Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

At least it’ll end on a high note instead of mid-arc. Hell, at the very least I’m glad Archie managed to get one before their troubles the fan like a brick.

16 minutes ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

At least it’ll end on a high note instead of mid-arc. Hell, at the very least I’m glad Archie managed to get one before their troubles the fan like a brick.

Honestly, Archie died almost perfectly. End of Chaotix story, end of Shattered World. If only  we got "Mega Drive 3" as well...

And there is "Genesis of the Hero", but I don't know what would satisfy me. 290 is at least nice round number, but we also got hideous "Riverdale" commercial on our last cover. So maybe 289 would be preferable or even not starting this boring arc.

(Or course real perfect ending would be if Flynn had heads up and prepared. And I already said how I would end Archie.)

3 hours ago, Myst said:

IDW is in some financial trouble right now. Not looking good for the company.

Geez, what is going on?

Guess Sonic is a John now.

2 hours ago, Your Vest Friend said:

Doesn't change the fact it'd actually be hilarious if IDW Sonic died right as the metal virus arc ended.

Oh, that'd be awful under other circumstances.

20 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Geez, what is going on?

Guess Sonic is a John now.

What does that mean

Pff, that'd be some bad luck, but if it did canceled, at least Ian Flynn didn't bother planning out a whole lore this time. Less would have been lost?  But, if Sonic is one of their highest sellers, then there's no need to worry about that yet.

Well, hey, if IDW does go under because of their weird finance problems at least I got a good set of books out of it. I'm sure it'd even make a select few people happy. Though, it would be funny if they tried a third time with a different comic publisher. Just constant Sonic reboots until all the available options die out.

I don't think the end is near for now but I've always been mentally preparing myself regardless. The cartoons on their Youtube channel don't come out often enough to satisfy my itch for well written Sonic content and I can't rely on the games for shit so it'll be a heavy adjusting period to be sure if it ever happens.

• Thumbs Up 2

Eh, I doubt it's all that dire, and even if IDW has to start dropping licenses and Sonic happens to be one of them, this is the book Sega at least sort of shills that they'd probably preserve it under another publisher if they wanted Sonic comics to continue.

5 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

even if IDW has to start dropping licenses and Sonic happens to be one of them

Isn’t Sonic one of their best sellers right now? Why the heck would they drop it?

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Big Panda said:

Isn’t Sonic one of their best sellers right now? Why the heck would they drop it?

I'm just following along with the line of thought they're in enough trouble for that to happen. I don't think it would even get that far regardless and I'm somewhat doubtful this YouTube channel is that trustworthy of a source combing through their videos so whatever. There's at least articles attached to some news outlets that don't make me raise an eyebrow though.

17 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

Eh, I doubt it's all that dire, and even if IDW has to start dropping licenses and Sonic happens to be one of them, this is the book Sega at least sort of shills that they'd probably preserve it under another publisher if they wanted Sonic comics to continue.

Yeah, I guess I'm not too worried about the idea of them continuing Sonic comics in general. It would be a massive shame losing Starline, Tangle, Whisper, Rough, and Tumble so soon though. I can only imagine the massive amount of work that went into just creating them for this. 

We shall see. 

• Thumbs Up 3

7 hours ago, Myst said:

IDW is in some financial trouble right now. Not looking good for the company.

Someone should’ve warned me about the comment section

3 hours ago, Big Panda said:

Why did Archie let Sonic go?

35 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Why did Archie let Sonic go?

It's more like Sega let Archie go.

9 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

It's more like Sega let Archie go.

After what a shoddy legal job Archie were doing, can't really blame them.

5 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Yeah, I guess I'm not too worried about the idea of them continuing Sonic comics in general. It would be a massive shame losing Starline, Tangle, Whisper, Rough, and Tumble so soon though. I can only imagine the massive amount of work that went into just creating them for this. 

We shall see. 

Eh, to be honest, I don't think they'd be going anywhere if things were so bad the license gets pulled. Like I said before, I don't believe it's that dire and I don't think the channel is a super trustworthy source on its own; I couldn't really sit through the video and looking at the channel's other videos set off some red flags for me. Again, my thought process was more entertaining if something was happening at IDW that led to that extreme but things are hardly ever that cut and dry. And I also believe this comic and its characters would be saved and continued elsewhere since it's in a less dubious position than the Archie book was at times that there's almost no reason not to.

