Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

I remember the first page or two of it and a few select images after.

Post 160 Archie sure does match the writing style of Other M.

I hear that title now and then, was that the fanwork Ian published before he started working for Archie?

To be fair GotF is still going. Sure we shouldn't judge by the chapters uploaded way back in 2007, but I'd say the chapters she released these past 1-2 years would reflect her current style. (idk how frequent she updates the comic)

2 hours ago, thumbs13 said:

I mean, shouldn't we be looking at her writing for the book as an example of her writing for the book? Like the Silver Age and the annual story where Silver and Blaze planted a garden? 

True.

imo the annual was a short unrelated story, and the Silver Age was in a different continuity/environment, and we already know IDW works somewhat differently from Archie. So we'd just have to see how she handles the main story.

34 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

I hear that title now and then, was that the fanwork Ian published before he started working for Archie?

Yep. Though posted is a better word.

34 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

To be fair GotF is still going. Sure we shouldn't judge by the chapters uploaded way back in 2007, but I'd say the chapters she released these past 1-2 years would reflect her current style. (idk how frequent she updates the comic)

Oh, is it?

Hm, guess she would still have time 

45 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I hope rouge gets to be a character. In this last bit

Trying to decide the mood of this.

26 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Trying to decide the mood of this.

Rouge as a character has become one who is more reactionary than one who gets to give her take.  Even under Ian's pen she's kinda there to react instead of focus on her.  And this is a prime opportunity narrative wise to give her some space to air how she feels and to get to do stuff. And I'm afraid she might not get that.

That's the temp

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Rouge as a character has become one who is more reactionary than one who gets to give her take.  Even under Ian's pen she's kinda there to react instead of focus on her.  And this is a prime opportunity narrative wise to give her some space to air how she feels and to get to do stuff. And I'm afraid she might not get that.

That's the temp

Hmph...I guess I do see what you mean.

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

I hope rouge gets to be a character. In this last bit

Watch as she is thrown into the zomboticizer by Zavok. No doubt and not kidding. Not only Ian is trying to make the Zeti dangerous, and writing them properly, Zavok is the final antagonist of the arc (sans the epilogue), I highly doubt he will get outsmarted by Rouge, who by the way is underestimating the Zeti.

In fact I'm worried it may even happen off screen. I hope not, I want that Rouge vs Zombot Shadow confrontation.

5 minutes ago, Jack at Home said:

Watch as she is thrown into the zomboticizer by Zavok. No doubt and not kidding. Not only Ian is trying to make the Zeti dangerous, and writing them properly, Zavok is the final antagonist of the arc (sans the epilogue), I highly doubt he will get outsmarted by Rouge, who by the way is underestimating the Zeti.

In fact I'm worried it may even happen off screen. I hope not, I want that Rouge vs Zombot Shadow confrontation.

You see, I was totally gonna stay silent about that. :lol:

But yeah, if I can say anything, I hope we actually get a bat and...word-for-ogre-that-rhymes-with-mouse game with him before or during the next issues.

43 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Hmph...I guess I do see what you mean.

It's been my issue with her in idw primarily.

Rouge is usually in a secondary role, which inherently limits what you can actually do with her. And given the next few issues are focusing on the Zeti as the main antagonists, I'm trying to wonder what is it that she can do that's meaningful. 

They are both smart and manipulators, strategists. It will be interesting anyway, I still predict Zavok will prevail due to being the big bad. Usually those are one step ahead of the heroes.

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

Rouge is usually in a secondary role, which inherently limits what you can actually do with her.

Somewhat. Being overly associated with Shadow also plays a part.

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

And given the next few issues are focusing on the Zeti as the main antagonists, I'm trying to wonder what is it that she can do that's meaningful. 

Depends on what Zavok's next move will be as the other fights wrap up.

12 minutes ago, Jack at Home said:

They are both smart and manipulators, strategists. It will be interesting anyway, I still predict Zavok will prevail due to being the big bad. Usually those are one step ahead of the heroes.

Off topic question: are you that Tangle fan?

4 hours ago, Kuzu said:

Rouge is usually in a secondary role, which inherently limits what you can actually do with her. And given the next few issues are focusing on the Zeti as the main antagonists, I'm trying to wonder what is it that she can do that's meaningful. 

I mean the book has focused on secondary characters before, you can just give her some more focus. And what she can do , I can't say specifically because I ain't writing it. But I got two hopes

1) Active Role, she does a thing that's cool and matters and shows you why she is infact cool and matters. I dunno zavok thinks she got her, but she in fact got him.

2) Give her thoughts. Given her role in a lot of this, she has to have thoughts right? Give him, her best friend/maybe boyfirned is a zombie and she may feel partially at fault. Also outside of all that... I kind of want to her  and more characters thoughts on the zeti in general. The zeti are weird, they just kind of exist.  And even dealing with them, you don't really get all of the casts thoughts on them. If they are gonna show up on the reg, I would like takes.

