Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

For some reason Sonic being on fire made me wonder if he ended up in the Sol Dimension briefly because of the Warp Topaz. Sounds like he briefly went missing afterward going by the solicits anyway.

I wonder 

Spoiler

if Omega is actually reprogrammed, or if this is just typical Eggman taunting. He built a massive version of Omega, littered in Eggman symbols, using Omega's weapons, and it's clearly piloted by the Eggmobile, similar to the Egg Dragoon. Wouldn't surprise me if he didn't reprogram Omega, as much as he just trapped his remains to the new body as payback for Omega's betrayal.

25 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

For some reason Sonic being on fire made me wonder if he ended up in the Sol Dimension briefly because of the Warp Topaz. Sounds like he briefly went missing afterward going by the solicits anyway.

My first thought was that Blaze did something to "cure" Sonic and he returns just in time to stop Eggman's latest scheme, putting the status quo back into place. 

If he really drops out of the sky in an explosion of flame I wish the cover didn't spoil that, lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler

Reasons why Sonic could be on fire

• Flame Shield
  • Shahra's Ring
  • Red World Ring
  • Red Wisp
  • Sol Emerald
  • That's actually Super Sonic
  • Something I couldn't think of
  • Something entirely new

4 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/IDW_David_M/status/1241074062165602304

David Marriott is hinting at something in July.

Q: @IDW_David_M Am I seeing things, or does it look like IDW Sonic is switching to a biweekly release schedule starting with issue 29?

A: You are not seeing things! We have big plans for Sonic this summer, including biweekly releasing in May and June! Then... well, the July plan's a secret, but stay tuned for news there soon!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

My first thought was that Blaze did something to "cure" Sonic and he returns just in time to stop Eggman's latest scheme, putting the status quo back into place. 

If he really drops out of the sky in an explosion of flame I wish the cover didn't spoil that, lol.

Ok So i'm going to have to literally shoot you out of my reality into your reality and its gonna fix the virus

....What

Just stay still Blaze starts charging a kamehameha

WHAT

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Chuckle 2

33 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Ok So i'm going to have to literally shoot you out of my reality into your reality and its gonna fix the virus

....What

WHAT

Going by their team-up in issue 4, Sonic's probably into that tbh

unknown.png

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:
  Hide contents

• Flame Shield
  • Shahra's Ring
  • Red World Ring
  • Red Wisp
  • Sol Emerald
  • Something entirely new

He was sent to the Dragon Ball universe and learned Kaio-Ken.

Iblis Trigger in the flesh. 

Atmospheric re-entry or spontaneous combustion are also possibilities.

What if Sonic ran really fast and that's why he's on fire? To burn out the virus maybe. Unless Zavok spouted fire on him so badly... nah. I also thought about the Burst Wisp or Darkspines Sonic... or Burning Sonic, or a shield, as it has been said.

It's possible he could get a brand new form, a la Neo Metal Sonic's forms in Battle for Angel Island, or Omega's new body here. I'm glad the comic is allowed to give them new transformations.

Btw, people are speculating how Shadow reacts to Omega being re-weaponized by Eggman and used against them: I predict Shadow will be mad, as usual in this IDW run, lol. If there's something Sega loves, it's their very aggressive Shadow.

Spoiler

...actually, I think that's Blaze, cleverly disguised to look possibly like Sonic.

Also, someone colored Shadow's eyelid the wrong color.

Spinning off a thought below here, anyone think there was supposed to be a Whisper and Shadow story that got jettisoned leading up to the miniseries?

On 3/19/2020 at 2:26 PM, Jack at the Cinema said:

It's actually the opposite logic here. If it happens off-screen, it likely means they are dead. In general, I wouldn't say that. But for a kid friendly franchise, it seems to me as an expedient to kill off characters without showing blood or violent stuff for kids.

See, in IDW: The Diamond Cutters.

To be fair, that was an integral part of Whisper's backstory and a testament to Mimic's coldbloodedness.

On 3/20/2020 at 9:49 AM, Betz said:

Can anyone explain why every issue seems to have a different artist? Like in this two parter, Lawrence and ABT have two very different styles. Its going to be very jarring to go from Lawrence's cartoonish style to ABTs manga style next issue.

.It's probably a matter of them just assigning issues to whoever's available for the sake of keeping a steady schedule.

