Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Hot bomb as in solid gold good. 

And they're a Vecpio fan who also likes the D6 a lot. So not myself. 

14 minutes ago, Your Vest Friend said:

...then I officially don’t understand your original post lmao

3 hours ago, SBR2 said:

I'm wondering if this means #29 will be the end or if #30-33 will be the ending arc? I mean honestly I'm betting 29 will end the saga and 30-33 will be clean up/starting a new one but still the wording there is interesting.

I'm an idiot. I just realized that because #25 is a stand alone issue then #28 is the end of this arc so #29-32 is the end of the Metal Virus Saga. 

They don't need a "period" of worldbuilding, just do fun stories and the world builds itself.

Also how fucking long has this shit arc gone on? Feels like a year and a half. Awful idea, I'm amazed that anyone thinks Ian is good.

8 minutes ago, Heckboy said:

Also how fucking long has this shit arc gone on? Feels like a year and a half. Awful idea, I'm amazed that anyone thinks Ian is good.

It's been less than a year. The arc officially began in Issue 15 where Sonic first gets infected, and it doesn't even really get going until Issue 16. We aren't even on Issue 25 yet and with the release schedule of Twelve Issues monthly = a year, the arc has been going on for nine to ten months in terms of comic issues released, not even nearing the length of the first arc yet. The reason it feels like it's been going on longer than that is because IDW is notorious for delaying issues, which Sonic is no exception to. Ian can't exactly call up IDW and tell them to stop delaying Sonic because it's messing with his arc pacing.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Promotion 1

4 hours ago, Your Vest Friend said:

Huh. Guess they're allergic to fur.

4 hours ago, Big Panda said:

I hope the next period of the comic is some much-needed worldbuilding.

46 minutes ago, Heckboy said:

They don't need a "period" of worldbuilding, just do fun stories and the world builds itself.

These could be good. I'm prioritizing other characters personally, which also go in hand.

Say, since you decided to pop in, I wanted to ask: what are some Sonic comics you enjoyed?

40 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

It's been less than a year. The arc officially began in Issue 15 where Sonic first gets infected, and it doesn't even really get going until Issue 16. We aren't even on Issue 25 yet and with the release schedule of Twelve Issues monthly = a year, the arc has been going on for nine to ten months in terms of comic issues released, not even nearing the length of the first arc yet. The reason it feels like it's been going on longer than that is because IDW is notorious for delaying issues, which Sonic is no exception to. Ian can't exactly call up IDW and tell them to stop delaying Sonic because it's messing with his arc pacing.

27 minutes ago, caitash said:

Issue #25 is delayed again until 12 February. Blimey.

Timing!

Seriously though, I hope it's a helluva milestone.

13 hours ago, SBR2 said:

I'm an idiot. I just realized that because #25 is a stand alone issue then #28 is the end of this arc so #29-32 is the end of the Metal Virus Saga. 

But what if it continues from here; Zombot Six, attack on the human world, etc? Then this will likely be on its way to beating out Robotnik Rules as the longest arc in Sonic comic history. 

6 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

But what if it continues from here; Zombot Zeti, attack on the human world, etc? Then this will likely be on its way to beating out Robotnik Rules as the longest arc in Sonic comic history

It might make for an indefinite cliffhanger. Still, Zeti in the human world would be mad.

What was Robotnik Rules, again?

6 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

But what if it continues from here; Zombot Six, attack on the human world, etc? Then this will likely be on its way to beating out Robotnik Rules as the longest arc in Sonic comic history. 

I doubt it since Ian confirmed that it ends this year.

3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

It might make for an indefinite cliffhanger. Still, Zeti in the human world would be mad.

What was Robotnik Rules, again?

The arc that lasted from issues 8 to 100 of fleetway. That’s how long it was, though it had dozens of sub-arcs within.

3 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

The arc that lasted from issues 8 to 100 of fleetway. That’s how long it was, though it had dozens of sub-arcs within.

I wouldn’t call that an “arc” as much as I’d call it a “status quo”.

• Thumbs Up 1

Does it even matter how long an arc is if the sub-arcs are numerous and good? 

8 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Does it even matter how long an arc is if the sub-arcs are numerous and good? 

Er, yes and no. It's depends.

In this case, most of the subarcs are based around the same things.

The zombot arc makes it basically impossible for there to be sub-arcs about anything else, since this is an epidemic that is directly affecting every single person on the planet.

In comparison, Archie’s Shattered World arc allowed for plenty of room for sub-arcs since, while it affected the planet at large, it didn’t interfere with the day-to-day lives of its inhabitants for the most part. It also helped that the crisis as a whole had a lot more components to it that didn’t make it so same-y.

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Fist Bump 1

18 minutes ago, Big Panda said:

The zombot arc makes it basically impossible for there to be sub-arcs about anything else, since this is an epidemic that is directly affecting every single person on the planet.

In comparison, Archie’s Shattered World arc allowed for plenty of room for sub-arcs since, while it affected the planet at large, it didn’t interfere with the day-to-day lives of its inhabitants for the most part. It also helped that the crisis as a whole had a lot more components to it that didn’t make it so same-y.

I was gonna say damn about thinking the same comparison, but then it's just simply natural.

2 hours ago, Big Panda said:

I wouldn’t call that an “arc” as much as I’d call it a “status quo”.

When does something go from an “arc” to a “status quo”? 

3 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

Geez, it has been a while.

58 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

When it goes on that long and that consistently. Also is the bulk of what there is that early on.

1 hour ago, Miragnarok said:

They probably aren't exclusive. "Shattered World" was basically both. Or "Iron Dominium", "Mecha Sally" whole Legend of  Aang.

Arc has ongoing narrative. Not just "start" and "end", something in the middle makes progress. So let's say World Collide was only Arcs. Arguably "Enerjack Knuckles" but that's closer to 1 story told in 5 comics. Event are too tightly connected.

Status Quo serves as background for smaller stories. Sonic Satam was one big status quo, because not one  episode really lead to finale. Or when My Little Pony started "School of Friendship" that was change of status quo. There was no endgame to the school, it stayed part of the show till the end. Just new setting for new stories. Or when Sonic in Archie was in Space after #125. That was bunch of loose unconnected stories. There was no bigger narrative, so no "arc". Just a temporary status quo.

I suspect 90% of times Arc is sub-category to Status Quo.

A new cover by Adam Bryce Thomas has been released with the date of the volume "All or Nothing" that should conclude the Metal Virus saga. Spoils the matches against the Zeti and a couple of character appearances...

EPOb76jWoAQsrnh.jpg

• Thumbs Up 6

Based on what we know about artist info for upcoming issues, I’m guessing that’s #27 cover A.

EDIT: shit, new page

18 minutes ago, Jack at the Cinema said:

A new cover by Adam Bryce Thomas has been released with the date of the volume "All or Nothing" that should conclude the Metal Virus saga. Spoils the matches against the Zeti and a couple of character appearances...

EPOb76jWoAQsrnh.jpg

That's some heavy lifting for rouge. Interested to see how she approaches that one 

Given what another cover showed, and Knuckles' appearance in that cover...

Spoiler

Cream's going to be infected, but somehow cured via chaos energy, or the Master Emerald. For some reason, the Master Emerald can't cure everyone, which is why the group has to go against the D6 to get the chaos emeralds back. That's my theory, anyways.

• Thumbs Up 1