Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

2 hours ago, JosepHenry said:

Oh really? Wasn't she talking about a personal project? Or maybe Tangle and Whisper? Starline? Lol

If that's the case then please be a non stereotypical good guy lol

Honestly no idea I've just seen her tweet and post on Tumblr about ways to casually work an LGBT character into a pitch. She never specified what for but it could very likely be Sonic especially since David Marriot did say we will be seeing new characters. 

4 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2020/04/14/sonic-the-hedgehog-idw-new-arc-writer-bad-guys-miniseries/

Ian Flynn is off the main comic for the time being, and producing a Miniseries called Sonic: Bad Guys that'll focus on Dr. Starline's whereabouts.

Evan Stanley, in addition to illustrating the comic, is now also writing it! Hot damn. 

4 hours ago, Wraith said:

Expect more clarification from Ian later also. It's not a complete passing of the torch just yet but I'd bet that's where this is headed.

Evan is 100% writing the next story arc but Ian will probably jump back in afterward.

It's cool to be introducing other writing other writers into the fold now. Admittedly IDW was kinda begging for it with the lighter n tighter approach.

4 hours ago, Kuzu said:

We're going to get so much Silver and Blaze content; it's like a fever dream. 

A bit typecasty, doncha think?

It is the main book.

4 hours ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

New covers:

Hide contents

EVlDoK-WoAAHmlT?format=jpg&name=large

Hide contents

EVlGIEaUMAAQsoa?format=jpg&name=large

EVlGUQoU8AAzUn5?format=jpg&name=large

Oh, Rough n Tumble and Blaze are back! Could Sleuth also be making a return at last?

4 hours ago, Kuzu said:

FYI, there's no official solicitation yet; but the next story arc is dealing with finding parts to rebuild Omega; and Shadow, Rouge, and Cream do Chao Races to win parts for him. 

Shadow Rouge and Cream

Shadow

O.O  

I guess he did say somethings about the Dark Chao and a pitch, didn't he?

4 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

If the Bad Guys arc is anything like Eggman's Dozen or Scrambled, it's sure to be a good time. Anytime Ian writes arcs specifically based on the villains becoming the so-called protagonists of an arc, it always ends up being pretty great. 

I do kinda wonder what it's about and how it's happening, giving how scattered these jerks, psychos, and fops are.

4 hours ago, Kuzu said:

I've always wanted some type of interaction between Shadow and Cream and now I get it in the best possible context. 

Boy, they're just handing out unlikely pair ups lately, aren't they?

4 hours ago, Your Vest Friend said:

Ah sweet relief is here.

I mean I would have rather a game character get a miniseries before two comic OC ones but the main comic can only go up..

They are indeed pushing them with their side stories, so that's something.

4 hours ago, Jack at Home said:

The mini includes, Dr. Starline, Rough and Tumble, Mimic AND... the fan favorite Zavok.

Tbh, Zavok is better than Rough and Tumble combined, I know it doesn't mean much, it's not really a standard, but still.

The Cheese

Still, what makes you say that?

3 hours ago, Kuzu said:

I'm honestly glad they're giving the OC's a miniseries first because it allows the audience to actually care about them. One of the things that stuck out about Sonic Universe was that it was almost always headlined by a character from the video game series. Nothing wrong with that, but it gave off the impression that the writers felt the comic exclusive characters couldn't hold a story arc of their own without a well known game character was attached to it.

Giving the OC's time to shine away from the game cast actually allows them to stand on their own. 

Part of that was also on SEGA from what I recall. There was gonna be a Merlin & the Neo Walkers arc that got shelved early on, Mighty & Ray's trip apparently had more to it, and both Scourge Lockdown and Spark of Life got off the ground because Evil Sonic and Sally were considered special cases by SEGA.

