Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

15 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Lost World was supposed to be a prequel comic, but after the issue was released I don't think SEGA have ever referenced it.

It's Secret Rings that's not really an example. 

Actually, checking back, no, Lost World doesn't fit the pattern I'm looking for, which is digital comics by Ian that are tied directly to game releases. Secret Rings had a comic that came on a disc at certain stores, and Shattered Crystal had it as an in-game extra. With Lost World, though, it was released physically for Free Comic Book Day and then redistributed in an Archie comic collection, so it's more the same as any of the "Another Time, Another Place" adaptation comics.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Lost World comic was billed as the official prequel, not a regular ATAP story. I should know, I remember the buzz around it being touted as such. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

The Lost World comic was billed as the official prequel, not a regular ATAP story. I should know, I remember the buzz around it being touted as such. 

Digital comics.

The old characters may be fair game, but I don't know if their use will be as liberal as with the Archie comic. Then again, if they're not considered part of the game continuity, the games will just ignore them being used for modern stories as before I guess. 

• Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

The old characters may be fair game, but I don't know if their use will be as liberal as with the Archie comic. Then again, if they're not considered part of the game continuity, the games will just ignore them being used for modern stories as before I guess. 

Bean will also probably now be a woodpecker. Seeing Bark as a framed gentle giant would be interesting. So I guess the Kukkus are now on the “dead list”, together with Black Doom and the like? Surprised Boom will appear as a sideshow, I thought Sega we’re letting it shrivel up and die.

They've not really confirmed any of the old characters' statuses. I guess rule of thumb is if their death was a focus of the plot, they're not for use here (So Black Doom, Biolizard, Solaris and the like). 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Tenko said:

"Bits from Classic and Boom", as in one shot comics, mini filler stories, off-panel type material? What? What damnit?!

I kinda think Boom might have a one-shot, while Classic might have stuff like filler stories. Boom (and hopefully the post-reboot) is also likely fair game for off-panel. 

• Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, Tenko said:

"Bits from Classic and Boom", as in one shot comics, mini filler stories, off-panel type material? What? What damnit?!

It means they can use material from those universes, such as characters and locations. 

So we have a fair chance of seeing Mighty and Sticks, for example, though it seems to me that this comic really will be its own universe.

• Thumbs Up 7

5 minutes ago, Forterror-Metallix said:

It means they can use material from those universes, such as characters and locations. 

So we have a fair chance of seeing Mighty and Sticks, for example, though it seems to me that this comic really will be its own universe.

Alright. I hope that if Archie/DiC stuff is barred, it can appear in a crossover with the old canon or at least in off-panel stuff.

• Nice Smile 1

See, I heard that Ian was getting to have a lot more freedom than he did in the Archie books which alleviated the worry of mine a bit that Sega Mandates could get in the way of good original storytelling in these books. If they still manage to hijack the book with Mandates though like not letting him use the obscure game characters then what's the point. That wouldn't be more freedom, that would be less freedom. 

I guess I liked that Flynn worked with the overall lore of the Sonic Franchise and didn't ignore a single bit of it. That's kind of the thing Sega needs is that kind of acknowledging consistency to their canon. That's another cute and awesome detail that made Sonic Mania a blast. It paid to be a Sonic fan who got into the whole lore of the series. 

It's like that thing with The Simpsons around Season 8. You don't want to betray your fans with a lacking pay off. But you also don't want to alienate newcoming fans. 

Like I get wanting to make a fresh new Sonic, but fans have attachment to old characters. There's a reason the main characters we have now are still here. That's why the Freedom Fighters also stuck out for so long. There was dedication and history yet it was still easy to jump into a new story because of Sonic being fairly self contained (unlike other comic book series koffkoff). 

I have no idea what's going on with the new book but it's nice to hear that old crew from Archie are returning. I just hope that they can do what they were doing but better. You know? Like let Sally and Nicole be openly gay for one thing. Maybe tighten up the character storytelling and let Sonic be friendly and really brotherly with Tails again and show an undying interest in what he does. Maybe even write a Knuckles that's more cultured in whatever his role as the Guardian of the Emeralds is. Maybe Amy has a life with other friends when she's not with Sonic? 

It's about taking what's there and making it better and making it new. And then yes. Maybe add new characters. But people like familiarity for a reason. And by familiarity we don't mean Green Hill Zone for the umpteenth time. 