Then again it feels like Sega changes things at the drop of a hat when it comes to Sonic so...

1 hour ago, Nina Cortex Jovahexeon said:

After what a shoddy legal job Archie were doing, can't really blame them.

True. I think it's a few things, honestly, but I imagine the nail in the coffin was Scott Fulop suing Archie over the same shit Archie was fighting Penders over (which, in turn, had already impacted Archie's relationship with Sega). Archie was doing everything they could to keep the Sonic book alive, even at the expense of the rest of the Action imprint and in spite of the changes the company was going through relaunching their own properties. Even if I never liked the outcome, I can't say it was a wrong choice.

The post reboot cancellation  was the biggest loss for Sonic.

So much lore that was left to be explored.

One world

No classic Sonic

No Shadow meddling

As a person who has read comic's most of thier lives and has lived through the recent uh... uptick in comic book videos on youtube claiming that companies are going out of business because of various reason I don't blame anyone for looking at that video title and card and believing the exact opposite.

That said in the video he mentions one detail that a lot of those other videos claiming that the Marvel or DC comic print is going down the tubes. A lot of their stuff is licensed and they don't have movie deals/studios to back up their existence and the industry in general in many ways due to not adapting to the modern day and years and years of not doing so has caused comic sales in general to go down.

I don't believe him or anything, as far as I can see IDW seems fine. Its just that the guy in the video at least made the one point the other jerks claiming that a comic is going to die because of the " SJW's " or whatever haven't even bothered to make

15 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Well, hey, if IDW does go under because of their weird finance problems at least I got a good set of books out of it. I'm sure it'd even make a select few people happy. Though, it would be funny if they tried a third time with a different comic publisher. Just constant Sonic reboots until all the available options die out.

I don't think the end is near for now but I've always been mentally preparing myself regardless. The cartoons on their Youtube channel don't come out often enough to satisfy my itch for well written Sonic content and I can't rely on the games for shit so it'll be a heavy adjusting period to be sure if it ever happens.

I suppose if IDW does go under Boom Studios wouldn't be a bad place to go. They've done quality work with properties like Adventure Time and Power Rangers.

I spent all night looking for reports on Archie's finances and I couldn't find anything. Although, anything I could find I might not even be able to properly understand anyway. The reason I was looking for it is because Archie's continued existence, kind of baffles me like it does for Linkara. 

Looking at the solicits for all their February comics it's literally all just stuff dealing with the mainline Archie books, spin-offs from Archie, and one book about Cosmo the Martian. I know Archie's got a lot of clout and Riverdale is a thing that people like but is that really all they need to survive? It's really shocking considering how incompetent they were when it came to that Penders case. I feel like if Archie can stick around, IDW should be able to but IDW is the only one I'm able to see reports on losses. It's like the only one that puts out it's finances front and center for people to see while all the other comics are hush hush about it.

For all I know they could be doing just as bad but I've no way of really knowing. 

It might be best to worry only when it's eminent or obvious it's going to happen, like it kind of was for Archie went they stayed silent and kept us in the dark for months without a book. The constant IDW delays are concerning, with this being the first month where we're not getting an issue at all, but with the holidays ruining things and the book in question being so much bigger than before, it's a more understandable situation that balances things out a bit.

So, I don't know. Best not to worry or fret over it too hard right now. I'm really just hungry for my anime battles against the villains that these covers keep teasing me with. 

• Fist Bump 1

Cosmo's still going on?

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I listened to The Rise of Skywalker episode of Bumblekast since I saw it last week. I'll write something up for it later.

14 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Yup. They started a second miniseries. 

On a related note, they’re also about to do a Mighty Duck miniseries, with Ian as co-writer.

11 minutes ago, Big Panda said:

On a related note, they’re also about to do a Mighty Duck miniseries, with Ian as co-writer.

I'm actually really interested in that because Ian has it listed in his portfolio as a "Dark Comedy" which feels really different for him and I'm interested in checking it out.