Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

5 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Chip was another peculiar case of mandates regarding how he was used, not being allowed to be in the tie-in backup story and there apparently being limits to how much they can show him alongside (certain?) other characters in the actual Unleashed adaptation. It's been a while though, so I don't know if there was anything more concrete said about it.

didn't know the bolded, what's that about.

As far as that whole story goes. I didn't enjoy the unleashed adaptation so much I kinda checked out and was only reading universe for a hot minute. I had to go back and read it.

12 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

didn't know the bolded, what's that about.

I've made a note to track down Bumblekast episodes from around that time, but yeah, Sega were evidently restrictive of him long after whatever mass embargo regarding newer games was going on would've ended.

12 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

As far as that whole story goes. I didn't enjoy the unleashed adaptation so much I kinda checked out and was only reading universe for a hot minute. I had to go back and read it.

Well it did kinda swallow up nearly the entire Sonic releases for a longer time on top of World's Unite encompassing the rest & Megaman while further prolonging it.

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

I've made a note to track down Bumblekast episodes from around that time, but yeah, Sega were evidently restrictive of him long after whatever mass embargo regarding newer games was going on would've ended.

I wonder why

But then again, there's the weird gemrel stuff so i dunno sega's weird I guess

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

Well it did kinda swallow up nearly the entire Sonic releases for a longer time on top of World's Unite encompassing the rest & Megaman while further prolonging it.

Hopefully the MLP X Sonic crossoever doesn't happen right before the zombot arc ends

21 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Shadow of course.

Ope, doy!

15 hours ago, Meta77 said:

Each issue and they continue to excite me more than anything archie did in its final arcs. I have not had this much fun since early knuckles comic arcs

The spinoff book or Universe? 

10 hours ago, Jack at the Cinema said:

I honestly do not blame "Panic in the Sky" for being a bad final arc because of writing, but because it was... underwhelming as a storyline, you had the glorified cameos by the worlds population, but still, you knew exactly what to expect, because that story was an Unleashed adaptation, it was just an excuse to re-tell the story and explore the rebooted world to build it up, which wasn't too bad, but neither exciting. That's the thing with the reboot, almost 40 issues of cool build up and hardly any meat in it, okay it was cancelled right after that but why wait for 40 issues?

Unfortunately, they were trying to redefine the Freedom Fighters, adapt Unleashed in interesting ways, answer the wishes for new worldbuilding to supplement what was lost(which was a lot), and also plant the seeds for stories that were to come while they were at it.

But it ended up going on longer than intended and then Archie let go of the license after months of discussion behind closed doors even Mr. Flynn weren't in on. 

In IDW, we are getting not adaptations, but rather storylines that are "game-plausible" but still new, they pay homage and reference certain aspects of the games (Heroes, Lost World, Forces) but still tell new tales, plus we have Ian's delicious in-depth writing for each character, ironically (aside from a couple of cases) we have more depth, growth, tension, and unexpected twists here than in Archie reboot that had a lot more freedom because the team wasn't working as closely with Sega.

IDW is essentially how the Reboot incorporated Sonic the Fighters, Tails Skypatrol, the GBA games, and the DIC cartoons without most of Unleashed and the other stuff. Which was somewhat intentional; since Mr. Flynn understandable just threw his hands and jumped into whatever SonicTeam was eager to allow, for better or worse.

The thing about mandates... I have no idea how they work, SEGA let Shadow be turned into a Zombot rather than act like a person, we'll see what happens in the final issue of this saga where he returns... still, I would say there is plenty of freedom they are giving the IDW team.

The mandates supposed to be general guidelines on how the characters and maybe some things within the worlds are supposed to be depicted, but we know they can also vary to involve what they really don't want utilized or even change based on when certain things are pitched.  

"All or Nothing" is a blast so far, the pacing always has bits of issues here and there, but there is a lot of meat in #27, action and drama, it's exactly what I wanted.

Er, that's the one that just came out, right?

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

I wonder why

I personally haven't a clue. 

Before, they were reluctant to use newer characters even for advertising their own upcoming games(ergo, why most of them were there), so you could at least say there was something going about that made them consistent about it.

But the friggin reboot/cleanup that happened around 9 years later, though? 

But then again, there's the weird gemrel stuff so i dunno sega's weird I guess

That was supposedly due to some bizarre brand recognition with X. 

And even if your thought on the matter had some weight to it, the reboot & especially IDW happened much later and skipped all the necessary setup around Emerl.

