Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

33 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

I'm honestly glad they're giving the OC's a miniseries first because it allows the audience to actually care about them. One of the things that stuck out about Sonic Universe was that it was almost always headlined by a character from the video game series. Nothing wrong with that, but it gave off the impression that the writers felt the comic exclusive characters couldn't hold a story arc of their own without a well known game character was attached to it.

From what I recall sales usually backed that up, unfortunately--for example, even with throwing Tails and Big in, I remember hearing Spark of Life didn't sell as well as the arcs around it. Which really sucks, lol.

Oh thank God, a storyline where IDW Shadow might actually have a personality. Finally.

• Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

Oh thank God, a storyline where IDW Shadow might actually have a personality. Finally.

He's long overdue for that.

32 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Wait a minute I remember a while back Evan was talking about trying to work an LGBT character into a pitch she was working on. I don't know if it's this but if it is I hope she managed to do it.

Also I know Evan does a lot if Silver stuff but I'd think the fact Silver isn't mentioned at all in the story synopsis might mean he isn't in the story.

Oh really? Wasn't she talking about a personal project? Or maybe Tangle and Whisper? Starline? Lol

If that's the case then please be a non stereotypical good guy lol

23 minutes ago, Celestia said:

From what I recall sales usually backed that up, unfortunately--for example, even with throwing Tails and Big in, I remember hearing Spark of Life didn't sell as well as the arcs around it. Which really sucks, lol.

To be fair, while that is true, the comics were steadily declining in sales at that time aside from a brief spike from World's Unite; that was also around the time when Archie was slowly phasing the book out and promoting their other series.

Spoiler

EVlXtu1WsAE8oHC?format=jpg&name=4096x409EVlXxEUXkAMJzw4?format=jpg&name=4096x409EVlXy4qWAAQbwFx?format=jpg&name=4096x409EVlbamoWkAMFyX7?format=jpg&name=360x360

Gigi D on Twitter: Since it's out--here's some progress shots of @IDWSonicNews Sonic's #33 Issue B Cover! 

Feel free to color if you'd like, too!

Unfortunately, Pizza Silver didn't make it to the final cover (yes he's gonna eat that whole pizza)

• Thumbs Up 3

The thing I'm most excited about is we're actually getting our first one-off story in the mainline IDW comics! As much as I enjoy the big, sweeping epics that have pretty much made up the entirety of the IDW Sonic run so far, I love me some smaller, more intimate stories that Archie Sonic was so good at.

Can't deny I'm surprised that the bad guys are getting a mini-series. I mean, even Sonic Universe was leery on giving comic-exclusive characters their own 4-parters, so I can't help but worry that a Starline-focused mini-series isn't going to do well sales-wise.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm seeing the reaction in other places. A lot of people dont likebthe idw villains it seems. I think they are great,  weird

Also

"Go sega"

This could totally only extend to sonic, and most likely will. But potential for other sega idw stuff?

12 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I'm seeing the reaction in other places. A lot of people dont likebthe idw villains it seems. I think they are great,  weird

Also

"Go sega"

This could totally only extend to sonic, and most likely will. But potential for other sega idw stuff?

I'm pretty sure the GO SEGA thing is meant to be "60 SEGA" since it's supposed to be an Anniversary, I think.

Also this is great news. I like Ian Flynn & have enjoyed IDW for the most part, but Evan's a very underrated writer & I'm hyped to see her in the head writer position for a bit. The Sonic Bad Guys thing sounds cool too & I really wanna see what Ian does with Starline here.

2 hours ago, Wraith said:

Where is the source on this?

While I'm here for this

I kinda hope the story is mostly about shadow and rouge kinda working through their differences whilst fixing a friend. Could be pretty wholesome.

