Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Very happy to see the Rogues pitch in. This really is an all-hands-on-deck situation. 

Also, it seems like Rouge has been laying low as of late to keep tabs on Eggy's crew. Clever.

2 hours ago, Jack at the Cinema said:

A new cover by Adam Bryce Thomas has been released with the date of the volume "All or Nothing" that should conclude the Metal Virus saga. Spoils the matches against the Zeti and a couple of character appearances...

EPOb76jWoAQsrnh.jpg

Spoiler

Suddenly Babylon Rogues. They really had nobody else for Master Zik, huh?

A bit surprised/disappointed that Knuckles is fighting Zazz alongside Espio.

Also, they're sending the Shapebots against Zavok?

That cover alone puts the D6 in a much more threatening light than we’ve usually seen them. Having most of the cast go up against one D6 member shows a different tone and scale of threat that was lacking in Lost Worlds.

32 minutes ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

That cover alone puts the D6 in a much more threatening light than we’ve usually seen them. Having most of the cast go up against one D6 member shows a different tone and scale of threat that was lacking in Lost Worlds.

That is true. The only one that was straightforwardly threatening was Zavok and his scenes were supershort.

Guess it shows the difference of getting down n dirty personally vs leaving Mega Maid on while trying to run a few varyingly inept people in your backyard. That and strength in numbers.

I do wonder/remember the idea of Knuckles and Amy tagging along or at least trying to do something against the Zeti themselves.

20 minutes ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

I love how the colors being used here is a callback to last year's Sonic Channel wallpapers!

Oh, is it?

Holy shit, I think you might be right!

It looks like all the survivors of the Snap are finally ready to take on Thanos and his army to save the ones they've lost. 

11 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Oh, is it?

Holy shit, I think you might be right!

Well Ziggyfin said via on Twitter:

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

It looks like all the survivors of the Snap are finally ready to take on Thanos and his army to save the ones they've lost. 

Thanos must've gotten stuck on the space toilet longer than usual.

6 minutes ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

Well Ziggyfin said via on Twitter:

This just reminded me: I was doing a colored version of that one post with all the IDW characters together that I was gonna post as a treat, but lost my progress when the computer unexpectedly shutdown and didn't save much of it.

The things you forget about.

I think the finale of the Metal Virus is gonna be Sonic #30, which is halfways through season 3, the latter half will probably be short stories under a new status quo (?), or at least that's what I hope, 1 issue stories that build up in a new situation, with a main arc going on in the background.

I agree with the D6 being more threatening here, no surprise at all, after all Lost World's dialogues and plot were garbage, Ian has flaws maybe but still, I trust him with any characters, and Lost World is probably the worst written Sonic game ever, so… it really shouldn't be hard to do better. (Even though people blame the Zeti for not being interesting, I think it was most likely Pontaff's fault, and the fact that there are six of them, which meant very short screentime for each of them in that game).

Edit: Info round-up of what we know about issue #25 plus "All or Nothing" based on the solicits:

Spoiler

#25: Sonic and the survivors find shelter on Angel Island, and team up with Knuckles, the Deadly Six now command the Zombots.

Part 1: Sonic and Eggman make a new plan to regain the Chaos Emeralds to stop the Metal Virus, the Zeti and Zombots are powered by the emeralds, but Sonic doesn't fight yet. The Babylon Rogues show up to help.

Part 2: The Restoration splits up, Tails and Amy confront Zomom, while Cream and Gemerl fight Zeena, and Cream apparently gets infected.

Part 3: Knuckles and Espio fight Zazz, the Babylons fight Master Zik.

Part 4: Sonic and Rouge prepare to fight against Zavok

Probably. And if this prediction is right, with IDW delays we might be free of this arc by September.

Honestly I think from how he talks about it Ian still considers this Season 2. I believe he said recently he wasn't expecting Season 2 to be this long.

4 hours ago, Jack at the Cinema said:

I think the finale of the Metal Virus is gonna be Sonic #30, which is halfways through season 3, the latter half will probably be short stories under a new status quo (?), or at least that's what I hope, 1 issue stories that build up in a new situation, with a main arc going on in the background.

