Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

19 minutes ago, The Famous Sonic said:

It's going to be a very long time before we see the end of the Metal virus saga! This Coronavirus could be around until 2021!

I feel like if the corona virus situation is that intrusive where it takes a year plus to finish this storyline. The story might just be dropped

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

I feel like if the corona virus situation is that intrusive where it takes a year plus to finish this storyline. The story might just be dropped

You mean even though issues are ready, written, drawn, almost finished. Nah. Besides the actual virus ends in 2 issues.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Jack at Home said:

You mean even though issues are ready, written, drawn, almost finished. Nah. Besides the actual virus ends in 2 issues.

Yes. If the situation gets severe enough where they cant release the end stuff for like a year and some change. I can totally see them dropping it. There are entire video games made and then unreleased because companies arent confident in them.

To compare this to another type of situation. There have been video games, books and television shows that have been canceled because the subject matter was to close to traumatic subject matter relevant to the public conciousness in certain areas of the world. A global pandemic is effecting everyone and can see people in charge just kind of going "shut it down" not wanting their brand associated with that during a time of panic and uncertainty.

So yeah theres a chance they just drop it

Be mindful I'm describing an extreme scenario where it takes a very long time to release. Or something horrifying-er happens because of the virus. Otherwise these should come out. But outright cancellation of finished or near finished products is not unfounded and frankly commonplace

I still doubt it, because it ends in 2 issues. I don't see the point of retconning over 20 issues of main storyline if it's almost over. Unless they retcon the entire existance of the Metal Virus saga, cancel it from the IDW timeline, remove their entire voumes and issues so people can't buy them, forget they exist, and lose a lot of money anyway.

They are still gonna lose money though, that's for sure. I'm not sure. That would mean the end of IDW comics... so it would end with Shadow and a bunch of characters dying... yeah, it'd be the darkest timeline, we are living it already.

Why is coronoavirus halting the comic's production? Each function is done individually and remote — writing, art, color, lettering. You'd think comics would be pretty immune to shutdowns. 

Like, I can see why shipping the physical books would not be possible with the shutdowns, but couldn't they simply publish digital exclusives until physical production is possible again?

13 minutes ago, Jack at Home said:

I still doubt it, because it ends in 2 issues. I don't see the point of retconning over 20 issues of main storyline if it's almost over. Unless they retcon the entire existance of the Metal Virus saga, cancel it from the IDW timeline, remove their entire voumes and issues so people can't buy them, forget they exist, and lose a lot of money anyway.

They are still gonna lose money though, that's for sure. I'm not sure. That would mean the end of IDW comics... so it would end with Shadow and a bunch of characters dying... yeah, it'd be the darkest timeline, we are living it already.

You would be suprised the amount of work put into projects canceled unfinished for  prettier reasons. My favorite being "new executive didn't make thing,  cancel everything for my vision". A global pandemic inhibiting work flow where it takes a very long time to get two issues to finish a story about a global pandemic. Seems pretty reasonable. Especially at the end, you could even just do a quick "everything got better" and just move on.

Again extreme ass scenario. It's just not unfounded.

8 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

Don't know if this is official so I'll keep it under spoilers for now, but...

Reveal hidden contents

A really sweet A cover for a change!

What exactly are we looking at?

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

What exactly are we looking at?

Spoiler

Supposedly Cover A for issue 30. Wasn't sure if it was legit or not, hence the spoiler. But it's just an embedded tweet. May not have loaded for you though, I have that problem all the time. So here's a straight link - https://twitter.com/IDWSonicNews/status/1252815972529930243

2 hours ago, Moose the Cat said:

Why is coronoavirus halting the comic's production? Each function is done individually and remote — writing, art, color, lettering. You'd think comics would be pretty immune to shutdowns. 

Like, I can see why shipping the physical books would not be possible with the shutdowns, but couldn't they simply publish digital exclusives until physical production is possible again?

Because Digital Sales aren't the same as physical sales. Unfortunately physical sales count more to a books success and if a book can't be shipped and comic shops aren't open because they're a non-essential business than they won't see any profit.

