Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

8 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Given his tweet, seems to be. 

But I daresay it still has a tiny bit of relevance here; it seems that the statement he made about there being "More than I could ever expect" wasn't related to the IDW comic itself but this. 

I don't think that tracks. Wasn't "more than I could ever expect" a pretty recent statement? Seems like a really short turnaround time for a comic, even a short one that probably has to go through official approvals and all.

• Thumbs Up 2

Dead is dead true, but it doesn't mean anything for flashbacks. as long as they can reference barred material now in flashbacks for relevant future plot points then I don't mind.

I always hated how Ian how to skirt around mandates when referencing games that were mandated in flashbacks.

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, goku262002 said:

Dead is dead true, but it doesn't mean anything for flashbacks. as long as they can reference barred material now in flashbacks for relevant future plot points then I don't mind.

I always hated how Ian how to skirt around mandates when referencing games that were mandated in flashbacks.

Or maybe if they come back as undead somehow? 

14 hours ago, Tenko said:

"Bits from Classic and Boom", as in one shot comics, mini filler stories, off-panel type material? What? What damnit?!

I'd say their own Books or Miniseries. Remember IDW isn't as cheap as Archie.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:59 PM, Forterror-Metallix said:

More updates from today's Sonic stream:

-This is primarily a Modern-based comic, but look forward to bits from Classic and Boom

I always liked the way the Archie comic under Ian seemed to handle it, which was that Classic Sonic was basically just Kid Sonic. It'd be cool if they approached it the same way in the IDW comic.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

I always liked the way the Archie comic under Ian seemed to handle it, which was that Classic Sonic was basically just Kid Sonic. It'd be cool if they approached it the same way in the IDW comic.

Too bad Sega didn't like that. Ian had to later sneak it in.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, antyep said:

Too bad Sega didn't like that. Ian had to later sneak it in.

Huh, I didn't know that. Shame, I'm not personally much of a fan of the "alternate dimension Sonic" angle when having it just be a younger version makes better sense.

1 hour ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

Huh, I didn't know that. Shame, I'm not personally much of a fan of the "alternate dimension Sonic" angle when having it just be a younger version makes better sense.

Sega doesn't make sense. I just like to think that Classic Sonic, in Forces, is still the same Sonic, but his timeline taken a new direction after time travel in Generations (multiverse theory).

But yeah, Sega just doesn't want Sonic to have a sense of 'aging'.

10 minutes ago, antyep said:

But yeah, Sega just doesn't want Sonic to have a sense of 'aging'.

Ironic, considering Generations is about Sonic's birthday :V

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

To be fair, Classic Sonic being "Kid Sonic" isn't really.. "Classic Sonic". Sonic was always portrayed as a teenager even in the 90s (a bit older than Modern funnily enough), and his redesign in Adventure was always just a redesign... until they flip flopped on it in Generations and made it an actual in-universe thing (despite still claiming Sonic has always been the same age), and then settling on the alternate dimension thing. 

3 minutes ago, Razule said:

To be fair, Classic Sonic being "Kid Sonic" isn't really.. "Classic Sonic". Sonic was always portrayed as a teenager even in the 90s (a bit older than Modern funnily enough), and his redesign in Adventure was always just a redesign... until they flip flopped on it in Generations and made it an actual in-universe thing (despite still claiming Sonic has always been the same age), and then settling on the alternate dimension thing. 

I feel like retconning his age in the classic games would be far less egregious than other continuity changes they done, but really lore in Sonic is so nebulous that none of this really matters anyway. You can treat him as being a younger Sonic or a Sonic from another dimension and both kinda work just fine, it's only in the comics where they're able to start fresh and establish a more coherent continuity that it might actually make a difference. Personal preference would be that they go with age and not dimensional stuff.

Yeah, people act like "the classic and modern are separate branches" is a very recent thing but I seem to recall the comics not being allowed to use the classic designs in flashbacks and such even though Generations had set a precedent for it. They only made exceptions for special occasions, like using classic (or classicish) designs in anniversary stories, such as Mega Drive.

Depends on what guidelines SEGA gives them then. If they can use Classic Sonic whenever then maybe we'll see him in flashbacks, if not, we look forward to the sight of a suspiciously Classic Sonic-shaped shadow.

Oh no, Classic Eggman is who gets the suspicious shadows. Classic Sonic had green eyes, but you can still see his pudgy belly that Sega seemed to overlook.

