Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Is it bad with Sonic's crap scheduling I was expecting this to happen with or without the pandemic? I was expecting indefinite hiatus even before current events.

1 hour ago, dbzfan7 said:

Is it bad with Sonic's crap scheduling I was expecting this to happen with or without the pandemic? I was expecting indefinite hiatus even before current events.

...Why? Again this is not a Sonic specific problem. Most if not all of IDW'S books had delay problems. Talk with Transformers fans about it I guarantee you they'll tell you this has been a problem for a long time.

Some of you guys need to chill out and find a hobby.

This isn't anything like Archie where they handled the hiatus in the worst possible way imaginable by stringing readers along during their radio silence and not cancelling subscriptions. You're gonna get your damn comics eventually

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

1 minute ago, Sean said:

This isn't like Archie where they handled the hiatus in the worst possible way imaginable. You're gonna get your damn comics eventually

I say it more in the sense of it makes getting invested hard when the schedule is all over the place and I almost always forget when an issue does come out or what happened previously because of the haphazard releases. Hurts staying power honestly.

The reason I ask how far along they got is because I’m curious to know how many issues they have on the backburner, is all.

• Thumbs Up 2

35 minutes ago, Sean said:

This isn't anything like Archie where they handled the hiatus in the worst possible way imaginable by stringing readers along during their radio silence and not cancelling subscriptions. You're gonna get your damn comics eventually

This! I say that eventually coming out is better than say having a license for a product and doing nothing but Free Comic Book Day issues with it. *Glares at Udon*

Seriously Sonic fans have no idea how good they actually have it when it comes to comic tie-in's.

28 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

This! I say that eventually coming out is better than say having a license for a product and doing nothing but Free Comic Book Day issues with it. *Glares at Udon*

Seriously Sonic fans have no idea how good they actually have it when it comes to comic tie-in's.

Will be a sign of relief when we finally get the ending of this storyline after over a year

Seriously, I'm waiting for the arc to finally end, it's been so long, I need something new, but once it is done I know I'm gonna miss it, the pathos it gave us... I will not forget. We may even get more Shadow and Omega as well as Big before it ends, to fix that mess and make it a good arc for every character.

I still don't get how it's "Been going too long" when the actual Zombot stuff doesn't really start until #16 and once this finally ends the actual Metal virus Saga will only be 2 issues longer than the first "season". Yeah technically the first 3 issues are a part of it but I don't really count the Zombot arc as really starting until Sonic gets infected.

EVLtaFEVAAABgqH?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Evan Stanley on Twitter: I can finally post my WonderCon exclusive cover for Sonic the Hedgehog #27! You can pick up a copy from IDW's Wondercon Exclusives online store, open now until April 12th!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

I still don't get how it's "Been going too long" when the actual Zombot stuff doesn't really start until #16 and once this finally ends the actual Metal virus Saga will only be 2 issues longer than the first "season". Yeah technically the first 3 issues are a part of it but I don't really count the Zombot arc as really starting until Sonic gets infected.

No, the beginning of the arc is still #13, and it will technically end with #32 with the literally called "epilogue". Season 3 is later this year. I know it's not really levels of Mecha Sally and Shattered World Crisis boring lenght, and as you said it builds gradually, up to #24 and then twists it with the arrival of the D6. It was built correctly. I can't complain. But I still want new arcs sooner than later. Although it's cool that we will get more Shadow and Omega before it ends, completing it, and Big in the annual, because these characters kinda got robbed of screentime here.

1 hour ago, Sonictrainer said:

EVLtaFEVAAABgqH?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Alrighty! Let’s go order it.

*postage ranges from 80 to 150 dollars*

Fuuuuuuuuuuck that.

Y'all don't know too long if you didn't see the "Shattered World Crisis" in Archie fizzle out in its last year.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Its still one issue a month, with a couple of delays factoring in as well. And there's no sister book to at least mince the status quo up a bit or even a cartoon in a different universe to alternatively watch each week.

That's unfortunately been a problem with this franchise for years. People get starved of decent content or bored of the same storyline on a monthly basis and so look to another to scratch an itch.

