Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

I was reading this one translation of a Japanese fan translator who went into a bit of detail about how the book was translated. Even though I was reading a bad twitter translation, the idea seemed to be that they thought the translation was pretty in line, but restricted by the speech bubble and "other restrictions". @Polkadi~☆ I dunno if you could give one of your translations again, just because I'd like a better understanding of how they read SEGA's involvement in the translation.

28 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

I was reading this one translation of a Japanese fan translator who went into a bit of detail about how the book was translated. Even though I was reading a bad twitter translation, the idea seemed to be that they thought the translation was pretty in line, but restricted by the speech bubble and "other restrictions". @Polkadi~☆ I dunno if you could give one of your translations again, just because I'd like a better understanding of how they read SEGA's involvement in the translation.

Wasn't asked, but here's a rough translation:

• "I compared it to my own translation as I read. Despite multiple restrictions (size of speech bubble, original nuance, Sega’s supervision), the lines were translated naturally and cohesively. Made me realize how good/different the professionals are. Which makes me very happy when I have the same translation as them (laugh).
  • Personally, the lines in Japanese were as I imagined, including the comic original characters. Seeing the dialogues feel like the characters themselves, I can’t thank enough all the people that were involved, given the multiple restrictions as mentioned earlier.
  • With this, I can’t wait to see how Whisper and Starlines’ speech will be! Also, Tangle is more reserved in her introduction episode and will have a more relaxed/friendly impression when she appears again, so I’m looking forward to that too!"
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Weird. You'd think speech bubbles wouldn't be so much of a problem for Japan, considering they can write more in a character than we can with one.

Volume 8 trade popped up on Amazon. Titled Out of the Blue, dated for February 9th, and includes issues 30 through 32, plus the 2020 Annual!

Always fantastic seeing the Annuals collected in trades and glad to see IDW continue to do so for Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, KoDaiko said:

Wasn't asked, but here's a rough translation:

• "I compared it to my own translation as I read. Despite multiple restrictions (size of speech bubble, original nuance, Sega’s supervision), the lines were translated naturally and cohesively. Made me realize how good/different the professionals are. Which makes me very happy when I have the same translation as them (laugh).
  • Personally, the lines in Japanese were as I imagined, including the comic original characters. Seeing the dialogues feel like the characters themselves, I can’t thank enough all the people that were involved, given the multiple restrictions as mentioned earlier.
  • With this, I can’t wait to see how Whisper and Starlines’ speech will be! Also, Tangle is more reserved in her introduction episode and will have a more relaxed/friendly impression when she appears again, so I’m looking forward to that too!"

Well, that's cool. It sounds like SEGA invested real effort to make sure that the translation is as good as possible to Japanese, which to me at least is a good indication of at least what SoJ's attitude to the comic might be. 

Honestly stuff like this is interesting, because it's like... I feel like we never get to hear about the Japanese fanbase's perspective on things. Especially when it comes to all the weird offshoots we tend to have in throughout the West.

1 hour ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Well, that's cool. It sounds like SEGA invested real effort to make sure that the translation is as good as possible to Japanese, which to me at least is a good indication of at least what SoJ's attitude to the comic might be. 

Honestly stuff like this is interesting, because it's like... I feel like we never get to hear about the Japanese fanbase's perspective on things. Especially when it comes to all the weird offshoots we tend to have in throughout the West.

It must be a little weird I imagine. A Japanese franchise, run by a Japanese company, with games usually made by Japanese developers, but with the West often being put first. I mean, I know why that is, but I would imagine if you are a Japanese fan, it must get a bit frustrating. Especially when IDW Sonic is basically the only Sonic thing going on right now and it is only now reaching Japan, with it perhaps being over a year behind release. Will be interesting to see how quickly they release the next volumes, or if Japan is just going to wind up staying 30 issues behind the West.

I'm interested too as well, especially when it comes to the likes of Tangle and Whisper. Would be good if they become popular on their side of the pond, maybe it would increase the odds of them making into a Sonic game. (By like 0.001% but sure.)

I wonder if some stuff is just different?

Remember in sonic boom ROL where they added lines and context that didn't exist in other versions of the game. Wonder if there is stuff that is just differnt

12 hours ago, Disk Warrior CC14 said:

Volume 8 trade popped up on Amazon. Titled Out of the Blue, dated for February 9th, and includes issues 30 through 32, plus the 2020 Annual!

Always fantastic seeing the Annuals collected in trades and glad to see IDW continue to do so for Sonic.

Not surprised it'll be in this volume since it'll collect all the post-Metal Virus stuff and the 2020 Annual is all short stories about other characters during that time.

This post gives us a deeper dive into the Japanese translation, and it even shows us that IDW actually changed some of the speech bubbles for the new translation.

