Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

52 minutes ago, SatAMhog said:

I don't think Sally's sexual preferences are a subject appropriate for a children's comic IMO.  It's good for fan fiction but the official stuff should never go down that road.  Sonic's not about that stuff.

What, romance? Because Archie Sonic was about that for a long, long time.

55 minutes ago, SatAMhog said:

I don't think Sally's sexual preferences are a subject appropriate for a children's comic IMO.  It's good for fan fiction but the official stuff should never go down that road.  Sonic's not about that stuff.

Gotta love nobody ever says that when it's about straight relationships. 

1 hour ago, SatAMhog said:

Eh it could work if done right. Same goes for any topics considered inappropriate, really. The problem is more how it should be executed rather than if they should.

40 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Gotta love nobody ever says that when it's about straight relationships. 

it depends on where you look. In certain places lgbt is the norm while straight is considered icky or boring. Mostly when it's about female characters for some reason.

23 minutes ago, All Might The Armadillo said:

I think what he means is that its just not kid friendly enough. Its like Nintendo saying Mario gets a divorce, and a kid ends up seeing it. Which mario is aimed at kids. Or maybe Im wrong.

If that's the case, Rouge's playful teasing of Knuckles falls under that kind of maturity, or Bunnie and Anthoine's entire everything.

I think what he means is that its just not kid friendly enough.

It being kid-friendly doesn't matter...

Kids don't care about this stuff and the point is that they shouldn't, it exists...and shouldn't be made a big deal.

What you want is for kids to see it and accept it as their norm, making a fuss about it does the exact opposite of that.

32 minutes ago, All Might The Armadillo said:

I think what he means is that its just not kid friendly enough. Its like Nintendo saying Mario gets a divorce, and a kid ends up seeing it. Which mario is aimed at kids. Or maybe Im wrong.

Mario did propose at the end of the last game. 

We have modern cartoon like Steven Universe that goes over mature topics. It's not new either, I remember old cartoons and animes having pretty dark or adult themes. Also this depends on the environment, but it shouldn't be an entirely new concept for them in this day and age. 

The question is whether SEGA would want that, the parents would be okay with it, and Ian has the ability to portray it well.

Unfortunately there are many parents who control what their child can consume. They can get quite nasty and force change if there’s enough of them.

But yeah kids are mostly open minded and tolerant. Unless they're raised in a bad environment, they'd probably be chill about it.

1 hour ago, KoDaiko said:

The question is whether SEGA would want that, the parents would be okay with it, and Ian has the ability to portray it well.

I don't think sega would care much.

To be clear this isn't to suggest sega or sonic team or whoever is incharge of sonic's creative direction is "woke" in regards to that sort of thing. In fact I'm mildly suspicious of the opposite. Along with how they have just treated the women in sonic for the longest ( and even now when its written by sonic team)they have never shown anything close that. The LGBTQ post was made on sega's hardlight's twitter not the official sonic twitter.

I want to be clear I don't think the people in charge of the creative sonic the hedgehog creative decisions are some bastion of inclusivity.They are at the end of the day a corporation and in regards to this issue of representation have made 0 strides.

All that said I think they still wouldn't care. Sally is a character who if brought back would not be prominent whatsoever and would effectively be a different character. Her being bisexual in the background of this comic focusing on more game characters is something I don't think they would care about because she's not important to them really. So I don't think sega would stop anyone at all, but maybe I'm wrong

That's a pretty big point too. Sally's not a game character, and from everything we've heard, they're way more lax with non-game characters in general. Sega probably won't introduce an lgbt character in the games any time soon, but one of them appearing in the comic, and nowhere else? That's way easier to buy happening.  

As much as I'm in favor of LGBT, I'm not big fan or retconing old character into gay/bisexual. Yes. it's realistic that gay person starts hetero before they "find them self" but it still feels like messing with core of character just to send your own agenda.

With that said I would have no problem if Flynn said that Tangle or Whisper are lesbians. His characters, his right to do so.

On 4/4/2020 at 5:17 AM, All Might The Armadillo said:

Its like Nintendo saying Mario gets a divorce, and a kid ends up seeing it. Which mario is aimed at kids. Or maybe I'm wrong.

Isn't Bowser Jr raised by single father (implying child abandonment, divorce or one-time standing), while Birdo is transexual?

9 hours ago, All Might The Armadillo said:

That's the joke lol

2 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

As much as I'm in favor of LGBT, I'm not big fan or retconing old character into gay/bisexual. Yes. it's realistic that gay person starts hetero before they "find them self" but it still feels like messing with core of character just to send your own agenda.

With that said I would have no problem if FLynn said that Tangle or Whisper are lesbians. His characters, his right to do so.

Isn't Bowser Jr raised by single father (implying child abandonment, divorce or one-time standing), while Birdo is transexual?

I dont think your everyday Mario loving 7 year old knows what transexual is though

2 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Being strait isnt core to any of the characters except like specifically amy, and even then her crush on sonic doesn't require her being heterosexual. If sonic was gay tomorrow it wouldn't change much.

And "LGBTQ people exist" isn't an agenda,  it's just a thing. A group of people who arent represented much in media getting more reprisentation.

A character from an old ass cartoon no one cares about being bisexual in the background is the least "pushing an agenda" shit ever. It's fine, why do you even care. Being strait is core to litterally no sonic character. It assumed by you. And why that is, is something you need to ask yourself

23 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Is that the second episode with Kureeji Lea? I got through part of and have to pick it back up.

Speaking of whom, did I even share her overall outline of Cassia and Clove's arc?

Lines up with IDW being "inspired by" the game's.

It also lines up with my personal mindset that it’s best to approach this series as if you were picking up the original Archie continuity late into its life: it can be said that a lot of the comics past events were also “inspired by” the games.

6 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

You have to bear in mind that Sally herself was not the same character from the previous continuity, never mind she was a character that Sega had divested themselves from as soon as the DiC show ended. It's not really a retcon when it's a completely different continuity and characterization especially when they were given a memo that she and Sonic as a pair were off-limits. It's less pushing an agenda than it is taking it to a logical step and developing a character that effectively became a blank slate.