Hopefully this is an indication that so many people were upset Sega legit went "oh shit my bad, I fucked up thought you would like shadowgeta" and kinda backed off

The morbid depraved version of me, kinda Hope's that didnt happen. And wishes to see how sega editorial would fuck this up. Because this situation could end with shadow punching small children over loosing bets and i find that visual halarious

So there are various things that are pointing at Ian maaaaybe writing more Sonic projects, with him taking a step back from the main comics for a bit, himself basically hinting at new Sonic stuff on his Twitter, plus that 2 seconds trip he did to Sega HQ when he cameo'd on the livestream. I wonder what could it be... the question is... game or cartoon? Take this with a grain of salt though. Pure speculation.

I suck at keeping track of who wrote what and how different it is, but I'm looking forward to seeing how Evan Stanley can change things up. Some people may be worried but I'm sure she will keep it professional and not let too much of her personal interests get in.

The Bad guys spin-off is an eeeeeh. But then I wasn't that interested in Tangle and Whisper's spinoff either. I think Starline has the most potential in the IDW villain group, so hoping the comic will bring some more opportunities for him.

Guys, you don't how excited I am for that Team Dark story; this is going to be canon in a couple of months and I'm so fucking excited lol.

1586884617932.png

• Thumbs Up 9

4 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Guys, you don't how excited I am for that Team Dark story; this is going to be canon in a couple of months and I'm so fucking excited lol.

1586884617932.png

Sega breaks into your home somehow

We tricked you, the story is actually about zavok.

5 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Sega breaks into your home somehow

We tricked you, the story is actually about zavok.

You joke, but I'd buy a Zavok chao racing book in a heartbeat.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, thumbs13 said:

Its actually about zavok doing his taxes

1 minute ago, Shadowlax said:

That's literally more interesting than anything else he's done. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, JosepHenry said:

Oh really? Wasn't she talking about a personal project? Or maybe Tangle and Whisper? Starline? Lol

If that's the case then please be a non stereotypical good guy lol

Honestly no idea I've just seen her tweet and post on Tumblr about ways to casually work an LGBT character into a pitch. She never specified what for but it could very likely be Sonic especially since David Marriot did say we will be seeing new characters. 

• Promotion 2

Cream having a wholesome(?)/lighthearted story (especially one involving chaos) is something she really needs and deserves, especially after all the crap she's been through. 

• Thumbs Up 3

4 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2020/04/14/sonic-the-hedgehog-idw-new-arc-writer-bad-guys-miniseries/

Ian Flynn is off the main comic for the time being, and producing a Miniseries called Sonic: Bad Guys that'll focus on Dr. Starline's whereabouts.

Evan Stanley, in addition to illustrating the comic, is now also writing it! Hot damn. 

4 hours ago, Wraith said:

Expect more clarification from Ian later also. It's not a complete passing of the torch just yet but I'd bet that's where this is headed.

Evan is 100% writing the next story arc but Ian will probably jump back in afterward.

It's cool to be introducing other writing other writers into the fold now. Admittedly IDW was kinda begging for it with the lighter n tighter approach.

4 hours ago, Kuzu said:

We're going to get so much Silver and Blaze content; it's like a fever dream. 

A bit typecasty, doncha think?

It is the main book.

4 hours ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

New covers:

Hide contents

EVlDoK-WoAAHmlT?format=jpg&name=large

Hide contents

EVlGIEaUMAAQsoa?format=jpg&name=large

EVlGUQoU8AAzUn5?format=jpg&name=large

Oh, Rough n Tumble and Blaze are back! Could Sleuth also be making a return at last?

4 hours ago, Kuzu said:

FYI, there's no official solicitation yet; but the next story arc is dealing with finding parts to rebuild Omega; and Shadow, Rouge, and Cream do Chao Races to win parts for him. 

Shadow Rouge and Cream

Shadow

O.O  

I guess he did say somethings about the Dark Chao and a pitch, didn't he?

4 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

If the Bad Guys arc is anything like Eggman's Dozen or Scrambled, it's sure to be a good time. Anytime Ian writes arcs specifically based on the villains becoming the so-called protagonists of an arc, it always ends up being pretty great. 

I do kinda wonder what it's about and how it's happening, giving how scattered these jerks, psychos, and fops are.

4 hours ago, Kuzu said:

I've always wanted some type of interaction between Shadow and Cream and now I get it in the best possible context. 

