Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Been a long time coming, but #28 preview pages have arrived!

Like the contrast made between Zor and Silver.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1

Some Bumblekast intel from Grandpa Simps--I mean, Mr. Flynn!

• Tribot like most characters are a matter of SEGA being asked and saying yes.
  • The multiverse of the reboot(yes, another one) was mainly things that were separate from Sonic's immediate universe, including Blaze, Megaman, other franchises.
  • The Council of Acorn siding with Naugus was a combination of his emotional manipulation of them as well as their shared fears of recent events necessitating that something be done and one story on the way to 300 was them having to tell Naugus no on a couple of things that he wanted to do for personal reasons. They had inner workings and motivations that were hinted at, but simply couldn't be overtly gone into since they were a political side thing in a Sonic book; they weren't bad guys just because they didn't side with the heroes and were largely formed because Max wasn't a very good king in the longrun, but they had their worse aspects as well as relative notice that caused them to make questionably. 
    • Uncle Chuck was the best statesman due to having the most experience, but most inclined to just trust the Freedom Fighters, even though things are far more complex than their other days. 
    • Hamlin was still bitter about the Substitute Legion fading into disuse and so his rise to power was to regain some authority to make sure things were followed according the rules.
    • Dylan wasn't a good statesmen due to Hamlin's pressuring and in kind tried to encourage him to consider other ways of approaching things.
    • Penelope was a middle of the road, pragmatic swingvote because she didn't have much to her character.
    • Rosemary was anti-monarchy to the point of Elias's presence being a concession she had to deal with and as such, would be undermining Naugus as well. He's aware that people didn't really like how she and Amadeus' turned out, so he hoped getting to see her take something of a stand for her own scruples would've put her in a more favorable light.
    • Rotor was blatantly biased in the Freedom Fighters favor for obvious reasons, despite there being times when thinking more impersonally would be necessary.
    • He honestly doesn't clearly recall putting Isabella on and as such didn't dwell.
    • Naugus was obviously the villain and so the grayer aspects of the other characters would've been showcased had things not gotten so complicated.
  •  The Phantom Ruby create hypothetical create other Phantom Rubies due to creating things that are very close to the original despite that not making a whole lot of sense in some instances.(Eggman apparently used the real one to help conjure Infinite's sun without killing the Resistance and himself the instant he did so, Classic oneshots Chaos Zero) He also obviously feels the Prototypes were very badly explained.
  • Marine's intended involvement is something of a spoiler, but the reason given by SonicTeam was a kinda silly way of saying she's benched for now rather than barred from use. Her resemblance to Sticks probably had nothing to do with it.
  • GUN haven't gotten involved with the Zombot Apocalypse due to being in the human world.
  • The Underground epilogue was to be all him after taking notes from all 40 episodes of it in order to make a satisfying conclusion for those who wanted it. He realizes that those fans would probably want more than a single issue, but that's all he was originally given. Those notes will be in Lost Hedgehog Tales.
  • Miles Prower is indeed a pun on Miles Per Hour; don't be surprised that you're the only one who doesn't get 1990s humor because you're not.
39 minutes ago, Superstar Introvert CC14 said:

Been a long time coming, but #28 preview pages have arrived!

Like the contrast made between Zor and Silver.

Almost didn't see this.

Spoiler

I was gonna ask what the Wisps are holding, but that got answered before i knew it.

Idk why, but I kinda laughed when Zor said he spends a lot of time online. Weird look for his clones, but whatever. 

Funny how Whisper is known as a Guardian Angel when she's a sniper. Looks like they get the Emerald pretty quick, though.

• Thumbs Up 3

Possibly stupid question... with Ian's new job is he done with Sonic on IDW for the foreseeable future aside from small projects? Or this won't affect his Sonic writing? 

1 hour ago, Moose the Cat said:

Possibly stupid question... with Ian's new job is he done with Sonic on IDW for the foreseeable future aside from small projects? Or this won't affect his Sonic writing? 

Probably not, he does a lot of writing, and the books are done months before they release.

11 hours ago, Moose the Cat said:

No. He's said several times that he isn't leaving Sonic and he and Evan are collaborating on the next arc.

19 hours ago, SBR2 said:

No. He's said several times that he isn't leaving Sonic and he and Evan are collaborating on the next arc.

Thank you. I thought that was the case but couldn't find any definitive answer; figured if it hadn't been said that he wasn't leaving. But also wasn't sure if he had been implying he was beginning to transition off of the book. 

