Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

16 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Called it that Eggman would end up betrayed and having to run to Sonic for help.

Also, you have to love flawless Eggman logic. 

>enemies that can control robots with a simple hand motion and a few seconds

>sends deadliest robot at them immediately

Don't doubt the master plan. Sending a high priority target like Metal will get the attn of all six Zeti's - which will in turn buy Eggman the previous seconds he needs to retrieve his new conch - or whatever his emergency contingency plan is for this kind of situation. Either that or bail to the nearest escape pod.

Come to think of it, while their abilities to control mechas are impressive.... there has to be a limit right? Even if they can control small armies, if you throw enough at them I would have to think that they would get overwhelmed at some point. There is nothing to suggest they can control a planet's worth of zombots, what is Starline's endgame with this?

5 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

What is Starline's endgame with this?

There is none.

The whole point of bringing in the Six at all is to literally control the presently out-of-control situation that is the Zombots, when he finds Eggman too lazy to do it. He even made sure to grab the same [kind of] Conch that stunned and disabled them because he know they're going to betray them, because they hate Eggman that much. 

For all his preparedness, however, something is gonna happen to ruin this contingency, because they aren't interested in being enslaved again if they have anything to say about it.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Don't doubt the master plan. Sending a high priority target like Metal will get the attn of all six Zeti's - which will in turn buy Eggman the previous seconds he needs to retrieve his new conch - or whatever his emergency contingency plan is for this kind of situation. Either that or bail to the nearest escape pod.

D'oh, what an asshole! :lol: 

Come to think of it, while their abilities to control mechas are impressive.... there has to be a limit right? Even if they can control small armies, if you throw enough at them I would have to think that they would get overwhelmed at some point. There is nothing to suggest they can control a planet's worth of zombots, what is Starline's endgame with this?

Good question. They never really fully explored the parameters and extensions of that.

The closest I can think of would be World's Unite, where if I'm not mistaken, they were pretty much stationary due to actively controlling the Robot Masters, Reploids, & Gemerl and seemed pretty wiped after Eggman & Wily eventually intervened. Outside of that, it seems that at least Zavok can control more than one mech if his Mini-Dragoons were any indication.

That's probably what the emeralds are for, though.

Personally, I'm enjoying the IDW run, and the current Metal Virus saga. I'm kind of glad it has been extended, because to me, one of the strengths of a virus or a zombie story is seeing it overwelm the heroes. And I do really enjoy this dynamic of seeing an odd assortment of characters being forced to team up. Rouge being the survivor of Team Dark, Espio being the survivor of Team Chaotix, Silver going it alone, Whisper losing Tangle and Jewel. Kindof surprised we still have the main 4 though of Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy, I feel like one of them needs to get infected soon just for one last gut punch for Sonic. If it was Tails, that would work especially since you'd lose your best hope of synthising a cure or figuring some sort of plan.

(Got to love Blaze being absent during all of this like she was in Forces. I have this mental image in my head that while Sonic and co are all struggling with the apocalypse, it cuts to Blaze in a bikini on a sun lounger on a beach on a nice day drinking a tequila. "Ah, this is the life. Wonder what Silver's up to?" "EVERYONE I KNOW IS DEAD! WE'RE DOOMED!")

Still, I'm not sure how much longer I want this to last. We do know it will be at least 4 more issues, but I kindof hope it doesn't take more than 8 more, I do think we need to be past the halfway point by now. Not to mention just have some breathing room. Personally, it seems like one facet of world building that the IDW run is really establishing a rogue's gallery. Eggman, Metal Sonic, Dr Starline, The Deadly Six, Mimic, The Babylon Rogues, Rough and Tumble. Wouldn't surprise me if this arc ends with all of these villians effectively split up off against each other, each with their own agendas that could give Sonic and Co a lot of trouble. Not to mention we don't want to immedietly to start up the next Eggman plot.

There is also the issue that with so many characters effectively nothing more than zombies with their original personalities absent, the longer this saga lasts, in effect the longer the infected characters themselves are absent from the comic. Yu-Gi-Oh GX did a brainwashing plot that lasted for something like 40 episodes, and when main characters Chazz and Alexis were brainwashed early on, it meant they just acted like zombies with little of their actual personality for a long time, and it got tedious waiting for their true selves to finally return to the show.

The Annual being focused on the Metal Virus is interesting, I hope it isn't too bleak. Not a fan of it being 6 stories this time, assuming it has the same length as the 2019 Annual, as I felt it should maybe cut a story so that the 4 stories could have another pages to breath. Still, should be effectively a nice tie-in for the saga.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Silvereyes said:

Kindof surprised we still have the main 4 though of Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy, I feel like one of them needs to get infected soon just for one last gut punch for Sonic. If it was Tails, that would work especially since you'd lose your best hope of synthising a cure or figuring some sort of plan.