Boy, they're just handing out unlikely pair ups lately, aren't they?

4 hours ago, Your Vest Friend said:

Ah sweet relief is here.

I mean I would have rather a game character get a miniseries before two comic OC ones but the main comic can only go up..

They are indeed pushing them with their side stories, so that's something.

4 hours ago, Jack at Home said:

The mini includes, Dr. Starline, Rough and Tumble, Mimic AND... the fan favorite Zavok.

Tbh, Zavok is better than Rough and Tumble combined, I know it doesn't mean much, it's not really a standard, but still.

The Cheese

Still, what makes you say that?

3 hours ago, Kuzu said:

I'm honestly glad they're giving the OC's a miniseries first because it allows the audience to actually care about them. One of the things that stuck out about Sonic Universe was that it was almost always headlined by a character from the video game series. Nothing wrong with that, but it gave off the impression that the writers felt the comic exclusive characters couldn't hold a story arc of their own without a well known game character was attached to it.

Giving the OC's time to shine away from the game cast actually allows them to stand on their own. 

Part of that was also on SEGA from what I recall. There was gonna be a Merlin & the Neo Walkers arc that got shelved early on, Mighty & Ray's trip apparently had more to it, and both Scourge Lockdown and Spark of Life got off the ground because Evil Sonic and Sally were considered special cases by SEGA.

2 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:
  Hide contents

EVlXtu1WsAE8oHC?format=jpg&name=4096x409EVlXxEUXkAMJzw4?format=jpg&name=4096x409EVlXy4qWAAQbwFx?format=jpg&name=4096x409EVlbamoWkAMFyX7?format=jpg&name=360x360

Thought we got a lot of spoilers there for a second. Guess SEGA didn't want the Rabbit Family front and center.

2 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Can't deny I'm surprised that the bad guys are getting a mini-series. I mean, even Sonic Universe was leery on giving comic-exclusive characters their own 4-parters, so I can't help but worry that a Starline-focused mini-series isn't going to do well sales-wise.

"We probably wouldn't have been able to push the team without Zavok, but now that he is there, we can have a lot of fun with them."

2 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

While I'm here for this

I kinda hope the story is mostly about shadow and rouge kinda working through their differences whilst fixing a friend. Could be pretty wholesome.

Oh yeah, that would explain her otherwise disparate inclusion.

2 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Hopefully this is an indication that so many people were upset Sega legit went "oh shit my bad, I fucked up thought you would like shadowgeta" and kinda backed off

The morbid depraved version of me, kinda Hope's that didnt happen. And wishes to see how sega editorial would fuck this up. Because this situation could end with shadow punching small children over loosing bets and i find that visual halarious

Stage Mom Shadow ftl

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

1586884617932.png

Htg, I thought that was a McDonald's ad.

1 hour ago, thumbs13 said:

Insert TSR joke here

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

That's literally more interesting than anything else he's done. 

Makes me think of that Dissected video with the Tophat and all

19 minutes ago, Sir Tinstripe said:

Cream having a wholesome(?)/lighthearted story (especially one involving chaos) is something she really needs and deserves, especially after all the crap she's been through. 

Oh absolutely.

Now that you mention it, they are definitely gonna play on Shadow raising his own Shadow Chao like in Sonic Channel. I need this. Make it happen!

• Thumbs Up 1

Shadow took the time to make a Shadow Chao...what a hero.

Even gave it more power stats so it wouldn't have green stripes..

16 minutes ago, Jack at Home said:

Now that you mention it, they are definitely gonna play on Shadow raising his own Shadow Chao like in Sonic Channel. I need this. Make it happen!

9 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Shadow took the time to make a Shadow Chao...what a hero.

Even gave it more power stats so it wouldn't have green stripes..

He would be the Ultimate Nuturer to do that, wouldn't he?

Interesting turn, keeping in mind even Boom was unwilling to break Shadow's sinister mystique with too much comedy.

But when do we get "Eggman Might Not Need Glasses"?

• Thumbs Up 1