Yet, they still felt the need to go, "He doesn't talk like that." ...Even though Gemerl's never spoken in-game and hasn't even reappeared since? 

Okay.

Hopefully the MLP X Sonic crossoever doesn't happen right before the zombot arc ends

I was gonna say mood whiplash, but then I remembered.

I have a middling opinion on Panic in the Sky as a whole but goddamn the first part of it was fantastic. I hold it up as one of my top favorite individual issues of the Archie book. 

Spoiler

Not gonna lie, I wish we could’ve got to see Zomom and Zeena’s zombot forms.

Also, lamb girl was turned, you can see her during the part where Tails and Amy try to get to high ground.

Spoiler

7 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:
  Hide contents

Not gonna lie, I wish we could’ve got to see Zomom and Zeena’s zombot forms

They're almost certainly gonna turn(eeh) up for either the final battle or for the aftermath. Especially if they aren't the only ones.

Spoiler

Also, lamb girl was turned, you can see her during the part where Tails and Amy try to get to high ground.

Oh really?

Spoiler

I thought she was still on Angel Island

Not sure if it was posted yet, but the IDW Comics are getting a release in Japan! Volume 1 comes out 5/8/20 (May 8th) with Volumes 2 and 3 confirmed. If nothing else it'll be easier for Japanese Sonic fans to get started than before.

Spoiler

So, I guess this means big things for the IDW continuity in general. It's more widely available than Archie ever was, and now is going to be sold in Japan. This basically makes it more than just another licensing agreement: it's the official face of Sonic in printed media as a whole going forward. It's not entirely out of the question that future games could take inspiration from them going forward since their influence is now on the homefront. 

At the least we could see more close collaboration between the comics and new games like the Pokemon anime being priivy to elements of new game releases. 

5 hours ago, DryLagoon said:

Volume 1 comes out 5/8/20

I can’t tell if that’s supposed to be 5th August or 8th May.

Man say what you will about the IDW comic you can't deny Sega clearly is happy with it. 

This is honestly pretty monumental seeing as Sega never gave Archie this kind of attention. 

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Big Panda said:

I can’t tell if that’s supposed to be 5th August or 8th May.

Sorry. I'm American. It's May 8th.

2 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Man say what you will about the IDW comic you can't deny Sega clearly is happy with it. 

This is honestly pretty monumental seeing as Sega never gave Archie this kind of attention. 

Well to be fair. Archie wasn't anything they cared about. When they did it was so awful they were just continuously dissatisfied with it and they have far more control over this new book. For better and worse

6 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

For better and worse

I'm still catching up, but the main thing I've seen so far I'm not okay with is the Shadow mandates. I do like what I've seen of Tangle and Whisper so far though. (I was only in the thread to post about the Japan release, and I forgot I had auto follow on so I'll have more to say once I catch up.)

9 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Dry reminds me: Who's original idea was Tangle?

Ian Flynn came up with the concept, Tyson Hesse did the design.

4 hours ago, Wraith said:

Ian Flynn came up with the concept, Tyson Hesse did the design.

Okay, that's right. I just remember that Sega had input on her and Whisper.

5 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Well to be fair. Archie wasn't anything they cared about. When they did it was so awful they were just continuously dissatisfied with it and they have far more control over this new book. For better and worse

They had control over Archie too. They just didn’t care.

2 hours ago, Big Panda said:

Until things started getting extra infamous and eventually out of control anyway.

I actually love this comic a lot; how it starts off in a place after Sonic forces, how closely it sticks to the games. In my mind, the first story arc was incredible, and the comic-exclusive characters are entertaining. But the robo-zombie arc has dragged on WAAAAAY too long! And having it not end due to IDW's publishing hiatus almost feels like some kind of cruel cosmic joke :( But still, it's my favorite Sonic Comic series so far!XD

14 hours ago, Big Panda said:

Eh, kinda. In the beginning they did not care. They started caring more to the degree the book rebooted. While there were sweeping changes. You kind of get the idea they understood that book had a history and somethings were still allowed. This book from the jump had to be approved by sega, how its world works and what's in it has to at least get an ok. And they may take that back later.

Yes they have always had control. But now they have control with very little expectations. Close to the games and they can just change stuff.

It's part of the reason why I don't  think any of the freedom fighters are coming back

10 hours ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

The 2020 Annual is delayed to April 29th I think

Honestly I'm kinda surprised it's so relatively soon.