And that's not really happening with IDW in particular. I sometimes feel bad thinking about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can totes understand how it's too long. A bunch of this arc could be condensed down into shorter material. There's a lot of unneeded stuff. Which isnt the worst thing, but it's not interesting really. So it results in whole sections of books, or whole books that didnt need to exist.

That in itself kills tension for me, which makes shit feel even longer.

The thing is we are waiting, and due to the pandemic, we are waiting even more than usual delays. If this was a cartoon we could binge it on Netflix.

Going by this thread you'd binge it all and then start complaining there isn't five more seasons to watch.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Chuckle 2

Can I just check my understanding is correct - That the delays are only from May until further notice, so the next issue currently scheduled for 22 April is still being released for now. Is that right, or are we already on the hiatus? 

8 minutes ago, caitash said:

Can I just check my understanding is correct - That the delays are only from May until further notice, so the next issue currently scheduled for 22 April is still being released for now. Is that right, or are we already on the hiatus? 

Amazon doesn’t seem to think so, since they’re now listing both #28 and the annual for a June release.

EDIT: Previewsworld is claiming only the annual has been pushed back (to 10th of June).

Okay, after I asked a million times what do we want from the next arc, it's time I give it my thoughts a bit more in depth:

A smaller focused cast: Not every character has to appear in one arc, the one exception for the Metal Virus saga is Blaze (who was supposed to be in as well, she got cut for questionable storyline reasons), of course I'd give Silver a break from his doomed future, let him return there for a while, take a break from Team Dark as well to figure out what they can do with them (they are getting screentime before the saga ends anyway, so it won't be too bad). I'd like 6-8 main heroes in most issues of the next season without anyone else, just to break the patterns.

Introduce new comic originals: Maybe take a break from Tangle and Whisper? New characters always make things fresh and help shape the world the comic is in, plus they can take more liberties with them, original is the way. About the world of the comic...

Explore more worlds or/and realities: we have so many in the Sonic canon, we already excluded thanks to the q&a changes to the reality I think, for now at least... I still want that in the future. So how about the Mania timeline? Blaze's dimension? The human world from Unleashed? If not, then we could explore more of Sonic's world besides main cities and villages, more zones, from games and original ones as well. 

A proper map: No offense Cream, but your map sucks, I would like something else, and since SEGA doesn't seem to care about world building, I think IDW can take more liberties with that while still following the games. It's certainly still based on the world from Sonic Forces, so build from that. But don't make every issue filled with names and locations, it gets boring if you give too much exposition at once.

Character-driven stories: Make Sonic's friends do something while still having Sonic to back them up, I feel like Sonic has been given enough focus in these 2 sagas, a lot of stress, so give that to the oher characters maybe? Sonic plays best friend this time.

Less tension: So, still have good plot, but take more opportunities for each characters, more liberties where it's possible, and give them time to breathe! The situation is so dire in the current arc, there is literally no time for breaks.

More cuts from obscure games: Bring in Rush Adventure's themes and cast, do more with gizoids (if allowed), develop and twist the stuff from the games into original things (a la Omega in the epilogue of the arc, a la Metal skins from Heroes).

More team ups and duos: give us the unlikely interactions we didn't know we needed, the Zeti arc already does that and it's excellent, we need more of it. Also, more interactions between the villains like in Sonic #23 and #25, it's always interesting.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm honestly kinda hoping they do something with the whole "Warp Topaz can alter reality" thing for the next saga. It's Sega's 60th Anniversary it'd be fun if they did a Sega crossover as a celebration or if not that the 30th Anniversary of Sonic is next year so they could maybe do a special event for that.

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2020/04/14/sonic-the-hedgehog-idw-new-arc-writer-bad-guys-miniseries/

Ian Flynn is off the main comic for the time being, and producing a Miniseries called Sonic: Bad Guys that'll focus on Dr. Starline's whereabouts.

Evan Stanley, in addition to illustrating the comic, is now also writing it! Hot damn. 

• Thumbs Up 9