• Thumbs Up 3

Japanese Sonic still sprinkles English words into his dialogue like Junichi Kanemaru. Love it.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Promotion 1

Catching up on Bumblekast 114 and 115 with info from Metal Ian:

The Chaos Emeralds hop between worlds/locations constantly, the Sol Emeralds are comparitively stationary umless physically moved, and the Power of the Stars is what controls the balance between those two dimensions.

The Deadly Six are fine being relatively close to the Zombots because the Metal Virus requires direct contact to spread and if they tap into the Chaos Emeralds, they can use their abilities to manipulate the Virus so it doesn't infect them.

SEGA asked, on addition to their specific direction on Gemerl and whatever they're doing with Shadow, that Amy's open affection be toned down a bit.

The bushy eyebrowed Mobian in Tangles hometown is not a reference to Elias that he's aware of.

The Mobians don't show certain parts because it's a cartoon.

More coming...

The Sonic series would need more consistency to begin to be deconstructed ala Neon Genesis Evangelion and Puella Magi Madoka Magicka, which were referencing entire genres.

IDW is fine with LGBT representation, but it would depend if SEGA wants a particular character in the book. Additionally, since cartoon character may be very different if brought back, New252Sally's intended bisexuality is uncertain.

He's open to editorial work regarding scripts and original ideas on Yahoo.

Mephiles is dead. Additionally, the one in the No Zone is an alternate zone version added by Tracey Yardley!

With his luck, Blaze's world could be name Mobius and Sonic's could end up being something else. They seem to have an aversion to naming planets outside of Wisp and Dopan.

The Another Time Another Place stories and any other game adaptations were effectively alternate universes of their own unless stated otherwise.

Silver traveling linearly doesn't really make sense, but it's better not to think about it. He's tried and it caused pain.

Alternate versions of Sonic that exist beyond Classic are unlikely be be used.

There will be stories in new areas of Sonic's World.

If Tangle, Jewel, and Whisper formed a team, they would be Speed for agility on too of brawling, Flight due to being designed ad a Tails, and Power through the Variable Wispon's impactful damage. Tangle would name them Team Awesome Friends being Awesome together, though the others wouldn't be keen.

There's a mandate against Metal talking when not Neo, sticking in spite of counters of times he's talked before.

The Zone Cops most likely won't return.

Crossovers with characters like Superman and Flash would depend on which incarnation and/or if a DCU writer is on board.

Sonic's second favorite food is antacids.

Amy isn't meant to be channeling Sally while running the Resistance or Restoration, which the latter would've handled far better due to experience. She's been floundering, but also been encouraging and supportive towards everyone while feeling some of the strain herself.

If Megaman 7 had happened in the comic, the English version complete with the wonky translation would probably have been followed since Rock being fed up with Wily's actions before glitching and locking up under the law of robotics is a neat idea.

Things like Zavok becoming a former leader, in addition to not coming up during the pitch, is not being for the time being since they are being encouraged not to follow the games.

Roger Craig Smith is a favorite due to the consistent attitude he's given thus far.

• Thumbs Up 2

43 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

SEGA asked, on addition to their specific direction on Gemerl and whatever they're doing with Shadow, that Amy's open affection be toned down a bit.

I for one welcome Sega's insistence on giving Amy characteristics beyond "Likes Sonic" and "Is incredibly violent".

44 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

The Mobians don't show certain parts because it's a cartoon.

I hate how we apparently have to specify that.

• Thumbs Up 2

I wonder if the Emeralds thing is real and Ian is getting info from SEGA by working closely with them... or is he just making up excuses to SEGA's shitty plotholes to excuse the 2 worlds? I know I know... "Chaos" Emeralds, but still. Seems weird. 

18 minutes ago, Jack at Home said:

I wonder if the Emeralds thing is real and Ian is getting info from SEGA by working closely with them... or is he just making up excuses to SEGA's shitty plotholes to excuse the 2 worlds? I know I know... "Chaos" Emeralds, but still. Seems weird. 

20 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I hate how we apparently have to specify that.

He's going by what's shown in the games to answer a question.

Wait. If Sega encourages them to be a different universe and not follow the games directly, I wish they would give them more freedom, things like Sticks and cartoon characters, lore and mithology, no plotholes, planet names, Shadow acting like a person, more development in general, Silver's time travel explained. It's little things but they would make the book even more perfect.

24 minutes ago, Jack at Home said:

Wait. If Sega encourages them to be a different universe and not follow the games directly, I wish they would give them more freedom, things like Sticks and cartoon characters, lore and mithology, no plotholes, planet names, Shadow acting like a person, more development in general, Silver's time travel explained. It's little things but they would make the book even more perfect.

It's a different universe that still represents the characters from the games, with a tighter more vigilant watch than ever.

It may also worth noting that he cited Boom and SatAM when talking about alternate universe ideas that are unlikely.

And honestly, stuff like Silver and other planets haven't really been relevant.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm listening to the podcasts too... apparently Marine got rejected too for a pitch. What the... I thought they were okay with letting IDW use her since she appeared in issue 24's cover. I really don't get SEGA.

