Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

On 2/21/2020 at 9:57 AM, Kuzu said:

The solicitations for May 2020 are out.

Hide contents

Guess it's down to Sonic & Silver to save the day....and wow, we're really going to go the entire arc with Sonic never transforming aren't we...what was even the point?

On 2/21/2020 at 9:58 AM, Big Panda said:

Covers:

0-EA81-EA2-AFCC-496-F-95-CC-1829402-A60-

6-CAD89-CD-540-F-4382-A6-F4-EF98-E89-FB8

(what the fuck...?)

EDIT: I’m just now realising Cubot is supposed to be behind Orbot. Honestly thought he’d shrunk for some reason lmao.

On 2/21/2020 at 11:07 AM, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

We also have previews of issue 26

Reveal hidden contents

ERT4v3LXUAMfJ6l?format=jpg&name=large

ERT4woPXkAAcQZR?format=jpg&name=large

ERT4xO8W4AELQIj?format=jpg&name=large

He's gonna drop any moment now.

Woah, that was fortuitous!

Spoiler

Did Sonic almost trip or something?

Guess that further explains why Espio is emphasized on that one cover.

On 2/21/2020 at 10:19 AM, StaticMania said:

Orbot doing "a lassy" as he does in Lost World because why not?

Omega's just a head, and the reference can be done again.

A what?

On 2/21/2020 at 11:24 AM, Big Panda said:
  Hide contents

lmao at Knuckles’ reaction to the island potentially imploding

On 2/21/2020 at 12:01 PM, Kuzu said:
  Hide contents

Knuckles making a surprising amount of sense. 

Oh yeah, Knuckles is actually pretty thoughtful when he's not being pissed off.

4 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Dont know if this posted but a bumblekast moment detailed on reddit

It's just weird man.

thathat 

Cream and the Deadly Six, really?

3 hours ago, thumbs13 said:

In all seriousness, TSR Shadow being the future doesn't make sense. Wasn't TSR made by Sumo Digital, and not Sonic Team? Shouldn't Forces be the game they're looking at? It's not like they're using TSR's Zavok or anything.

3 hours ago, Big Panda said:

Sega were likely ones who instructed Shadow’s characterisation in TSR to begin with.

We still don't know who actually wrote that game's story and even ignoring that, there are weird incongruencies that might show evidence that the game's story might've been changed at some point.

2 hours ago, Jack at the Cinema said:

I'm sick of talking about Shadow in IDW, but Why isn't Forces!Shadow as interpretation of the character an option here? It's his last main game appearance, it would make sense to use that and it wasn't bad honestly. I assume that Shadow is SoJ work while this comic is under the strings of SoA. Ugh.

That's not a bad question, actually.

52 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

In Team Racing he has whole 1 cut scene devoted to him.  He's kinda a prick, but doesn't really do anything.

He was basically there to challenge Sonic and investigate Eggman's plan, but like you said, he doesn't do all that much there.

Better or worse than Amy, though?

Forces isn't much better. In main story he shows little personality,

He's not in it much, to be honest.

in his own episode he's just constantly confused by everything.

Phantom Ruby'll do that to ya. There was cut lines, though, weren't there?

Only flashback to beating up "Zero the Jackal" was strong character moment and like I said before, it's jackass dumb move only from time perspective. Sonic gives wedgies to plenty of low lives and none of them turned into Infinite.

Well I think we've discussed why that was.

7 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

It doesn't...

I know.

It's Shakespeare, not a dog trying to save a little boy in a well.

1 minute ago, Shadowlax said:

There are a lot of people who didnt like amy in tsr

Thought it was fine

I remember it feeling like she was supposed to be the protagonist of the first act or so of the game, but she never actually does anything beyond judging Sonic, Shadow, & Big or getting Tails & Knuckles' input.

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

I know.

It's Shakespeare, not a dog trying to save a little boy in a well.

I remember it feeling like she was supposed to be the protagonist of the first act or so of the game, but she never actually does anything beyond judging Sonic, Shadow, & Big or getting Tails & Knuckles' input.

She judges people? Damn maybe I just forgot the whole plot. Forgive me it was , bare.

2 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

She judges people? Damn maybe I just forgot the whole plot. Forgive me it was , bare.

Understandable.

But yeah, she treats Big like he's fiveand there's at least one moment where she asks Sonic to stop dicking around. Which is kinda funny, but you know.

Just now, DabigRG said:

Understandable.

But yeah, she treats Big like he's fiveand there's at least one moment where she asks Sonic to stop dicking around. Which is kinda funny, but you know.

I kinda felt no one was weird in that game's story. It's a spin off so my expectations for characterizations is to play up competition and it does just that.

I think the in game lines are actually where the writing kinda fails. Which makes them worse. Everyone can point to tails, but shadows lines are kinda generic and awful, rouges are in some cases weirdly really sexual even for her. The fuck even is a zavok and his lines are nothing. And then metal doesn't even talk. There are a few gems but the in game dialog tends to be annoying at best or at just awful at worst. I hope the next game whatever that might be , the in game dialog isnt that.

4 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I kinda felt no one was weird in that game's story. It's a spin off so my expectations for characterizations is to play up competition and it does just that.

I guess that's fair. You can tell they were being a little cheeky with Big( & at one point Omochao) and Zavok's borderline OoC, but it's fine enough overall.

4 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I think the in game lines are actually where the writing kinda fails. Which makes them worse. Everyone can point to tails, but shadows lines are kinda generic and awful, rouges are in some cases weirdly really sexual even for her. The fuck even is a zavok and his lines are nothing. And then metal doesn't even talk. There are a few gems but the in game dialog tends to be annoying at best or at just awful at worst. I hope the next game whatever that might be , the in game dialog isnt that.

