Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

I'm learning very interesting tidbits about Japanese today. Hoping you guys can get these copies eventually and provide us more of these little tidbits. They're back on Amazon JP now.

• Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

I'm learning very interesting tidbits about Japanese today. Hoping you guys can get these copies eventually and provide us more of these little tidbits. They're back on Amazon JP now.

Only problem is they’re unable to ship to certain locations.

50 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Hmmmm I'll def. look into it...sucks that it doesn't want to ship to here, and even if I use a buying service the virus is messing with the shipping cost/time.

Hopefully one day.

2 hours ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Hey, I'm learning little tidbits too. My Japanese is very basic and elementary level, and I only really know how to speak politely. While I know casual form when I see it, I struggle understanding it as I'm still very new to speaking casual Japanese.

There's a shop in my country that sells the book, as I'm sure I said a few pages back, but it's ridiculously expensive. I'd have to find another way.

IDW put out a press release for their revised direct market schedule for the rest of the Summer.

Sonic-relevant dates:

May 27: Tangle & Whisper Trade

June 24th: StH #28 and StH V6: The Last Minute

July 8th: 2020 Annual

July 22nd: StH #29

August 5th: StH #30

August 12th: StH Volume 1 Spanish Edition

August 19th: StH #31

• Thumbs Up 2

We got ourselves another small glimpse at the Japanese version in the 2020 Livestream earlier today. If the pattern has been as usual, the translation should be pretty straightforward.

As the comics are delayed I think I'm gonna have a re-read of them all. 

14 hours ago, Eurisko said:

As the comics are delayed I think I'm gonna have a re-read of them all. 

Yeah I’ll be doing that a few days before the next issue releases. I was really into it at the last issue but I’ve fallen out of the story momentum since the delays.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/26/2020 at 3:16 PM, Superstar Introvert CC14 said:

IDW put out a press release for their revised direct market schedule for the rest of the Summer.

Sonic-relevant dates:

May 27: Tangle & Whisper Trade

June 24th: StH #28 and StH V6: The Last Minute

July 8th: 2020 Annual

July 22nd: StH #29

August 5th: StH #30

August 12th: StH Volume 1 Spanish Edition

August 19th: StH #31

FYI, issue #32 is due on September 2nd. So the Metal Virus saga is set to end at the end of Summer.

Since there's quite of bit of discussion on Amy(again) going on at the moment, I thought I'd bring some of here

16 hours ago, E-122-Psi said:

I think the thing about Amy however is that she was an 'everygirl' originally, not in personality, but in role. She was the normal one most in touch with the public world. This is why Team Rose fit together I suppose since they were all characters who had simple lives and joined the heroic actions for character motivated reasons, not to be part of the unit. That's where she is meant to be different from Sally in a key way since Sally is the opposite, being royalty and very formal and professional, though succumbing to personal emotions when faced with very pragmatic decisions. Amy doesn't even have that weakness right now. She just does not fit the all business routine, she was always a normal little girl that had to force herself into the mix through her own passion.

3 hours ago, Kaotic Kanine said:

Can't believe I never consciously realized that until you brought it up 😅 But this is definitely my biggest contention with IDW!Amy, in addition to the lack of her hyperactive and bubbly behavior. Amy is supposed to be a girl who lived a mundane life and, out of boredom and wanting to be alongside her beloved Sonic, tries to transition herself into a life of adventure. She's better suited as a recurring character (albeit a main or major one) having adventures of her own on the side and doing small-scale heroics so as to eventually catch up with Sonic in that regard (but of course still not hesitating to tag along with Sonic if she could). If she has to lead a group, which is a solid development for her, it has to be a small, rag-tag group comprised of individuals with similar background and experience to her (such as a certain young rabbit). Amy being in charge of a large-scale organization/army and leading it like a highly organized tactician... Is jarring. 

I still think Amy can still be essential to the Resistance/Restoration without abandoning her passion, namely by being a front-line fighter and keeping morale high with her spirited charm. Not by being a planner, which was never her forte. Rouge, having been established since the beginning as a government agent and high-class thief, is better suited as a planner (albeit maybe not commanding masses, but still). 