I have my theory about Ian's knowing smile that I already said and don't want to repeat. It hasn't changed so far... we may see at SDCC online in July?

2 hours ago, Jack at Home said:

I have my theory about Ian's knowing smile that I already said and don't want to repeat. It hasn't changed so far... we may see at SDCC online in July?

I'm very interested in what that Knowing Smile is about. It could be comic related it could be game related (if Sega does the Sonic birthday party thing again this year) it could not be Sonic related at all. I'm very interested in seeing what it is because the fact he put a picture instead of just the hashtag makes me think it's gonna be big.

Killing characters off via shock value is all this really has...characters being paranoid/cautious 100% through the story and actually making it out wouldn't be good writing. Also no matter how good the timing is for the character to die, it'll never not be done "unexpectedly"...

Though Zombies being a background element that doesn't really mess with the foreground focus would make for the funnies.

On 6/12/2020 at 7:52 PM, DabigRG said:
  • Marine's intended involvement is something of a spoiler, but the reason given by SonicTeam was a kinda silly way of saying she's benched for now rather than barred from use. Her resemblance to Sticks probably had nothing to do with it.

Where did you get the information from? I need a source.

1 hour ago, Styx_Linoone said:

Looks like it's from Bumblekast #115, starting at 1:27:48.

2 hours ago, Styx_Linoone said:

Bumblekast's Animal Crossing Episode. 

The Evan Stanley episode is up next for me, if I'm not mistaken.

1 hour ago, KoDaiko said:

Looks like it's from Bumblekast #115, starting at 1:27:48.

Raising an eyebrow at the person who asked the question saying Marine's been ignored since Sticks showed up.. she's been nonexistence since after her debut game.

2 minutes ago, Razule said:

Raising an eyebrow at the person who asked the question saying Marine's been ignored since Sticks showed up.. she's been nonexistence since after her debut game.

I'd almost assume they're including the comics as well, in which case they aren't aware of the Bunnie Universe Issue.

Cover and Solcits for Sonic#33 and Bad Guys #1

Spoiler

spacer.png

Hold onto your chili dogs, Sonic fans! Long-time artist Evan Stanley takes over as writer with an action-packed, friendship-fueled new arc: "Chao Races and Badnik Bases!" The perfect jumping-on point for new readers! The Metal Virus is gone, but things aren't quite back to normal. Omega is damaged and his allies turn to Tails and Sonic for help. The only way to rebuild him is to trade parts with a mysterious chanpion Chao racer... but things aren't what they seem.

And yes, that cover reminds me of this:

spacer.png

Solcit for Bad Guys #1: The mastermind behind the Metal Virus isn't done yet. Ian Flynn returns to answer: What happened to Dr. Starline?   The Shadowy Scientist is back to his evil antics in Bad Guys! And what better place to concoct nefarious plans than one of Dr. Eggman's abandoned bases? But that is easier said than done when badniks are guarding the entrance! Dr. Starline knows he can't do it alone, so he decides to recruit some familiar and not so friendly faces.

• Thumbs Up 5

Gotta love that Evan's first issue involves "Illegal Chao Racing". It's such a weird idea but I kinda love it.

• Thumbs Up 2

I love that a Champion Chao Racer apparently holds the key to reconstructing a destructive robot. Very interested to see who this champ is.

29 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

It's gonna be Dodon Pa, isn't it? Tying TSR into all this somehow.

Dodon Pa appearing would be interesting but rather as the "Master of Ceremonies" kind of thing rather than a racer.

• Thumbs Up 1

Or a sponsor. (Donpa Motors billboards and banners and such.)

• Thumbs Up 1

I thought this arc had cream in it? Did the description change?

3 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Gotta love that Evan's first issue involves "Illegal Chao Racing". It's such a weird idea but I kinda love it.

I'm curious whats the difference between legal and b illegal in this case

Probably opens with Sonic and Tails and then Cream, Shadow, and Rouge take over afterward.

Yesterday Sonic Revolution 2020 Digital Convention had a short panel with IDW Sonic writers and artists: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/656455815?t=04h43m15s

Usual questions about SEGA's involvement, posibility of Archie characters appearing in IDW and IDW characters appearing in the games were asked and answered with no new information as far as I can tell. Artists gave some drawing tips.

Edit, cause I am not sure if two posts in a row are allowed on this forum:

New BumbleKast in which, amongst other things, Ian Flynn explains what effect Metal Virus would have on Bunnie and confirms SonaDow*: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyPZVb8yftQ

CW for an episode: discussion of mental health issues, mention of suicidal thoughts

*not really