Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

5 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Dude we get it you don't want the Freedom Fighters or any cartoon characters in IDW. How about letting someone else answer that instead of mentioning yet again that you don't want the Cartoon Characters to appear in IDW.

Okay. Enough. I've seen you head into these topics and jump down people's throats time and time again every time someone mentions they don't like something you do. You're getting a strike for making this personal. If you want to argue about why the Freedom Fighters should be included, then maybe do that instead of immediately getting on someone who says they don't think they should be.

10 minutes ago, hedgie said:

Can we PLEASE move on before things get nasty?

2 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

Yeah @SBR2 your response was pretty uncalled for and didn't make sense.

Responses like these are not remotely helpful. If there is a problem, report it.

Well, I think it would be nice to have those characters in that fit into the stories at hand, I'm in no mood drawing any lines in here. I'll let the flowers bloom and so on.

Even Chris, though his granddad and the house staff were more interesting for me when it comes to Sonic X...

I suppose I'm biased here and all but well, I do enjoy the fact Bunnie and Antoine were married even after reboot. The unpublished pages Mr. Yardley had on eBay were even more bittersweet than the stuff already were in there. I dunno, I have one pairing in the whole Archie (post-reboot) canon (in prereboot I had one more... it just isn't possible in post-reboot) and it's this. Sorry. It was cute and all, but well, I'd be just happy to see them at all so well... Beggars can't be choosers, only choose I can make is whether or not my wallet's plump enough for these comics... And even that isn't really my choice, stupid government... Why my wallet can't be as plump as a penguin? Penguins are cute!

___

About non-cartoon stuff though, I wonder will they bring in any aquatic characters anymore? I kind of liked how post-reboot Archie Sonic dealed with that matter.

That and I'd love to see someone as epic character as King Nigel again. First impressions were he's almost too jovial but then the latter part of that one discussion in that one Universe issue and the fact how he was actually pretty cool in the "Panic in the Sky" arc... gee the guy was awesome, but that was to expect I suppose...

So yeah, in short; anything goes as long as it fits into the story. Make new ones if anything old doesn't fit.

Still I wonder whether my poor heart could get to read the comics if the characters I like are lost... just me though, sorry again.

• Thumbs Up 3

@BlueSky It was sweet how Antoine and Bunnie were still a couple. To be honest, I would kind of like them to maybe try to make Elise more likable. Maybe have her be like herself from the Triggered comics of Mobius Legends. 

• Nice Smile 2

Just now, hedgie said:

About Mephiles, would anyone like to see him redesigned if he appears?

I'm not sure. How exactly would that work? 

Well, if they can make it work, why not. Though the thing - if my memory serves me right - is that Sega considers him dead, and thus the logic kind of prevents his usage, but I dunno, maybe if they'd do some timey-wimey twisting... but then again the whole game kind of wrote itself out so it isn't even a time question, it happened elsewhere where time isn't of matter or something... Like, stretch the dying over all the other timeline.

Then again, if Sega would consider IDW stuff so much their own thing "he's dead" isn't used as an answer, well, it could be possible I guess.

There was that interesting idea in ASO forums, but I suppose it wouldn't be of any help bringing that here...

Well, I'm not even too picky about the quality, as long as the art is solid enough I can stare at it and the stuff presented is interesting enough, I'm happy.

And while I'm on it, for me long storyarcs isn't of problem as long as they work. The "SWC" stuff was pretty awesome before WU happened and all, when the comics started to "pick up the pace" it went into ".zip mode"... I'd like IDW guys to keep that in mind, when in hurry stuff get's messy and the results even messier, really. No need to rush, just tell interesting stories, at least I think so. But well, I'm a bit crazy I suppose... But then again I can't get it; if the comic book's already an "on-going" story structured, is it really that big of a problem if arc takes some time, if the quality's good?

• Nice Smile 1

4 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

Well, if they can make it work, why not. Though the thing - if my memory serves me right - is that Sega considers him dead, and thus the logic kind of prevents his usage, but I dunno, maybe if they'd do some timey-wimey twisting... but then again the whole game kind of wrote itself out so it isn't even a time question, it happened elsewhere where time isn't of matter or something... Like, stretch the dying over all the other timeline.

Then again, if Sega would consider IDW stuff so much their own thing "he's dead" isn't used as an answer, well, it could be possible I guess.

There was that interesting idea in ASO forums, but I suppose it wouldn't be of any help bringing that here...

Well, I'm not even too picky about the quality, as long as the art is solid enough I can stare at it and the stuff presented is interesting enough, I'm happy.

And while I'm on it, for me long storyarcs isn't of problem as long as they work. The "SWC" stuff was pretty awesome before WU happened and all, when the comics started to "pick up the pace" it went into ".zip mode"... I'd like IDW guys to keep that in mind, when in hurry stuff get's messy and the results even messier, really. No need to rush, just tell interesting stories, at least I think so. But well, I'm a bit crazy I suppose... But then again I can't get it; if the comic book's already an "on-going" story structured, is it really that big of a problem if arc takes some time, if the quality's good?