2 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:
  Hide contents

EVlXtu1WsAE8oHC?format=jpg&name=4096x409EVlXxEUXkAMJzw4?format=jpg&name=4096x409EVlXy4qWAAQbwFx?format=jpg&name=4096x409EVlbamoWkAMFyX7?format=jpg&name=360x360

Thought we got a lot of spoilers there for a second. Guess SEGA didn't want the Rabbit Family front and center.

2 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Can't deny I'm surprised that the bad guys are getting a mini-series. I mean, even Sonic Universe was leery on giving comic-exclusive characters their own 4-parters, so I can't help but worry that a Starline-focused mini-series isn't going to do well sales-wise.

"We probably wouldn't have been able to push the team without Zavok, but now that he is there, we can have a lot of fun with them."

2 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

While I'm here for this

I kinda hope the story is mostly about shadow and rouge kinda working through their differences whilst fixing a friend. Could be pretty wholesome.

Oh yeah, that would explain her otherwise disparate inclusion.

Hopefully this is an indication that so many people were upset Sega legit went "oh shit my bad, I fucked up thought you would like shadowgeta" and kinda backed off

The morbid depraved version of me, kinda Hope's that didnt happen. And wishes to see how sega editorial would fuck this up. Because this situation could end with shadow punching small children over loosing bets and i find that visual halarious

Stage Mom Shadow ftl

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

Guys, you don't how excited I am for that Team Dark story; this is going to be canon in a couple of months and I'm so fucking excited lol.

1586884617932.png

Htg, I thought that was a McDonald's ad.

1 hour ago, thumbs13 said:

You joke, but I'd buy a Zavok chao racing book in a heartbeat.

Insert TSR joke here

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

Its actually about zavok doing his taxes

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

That's literally more interesting than anything else he's done. 

Makes me think of that Dissected video with the Tophat and all

19 minutes ago, Sir Tinstripe said:

Cream having a wholesome(?)/lighthearted story (especially one involving chaos) is something she really needs and deserves, especially after all the crap she's been through. 

Oh absolutely.

16 minutes ago, Jack at Home said:

Now that you mention it, they are definitely gonna play on Shadow raising his own Shadow Chao like in Sonic Channel. I need this. Make it happen!

9 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Shadow took the time to make a Shadow Chao...what a hero.

Even gave it more power stats so it wouldn't have green stripes..

He would be the Ultimate Nuturer to do that, wouldn't he?

After Eggman's Dozen I am 1000% on board with devoting some issues to flushing out the fuzzy villain cast. Even better considering is another mini and we won't have to de-rail the main comic to do it. Mimic is a bit too... uh... "busted" for lack of a better word, so I am interested to see if they attempt to balance him in any way shape or form.

Evan will be fine stepping up to write. She's done good work in the past.

3 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

After Eggman's Dozen I am 1000% on board with devoting some issues to flushing out the fuzzy villain cast. Even better considering is another mini and we won't have to de-rail the main comic to do it. Mimic is a bit too... uh... "busted" for lack of a better word, so I am interested to see if they attempt to balance him in any way shape or form.

Evan will be fine stepping up to write. She's done good work in the past.

I don't think mimic is really busted

I admittedly looked over him.

What in terms of morals or what?

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

I admittedly looked over him.

What in terms of morals or what?

The person above said he was busted I assume he was talking in powers. I don't think he is , he isn't like kirby where if kirby copies you he becomes you kirby. Its for the most part a visual thing and whether that works depends on how much dirt he has on you and do you care and can you see through the bullshit.

He could make for a lot of interesting " how does X character act in response " bits though. Its a useful as hell power, but like if you encounter someone who wildly doesn't give a fuck he's just kinda screwed.

12 hours ago, E-122-Psi said:

Interesting turn, keeping in mind even Boom was unwilling to break Shadow's sinister mystique with too much comedy.

But when do we get "Eggman Might Not Need Glasses"?

Wow, this is so interesting... I wonder, does this means they are more confident in what they can do with Shadow this time? Rather than in Boom which played it safe, as well as SEGA's limitations with him during season 2.

