but that's just because Heroes was an influential game. The story was different enough from heroes for me to consider it its own story.

• Thumbs Up 2

The cover and Solcit for Idw Sonic #28:

spacer.png

All or Nothing," Part Three!. Sonic's allies continue their missions against the Deadly Six, attempting to reclaim the Chaos Emeralds. Who will return from their final stands? And will they make it back before Sonic has to face Zavok? Fantastic battles continue as we reach the climax of the Metal Virus Saga.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

The cover and Solcit for Idw Sonic #28:

spacer.png

All or Nothing," Part Three!. Sonic's allies continue their missions against the Deadly Six, attempting to reclaim the Chaos Emeralds. Who will return from their final stands? And will they make it back before Sonic has to face Zavok? Fantastic battles continue as we reach the climax of the Metal Virus Saga.

Huh. Espio vs Zazz is not a battle I expected to see, but cool anyway. Cover too.

And yeah, figured Zavok would be part of the final fight; Master Zik and Zor must be a part of side battles or something. Although I'm noticing they say "reach the climax"--does that imply there's more to the final battle than what the trade format would?

EDIT: It just occurred to me that not only do they have the same color scheme despite polar opposite personalities, but Zazz does in fact have the ability to conjure exploding caltrops.

Yes, I assume it means the ending of the entire Saga of the Metal Virus. This should be good! It's part 3 of the arc which means Zazz is not the first fight this time, but closer to the climax. 

I'm wondering if this means #29 will be the end or if #30-33 will be the ending arc? I mean honestly I'm betting 29 will end the saga and 30-33 will be clean up/starting a new one but still the wording there is interesting.

7 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I'm wondering if this means #29 will be the end or if #30-33 will be the ending arc? I mean honestly I'm betting 29 will end the saga and 30-33 will be clean up/starting a new one but still the wording there is interesting.

It almost sounds like the latter, given that climax generally means the big built-up payoff rather than the ending itself and it says that this is reaching it.

1 hour ago, Jack at the Cinema said:

It's part 3 of the arc which means Zazz is not the first fight this time, but closer to the climax. 

Which while not all that notable is fitting, given he is the 2nd most recurring of the group and practically their mascot.

I just got into the IDW Comics recently & here are my thoughts on them. Hard to believe it's been nearly 2-years since these things started.

Looks like this winded up getting posted the same day as we get the new cover for #28. Interesting timing though.

On another note, despite Not liking the Zeti all that much. I'm still interested to see how things go from here with them. Yeah, their motives are still the same as before so not much different outside of other characters taking them on.

3 minutes ago, Blueknight V2.0 said:

I just got into the IDW Comics recently & here are my thoughts on them. Hard to believe it's been nearly 2-years since these things started.

Looks like this winded up getting posted the same day as we get the new cover for #28. Interesting timing though.

On another note, despite Not liking the Zeti all that much. I'm still interested to see how things go from here with them. Yeah, their motives are still the same as before so not much different outside of other characters taking them on.

Yeah, that's a bit of a concern with how much weight this arc had.

Still, better than the games have been doing with them since their debut.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I can agree there. I mean Zavok in Forces I thought was okay, mostly because that was a fake version. But Team Sonic Racing, which is canon, has him working for Eggman again!? Yet the only way to have known why was via the instruction manual. That's Not exactly a bad thing, but it would've been something to prevent confusion in-game.

That one Vecpio fan on Twitter's gonna be elated at the new cover. 

I can't say Jack because their work is the hot bomb but hey. 

20 minutes ago, Blueknight V2.0 said:

Yeah, I can agree there. I mean Zavok in Forces I thought was okay, mostly because that was a fake version. But Team Sonic Racing, which is canon, has him working for Eggman again!? Yet the only way to have known why was via the instruction manual. That's Not exactly a bad thing, but it would've been something to prevent confusion in-game.

Oh yeah, Zavok is pretty much the one textbook case of both differences of style when it comes to storytelling lately and also an example of a character that honestly could be relatively fine even interesting if he and much of what he has behind him was just better utilized.

16 minutes ago, Your Vest Friend said:

Hot bomb as in they're really talent or hot bomb as in shit?

17 minutes ago, Your Vest Friend said:

What’s this cover got to do with Vecpio?

Presumably the undercurrent of Espio fighting all out against the shameless Zazz with the recent loss of Vector powering him.

Speaking of which

Spoiler

Anyone else think the Zombots of associated characters will show up for these battles?

• Thumbs Up 1