But fair enough about the situations forcing Amy to adapt for the sake of it. I suppose I'll withhold further criticisms until the Metal Virus Saga is well and truly over, and then see how Amy is characterized when she's not forced to lead the Resistance/Restoration. 

3 hours ago, E-122-Psi said:

Again this is why I'm not big on nearly all the comics enforcing this 'resistance group' approach where pretty much everyone HAS to band together into a professional unit. It kinda puts everyone on automation and downplays the potential for more character driven adventures and plot pivots.

SatAm and the earlier Archie issues kinda made it work for the most part because this unit was a rag tag group themselves and there felt like a lot of times they were kinda working against their own impulses and inexperience to maintain a professional regiment about it (even Sally had a couple odd  delusions of grandeur about adventuring like with the Freedom Stormer) but as the Freedom Fighter occupation became more global scale and elaborate, things became tighter and mission driven to a fault.

See this is why I felt we needed both (spoilering this like it still matters for consistency)

Spoiler

a Geoffrey or Nicole type character, ergo one that is contrastingly more cynical/realistic, professional and/or experienced despite still being of comparatively lower rank than Amy

On 9/1/2019 at 2:41 AM, MetalSkulkBane said:

My suggestion: give Amy second-in-command to give face to Restoration. Later that character would take over when we get bored with leader-Amy concept.

On 9/1/2019 at 6:14 PM, DabigRG said:

Ah yes, that's an excellent idea. That could go hand in hand with having another Geoffrey/Hershey even.

(There's a longer post I did somewhere that also developed this a bit, but I'm struggling to find it).

and at least ministories like backups or annual segments featuring the Restoration before things went down with the Virus. It would've given us an idea of both what they were normally doing for the world and offered opportunities for Amy's personality to be spotlighted in tandem so that we have both a reference point and some fleshing out for them interdependently.
I kinda falls back on an underlying aspect of the "No Worldbuilding" criticism people had towards the IDW comic during it's first two years: it's not so much that we needed characters & locations to be introduced to so we have preestablished investment(although that certainly helps and has helped a little in places), but that we needed a status quo & time of decent health for the cast to feel at home at so that when Starline and Eggman cause the Pandemic, both us as veterans and others as objective newcomers would have things that would be compromised and changed because of it.

• We'd have seen an Amy who is like the Ultimate Good Samaratin being a representative of a charitable organization and an encouraging voice for others,
  • We'd have seen a quirky Chaotix who does small time cases with plenty talent & little luck suddenly leading an evacuation where their professionalism about helping the little guy is put to the test,
  • We'd have seen how people like Tails initially acclimate to a world where Eggman is no longer a thing(if we didn't in that one issue anyway).

Among other things.

It also brings to mind how this was supposed to be happening after Issue 300 of the Archie Reboot, which would've had a lot of character establishment, worldbuilding, and other fun asides already having taken place, but that's another matter for another time.

EDIT: While looking through old posts, I came across this factoid again

On 9/22/2019 at 8:01 PM, DabigRG said:

Anyone else remember Starline's supposed accomplices whose debuts got delayed for whatever reason?

On 9/22/2019 at 8:06 PM, DabigRG said:

Anyway, iirc there were supposed to be two other characters who were working with Starline, complete with special game inspired ability between the three of them, that ended up being pushed back because of changes to the plot or story order. 

I bring it up because I literally just remembered them while thinking in the new thread.

So now I'm thinking the Villains Miniseries will involve introducing or maybe even finding them.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, DabigRG said:

So now I'm thinking the Villains Miniseries will involve introducing or maybe even finding them.

Not sure if anyone has asked this yet, but considering that we've seen a good bit of Dr. Starline it seems like it is worth asking. 

What "game inspired" ability could a trio of villains including Starline have in common? (or complementary powers that would make them an obvious team).

Starline's warp topaz doesn't strike me as all too "game inspired"... its comic inspired if anything. Unless you want to count it as a riff on the Chaos Emeralds, and the next two cronies will each have their own unique gemstone of power... 