Btw, we really need to find other hobbys to pass time during the covid hiatus, I'm loving what I hear from IDW but this makes me too impatient for more comics... so, I'm gonna re-read some Archie ones.

I'd bet money that this spinoff was definitely gonna be one of the announcements at the SXSW panel. If this April thing is a video presentation, (and it likely is)  then it was smart to get this one out of the way now.

6 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

I don't think mimic is really busted

He's busted in a narrative sense. His ability to shapeshift like that is a really tricky subject to write around. He's got too much infiltration capabilities with minimal effort. 

Now every time a character does something that is the slightest bit out of character, or gives a side eye or funny look, we get to ramp up the conspiracy engine and wonder if that is Mimic in deep cover 

Kinda like the Skrulls in marvel. It's too easy to lean into their ability to replace people to try and spice up a narrative, while at the same time provides the character what amounts to a get out of jail free card whenever they need it. 

There needs to be some kind of counter to it. Either more characters like Whisper who are hyper aware of his shenanigans and can't be fooled or more guys like Knuckles who can "see through" illusions like it's a passive ability (like how he used to be with the chameleons). 

30 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

He's busted in a narrative sense. His ability to shapeshift like that is a really tricky subject to write around. He's got too much infiltration capabilities with minimal effort. 

Now every time a character does something that is the slightest bit out of character, or gives a side eye or funny look, we get to ramp up the conspiracy engine and wonder if that is Mimic in deep cover 

Kinda like the Skrulls in marvel. It's too easy to lean into their ability to replace people to try and spice up a narrative, while at the same time provides the character what amounts to a get out of jail free card whenever they need it. 

There needs to be some kind of counter to it. Either more characters like Whisper who are hyper aware of his shenanigans and can't be fooled or more guys like Knuckles who can "see through" illusions like it's a passive ability (like how he used to be with the chameleons). 

I feel as though this a misunderstanding of why the skrulls are busted a species and narrative device. And an over estimation of mimic. Two key points

1) there are a bunch of skrull and only one mimic

2) skrulls can replicate personality and powers and mimic can only kind of do the first thing and cant do the 2nd thing.

These two in combination keep him from being busted

Yeah, shapeshifters that don't copy personality and don't copy powers are only good for maybe infiltration sometimes. Less of the skrulls and more of a Clayface I'd say. 

Also become a lot less effective on a lot of the main cast understand a shape shifter in play. Narratively there's a very real eventual point whre they just loose their power against a lot of the main cast and kind of have to be regulated to shape shifting newer characters or narrative specific characters or background folks to get the job done.

4 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Also become a lot less effective on a lot of the main cast understand a shape shifter in play. Narratively there's a very real eventual point whre they just loose their power against a lot of the main cast and kind of have to be regulated to shape shifting newer characters or narrative specific characters or background folks to get the job done.

Funnily enough, Boom actually realized that with Morpho/Steve Eggman. In his first appearance, his shapeshifting was threateming to the team and he was hard to take down, but when he pulled the same shtick in his second appearance, it failed because everyone caught on to him. Shapeshifting still has its uses in general, but Mimic isn't as threatening once you realize what he can do. 

Mimic doesn't need to try and copy someone with a superpower or a well known complex personality to be effective. What's stopping him from swapping places with Lanolin and squealing all of the resistance plans to eggy?  Whats stopping him from rigging Chao races by turning into one?

It might be easy to see something is off about your best friend, but that ball is in another court if Mimic takes the form of some random Joe. 

Even if Whisper were to warn everyone that a shapeshifter was in play, you literally can't be suspicious of everyone. Especially considering that half the cast is known to be reckless and will jump headfirst into situations without thinking. 

I just remembered how Shadow, Rouge, and Cream were an unofficial team in the first two Riders.

1 hour ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Whats stopping him from rigging Chao races by turning into one?

A racket for the second previous decade.