Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

I can totes understand how it's too long. A bunch of this arc could be condensed down into shorter material. There's a lot of unneeded stuff. Which isnt the worst thing, but it's not interesting really. So it results in whole sections of books, or whole books that didnt need to exist.

That in itself kills tension for me, which makes shit feel even longer.

Can I just check my understanding is correct - That the delays are only from May until further notice, so the next issue currently scheduled for 22 April is still being released for now. Is that right, or are we already on the hiatus? 

8 minutes ago, caitash said:

Can I just check my understanding is correct - That the delays are only from May until further notice, so the next issue currently scheduled for 22 April is still being released for now. Is that right, or are we already on the hiatus? 

Amazon doesn’t seem to think so, since they’re now listing both #28 and the annual for a June release.

EDIT: Previewsworld is claiming only the annual has been pushed back (to 10th of June).

Okay, after I asked a million times what do we want from the next arc, it's time I give it my thoughts a bit more in depth:

A smaller focused cast: Not every character has to appear in one arc, the one exception for the Metal Virus saga is Blaze (who was supposed to be in as well, she got cut for questionable storyline reasons), of course I'd give Silver a break from his doomed future, let him return there for a while, take a break from Team Dark as well to figure out what they can do with them (they are getting screentime before the saga ends anyway, so it won't be too bad). I'd like 6-8 main heroes in most issues of the next season without anyone else, just to break the patterns.

Introduce new comic originals: Maybe take a break from Tangle and Whisper? New characters always make things fresh and help shape the world the comic is in, plus they can take more liberties with them, original is the way. About the world of the comic...

Explore more worlds or/and realities: we have so many in the Sonic canon, we already excluded thanks to the q&a changes to the reality I think, for now at least... I still want that in the future. So how about the Mania timeline? Blaze's dimension? The human world from Unleashed? If not, then we could explore more of Sonic's world besides main cities and villages, more zones, from games and original ones as well. 

A proper map: No offense Cream, but your map sucks, I would like something else, and since SEGA doesn't seem to care about world building, I think IDW can take more liberties with that while still following the games. It's certainly still based on the world from Sonic Forces, so build from that. But don't make every issue filled with names and locations, it gets boring if you give too much exposition at once.

Character-driven stories: Make Sonic's friends do something while still having Sonic to back them up, I feel like Sonic has been given enough focus in these 2 sagas, a lot of stress, so give that to the oher characters maybe? Sonic plays best friend this time.

Less tension: So, still have good plot, but take more opportunities for each characters, more liberties where it's possible, and give them time to breathe! The situation is so dire in the current arc, there is literally no time for breaks.

More cuts from obscure games: Bring in Rush Adventure's themes and cast, do more with gizoids (if allowed), develop and twist the stuff from the games into original things (a la Omega in the epilogue of the arc, a la Metal skins from Heroes).

More team ups and duos: give us the unlikely interactions we didn't know we needed, the Zeti arc already does that and it's excellent, we need more of it. Also, more interactions between the villains like in Sonic #23 and #25, it's always interesting.

I'm honestly kinda hoping they do something with the whole "Warp Topaz can alter reality" thing for the next saga. It's Sega's 60th Anniversary it'd be fun if they did a Sega crossover as a celebration or if not that the 30th Anniversary of Sonic is next year so they could maybe do a special event for that.

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2020/04/14/sonic-the-hedgehog-idw-new-arc-writer-bad-guys-miniseries/

Ian Flynn is off the main comic for the time being, and producing a Miniseries called Sonic: Bad Guys that'll focus on Dr. Starline's whereabouts.

Evan Stanley, in addition to illustrating the comic, is now also writing it! Hot damn. 

Can't wait to see what Evan brings to the table, although it makes more sense to me that Evan and Ian are now working as co-writers, more than Evan completely overtaking Ian as main writer.

I hope this means we might get to see a few of the other artists hop on board as writers. At the very least, I'd like to see Tracey get another shot at running a story, since his last arc was Pirate Plunder Panic back in Archie (Still lame he never got it reprinted either).

Awesome to hear Evan is getting another chance in the writer's seat and I am already LOVING that her first issue pairs Shadow and Rouge with Cream for a Chao Racing adventure. Sounds like the perfect fun-tangent-while-also-progressing-something story for after the huge Metal Virus threat is taken care of.

Also super excited for the Bad Guys mini as villains are always some of the most interesting characters to me (with many of Sonic's in particular being a bit underutilized) and I love stories about unorthodox groups coming together. Should result in some pretty fun character interactions.

5 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

FYI, there's no official solicitation yet; but the next story arc is dealing with finding parts to rebuild Omega; and Shadow, Rouge, and Cream do Chao Races to win parts for him. 

Where is the source on this?