Well we know there will be at least 1 more infection from the front cover solicits as the remaining heroes go to collect the Chaos Emeralds. I’m willing to bet that there will be more as characters either get accidentally infected or deliberately infect themselves as a sacrifice to make sure that the Chaos Emeralds are retrieved safely. I’m now not convinced at this point that Sonic will fully turn, although seeing his state in issue 25’s preview pages really does make me want it more.

The upcoming arc is something I've been wanting for quite some time, honestly. Deadly Six fleshed out (perhaps)? Check. Heroes fighting each one of the Zeti? Check. The pairs and matches are gonna be interesting. The Chaos Emeralds powering up bad guys is a cool plus. I'm pretty sure they can't top this climax, at least for this arc, it's gonna be the conclusion.

Btw, I'm fairly sure Starline is not gonna be around for the next issues after 25, it doesn't bode well for him… well, he's gonna exit somehow, I've been there a lot of times with various fictional characters.

12 hours ago, Silvereyes said:

(Got to love Blaze being absent during all of this like she was in Forces. I have this mental image in my head that while Sonic and co are all struggling with the apocalypse, it cuts to Blaze in a bikini on a sun lounger on a beach on a nice day drinking a tequila. "Ah, this is the life. Wonder what Silver's up to?" "EVERYONE I KNOW IS DEAD! WE'RE DOOMED!")

Actually, she was originally in the arc and would've had to deal with the moral dilemma of having the power to permanently deal with Zombots at the cost of killing whoever they were. This was quickly agreed upon during conceptualization to be too dark, so they had her bow out beforehand. 

Personally, it seems like one facet of world building that the IDW run is really establishing a rogue's gallery. Eggman, Metal Sonic, Dr Starline, The Deadly Six, Mimic, The Babylon Rogues, Rough and Tumble.

Wouldn't surprise me if this arc ends with all of these villians effectively split up off against each other, each with their own agendas that could give Sonic and Co a lot of trouble. Not to mention we don't want to immedietly to start up the next Eggman plot.

That reminds me that they aren't on the variant cover.

But yeah, they'll basically go back to whatever they were doing while Eggman & Starline presumably take a break. Assuming they don't get removed from play.

12 hours ago, Silvereyes said:

The Annual being focused on the Metal Virus is interesting, I hope it isn't too bleak. Not a fan of it being 6 stories this time, assuming it has the same length as the 2019 Annual, as I felt it should maybe cut a story so that the 4 stories could have another pages to breath. Still, should be effectively a nice tie-in for the saga.

Did they say how many pages it would be?

6 hours ago, Jack at the Cinema said:

The upcoming arc is something I've been wanting for quite some time, honestly. Deadly Six fleshed out (perhaps)? Check. Heroes fighting each one of the Zeti? Check. The pairs and matches are gonna be interesting. The Chaos Emeralds powering up bad guys is a cool plus. I'm pretty sure they can't top this climax, at least for this arc, it's gonna be the conclusion.

Eh, I don't know about fleshed out just yet.

Like sure, Zavok will likely get some decently meaningful screentime/focus here that he hasn't really been getting elsewhere, Zor will get to torment Whisper & Silver, and I've already called Zeena subverting a Cat Fight with Cream a move to make her more vicious, but I kinda doubt it'll be much more than that.

Wouldn't mine being more wrong, though.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Actually, she [Blaze] was originally in the arc and would've had to deal with the moral dilemma of having the power to permanently deal with Zombots at the cost of killing whoever they were. This was quickly agreed upon during conceptualization to be too dark, so they had her bow out beforehand.

Source?

I don't listen to Bumblekast, but usually someone summarizes them here.

26 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Source?

I don't listen to Bumblekast, but usually someone summarizes them here.

Bumblekast(With a K, not a C) Episode 108, which I listening to again right now, actually. Forgot to summarize that and maybe The Rise of Skywalker episode last week.

I also forgot to mention that she will apparently have some role to play soon, though I'm not sure of the context.

9 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

Let's avoid that drama...

I just dont want it to ruin other freelance work but probably best avoided than. Mods can remove please than

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

What's that about?

Pretty big issue with the sonic tag on twitter right now which is why I was surprised no one here talked about it. Rafa is going around saying that Sega under payed them and promised them a lot of job opportunities from what I understand and that they were not continuing to be paid a real wage. But Aaron came in this morning to call them out saying that they were contracted and not a full time salary job working. and that them acting like this and breaching contract is why he had to stop working with them but wished them the best overall. A lot of other artist have been saying the same thing Aaron down but Rafa is holding to what they believe.
Again if an issue the mods here do not want to have discussed please do remove. I figured this would be something big tied to the comic seeing Aaron himself jumped in to debunk the claims.

