Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

1 minute ago, Shaddy the guy said:

I mean, I'd love to see a modernization of the manga backstory for Sonic, being a wimpy nerd who became a superpowered nerd.

Plus, Sonic's real name being "Nicky" was cute to me, like he just took the nic from that name and added Son to it to make it sound cool.

Are there any translations for the manga?

Just now, RedFox99 said:

Are there any translations for the manga?

...somewhere, yeah. Problem is, it's either in youtube videos from seven years ago where the creator never uploaded their scanlations, or just straight-up untranslated scans. SonicSCANF breifly had a bunch of this stuff, but a while back they decided to stop hosting the Archie and Fleetway comics.

You may read that and think "but those aren't even related to the manga", and you're right. I have no idea why they haven't put those back up after nearly a year of inactivity, it's bullshit.

3 minutes ago, ShroomZed said:

Don't do it. Sonic shouldn't know or care where his parents are since it doesn't even come across his mind. 

Kind of a circular argument, no? Sonic doesn't think about his family because they were never written, yet that should also be the reason they shouldn't be created? Should anything Sonic doesn't think of not be a part of the story?

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

Just now, Shaddy the guy said:

Kind of a circular argument, no? Sonic doesn't think about his family because they were never written, yet that should also be the reason they shouldn't be created? Should anything Sonic doesn't think of not be a part of the story?

What's the point of showing them honestly? Sonic probably doesn't even remember their existence, so are we just going to show them sitting around with their thumbs up their arses in some side story that has nothing to do with anything? I mean it's not wrong to do I guess but it sounds like a waste of time. 

Plus I think it would ruin a bit of the simplicity of Sonic's story. I mean isn't it enough that we just know he must have had parents to exist, and he probably left them at a young age or something? 

If they did give Sonic parents it would be pretty funny if it turns out they're the very overprotective type that worry about him incessantly (think Chi-chi from Dragon Ball I guess just without being complete assholes). It would be a good foil to Sonic and would probably be a good way to explain why he's so adamant about staying on the move and not being constrained by responsibility to others.

Personally, I hope they don't show any of Sonic's family. One of the aspects of Sonic as a character I find interesting is that we know absolutely nothing about his history pre-Sonic 1 and barely anything about his personal life other than he appears to be a nomad and his favorite food is chili-dogs. Sonic is in my eyes the personification of speed and freedom and they way he uses his philosophy and morals to adventuring is something I'd find way more engaging than him introducing us or his friends to his parents or something similar.

However I wouldn't be against them showing the families of the rest of the cast. I'd be very interested in seeing how Knuckles inherited his position as guardian of the Master Emerald when he's been said to be the only remaining echidna from his clan and has spent basically all of his life alone guarding it.

I'm fine with parents if they're, say, visiting/being visited. But as live-in, ever-present entities within the characters' daily lives (with the exception of Cream)?

Nah, don't need that. I like what Ian did with them, mind, but I'm in no rush to get back to that.

Oh, I guess Sally is something of an exception -- though you'll note we only saw King Acorn very sparingly throughout the entire Shattered World arc.

But something like "Christmas with Eggman"? I'm down with that. XD

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 2

1 minute ago, Maxtiis said:

If they did give Sonic parents it would be pretty funny if it turns out they're the very overprotective type that worry about him incessantly (think Chi-chi from Dragon Ball I guess just without being complete assholes). It would be a good foil to Sonic and would probably be a good way to explain why he's so adamant about staying on the move and not being constrained by responsibility to others.

That actually is funny in a bit of a sick way, like his parents have no idea where he is and are worried to madness everyday about him, meanwhile thousands of miles away someone's like "hey Sonic do you have a family?" and Sonic's like "lel I dunno" 

But yeah don't show them, I like the simplicity of not knowing anything of their existence because Sonic doesn't too. And Sonic doesn't much care about it. 

4 minutes ago, ShroomZed said:

What's the point of showing them honestly? Sonic probably doesn't even remember their existence, so are we just going to show them sitting around with their thumbs up their arses in some side story that has nothing to do with anything? I mean it's not wrong to do I guess but it sounds like a waste of time. 

Plus I think it would ruin a bit of the simplicity of Sonic's story. I mean isn't it enough that we just know he must have had parents to exist, and he probably left them at a young age or something? 

You're thinking pretty small-scale here. Of course we shouldn't introduce them if they're useless, but that's not really what Razule was asking, was it? This comic's already going to have new characters that are as important to it as anyone from the Archie days.