I remember reading on TV tropes that people liked the beginning of WU but felt the ending ruined it.

7 hours ago, DabigRG said:

He was apparently planning a third one with the Babylon Rogues vs the Hooligans according to Bumblekast.

Ah, so a proper battle with just those two teams minus Dark & Rose's interference, interesting. 

What's even more intriguing is that neither the Babylons and Hoolgians are heroes, so I would've curious on who to root for or how it would turn out.

If we're lucky, Ian might actually revive for the IDWverse if either of them are returning.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

53 minutes ago, hedgie said:

About Mephiles, would anyone like to see him redesigned if he appears? Rather than a Shadow recolor, he's a living, shapeshifting mass of darkness a la Aku from Samurai Jack.

Mephiles was always incredibly boring. A redesign wouldn't change that.

23 minutes ago, hedgie said:

The whole "He's dead" logic is pretty dumb if you ask me. Who cares if he's dead? It's a different continuity. By that logic the Joker can't be used in anymore Batman movies since he died in the Burton/Schumacher era.

Please bear in mind if Sega says so it's how it is, sadly. And I dunno if anybody should try and agitate Japanese people, I find it a bit frightening of an idea...

That continuity thing's pretty much what I wondered about though. But first you'd need to sell the idea to Sega, I dunno how they considered Archie stuff after all... and I've no everloving idea what they're thinking of IDW stuff either.

• Nice Smile 1

34 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

Please bear in mind if Sega says so it's how it is, sadly. And I dunno if anybody should try and agitate Japanese people, I find it a bit frightening of an idea...

That last bit is a little offensive. SEGA only does what they do to protect their brand in a way they feel is best. You either follow that guideline of theirs, or you aren't working on an official Sonic product.

It's not the case that Japanese people shouldn't be agitated (and that doesn't change anything, agitation is a personality thing), it's just corporate decisions.

• Nice Smile 2

1 hour ago, hedgie said:

The whole "He's dead" logic is pretty dumb if you ask me. Who cares if he's dead? It's a different continuity. By that logic the Joker can't be used in anymore Batman movies since he died in the Burton/Schumacher era.

Because they don't want to use him. he's literally the poster boy for what is arguably the worst sonic game in existence. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Because they don't want to use him. he's literally the poster boy for what is arguably the worst sonic game in existence. 

And that could be the same for Lyric which is why we haven't seen him since Shattered Crystals 

2 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

And that could be the same for Lyric which is why we haven't seen him since Shattered Crystals 

That game was probably planned and started development during they ROL development, also the boom games were originally another project entirely so odds are he might have been the bad guy they wanted for that project. Note that you haven't seen him in the cartoon, and I don't think you will

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Shadowlax said:

That game was probably planned and started development during they ROL development, also the boom games were originally another project entirely so odds are he might have been the bad guy they wanted for that project. Note that you haven't seen him in the cartoon, and I don't think you will

Yeah plus Sega said he was off-limits for the comics. It's kind of a shame since he had potential to be an interesting villain.

4 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

Anyway, I wonder how the main plot will be structured? Will the arcs be episodic or will it be one long story arc? Or both?

I can see it starting off episodic just to establish the world of Sonic and the characters who inhibit the world, then move into a story arc.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, knuckles20 said:

I can see it starting off episodic just to establish the world of Sonic and the characters who inhibit the world, then move into a story arc.

Seems like a reasonable idea. I wonder if the first four issues will be episodic.

5 minutes ago, Razule said:

What are you guys' thoughts on giving the SEGA characrers parents?

I think it could be interesting as it could give possible insight for their backstories. Now that I think about did we ever see Amy's parents in the comics?

"If they're good™". Outside of concepts too adult to fit in a comic with a family-friendly demographic, I don't think any characters need to be disallowed from existence on principle. Just write 'em well and make them Sonic-y and I'm happy.

• Thumbs Up 3

7 minutes ago, Razule said:

I personally find it to be a very pointless thing to bring attention to considering how little their childhoods are ever explored in any other medium and their origins outside of maybe Knuckles aren't things that people tend to wonder about very often. I also find that the origins of Sonic and his friends aren't REALLY important in what made the characters how they are if nobody ever mentions them.

• Thumbs Up 2

I mean, I'd love to see a modernization of the manga backstory for Sonic, being a wimpy nerd who became a superpowered nerd. Some explanation of how Knuckles is the last echidna and has somehow never met another member of his own race would be nice, too.

I think backstories aren't always necessary when it's just trying to be a fun series, but when it runs for decades like Sonic has, I'd at least like a little clarity on why the characters act the way they do.

Plus, Sonic's real name being "Nicky" was cute to me, like he just took the nic from that name and added Son to it to make it sound cool.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Razule said:

Don't do it. Sonic shouldn't know or care where his parents are since it doesn't even come across his mind. 

11 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

I think it could be interesting as it could give possible insight for their backstories. Now that I think about did we ever see Amy's parents in the comics?

Nope

• Thumbs Up 1