Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

3 minutes ago, SatAMhog said:

How am I making an effort to keep it that way?

Because you're refusing to allow LGBT characters to be treated the same as straight/cis ones.

3 minutes ago, SatAMhog said:

I'm stating my opinion...if I'm wrong, I'm wrong.  I stated that I didn't think it's appropriate subject for Sonic because it's not... Sonic's not about discovering one's sexual choice, it's about saving the day from a robotic madman named Eggman.

Okay, so, Amy is inappropriate, since part of her character is her crush on Sonic, and that relates to sexuality and isn't about fighting Eggman? No? You accept Amy as an appropriate character in the series? Okay, then what reason is there not to allow a bisexual character in the series?

• Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Ian flynn said that he's not doing anything like that right now. Outright when someone asked about tangle and whisper. It wasn't intended to hint at anything.

Unfortunate but Flynn in his own words "he would prefer characters be judged by what they do, not who they date" the ship wars burnt him out.

Maybe someone else will write eventually and do something with it.

Evan Stanley said she wants to try and get an LGBT character into the comic someday.

She even intended for Archie Sonic’s Gold the Tentec to be either gay or bi.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Wraith said:

he said he was done with relationships and then fed the nicole/sally fire. i dont trust that man. i do not

I think that was a thing he already established with characters with a good chance of not coming back. It's a pretty safe discussion, or at least it should be. Homie gets harassed on Twitter about that and various other things.

Back on point. Would love to be wrong, tangle is rad. But when you hear him talk about ships you can hear the burt-out-ed-ness. This is man who continues to bear the brunt of sonamy fans who think Amy's sole value is her sonic crush, and harass him about sonally and him hating amy despite how much more cool he made her. Whilst at the same time getting harassment from people who had sonamy because they think ian Flynn secretly hates all archie things.

I can understand that guy not wanting to look at that bridge, let alone cross it.

4 minutes ago, Big Panda said:

Evan Stanley said she wants to try and get an LGBT character into the comic someday.

She even intended for Archie Sonic’s Gold the Tentec to be either gay or bi.

Hopefully she does

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

Because you're refusing to allow LGBT characters to be treated the same as straight/cis ones.

Okay, so, Amy is inappropriate, since part of her character is her crush on Sonic, and that relates to sexuality and isn't about fighting Eggman? No? You accept Amy as an appropriate character in the series? Okay, then what reason is there not to allow a bisexual character in the series?

I'm not refusing to allow LGBT characters to be treated the same as straight ones.  It's just reality that they're not placed on the same pedestal as straight characters and so, they're not going to be given the same attention.  That can change in the future, sure...but I just don't see it happening yet.  You're misconstruing what I said with Amy.  Amy's crush on Sonic is a longstanding character trait that is considered okay for prime time and by any indication, we'll probably see it in the next Sonic movie or maybe not.  We'll see.  A bi character could pop up, sure...but no gay, lesbian or bi characters have shown up in Sonic yet in the almost 30 years it has existed.  There's a reason for that.  Maybe they're outdated standards or maybe they're not.   Things change but they're slow to change.

11 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I think that was a thing he already established with characters with a good chance of not coming back. It's a pretty safe discussion, or at least it should be. Homie gets harassed on Twitter about that and various other things.

Back on point. Would love to be wrong, tangle is rad. But when you hear him talk about ships you can hear the burt-out-ed-ness. This is man who continues to bear the brunt of sonamy fans who think Amy's sole value is her sonic crush, and harass him about sonally and him hating amy despite how much more cool he made her. Whilst at the same time getting harassment from people who had sonamy because they think ian Flynn secretly hates all archie things.

I can understand that guy not wanting to look at that bridge, let alone cross it.

In that case I understand. It makes sense for him to not want to touch it.

Spoiler

he'll cave. give it another year

5 minutes ago, SatAMhog said:

I'm not refusing to allow LGBT characters to be treated the same as straight ones.

Except for the part where you accept Amy and her blatant heterosexuality without a thought, but consider a bisexual character to be inappropriate and oppose their inclusion.

• Thumbs Up 2

@SatAMhog you are aware that LGBT characters have been making their way into a lot of children’s media for the last decade now, right?

Because the way you’ve been talking is really making me think you somehow don’t already know that.

Did Ian feed the Sally/Nicole fire, or was that more a spearhead of his wife? Might be an important distinction since she's not on IDW's staff roll. 

3 minutes ago, Big Panda said:

@SatAMhog you are aware that LGBT characters have been making their way into a lot of children’s media for the last decade now, right?

Because the way you’ve been talking is really making me think you somehow don’t already know that.

No, I don't watch a lot of modern American cartoons nowadays(I was more into anime, especially in college) and I don't use a lot of social media for that matter(like Twitter...Facebook I have but I had to get it in college as a requirement for my fraternity).  I'm more of an internet forum kinda guy, lol.  All right, if American cartoons in the last decade have had LGBT characters in their shows, then I was wrong and I'll re-evaluate my position.   It's no big deal.