And I think assuming it would "ruin the simplicity" is a bit misguided. It's probably going to keep being a story about Sonic and friends going on adventures and fighting evil. Just because these characters happen to have backstories that aren't incredibly vague doesn't mean it's going to stray from that. Not to bring up One Piece for like the seventieth time in this topic, but every member of the Strawhat crew has decisive motivation and explanation for their personality, but every arc of that series okay not Summit War is still about goofass pirates beating the shit out of people and going on crazy adventures to floating islands and candy kingdoms and ghost ships. Every character okay not Zoro has a family, even if they're only passively mentioned, but it very rarely directly impacts the main course of their journey okay not Sanji.

And as for Sonic himself so-called "not caring". Again, he only doesn't care because nobody wrote the things he would be caring about into the series. Assuming they weren't lousy assholes, Sonic would care about his parents if the creators bothered to give him any.

5 minutes ago, Maxtiis said:

Personally, I hope they don't show any of Sonic's family. One of the aspects of Sonic as a character I find interesting is that we know absolutely nothing about his history pre-Sonic 1 and barely anything about his personal life other than he appears to be a nomad and his favorite food is chili-dogs. Sonic is in my eyes the personification of speed and freedom and they way he uses his philosophy and morals to adventuring is something I'd find way more engaging than him introducing us or his friends to his parents or something similar.

And this is a decent point. If you view Sonic as more of a symbol than a character I guess it does make sense for him to just have no past worth speaking of. I think the idea of "WOOAAAH SONIC'S PARENTS ARE HERE NOOOW" is a dumb idea for the story too, but Sonic having literally no upbringing doesn't work for me either. Ideally, Sonic's childhood fucking sucked, which is why he left, and all we need is some reminder or indication of what it was like.

I'm not saying Sonic's parents need to be active cast members in an ongoing narrative, just that acting like the guy hatched from a cosmic egg as a fifteen year-old wisecracking dork is a crappy setup. Give us some half-page indication that his parents were assholes and he ran away, that's all I'm asking. Hell, it'd be better at explaining why the guy values freedom so much if he has a history of being held down or forced into situations he didn't agree with.

• Thumbs Up 3

42 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

I think it could be interesting as it could give possible insight for their backstories. Now that I think about did we ever see Amy's parents in the comics?

I don't care as long as they aren't annoying.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't know why it's so out there for maybe Sonic to just not care who or where his parents are. I mean yeah it's not written in but is it really in character for Sonic to care? I mean he doesn't remember 99% of the people he runs into every day, why would he remember people who he hasn't seen since he was a very small child most likely? 

5 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

And this is a decent point. If you view Sonic as more of a symbol than a character I guess it does make sense for him to just have no past worth speaking of. I think the idea of "WOOAAAH SONIC'S PARENTS ARE HERE NOOOW" is a dumb idea for the story too, but Sonic having literally no upbringing doesn't work for me either. Ideally, Sonic's childhood fucking sucked, which is why he left, and all we need is some reminder or indication of what it was like.

I'm not saying Sonic's parents need to be active cast members in an ongoing narrative, just that acting like the guy hatched from a cosmic egg as a fifteen year-old wisecracking dork is a crappy setup. Give us some half-page indication that his parents were assholes and he ran away, that's all I'm asking. Hell, it'd be better at explaining why the guy values freedom so much if he has a history of being held down or forced into situations he didn't agree with.

Yeah, I'd be okay with that. Maybe not even his parents but perhaps he had some kind of parental figure that instilled his sense of right and wrong before he eventually set off to go see the world for himself.

Although if Sonic did come from a cosmic egg already a fifteen year old wisecracking dork, that would make for one helluva trip. I'd like to see the art for something like that if it was drawn by a professional artist at least. Actually it reminds me of this old Japanese animation for Mario where he was born from a peach already with a mustache and was raised by two elderly Hammer Bros: https://www.mariowiki.com/Super_Mario_Momotarō

2 minutes ago, ShroomZed said:

I don't know why it's so out there for maybe Sonic to just not care who or where his parents are. I mean yeah it's not written in but is it really in character for Sonic to care? I mean he doesn't remember 99% of the people he runs into every day, why would he remember people who he hasn't seen since he was a very small child most likely? 

We have no idea if he knows who his parents are or not, or anything about his background (besides that he's from Christmas Island, which frankly probably isn't even canon anymore), so that's kind of an assumption..?

For all we know, he visits them every week for Sunday dinner

While I think it would be interesting to finally get to see Christmas Island where he came from, or the origin of his rivalry with Eggman, how they met and their first battle etc, I don't think he or any one outside Cream who already has one, should have parents. 