Really now? I seem to recall a number of them being kinda fun and there were comments supporting them after the game came out.

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I guess that's fair. You can tell they were being a little cheeky with Big( & at one point Omochao) and Zavok's borderline OoC, but it's fine enough overall.

Really now? I seem to recall a number of them being kinda fun and there were comments supporting them after the game came out.

We could have different opinions. I just found so many of them just...dull. or weird in a bad way

2 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

There are a lot of people who didnt like amy in tsr

Thought it was fine

I thought people just hated that she invited Omochao to a picnic and allegedly forgot about cream.

8 hours ago, Wraith said:

It'll take a few years but if we whine enough about it they'll probably stop. 

Sonic characters are like wack a mole where some will be fine and others will be fucked up at any given time.

I actually want to say one more thing about this. For shadow this is kinda bad. Shadows strength as a character when written well hes a guy with a story that influenced him and makes him kinda weird in comparison to a lot of the cast. That said that story last had any expansion 14 years ago. While it seems like there are younger fans at current willing to go back and engage with older material to learn about him. How long will that last especially if the next few years are increasingly worse. Why would anyone care to engage if hes gonna be showing his ass and then you are "look he's better now".

I have red comics for a while and this strikes me as an editor having an awful idea screwing up a character and the character gets shelved. Call me overly pessimistic but it kinda feels like the end of the character as an entity in sonic as a franchise.

It's fairly common with games too. They did this with a whole franchise dissidia recently. Screwed up the last entry instead of trying to fix it, canned the whole thing. And I can point to numerous things in EA's grave yard that died of the exact same thing.

I do not trust sega not to act the same. Because they do it with sonic as a whole. Run the character into the ground. And then when no one likes the bad thing, they blame the thing and not how they made it.

This could be the end of this character because someone has a shitty idea and it sucks.

3 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I actually want to say one more thing about this. For shadow this is kinda bad. Shadows strength as a character when written well hes a guy with a story that influenced him and makes him kinda weird in comparison to a lot of the cast. That said that story last had any expansion 14 years ago. While it seems like there are younger fans at current willing to go back and engage with older material to learn about him. How long will that last especially if the next few years are increasingly worse. Why would anyone care to engage if hes gonna be showing his ass and then you are "look he's better now".

I have red comics for a while and this strikes me as an editor having an awful idea screwing up a character and the character gets shelved. Call me overly pessimistic but it kinda feels like the end of the character as an entity in sonic as a franchise.

It's fairly common with games too. They did this with a whole franchise dissidia recently. Screwed up the last entry instead of trying to fix it, canned the whole thing. And I can point to numerous things in EA's grave yard that died of the exact same thing.

I do not trust sega not to act the same. Because they do it with sonic as a whole. Run the character into the ground. And then when no one likes the bad thing, they blame the thing and not how they made it.

This could be the end of this character because someone has a shitty idea and it sucks.

Shadow's too popular for that, honestly. If it was a less popular character like Cream it might be a death sentence, but Shadow could take a billion bad appearances and still live. Eventually someone who grew up on Sa2 will take the helm and we'll get that Shadow back, I bet.

3 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

Shadow's too popular for that, honestly. If it was a less popular character like Cream it might be a death sentence, but Shadow could take a billion bad appearances and still live. Eventually someone who grew up on Sa2 will take the helm and we'll get that Shadow back, I bet.

I hope your right.

3 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Screw up how exactly...?

She already did her convenience pull.

In that things go pearshaped because she thought she had a handle on things for a moment.

3 hours ago, thumbs13 said:

I thought people just hated that she invited Omochao to a picnic and allegedly forgot about cream.

Oh, there is probably that, though admittedly I didn't think of Amy in that case.

12 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Dont know if this posted but a bumblekast moment detailed on reddit

It's just weird man.

thathat 

What a load of horse shit. You may as well just write him out of the book if they're just going to mangle him like this. 

It's funny how SEGA doesn't seem to realise that the version of Shadow they're trying to push is also comparable to the weakest version of Vegeta in all of Dragon Ball - which was the Cell saga. Where Vegeta was making consistently idiotic decision after idiotic decision over and over again because "uh muh pride", and it all came to boiling point when he was so utterly stupid enough to help Cell reach his perfect form. This is near 1:1 in terms of stupidity as to Shadow ignoring Sonic's warning about being infected, and deciding to try ramming through the zombots, because once again - "uh muh pride".

Vegeta gets away with it because at least his arrogant stupidity was in service of a greater character arc that was thankfully fulfilled in the Buu Saga that at least put the Android Saga characterisation in perspective as the in-between of his dickish murdering characterisation from Saiyan/Frieza, and his redemption in Buu. But Shadow has no arc to speak of, because he was never written like this, and was never intended to be written like this, which ends up just making him an insufferable idiot without any purpose.

6 hours ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Makes one wonder what problems they had with how Ian wrote Shadow in Archie?

He nailed the character there, and is now forced to flanderize him here in IDW.

They love their simple one-note characters like the Zeti, here's the reason. Shadow was too complex. No surprise.

Consider that the last two games to actually use Shadow and give him a deeper story exploring his character were his own game and Sonic 06--both of which are widely seen as the worst games in the series, and received plenty of backlash with them. Maybe they see his original personality in that time period as one of the reasons those games were received negatively.

Besides, Shadow having any storyline of his own is a relic of the 'Dark Age'. And we know that they don't want to do anything with the games between Heroes and Black Knight. Including deeper stories that explore characters--which Shadow has always been built for since his inception. Now they're wanting to simplify him so he can stand with the rest of the cast with an unchanging character. 

Cynical? Yes. True? Possibly.