23 hours ago, Jack at the Cinema said:

Pretty sure it's supposed to be a catch up for the delays.

That's a smart move on their part. Especially since it's due for summer.

20 hours ago, Wraith said:

That visual of Sonic on fire is awesome.

Sonic Wildfire realized?

18 hours ago, Zaysho said:

25 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:
  Hide contents

...actually, I think that's Blaze, cleverly disguised to look possibly like Sonic.

Also, someone colored Shadow's eyelid the wrong color.

That's what I've been predisposed to thinking as well.

17 hours ago, thumbs13 said:

Anyone else getting Advance 2 vibes from the cover?

It is vaguely reminiscent of something.

In what way?

17 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:
  Hide contents

• Flame Shield
  • Shahra's Ring
  • Red World Ring
  • Red Wisp
  • Sol Emerald
  • Something entirely new

Shahra's Ring and the World Ring seem unlikely.

Red Wisp and to an extent Flame Shield seems a little too small time.

And while Sonic has used fire based attacks before, they weren't as prevalent either.

So its either Sol Dimension related or it's something entirely new.

17 hours ago, SBR2 said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/IDW_David_M/status/1241074062165602304

David Marriott is hinting at something in July.

There was indeed something special alluded to for after the Metal Virus. Still up in the air as to what that could be.

16 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

....What

WHAT

You forgot the quotation marks, but lol.

11 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Or IDW was somehow able to win the rights to use Solar Sonic.

Oh, deep cut.

Who wrote that story?

10 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Iblis Trigger in the flesh. 

Atmospheric re-entry or spontaneous combustion are also possibilities.

:lol: 

I thought Iblis Trigger was more of a metaphor?

8 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:
  Hide contents

ETj33A8VAAApMJ7?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Here's the full picture without any weird crop.

Does the covers seem a little...off balanced to anyone?

51 minutes ago, Jack at the Cinema said:

What if Sonic ran really fast and that's why he's on fire? To burn out the virus maybe. Unless Zavok spouted fire on him so badly... nah.

That'd be something.

I also thought about the Burst Wisp or Darkspines Sonic... or Burning Sonic, or a shield, as it has been said.

Darkspine was more of a pummeler, but then it was implied to be an incomplete transformation.

It's possible he could get a brand new form, a la Neo Metal Sonic's forms in Battle for Angel Island, or Omega's new body here. I'm glad the comic is allowed to give them new transformations.

I doubt Omega is permanent, considering it appears his normal body is a part of the mech.

Btw, people are speculating how Shadow reacts to Omega being re-weaponized by Eggman and used against them: I predict Shadow will be mad, as usual in this IDW run, lol. If there's something Sega loves, it's their very aggressive Shadow.

It'd be a somewhat fitting application.

I dont think we will get a lot of shadow unless sega stopped being weird. Because I can totally see some suit

"Why does shadow care about omega? Why is he not angry at all things. You should only characterize him enraged punching the sun itself."

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

Ok...That's interesting.

is that maybe burning blaze? because which other sonic character has FIRE as a element? 

36 minutes ago, bingboomer said:

is that maybe burning blaze? because which other sonic character has FIRE as a element? 

I mean it couldbe an original character or maybe it's a weird reality warped thing from using the Warp Topaz. Maybe it is Sonic but from an alternate universe where he has fire powers.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

It is vaguely reminiscent of something.

In what way?

Eggman using one of Sonic's friends to power his mech was done in Advance 2 with Tails and Knuckles. Not exactly the same, but similar.

4 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Ok...That's interesting.

It's Sonic's alternate self from Blaze's world, Pyronic the Hedgehog.

• Chuckle 2

1 hour ago, Razule said:

It's Sonic's alternate self from Blaze's world, Pyronic the Hedgehog.

DONOTSTEAL!

Huh. Gonna have to see for myself 

Looking at what is the obscured shoes, I'm noticing that it doesn't really line up with Sonic's. In fact, I looks more like Silver's.

In other news, there's a prediction that I think might interest you @MetalSkulkBane

10 hours ago, thumbs13 said:

Eggman using one of Sonic's friends to power his mech was done in Advance 2 with Tails and Knuckles. Not exactly the same, but similar.

Oh yeah.

Er, technically he was holding them hostage(or hiring a stand-in in Knuckles case), with Cream arguably weakening the mech.