It seems they took on a small freelance contract and didn’t read it or otherwise misunderstood it to be a full-time employment position at SEGA and didn’t bolster their income with other freelance work. Even Tyson Hesse weighed in about how freelance contracts ACTUALLY work, so I don’t think Rafa understood this. Now Rafa is complaining about SEGA, but it seems that their attitude to the whole thing (and to other Sonic artists) is what caused them the most issues. You don’t cause issues for other artists in your field, and if you’re a freelancer who becomes an absolute pain to your client then the client is free to look elsewhere for someone to do their other work, and either not renew their contract with you or end it early if there is a ‘get-out’ clause in there.

I don’t really think it has much to do with the IDW comics except for like.... 1 cover artwork though.

But back on topic... the longer this delay goes on, the more time I’m spending wondering about the changes the metal virus inflicts upon each host. We know their body changes visually, but does it change their mind? Are they conscious of everything while they’re under control or are they basically sleepwalking. The way Sonic hits the ground in issue 25 previews suggests that when the metal virus is taking hold of his body, his weight increases due to the metal content. Could the D6 control the metal parts of an infected citizen (say, Sonic’s legs) or would the victim have full control of themselves until they are fully turned. Etc etc etc. I hate these delays they’re making me think and overthink lol XD

• Thumbs Up 2

We won't know if the hosts are conscious (and by extension if they'll remember everything, or at least some things) until they're cured I suppose. Pretty sure I hadn't even thought about that until now, oof.

Oh, okay. 

13 hours ago, caitash said:

It seems they took on a small freelance contract and didn’t read it or otherwise misunderstood it to be a full-time employment position at SEGA and didn’t bolster their income with other freelance work. Even Tyson Hesse weighed in about how freelance contracts ACTUALLY work, so I don’t think Rafa understood this. Now Rafa is complaining about SEGA, but it seems that their attitude to the whole thing (and to other Sonic artists) is what caused them the most issues. You don’t cause issues for other artists in your field, and if you’re a freelancer who becomes an absolute pain to your client then the client is free to look elsewhere for someone to do their other work, and either not renew their contract with you or end it early if there is a ‘get-out’ clause in there.

I don’t really think it has much to do with the IDW comics except for like.... 1 cover artwork though.

But back on topic... the longer this delay goes on, the more time I’m spending wondering about the changes the metal virus inflicts upon each host. We know their body changes visually, but does it change their mind? Are they conscious of everything while they’re under control or are they basically sleepwalking.

1 hour ago, Celestia said:

We won't know if the hosts are conscious (and by extension if they'll remember everything, or at least some things) until they're cured I suppose. Pretty sure I hadn't even thought about that until now, oof.

That was also an aspect of Roboticization, according to Uncle Chuck.

13 hours ago, caitash said:

The way Sonic hits the ground in issue 25 previews suggests that when the metal virus is taking hold of his body, his weight increases due to the metal content. Could the D6 control the metal parts of an infected citizen (say, Sonic’s legs) or would the victim have full control of themselves until they are fully turned. Etc etc etc. I hate these delays they’re making me think and overthink lol XD

I suppose it's possible. We'll probably see that in the rematch with Zavok.

My little pony is finally doing a transformers crossover as per idw fashion.  Saying it again sonic will meet the autobots and ponies eventually

9 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

My little pony is finally doing a transformers crossover as per idw fashion.  Saying it again sonic will meet the autobots and ponies eventually

Well Ian is writing it and said he'd be down for a Sonic crossover so who knows? 

Personally I'm still in the camp for TMNT more but still.

1 hour ago, Meta77 said:

I considered mentioning that, but as you said, this is something that is arguably more earned at this point.

Er, tradition, you said?

42 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I considered mentioning that, but as you said, this is something that is arguably more earned at this point.

Er, tradition, you said?

IDW comics is known for having a LOT of crossover properties through the years. My little pony and transformers, transformers and gi joe, tmnt stuck in a lot. Granted it may be a bit to early in sonic idw life but i can see him showing up in some other stories down the line maybe late mid next year

1 hour ago, Meta77 said:

IDW comics is known for having a LOT of crossover properties through the years. My little pony and transformers, transformers and gi joe, tmnt stuck in a lot. Granted it may be a bit to early in sonic idw life but i can see him showing up in some other stories down the line maybe late mid next year

Holy shit, GI Joe. And yes, it definitely is.

Still, how the hell do you cross most of those over with Transformers?

36 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Hey man, you never answered muh question.

Holy shit, GI Joe. And yes, it definitely is.

Still, how the hell do you cross most of those over with Transformers?

1070745.jpg

granted the mlp story will be lighter in tone im sure but seeing the Metal virus sonic may can get a more serious tone story with them.