Sounds about right. Nice even number, that.

I agree with the D6 being more threatening here, no surprise at all, after all Lost World's dialogues and plot were garbage, Ian has flaws maybe but still, I trust him with any characters, and Lost World is probably the worst written Sonic game ever, so… it really shouldn't be hard to do better. (Even though people blame the Zeti for not being interesting, I think it was most likely Pontaff's fault, and the fact that there are six of them, which meant very short screentime for each of them in that game).

To be a bit fair to them, they were a bit pigeonholed because of Colors & I guess Generations' success and were sorta thrown in with quite a bit to do above those quotas with:

• Six New Characters to establish going forward
    • two they were goodish with,
    • most of the others being okay/serviceable
    • one admittedly shitty one
  • six recurring characters to work with
    • only one or two of whom they were good at, with the others ranging from
      • okay
      • flawed/superficial backdrops
      • "we have little style/grace to work with characters like this one"
  • and an entire story they apparently came up with themselves.

Those are relatively high expectations that clearly stepped outta their comfort zone as a start with apparently little background in both regards to fill in with.

With that said, they are a good part of why Zeena (and looking at the mainstays, Tails) sucked. And they have admitted to having to rush the ending, which didn't really help either.

Edit: Info round-up of what we know about issue #25 plus "All or Nothing" based on the solicits:

Hide contents

#25: Sonic and the survivors find shelter on Angel Island, and team up with Knuckles, the Deadly Six now command the Zombots.

Part 1: Sonic and Eggman make a new plan to regain the Chaos Emeralds to stop the Metal Virus, the Zeti and Zombots are powered by the emeralds, but Sonic doesn't fight yet. The Babylon Rogues show up to help.

Part 2: The Restoration splits up, Tails and Amy confront Zomom, while Cream and Gemerl fight Zeena, and Cream apparently gets infected.

Part 3: Knuckles and Espio fight Zazz, the Babylons fight Master Zik.

Part 4: Sonic and Rouge prepare to fight against Zavok

Spoiler

You forgot Silver and Whisper vs. Zor, which is likely in place of the Rogues vs Master Zik.

It's also worth noting that Amy, Tails, Gemerl, and Cream are apparently fighting the Filler Two together in the issue proper if that cover is any indication. It's just that it's easier to condense them into those specific matchups because of this cover's theme and possibly because of what actually happens for a good chunk of that issue.

33 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Honestly I think from how he talks about it Ian still considers this Season 2. I believe he said recently he wasn't expecting Season 2 to be this long.

Wouldn't be the first time. Though this go round didn't have the Megaman Crossovers and the Genesis specials pause everything.

The graphic novel solicit reveals a couple more plotpoints

The world has completely fallen to the Metal Virus. Sonic the Hedgehog and his friends find themselves on Angel Island, the last safe place, launching a desperate plan with their old foe, Dr. Eggman, to defeat the Deadly Six and reclaim the Chaos Emeralds in a last ditch effort to save the world. 

Collects Sonic the Hedgehog issues #25-29.

9 minutes ago, Big Panda said:

The graphic novel solicit reveals a couple more plotpoints

So they are indeed on Angel Island and working  with Eggman. Nice clarification.

Guess the Babylonians were just hanging in their blimp the whole time.

9 minutes ago, Cinematic Speedster CC14 said:

Jon Gray cover. It's purty, as those tend to be: 

Oh no... 

Oh NO NO NO NO! 

12 minutes ago, Cinematic Speedster CC14 said:

Jon Gray cover. It's purty, as those tend to be: 

That cover is such a glorious mess. Like, what's Cream holding there?

Also, fuck Tangle, Starline, and Eggman apparently. :lol::

Spoiler

Looks like Rouge teamed up with Metal, while Knuckles appears to be in Carnival Night Zone.

And holy shit, Vanilla with Emerald power.

EDIT: Oh, it's Omega.

4 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I think that'd be one E-123 Omega's severed head.

5 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

It’s Omega’s head.