Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

On 2/26/2020 at 1:48 PM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Ian didn't really have a choice. Archie had fucked up majorly due to the mess caused by their Kickstarter, and subsequently - having to back up on it because of random comic stores causing a huge stink over the mess. 

Not only was it what likely caused the downfall of Boom and Archie Mega Man, but IIRC - Worlds Unite was created as a massive marketing tool to try push more sales into Mega Man and Boom after the Kickstarter scandal. Quite a few of the idiotic choices was also a result of the editor/publisher. Shadow's death in particular was a direct result because they wanted something to show how serious the event was.

Ironically, Worlds Unite just further fuelled the mess that would end up killing both Boom and Archie Mega Man. Due to having to shell out the cash for so many licensing fees to include all of the SEGA/Capcom franchises present, it likely did more damage than fixed any.

Wait pause what is this kickstarter thing

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

Wait pause what is this kickstarter thing

Back when Archie were beginning their “New Riverdale” line, they set up a kickstarter campaign to help fund it. It lasted for a whole five seconds before comic book retailers lost their shit, leading Archie to cancel it.

4 hours ago, Big Panda said:

Back when Archie were beginning their “New Riverdale” line, they set up a kickstarter campaign to help fund it. It lasted for a whole five seconds before comic book retailers lost their shit, leading Archie to cancel it.

I always found it shady as fuck a major comic publisher that's been around since the forties needed a kickstarter to fund making comic books. 

It's honestly one of the reasons I'm so cynical about Archie as a company now.

10 hours ago, Big Panda said:

Oh

I guess what makes it worse is that they just went that direction anyway and were successful

14 hours ago, Big Panda said:

Why were retailers upset about the fundraiser?

4 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Oh

I guess what makes it worse is that they just went that direction anyway and were successful

Yes. But if the Kickstarter went ahead, it probably wouldn’t have been at the cost of Sonic Boom and Mega Man.

28 minutes ago, Razule said:

Why were retailers upset about the fundraiser?

This explains it better.

Wait so they did crowdfunding, cancelled when they started to get the wrong kinda attention, did World's Unite to make up the difference, let go of licenses, and then essentially crowdfunded anyway? Or did I misunderstand something?

To my knowledge, "Worlds Unite" was completely unrelated and was going or already planned before their Kickstarter went off. The KS was cancelled within a week because they were afraid of the backlash from comic book stores. One in particular, I recall, essentially complained that trade paperbacks are distributed in mass market settings and not exclusively comic book stores but I think that was an outlier compared to other places that literally did boycott the books in protest.

Since the KS failed and they needed money for their massive brand relaunch but didn't want to wait, they took it out of their other imprints including the Action and Horror lines.

It's also important to note that Archie launched the Kickstarter because they didn't have the money to support their relaunch due to working with places like Wal-Mart to get their books back on those shelves.  A lot of these issues would have been avoided if they had slowed down, and if they had to work on relaunching, then they should have only done Archie and waited for the others but they wanted to go big. All they did was burn people who didn't read the mainline stuff.

Well, this time it makes sense, it means if there isn't more delay, we will got two comics in March, two in April, two in May, instead of three in March, one in April and two in May

So apparently Archie may have considering a Street Fighter comic, as there were licensing things at the time that World's Unite was testing.

Also, Marine may have a nod coming up since an actual an appearance got cut.

8 hours ago, DabigRG said:

So apparently Archie may have considering a Street Fighter comic, as there were licensing things at the time that World's Unite was testing.

Was that on Bumblekast? I kinda doubt Archie could have done Street Fighter since the rights to the comics were held by Udon.

1 minute ago, SBR2 said:

Was that on Bumblekast? I kinda doubt Archie could have done Street Fighter since the rights to the comics were held by Udon.

Yes.

He described their preferential treatment as "testing the waters."

11 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Like sega said to remove it cut or couldn't fit in the story, cut

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Yes.

I’m confused.

The Udon SF comic was running around the same time the crossover was happening wasn’t it?

4 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Yes.

4 hours ago, SBR2 said:

2 hours ago, Big Panda said:

I’m confused.

The Udon SF comic was running around the same time the crossover was happening wasn’t it?

Oh yeah? Interesting.

Perhaps he was referring to something else then.

"We're not afraid to punch an old man." I mean that'd almost be a fair fight then. 😛

I kid. I mean I don't like the Rogues but I don't mean anything against people who do like them.

3 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

"We're not afraid to punch an old man." I mean that'd almost be a fair fight then. 😛

I kid. I mean I don't like the Rogues but I don't mean anything against people who do like them.

They are the obvious "Who's left" and/or mismatch of these fights.

I get they don't want Cream involved, because of and despite how much she lost, but sending out only Gemerl isn't really the best move. 

Sonic did say that Zeena's arrogance can help the robot, but still.

37 minutes ago, Sir Tinstripe said:

I get they don't want Cream involved, because of and despite how much she lost, but sending out only Gemerl isn't really the best move. 

Sonic did say that Zeena's arrogance can help the robot, but still.

Spoiler

Pretty sure she's going anyway.

Knuckles may or may not be a similar case.

Wonder if we'll get some interaction with Knuckles as a result.