During Penders run when he created them all, they acted too much like a tethering point for the heroes. Which was a terrible idea. Same reason some people hated the Sky Patrol, or Sonic's house in Boom, they are a point to constantly go back to, where as in the games he is always on the move, always looking for the next adventure, is described as not staying in the same place long. Heck he left his birthplace and home behind and hasn't been back since. Only place he's been described as returning to a lot because he enjoys it is Green Hill on South Island, but even then it's apparently because of the freedom and beauty of the place.

So no I think having parents is a bad idea.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, ShroomZed said:

It's not "so out there", it's just not a necessity to keep true to that part of him if it can serve new or interesting concepts within the story. And people remember lots of things, even if they don't show it or claim to not care about it. If something happened in Sonic's past that made a huge impact on him, he'd remember it whether he wanted to or not. Again, nobody's asking for them to show off a bunch of unremarkable shit here. If it's good material fitting of the series' tone and doesn't contradict the official stuff that everyone hates anyway, why exclude it just for the sake of satiating people that didn't want it to exist in the first place? Wouldn't it be easier to just tell them that the comics are a separate continuity or to pretend they don't exist?

2 minutes ago, Maxtiis said:

Yeah, I'd be okay with that. Maybe not even his parents but perhaps he had some kind of parental figure that instilled his sense of right and wrong before he eventually set off to go see the world for himself.

I guess, but whoever that person is would then either need to die or reappear later (to stop people asking "what happened to this person") and I can honestly see both ways being really cliched. I do kinda miss Uncle Chuck, though.

2 minutes ago, Maxtiis said:

Although if Sonic did come from a cosmic egg already a fifteen year old wisecracking dork, that would make for one helluva trip. I'd like to see the art for something like that if it was drawn by a professional artist at least. Actually it reminds me of this old Japanese animation for Mario where he was born from a peach already with a mustache and was raised by two elderly Hammer Bros: https://www.mariowiki.com/Super_Mario_Momotarō

I thought you made a typo. I was all like "What? Peach is Mario's m-" and then nope, the guy literally hatched from a fucking fruit. Amazing.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 2

Personally, I don't think we need to give these characters relatives. Family isn't just the folks you're blood-related to; it's the ones you're closest to and would do anything for. And Sonic and friends have plenty of that with each other. Just like how Post-reboot Uncle Chuck wasn't related to Sonic, yet they shared the same strong bond. 

Sonic Boom put it best:

Spoiler

5a93b120a8e37b9a4f9658ebbad7cded.jpg

"We're your family, Knuckles."

And that's all they need.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Nice Smile 1

38 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

just that acting like the guy hatched from a cosmic egg as a fifteen year-old wisecracking dork is a crappy setup.

To be fair, the Archie mandates made it very clear that's what SEGA wants us to believe

It's practically canon.

No parents=he was not born naturally

Can't have aged=he's always been the same age

And the game series' story is a bunch of bullshit. Has been since the beginning. I mean, that's why I liked the comics, because they were taking the concepts from the game's stories and making them into something respectable.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1

21 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

I thought you made a typo. I was all like "What? Peach is Mario's m-" and then nope, the guy literally hatched from a fucking fruit. Amazing.

Adaptation of Momotarou. Just as Thumbelina was born of a flower, Momotarou was born of a peach.

Also, if we're talking hatching from a cosmic egg, isn't that basically a summary of all versions of Knuckles?

• Nice Smile 1

2 hours ago, Razule said:

What are you guys' thoughts on giving the SEGA characrers parents?

Mixed feelings about it.

One the one hand, I'm definitely not bothered by the idea of them having parents because literally how are they alive if they don't. I'd only really be interested in seeing them show up if there were interesting ideas to be had with one or two present within the story.

Being present within the story also doesn't mean they have to be alive. Rather, it can be an issue that's addressed and done in a way where it's following up on something I'm actually curious about. Like how Tails ended up bullied and alone on Westside Island. Maybe it'd be funny to find out if Sonic's dad was Van Hohenheim or some shit. 

Other than that, leaving it to just Vanilla is fine for me. I certainly don't feel it necessary to be like "Here's Sonic's Mom and Dad. And here's Tails's Mom and Dad. And here's Knuckles's dad. And here's all of Knuckles's extended family. And here's Amy's cousin. And here's Espio's Mom and his entire family and Charmy's parents were killed off screen and-"

None of that is necessary I believe.

Not once in over 25 years have I cared or even wondered about Sonic's parents. Or anyone's in this series, really. It's just not something that I consider relevant to the kinds of stories I want to see out of the series.

