Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Woohoo! I hope this won’t reduce the amount of Evan-art too much though, she is my favourite artist on the Sonic comics.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh, snap congrats Evan. Can't wait to see what she'll bring to the table. Loved the Silver Age and her contribution to the Annual and her Boom episode so this should be really good.

• Thumbs Up 2

This is neat. It's been too long since we had another Sonic writer. Glad Flynn is staying on board in some capacity, but Stanley is definitely worthy! Though I guess we won't be seeing her stuff until after the Zombot saga is finished.

• Thumbs Up 1

Expect more clarification from Ian later also. It's not a complete passing of the torch just yet but I'd bet that's where this is headed.

Evan is 100% writing the next story arc but Ian will probably jump back in afterward.

• Thumbs Up 7

Can't wait to see what Evan brings to the table, although it makes more sense to me that Evan and Ian are now working as co-writers, more than Evan completely overtaking Ian as main writer.

I hope this means we might get to see a few of the other artists hop on board as writers. At the very least, I'd like to see Tracey get another shot at running a story, since his last arc was Pirate Plunder Panic back in Archie (Still lame he never got it reprinted either).

• Thumbs Up 1

FYI, there's no official solicitation yet; but the next story arc is dealing with finding parts to rebuild Omega; and Shadow, Rouge, and Cream do Chao Races to win parts for him. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Awesome to hear Evan is getting another chance in the writer's seat and I am already LOVING that her first issue pairs Shadow and Rouge with Cream for a Chao Racing adventure. Sounds like the perfect fun-tangent-while-also-progressing-something story for after the huge Metal Virus threat is taken care of.

Also super excited for the Bad Guys mini as villains are always some of the most interesting characters to me (with many of Sonic's in particular being a bit underutilized) and I love stories about unorthodox groups coming together. Should result in some pretty fun character interactions.

• Thumbs Up 1

If the Bad Guys arc is anything like Eggman's Dozen or Scrambled, it's sure to be a good time. Anytime Ian writes arcs specifically based on the villains becoming the so-called protagonists of an arc, it always ends up being pretty great. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

FYI, there's no official solicitation yet; but the next story arc is dealing with finding parts to rebuild Omega; and Shadow, Rouge, and Cream do Chao Races to win parts for him. 

Where is the source on this?

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

At last. Shadow gets to do dumb shit. 

I've always wanted some type of interaction between Shadow and Cream and now I get it in the best possible context. 

22 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

We're going to get so much Silver and Blaze content; it's like a fever dream. 

I wish it meant that "post '06 acknowledgement reunion" but likely not.

Anyway great news, especially the miniseries about bad guys and the less tense and more fun plots like Shadow and Rouge and Cream in Chao Races! Should be cool and drama-free, I hope it pleases fans. Plus more Shadow! Yay, I knew we wouldn't have had to worry he was gonna become... ugh, off-limits. Hopefully they sorted the limitations with SEGA.

Evan writes? Great, I loved what she wrote, btw I forgot she did the Silver Age in Archie and the Silver story in the Annual, besides Ghosts of the Future. But... I already miss Ian. Good thing he's not gone but they are teaming up.

Everything is great... except, I hope the virus hiatus ends soon.

Ah sweet relief is here.

I mean I would have rather a game character get a miniseries before two comic OC ones but the main comic can only go up..

5 minutes ago, Your Vest Friend said:

Ah sweet relief is here.

I mean I would have rather a game character get a miniseries before two comic OC ones but the main comic can only go up..

The mini includes, Dr. Starline, Rough and Tumble, Mimic AND... the fan favorite Zavok.

Tbh, Zavok is better than Rough and Tumble combined, I know it doesn't mean much, it's not really a standard, but still.

I'm honestly glad they're giving the OC's a miniseries first because it allows the audience to actually care about them. One of the things that stuck out about Sonic Universe was that it was almost always headlined by a character from the video game series. Nothing wrong with that, but it gave off the impression that the writers felt the comic exclusive characters couldn't hold a story arc of their own without a well known game character was attached to it.

Giving the OC's time to shine away from the game cast actually allows them to stand on their own. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess I'm going to be the sole outlier here who really isn't looking forward to the comic being written by Evan due to my strong dislike of Silver and of Blaze being anywhere near him. I'll give things a shot, but if that and other character depictions go how I expect, I might be dropping off after the Metal Virus arc is done. But not yet. I still want to know what becomes of Sonic himself after all of this.

I'll definitely check out that "Bad Guys" thing, though. If there's anything I've always loved about Ian's writing, it's how he handles the villains.

4 minutes ago, Waveshocker Sigma said:

I guess I'm going to be the sole outlier here who really isn't looking forward to the comic being written by Evan due to my strong dislike of Silver and of Blaze being anywhere near him. I'll give things a shot, but if that and other character depictions go how I expect, I might be dropping off after the Metal Virus arc is done. But not yet. I still want to know what becomes of Sonic himself after all of this.

I'll definitely check out that "Bad Guys" thing, though. If there's anything I've always loved about Ian's writing, it's how he handles the villains.

You got something against Silver mate. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I wasn't overly big on her arc in the reboot, but that was just one outing, and it's not like Ian's always been consistent either. I'm willing to see where it goes.

6 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

You got something against Silver mate. 

...Pretty sure I just said that yeah. But that's not important right now.

In all honesty, I'm having a hard time imagining what this switch could mean without knowing how the Metal Virus arc ends. The hiatus keeping us from seeing that end for awhile isn't going to make matters any easier, either. Unless I'm rememebring wrong and we actually will be getting that ending before said hiatus.

Wait a minute I remember a while back Evan was talking about trying to work an LGBT character into a pitch she was working on. I don't know if it's this but if it is I hope she managed to do it.

Also I know Evan does a lot if Silver stuff but I'd think the fact Silver isn't mentioned at all in the story synopsis might mean he isn't in the story.