What goes with Warping? 

1 minute ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Not sure if anyone has asked this yet, but considering that we've seen a good bit of Dr. Starline it seems like it is worth asking. 

What "game inspired" ability could a trio of villains including Starline have in common? (or complementary powers that would make them an obvious team).

Starline's warp topaz doesn't strike me as all too "game inspired"... its comic inspired if anything. Unless you want to count it as a riff on the Chaos Emeralds, and the next two cronies will each have their own unique gemstone of power... 

What goes with Warping? 

I'd been trying to figure that out on and off.

The Warp Topaz obviously allows teleportation when precisely controlled by Starline's glove, while also having the potential to mess with matter or reality itself is not taken care of.  

Perhaps if the Emeralds and other gemstones are indeed a consistent basis to go off of, perhaps the other time can influence Time and Energy.

Maybe the aspects that make up Chaos Control in its various uses?

On 5/28/2020 at 9:25 AM, caitash said:

Yeah I’ll be doing that a few days before the next issue releases. I was really into it at the last issue but I’ve fallen out of the story momentum since the delays.

Agreed , I picked up 27 when it arrived and I was like........ hang on, what happened last time again? I deffo need a re-cap

Guess this aint happening, lol

are_you_unicorn_by_dariattic_d67nhkn-150.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3siaGVpZ2h0IjoiPD02MDAiLCJwYXRoIjoiXC9mXC83NGJkNWEwYi0yZjRmLTQwM2QtYmY3My1iNTgzYmQzM2ZjZTFcL2Q2N25oa24tMjE4YzlkOTgtYmRiZi00YzUyLWFhMTAtNzhkZmI2MDM2NGZmLnBuZyIsIndpZHRoIjoiPD04MDAifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6aW1hZ2Uub3BlcmF0aW9ucyJdfQ.lSU6igUl8B4S9GoAX63BBOZ5zv9Il3YjDSCk-KqbQzU

Still on the Villains Miniseries here, I'm wondering what's gonna be happening with the other Zeti if Zavok is a part of Starline's team.

Scattered to the winds, sick of zavok's leadership the bounce

Now they are effectively roaming boss fights for other characters

• Thumbs Up 1

I really like that idea, especially since we got a taste of them fighting the heroes other than Sonic in this arc and it was pretty neat. I could see Zavok's leadership being questioned depending on what happens next...or the plan not working out period, really.

• Thumbs Up 1

Besides, it will be interesting to see Zavok being part of a different team, one where he isn't a leader. Because I assume Dr. Starline is leading the villains in the mini, he's supposed to be the protagonist. This is why I love villain team ups, they clash and their banter can be very entertaining.

I wonder if Ian would do that to bring Zavok sorta in line with his portrayal in Team Sonic Racing - where he's willingly working with Eggman and the rest of the Deadly Six aren't mentioned. It's not really clear at this time how much Sega intends to use the other five, so I imagine it'd be a sort of opportunity to feel his way around how Sega wants him to portray them - especially given Zavok appears to be sticking around as part of the principal tertiary cast of the games.

18 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Scattered to the winds, sick of zavok's leadership the bounce

Now they are effectively roaming boss fights for other characters

14 hours ago, Celestia said:

I really like that idea, especially since we got a taste of them fighting the heroes other than Sonic in this arc and it was pretty neat. I could see Zavok's leadership being questioned depending on what happens next...or the plan not working out period, really.

Yeah, I could see that. Particularly them turning up on their own terms.

Thing is, I have to wonder what he's in on it for--Rough & Tumble are hotshot ruffians who are simpleminded and Mimic is a literal cut throat out to save his own chromatophores; Zavok at least carries himself as more enlighted than them, so Starline must have a different proposition for him.

13 hours ago, Jack at Home said:

Besides, it will be interesting to see Zavok being part of a different team, one where he isn't a leader. Because I assume Dr. Starline is leading the villains in the mini, he's supposed to be the protagonist. This is why I love villain team ups, they clash and their banter can be very entertaining.