• Thumbs Up 3

Alright, maybe this is just me, but I'm motherfucking glad Sonic isn't one piece. I don't bloody care about motivations or background events that drive the characters, I just want people who do shit and that's what defines what their characters are, what they do in the present. You take them as they fucking are. It may be shallower than some other things but that's exactly how I like it when it comes to Sonic. I don't need some backstory or motivation to make it "respectable", that actually ironically sounds pretty-narrow minded to me @Shaddy the guy

• Thumbs Up 2

20 minutes ago, Forterror-Metallix said:

Personally, I don't think we need to give these characters relatives. Family isn't just the folks you're blood-related to; it's the ones you're closest to and would do anything for. And Sonic and friends have plenty of that with each other. Just like how Post-reboot Uncle Chuck wasn't related to Sonic, yet they shared the same strong bond. 

Sonic Boom put it best:

Hide contents

5a93b120a8e37b9a4f9658ebbad7cded.jpg

"We're your family, Knuckles."

And that's all they need.

To be fair though, it works for boom. The main series however, the only characters that have bonded that way is sonic and tails, and Blaze and cream. No one else has that, so I wouldn't really mind other characters having relatives because as long as they aren't intrusive and not annoying. Then sure I don't care personally. 

You can probably do interesting shit with it if you do it right, I heard an idea about shadow thats pretty cool and actually fills some plot holes in in several games, if you think about it hard enough you can make parents brother sisters ects work

However , I don't think you are getting sonic's parents. Last time they tried to give sonic a past, in the planning stages of what was to by Sonic Synergy now Sonic boom rise of lyric, sega specifically stated that they themselves would give sonic a back story, no one else, and this was a different universe. I got a feeling they maybe wanted to change shadow's backstory too, but sega also said no, and they were just stuck with a character they couldn't change or define. '

So I think when sega is ready to that, they will do it. They will probably make a big thing for some game " discovers sonic's history" or some dumb shit

18 minutes ago, ShroomZed said:

Alright, maybe this is just me, but I'm motherfucking glad Sonic isn't one piece. I don't bloody care about motivations or background events that drive the characters, I just want people who do shit and that's what defines what their characters are, what they do in the present. You take them as they fucking are. It may be shallower than some other things but that's exactly how I like it when it comes to Sonic. I don't need some backstory or motivation to make it "respectable:, that actually ironically sounds pretty-narrow minded to me @Shaddy the guy

Okay well first of all can you calm the fuck down? Second, I don't think I said that anyone needed a backstory for the characters to make a story respectable. I don't even know where you got that from, other than the fact that I said I personally wanted it. Thirdly, it doesn't actually hurt to include a little context to what a character's motivation is. It's not a massive backstory saga, just something small that acknowledges the people who want it. Something you could willfully ignore if you wanted to. Fourth, a long-form comic like what Archie became would better serve the Sonic series if the main character's journey is self-motivated, and typically a character's motivation typically deserves some sort of context. Asking for something huge and asking for something to not be completely ignored are very different requests. And finally, none of this having a presence would detract from characters doing shit. Again, you'd get a half-page flashback and a couple dialogue boxes at most. If Sonic is cool, why would knowing why he's cool make him less cool? If anything, it'd enhance it.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

11 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

Okay well first of all can you calm the fuck down? Second, I don't think I said that anyone needed a backstory for the characters to make a story respectable. I don't even know where you got that from, other than the fact that I said I personally wanted it. Thirdly, it doesn't actually hurt to include a little context to what a character's motivation is. It's not a massive backstory saga, just something small that acknowledges the people who want it. Something you could willfully ignore if you wanted to. Fourth, a long-form comic like what Archie became would better serve the Sonic series if the main character's journey is self-motivated, and typically a character's motivation typically deserves some sort of context. Asking for something huge and asking for something to not be completely ignored are very different requests. And finally, none of this having a presence would detract from characters doing shit. Again, you'd get a half-page flashback and a couple dialogue boxes at most. If Sonic is cool, why would knowing why he's cool make him less cool? If anything, it'd enhance it.

Also, a comic book is way different from a game, so the personalities and things that work in the games might not work in the comic. It can samey if we don't have motivations and stuff. The Sonic comic is there to tell STORIES, which isn't big in the games, at least, that is good. (BTW, I'm agreeing with you, just adding to your argument.)

• Thumbs Up 1

So what are these massive differences a comic book contains that makes it so they can't have stories without backstories and motivations? 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

Backstories I could do without (e: for Sonic and similar characters, at least, I'm not throwing out the concept entirely), but I think it's awfully hard to tell a decent story without the characters having motivations.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1