So it's not just Sticks, huh? No idea what's up here, if they are off limits forever, what the reason is, apparently Ian has no clue either, lol. Just... WHAT. He thinks it's just for now though. For both Sticks and Marine.

Also he implies saying the pitch for Marine's storyline would spoil a future storyline, maybe we are going to Blaze's World (whatever the name is now).

@Polkadi~☆ or @KoDaiko Could one of you guys translate the panel which changed the speech bubble, and maybe provide some insight as to why the translator would shrink it down? Is the phrase just that simple that it would take up too little space?

8 minutes ago, Jack at Home said:

I'm listening to the podcasts too... apparently Marine got rejected too for a pitch. What the... I thought they were okay with letting IDW use her since she appeared in issue 24's cover. I really don't get SEGA.

So it's not just Sticks, huh? No idea what's up here, if they are off limits forever, what the reason is, apparently Ian has no clue either, lol. Just... WHAT. He thinks it's just for now though. For both Sticks and Marine.

Also he implies saying the pitch for Marine's storyline would spoil a future storyline, maybe we are going to Blaze's World (whatever the name is now).

Sounds like an older episode, but yeah, he tried to sneak at least a nod in to her.

Sticks is definitely a case of SonicTeam just not being down for a particular pitch being turned down involving certain characters. 

The Hooligans, and Mighty and Ray were also things he understood as okay to eventually use early, but they've since been turned down due to the Classic segregation andorll whatever the deciding factor is that day.

9 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Sounds like an older episode, but yeah, he tried to sneak at least a nod in to her.

Sticks is definitely a case of SonicTeam just not being down for a particular pitch being turned down involving certain characters. 

The Hooligans, and Mighty and Ray were also things he understood as okay to eventually use early, but they've since been turned down due to the Classic segregation andorll whatever the deciding factor is that day.

I have my reservations on this, because on one hand, they want to forget about Boom, and Sticks is nowhere to be seen in the games right now. Maybe she's just forgotten into a "very minor role" now?

Or, she's off-limits and dead, Ian Flynn doesn't think it's the case.

Then Sonic Olympics mobile happens and Sticks is one of the stock names in it. Don't give me hope...

I just assumed last year that she would appear in the Zombot apocalypse because that would have made a lot of sense. That's why I assumed later she is off-limits, because her best chance for a plot got turned down.

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

He's going by what's shown in the games to answer a question.

No I mean I hate we have to specify why we don't see Sonic's bits when he's running around like it's not obvious that it's because this is a cartoon franchise for children. 

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Jack at Home said:

I just assumed last year that she would appear in the Zombot apocalypse because that would have made a lot of sense. That's why I assumed later she is off-limits, because her best chance for a plot got turned down.

If anything, Sticks would have saw it coming from a mile away and was already prepared and is going into full survival mode offscreen somewhere.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

@Polkadi~☆ or @KoDaiko Could one of you guys translate the panel which changed the speech bubble, and maybe provide some insight as to why the translator would shrink it down? Is the phrase just that simple that it would take up too little space?

Whoops, I didn't know there were more images on that instagram link.  You're talking about the Sonic & Tails one right?

551832597_thisone.png.848e2e5e5615c6bd1ea9ce145f01a4d1.png

ENG:
Sonic: "Seriously though, thanks for the save."
Tails: "My pleasure!"

JP:
Sonic: "Thanks (for the save) Tails!"
Tails: "You're welcome!"

...I'm guessing the text was shortened to match the characters. Sonic isn't that wordy and usually keeps it brief. Tails' line is pretty much the same in both language, but the speech bubble is longer because どういたしまして is one word.

The Japanese text looks slightly bigger (unless my eyes are tricking me) and the leading is wider, most likely for legibility. Also Japanese may be able to write more with fewer characters (using kanji), but they also want to keep the nuance and meaning accurate to the original. 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Almost a direct translation, so yes, it’s just that simple that it would take up too little space.

Even though it’s a pretty direct translation, it’s a little weird to translate back without turning it exactly into the original dialogue. Only thing is that Sonic doesn’t mention anything about "on a serious note" in the translation.

• Promotion 1

19 minutes ago, Polkadi~☆ said:

Almost a direct translation, so yes, it’s just that simple that it would take up too little space.

Even though it’s a pretty direct translation, it’s a little weird to translate back without turning it exactly into the original dialogue. Only thing is that Sonic doesn’t mention anything about "on a serious note" in the translation.

Yeah, it was more of my personal interpretation.

There are multiple ways to say you're welcome in Japanese too, just like English (no problem, happy to help, my pleasure, anytime, etc.). While all can be translated as the same thing, the default for どういたしまして=you're welcome.   JP Tails feels like the type who says "you're welcome" rather than "my pleasure".

I may have mixed up "my pleasure" & "with pleasure" (喜んで) too.

• Promotion 1