Oh yeah, something the comics have generally stood out for and something I wish the games could go in harder on. Forces in particular had this opportunity right there had it been the actual recurring villains alongside Infinite.

4 hours ago, GentlemanX said:

I wonder if Ian would do that to bring Zavok sorta in line with his portrayal in Team Sonic Racing - where he's willingly working with Eggman and the rest of the Deadly Six aren't mentioned. It's not really clear at this time how much Sega intends to use the other five, so I imagine it'd be a sort of opportunity to feel his way around how Sega wants him to portray them - especially given Zavok appears to be sticking around as part of the principal tertiary cast of the games.

Which the manual further implies to be a weird compromise. I am still curious as to who was behind the final story and whether another hand may have been involved.

Weirder thing is, SEGA said nothing about that when they were giving him guidelines on how they could be portrayed.

But yes, feeling around is good. Especially when most of them are kinda indefinite to begin with.

4 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Yeah, I could see that. Particularly them turning up on their own terms.

Thing is, I have to wonder what he's in on it for--Rough & Tumble are hotshot ruffians who are simpleminded and Mimic is a literal cut throat out to save his own chromatophores; Zavok at least carries himself as more enlighted than them, so Starline must have a different proposition for him.

They are beebop and rocksteady , they will bumble, rumble and tumble and do their thing.

I feel like the no guidelines from SEGA is because they just don't care about status details, lore, continuity, so we have no idea on whether the Deadly Six are still a thing in the games, they are currently in the comics, and since they reflect the games (but not entirely) I assume they are still a team officially... in the comics however that may change after this arc.

I'm not sure what will happen to the rest of the Zeti, but giving Zavok a bit of time with other characters is interesting... we shall see.

Rough and Tumble will be the most pompous, naive and arrogant, I assume, Mimic will try to gain something and kill the rest of the squad, probably, and Starline will overthink the plan and will not be able to keep the villains together. But who knows how it will play out.

9 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

They are beebop and rocksteady , they will bumble, rumble and tumble and do their thing.

you-better-believe-it.jpg 

5 hours ago, Jack at Home said:

I feel like the no guidelines from SEGA is because they just don't care about status details, lore, continuity, so we have no idea on whether the Deadly Six are still a thing in the games, they are currently in the comics, and since they reflect the games (but not entirely) I assume they are still a team officially... in the comics however that may change after this arc.

It's not that there no guidelines-there were quite a few in preparation for their place in this arc, comparable to Knuckles and even Cream iirc. It's that the angle of Zavok no longer being their leader didn't come up at all.

That these comics are apparently not made quite as far ahead as Archie could complicate things, depending on the solicit post in comparison to TSR's release date.

I'm not sure what will happen to the rest of the Zeti, but giving Zavok a bit of time with other characters is interesting... we shall see.

Rough and Tumble will be the most pompous, naive and arrogant, I assume, Mimic will try to gain something and kill the rest of the squad, probably, and Starline will overthink the plan and will not be able to keep the villains together. But who knows how it will play out.

That's villains for ya: usually out for themselves, not so good in working amongst each other.

Hi all, Hope everyone is doing ok.

Just found out that Forbidden Planet was victim to a cyber attack

I get my Sonic Comics from there as I know a few folks do from the UK, I just wanted to give people a heads up on this.

Here's their statement: 

We're really sorry to all our customers for the lack of communication. We've been working round the clock to get back online and we're now in a position to provide an update.

Late last month we were hit with a cyber attack which knocked our systems offline. We immediately engaged with a leading cyber security company to carry out a thorough investigation and ascertained quickly that the risk to our customers is minimal. We also notified the Information Commissioner's Office as per UK legislation.

We do not hold any customer bank details, credit or debit card information on our systems. There is no indication that any of your contact details or passwords have been compromised. However, once we're back online, we'll be asking you all to change your passwords as a precaution.

We're aiming to be fully back online this week as well as have our retail stores open on 15 June. More details on our plans to keep shop staff and customers safe will follow soon.

Thank you for your patience. Our customer service team are working through any queries sent to info@forbiddenplanet.com- please bear with them during this time.