• Thumbs Up 3

If SEGA says Classic is separate, then I just want IDW to take that idea and run with it. Give us all the Classic cast, maybe have some more (but not exclusively) Mega Drive-type Adventures.

Heck, if Sally and the rest are no-go for the new book, maybe they can live on in Classic? I'm sure some would argue they're a better fit there.

• Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Some of their mandates and guidelines are pretty old fashioned or nonsensical. I too thought the way it was handled in the comic was very well done and great fan service to boot. Now treating standard Sonic fare as separate to the likes of Boom I can understand.

But not wanting to use the classic era style to portray a younger Sonic or show events in the past really doesn't make sense, especially when like it or not Sega, most people that see the main games as some sort of timeline of events see the classic era games as the "past" and the modern era titles as the "future" of said last, not only in real life but in their own headcannon. As people have pointed out even Sega themselves wrote into that with Generations. The flip flopping on the subject is kind of annoying.

• Thumbs Up 3

4 hours ago, Celestia said:

Yeah, people act like "the classic and modern are separate branches" is a very recent thing but I seem to recall the comics not being allowed to use the classic designs in flashbacks and such even though Generations had set a precedent for it. They only made exceptions for special occasions, like using classic (or classicish) designs in anniversary stories, such as Mega Drive.

Yep, it's what I've said about their reasoning for a long time now. Even the reboot had to do a whole bunch of gymnastics to sort of circumvent the rules.

1 hour ago, Tenko said:

As people have pointed out even Sega themselves wrote into that with Generations. The flip flopping on the subject is kind of annoying.

And as I've pointed out, I think that can be chalked down to the English writers writing it that way. Even when Generations came out, Iizuka was quick to say that classic Sonic was an alternate Sonic, not younger Sonic. 

2 hours ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

If SEGA says Classic is separate, then I just want IDW to take that idea and run with it. Give us all the Classic cast, maybe have some more (but not exclusively) Mega Drive-type Adventures.

Unfortunately there's mandates on that too, which is why the cast you see is usually very limited. I don't know they might allow the forgotten cast to make appearances or cameos, but the classic Chaotix are most certainly off the table for example. 

• Thumbs Up 1

about this "classic sonic prohibition" in the comics, it seemed they were loosening it, in the latter issues (and by latter i mean after worlds unite, i think starting at #277) classic sonic was being used in flashbacks more often, with black irises and all, i can't recall all the times this happened, but in #281 i'm pretty sure he appeared full classic.

• Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, NikoS said:

about this "classic sonic prohibition" in the comics, it seemed they were loosening it, in the latter issues (and by latter i mean after worlds unite, i think starting at #277) classic sonic was being used in flashbacks more often, with black irises and all, i can't recall all the times this happened, but in #281 i'm pretty sure he appeared full classic.

I assumed they were easing up because of the anniversary. And that had the comic continued beyond that they would've gone back to the same restrictions as before once it was over.

• Nice Smile 2

1 hour ago, NikoS said:

I've found myself wondering around this thing lately.

What if the fact how game cast (I suppose the other characters aren't too big of a deal, about every charater ended up having "black and white" eyes) was drawn more classic-y in the GoaH arc was one of those reasons Sega withdrew the license from Archie/whatever happened?

There was that thing about "what's okay for Sega today may be a no-go tomorrow and another way around" though...

I don't see this being a reason, since Sega not only gave the greenlight for the issues to come out, but also GoaH part 1 was one of the rare issues that the official Sonic accounts promoted

• Nice Smile 1

I'm glad that it appears that SEGA is loosening the mandates. This will allow for better stories and the creative freedom that Ian Flynn wanted without the baggage that Archie had brought.

8 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

And as I've pointed out, I think that can be chalked down to the English writers writing it that way. Even when Generations came out, Iizuka was quick to say that classic Sonic was an alternate Sonic, not younger Sonic. 

I believe you, but do you have a source? For future reference.

If they do portray Sonic as younger during the Genesis adventures, I'd prefer if they just used the Modern-Classic fusion they did before. Either that, or give an explanation for their eye colors changing, like anthro puberty. 

On 10/13/2017 at 6:39 AM, SBR2 said:

I'd say their own Books or Miniseries. Remember IDW isn't as cheap as Archie.

I’m pretty sure they confirmed elements from those would be used. Maybe we’d get a Classic mini-series for the 30th anniversary?