Granted that's just my understanding I could be way off. I know DC is planning to work with a different distributer than Diamond (Who have kind of a stranglehold on the comics market) so who know? 

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

Don't know if this is official so I'll keep it under spoilers for now, but...

Hide contents

A really sweet A cover for a change!

That's a pretty cool cov-WAIT A FUCKING SECOND THAT POSE.

MV5BNTA2YTIzZmUtMDk3My00YmE4LTg3MzctNDVi

• Chuckle 4

2 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:
  Hide contents

Supposedly Cover A for issue 30. Wasn't sure if it was legit or not, hence the spoiler. But it's just an embedded tweet. May not have loaded for you though, I have that problem all the time. So here's a straight link - https://twitter.com/IDWSonicNews/status/1252815972529930243

Oh, I can see. I just not exactly sure what is happening there.

33 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

That's a pretty cool cov-WAIT A FUCKING SECOND THAT POSE.

MV5BNTA2YTIzZmUtMDk3My00YmE4LTg3MzctNDVi

Oh, of course.

Well then I hope that scenario doesn't happen, this saga is awesome, I want to see the conclusion, it would just be a fuck you for so many fans who loved it, besides IDW losing the comic and money, if anything it could get more relevant due to the real life virus... but no, although I want to see how it ends, I want to move on from the arc soon too.

52 minutes ago, Iko said:

Japanese Kirby fans know that feel:

Hide contents

ClmMvfnVYAAZoWU.jpg.fd950dd44b8b7dbea836931261a88861.jpgClmWvkaXIAEhs9z.jpg.d8957e52a9a3cfa3c5a9e3ae8a092a8e.jpg

That' smessed up because his copy ability was really good for the guantlet mode they had in that game. You get a shield that blocks everything and reflects stuff.

ABT tweeted some clean versions of that cover:

• Thumbs Up 3

Jeez now I see why they put the Sega logo over Big’s face. Those are the buggiest eyes I’ve ever seen.

• Thumbs Up 1

I fully admit it might be for the sake of the cover, but is it me, or 

Spoiler

does Sonic look like he's in Super form? I wonder if something happens to him due to the Warp Topaz.

14 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Hide contents

does Sonic look like he's in Super form? I wonder if something happens to him due to the Warp Topaz.

Spoiler

He does look like a giant Warp Star.

2 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Reveal hidden contents

My guess.

Spoiler

Is the power of the Warp Topaz actually traps Sonic between dimensions. I feel the fact he hasn't been clear on most on the covers and the #33 description didn't really even mention that leads to the possibility that Sonic is lost.

If that’s the case...

the Warp Topaz might be the main saving throw for any fumbles on behalf of the narrative and setting. No telling what crazy things it might be allowed to pull, but it being that powerful would allow it to get away with all sort of things in the event things might seem foul.

Provided they don’t overuse it. But this is the one team I can trust when it comes to writing.

17 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Who is that?

Simirror, an enemy/helper who gives Kirby the Mirror copy ability. He's not a big character, but the fact that they put the CERO logo on his face made him a meme in the Japanese Kirby community. Now imagine if SEGA-face Big became a similar meme... though he's already enough of a meme on on his own, he doesn't need that.

15 hours ago, DabigRG said:
  Hide contents

He does look like a giant Warp Star.

Ok I admit I was not expecting another unrelated Kirby-related post in this discussion lol.

EDIT:

Spoiler

On a side note, why does Vanilla look badass in that cover? She looks almost like Rouge, weird.

11 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

If that’s the case...

Hide contents

the Warp Topaz might be the main saving throw for any fumbles on behalf of the narrative and setting. No telling what crazy things it might be allowed to pull, but it being that powerful would allow it to get away with all sort of things in the event things might seem foul.

Provided they don’t overuse it. But this is the one team I can trust when it comes to writing.

100% agree, it's their pocket plot device, to create new interesting possibilities.

Anyway, about a certain potential ship:

Okay. But still, Evan Stanley is planning something... it's up to SEGA.

I curious to know in general what they have been involved in. Involving the original characters in the past actually