So yeah, do a cool thing and have thoughts deeper than a puddle about the situation. These seem like simple asks, but uh sometimes the book don't work out the way I want it to

Back on that zeti point, does anyone actually say anything to zavok in TSR or about Zavok in forces? Even in this book, they are kinda delt with , gemeril kind is the one that does the most in reaction to them really. Its kind of like the cast themselves don't care to deal with them. Its weird.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't care if she does a cool thing that matters, I care more about how her character is used. I don't think there's really enough room in the current story arc for Rouge to get all that much focus, so I'm not really expecting much here. The story arc with her, Shadow, and Cream seems like the perfect opportunity for that tho. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

I don't care if she does a cool thing that matters, I care more about how her character is used.

I think we want the same thing, but ok.

2 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

I don't think there's really enough room in the current story arc for Rouge to get all that much focus, so I'm not really expecting much here. The story arc with her, Shadow, and Cream seems like the perfect opportunity for that tho. 

We'll see

7 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

That's the temp

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

I don't care if she does a cool thing that matters, I care more about how her character is used. I don't think there's really enough room in the current story arc for Rouge to get all that much focus, so I'm not really expecting much here. The story arc with her, Shadow, and Cream seems like the perfect opportunity for that tho. 

There’s also a chance that one of the stories of this year’s annual will focus on how she made it to Eggman’s faceship; giving her an opportunity to be the main focus for once. Whereas last year’s did had a story featuring her but the majority of it came off from Rough and Tumble’s point of view instead.

54 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I mean the book has focused on secondary characters before, you can just give her some more focus. And what she can do , I can't say specifically because I ain't writing it. But I got two hopes

1) Active Role, she does a thing that's cool and matters and shows you why she is infact cool and matters. I dunno zavok thinks she got her, but she in fact got him.

I'd expect some bit of switcheroo as well, assuming we have time.

2) Give her thoughts. Given her role in a lot of this, she has to have thoughts right? Give him, her best friend/maybe boyfirned is a zombie and she may feel partially at fault. Also outside of all that... .

That third sentence structure...

We might get some introspection as Zavok is officially hunting for her. Might not be much, but hey.

I kind of want to her  and more characters thoughts on the zeti in general. The zeti are weird, they just kind of exist.  And even dealing with them, you don't really get all of the casts thoughts on them. If they are gonna show up on the reg, I would like takes.

So yeah, do a cool thing and have thoughts deeper than a puddle about the situation. These seem like simple asks, but uh sometimes the book don't work out the way I want it to

Using this to answer the last part of the next question.

Thus far, it's just been  things like Starline researching them, Espio mentioning them as formidable, Sonic & Tails having to explain what each of them is like, and then Amy being weirded out by Zomom. Also, Cream's fight with Zeena is two way.

Back on that zeti point, does anyone actually say anything to zavok in TSR or about Zavok in forces? Even in this book, they are kinda delt with , gemeril kind is the one that does the most in reaction to them really. Its kind of like the cast themselves don't care to deal with them. Its weird.

In the story mode, Knuckles gets alarmed about Zavok getting involved alongside Dodon Pa ramping things up and suggest they figure out what's going on asap, while Sonic is merely annoyed and completely disregards him as much to worry about to reassure the others. Cubot also makes a remark about him joining the losing team while leaving the mic on.

In gameplay, most characters find his brutal nature obnoxious, with Omochao being surprised he's got Wisps helping him too. He himself seems to have a special spite towards Knuckles and Shadow, as well as taking issue with Rouge's faux flirtiness. Though he seems to like Amy, oddly enough.

15 minutes ago, knuckles20 said:

There’s also a chance that one of the stories of this year’s annual will on how she made it to the Eggman’s faceship, giving her an opportunity to be the main focus for once. Whereas last year’s did had a story featuring her but the majority of it came off from Rough and Tumble’s point of view instead.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the annual. Did she have a story listed in the solicit?

I 'll have to look back through tsr, i swear he talks to eggman like twice then vanishes, but i'm wrong i guess

1 minute ago, Shadowlax said:

I 'll have to look back through tsr, i swear he talks to eggman like twice then vanishes, but i'm wrong i guess

He pops in four or five times with Eggman, but then is just sort of the background. He isn't even directly brought up to race the heroes in a cutscenes. But yeah,he literally vanishes in the ending.

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about the annual. Did she have a story listed in the solicit?

I can't find anything regarding who be the focus. But given the solicits states that the six stories included would be based on the ongoing Metal Virus, it's just speculation on my part. It also wouldn't surprise if the other stories were about Tangle's encounter with the infected Jewel and the revelation of how Big the Cat got hit with the virus. 

7 minutes ago, knuckles20 said:

I can't find anything regarding who be the focus. But given the solicits states that the six stories included would be based on the ongoing Metal Virus, it's just speculation on my part. It also wouldn't surprise if the other stories were about Tangle's encounter with the infected Jewel and the revelation of how Big the Cat got hit with the virus. 

We at least know Big is supposed to be in there, so you are correct. Plus, I don't know who else they could focus on now that the Bad Guys Miniseries is greenlit.

Don't know if this is official so I'll keep it under spoilers for now, but...

Spoiler

A really sweet A cover for a change!

It's going to be a very long time before we see the end of the Metal virus saga! This Coronavirus could be around until 2021!