15 minutes ago, Your Vest Friend said:

Did Ian feed the Sally/Nicole fire, or was that more a spearhead of his wife? Might be an important distinction since she's not on IDW's staff roll. 

On another point, that is a good question.  I'd like to know the answer to that one...

2 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Ian flynn said that he's not doing anything like that right now. Outright when someone asked about tangle and whisper. It wasn't intended to hint at anything.

Unfortunate but Flynn in his own words "he would prefer characters be judged by what they do, not who they date" the ship wars burnt him out.

Maybe someone else will write eventually and do something with it.

I mean he said he's done but that doesn't mean others can't do things themselves. I know for a fact that Evan Stanley really wantsto get a confirmed on page LGBT character in the book at some point. 

Is anyone else worried about the future of this comic? IDW is having a lot of issues right now and just canceled the TMNT comic. Do you think Sega or someone else might save it? 

7 minutes ago, DryLagoon said:

Is anyone else worried about the future of this comic? IDW is having a lot of issues right now and just canceled the TMNT comic. Do you think Sega or someone else might save it? 

Yeah, I'm kinda worried too

It does say “for now” and is implied to be because of the current health crisis.

But still, this pandemic is going to wreak havoc with a lot of businesses, especially the struggling ones, so this just doesn’t bode well for IDW overall.

14 hours ago, thumbs13 said:

The rest of your Helen Lovejoy-esque fearmongering is whatever, but this is the part where people differ. Sega the company and the various products under it are different. That's why Sega Hardlight was able to get away with the pride flag, and Penders could have made Rotor gay. I agree, we'll never see a gay Sonic character in the games. The movies, the comics, and hypothetical future cartoons? Who knows.

14 hours ago, thumbs13 said:

...Do you really think that Sonic has a lower age range than children's cartoons and goddamn disney sitcoms, which have had gay characters before?
This argument feels like it was dragged out of 2005 and forgot to check what year it was in.

Don't forget 2005 was the year we saw Professor Gerald and Black Doom produce a child together. Truly, Shadow the Hedgehog was a game ahead of its time.

Seriously though, it's 2020; that we still have to go through the whole "Think of the children!" song and dance when it comes to portraying LGBT characters in media is just depressing.

• Thumbs Up 5

5 hours ago, DryLagoon said:

https://www.newsarama.com/49712-idw-publishing-s-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-stopping-with-105.html

It's not 100% but worded differently than just "pencils down". 

It seems to be implied as a temporary stop. Mostly because there's no point in paying a person if they can't print out the comics they are working on.

Even still, we can't ignore that IDW are in a financially shaky position. Hopefully SEGA has enough control over the comic that they can wrest everything from them just incase the worst happens.

6 hours ago, DryLagoon said:

https://www.newsarama.com/49712-idw-publishing-s-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-stopping-with-105.html

It's not 100% but worded differently than just "pencils down". 

Sophie Campbell said it's just on Hiatus because of the Virus. It's be kinda ridiculous for a small company like IDW to cancel one of it's best selling books.

• Thumbs Up 4

I don't think we should go all doom and gloom yet because we already know things are slowing down all over because of the virus. It'll just be a while before things go back to normal because of distribution being interrupted. I've seen Tyson Hesse say before that "just go digital" isn't really a solution because of contracts and agreements with retail partners and it'd hurt their working relationship with them.

• Thumbs Up 3

The point they're indirectly making is that non-straight relationships tend to either be subtextual or subject to a degree of direct obfuscation; of the show's that I know actually do anything with it, only the Loud House is overt about it with no strings attached. And truth be told, a more game accurate Sonic book is less apt to portraying one among other romantic relationships given the constantly on the move, action based nature of it. To say nothing of Sega characters having a mandate discouraging anything beyond minor shiptease alongside Mr. Flynn having been understandably a bit exasperated by shipping in the past.

@SatAMhogis just being a little too absolute in expressing that.

That said, there is potentially a small avenue or two for putting it in the book: all through original characters. Either through a couple that is formed by the time we see in the issue they appear in or more ambitiously through two recurring characters who come together after a series of appearances. It's possible, there just has to be allowance and/or time out into it.

16 hours ago, Diogenes said:

I mean if you're a coward, sure. Things don't change by just sitting around waiting for it; what progress has been made has come from pushing forward regardless of what the pearl-clutchers think.

Hi Lily.

15 hours ago, Your Vest Friend said:

That is indeed the distinction we should look for, especially since Ms Baker actually wrote a few of the stories focused on them among others.

I really hope the IDW comics doesn't get cancelled! I really want to see how the Metal Virus saga ends! 

So I wrote down what I find a potentially cool story for Shadow that could be (in my mind, it's literally impossible it will be official, so I gave it my thoughts), in the personal storyline thread. Check it out!

I wish they were able to disclose how far into production they were before stopping. As in, how many issues, if any, are more or less completed.