We mean, have the ideas of the series coming to new conclusions. New scenarios where we meet new people in old and new places  and meet old faces in new situations. 

Don't get me wrong. A fresh start is good. But I'm going to miss things the way they were. I hope the Eggman Empire Loyals and Freedom Fighters stay around and more experimentation is allowed. It just feels that after both the comics and games were made to fit each other better in the books that starting completely fresh might even be a mistake. 

I have no worries about the writing being solid. 

I want to know that my patronage mattered in the long run or if I'm in for a reboot all over again but it takes away enough for me to stop caring altogether. 

• Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, Forterror-Metallix said:

-No Mephiles, apparently

So this is interesting, because apparently the last time someone wanted to use mephilies in the comics, sega said no. Eclipse was suppoused to be mephilies. And he was about to be used in the sonic runners mobile game, but that got shut down. And now, in the comics again... no. 

I'm super interested as to what the exact deal is

1 minute ago, Shadowlax said:

So this is interesting, because apparently the last time someone wanted to use mephilies in the comics, sega said no. Eclipse was suppoused to be mephilies. And he was about to be used in the sonic runners mobile game, but that got shut down. And now, in the comics again... no. 

I'm super interested as to what the exact deal is

The idea is that, as @VEDJ-F said above, Sega doesn't want any characters they've straight-up killed off coming back.

Bringing back Mephiles would be like bringing Maria back to life. This series runs on a pretty strict "dead is dead" mandate.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

"Mephiles is dead."

- Ian Flynn 2017

I mean he's the one who wanted to use him

I just wonder why he cant

18 minutes ago, Forterror-Metallix said:

The idea is that, as @VEDJ-F said above, Sega doesn't want any characters they've straight-up killed off coming back.

Bringing back Mephiles would be like bringing Maria back to life. This series runs on a pretty strict "dead is dead" mandate.

Why is Shadow back then...he died. His convoluted story arc in the games also didn't make it any more clear as to if he was the real one or one of Eggmans weird robot clone things post Heroes...

Oh wait..hes super popular. For whatever reason, so rules don't apply. Logic.

I was eager to see the possibility of seeing a Sally written by someone else, was hoping that, with someone else she wouldn't be as hateful to me as she was. Same for some other FF's.

So, ever since Ian was confirmed, I don't really wish them back anymore. Flynn has done a better job with some brand new characters like the Egg Bosses, so maybe there is hope for something cool.

Why is Shadow back then...he died. His convoluted story arc in the games also didn't make it any more clear as to if he was the real one or one of Eggmans weird robot clone things post Heroes...

To be they aren't the only ones to do that

I read comics, they tend to make a habit out of it

1 hour ago, Tenko said:

If I'm to be fair, it's important to remember that the thing with Shadow happened well over a decade ago at this point. I can't really think of another situation where it's happened which is why he's the only one who really comes to mind when specifically talking about this sort of thing.

Also, they did clarify in Shadow's game that he was the real one. They just did it in a really dumb, hidden away dialogue segment. They do that a lot in Shadow the Hedgehog I've noticed. Not just due to the terrible localization but important shit like the G.U.N Commander apologizing to Shadow, saying he just became a grandfather, and inviting Shadow over to his house is relegated to extra dialogue in the hard mode. For some reason. 

• Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, Tenko said:

Why is Shadow back then...he died.

He was presumed dead, but was revived by the next game anyway. Other characters like Mephiles or Black Doom didn't have that same luck, so they're off-limits.

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Also, they did clarify in Shadow's game that he was the real one. They just did it in a really dumb, hidden away dialogue segment.

Shows how much interest I had in that game haha. I went through it once, saw all the branching paths and went screw that and never returned.

Perhaps I should throw it in the Gamecube one weekend and give it another go. If there is still lore to glean no matter how horrid it's worth the slog.

• Nice Smile 1

Shows how much interest I had in that game haha. I went through it once, saw all the branching paths and went screw that and never returned.

Perhaps I should throw it in the Gamecube one weekend and give it another go. If there is still lore to glean no matter how horrid it's worth the slog.

Eh.... , i mean sure. Just don't try and go through all the endings. You will loose pieces of your soul. Just go through one ending, see what the game was, google the rest of the info, eat some ice cream and move on with your life far away from that game