Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

Cover and Solcits for Sonic#33 and Bad Guys #1

Spoiler

spacer.png

Hold onto your chili dogs, Sonic fans! Long-time artist Evan Stanley takes over as writer with an action-packed, friendship-fueled new arc: "Chao Races and Badnik Bases!" The perfect jumping-on point for new readers! The Metal Virus is gone, but things aren't quite back to normal. Omega is damaged and his allies turn to Tails and Sonic for help. The only way to rebuild him is to trade parts with a mysterious chanpion Chao racer... but things aren't what they seem.

And yes, that cover reminds me of this:

spacer.png

Solcit for Bad Guys #1: The mastermind behind the Metal Virus isn't done yet. Ian Flynn returns to answer: What happened to Dr. Starline?   The Shadowy Scientist is back to his evil antics in Bad Guys! And what better place to concoct nefarious plans than one of Dr. Eggman's abandoned bases? But that is easier said than done when badniks are guarding the entrance! Dr. Starline knows he can't do it alone, so he decides to recruit some familiar and not so friendly faces.

I thought this arc had cream in it? Did the description change?

3 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Gotta love that Evan's first issue involves "Illegal Chao Racing". It's such a weird idea but I kinda love it.

I'm curious whats the difference between legal and b illegal in this case

Yesterday Sonic Revolution 2020 Digital Convention had a short panel with IDW Sonic writers and artists: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/656455815?t=04h43m15s

Usual questions about SEGA's involvement, posibility of Archie characters appearing in IDW and IDW characters appearing in the games were asked and answered with no new information as far as I can tell. Artists gave some drawing tips.

Edit, cause I am not sure if two posts in a row are allowed on this forum:

New BumbleKast in which, amongst other things, Ian Flynn explains what effect Metal Virus would have on Bunnie and confirms SonaDow*: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyPZVb8yftQ

CW for an episode: discussion of mental health issues, mention of suicidal thoughts

*not really

Don't know about the rest of you, but I'm really looking forward to issue #28 tomorrow. I've enjoyed the IDW run so much, and it'll be great for it to hopefully be back up and running. Although honestly, I am also slightly keen for this virus arc to wrap up too, and for the book to move on. Excited for the end of the arc, but also excited for how things will journey past it, especially when Evan Stanley gets a stronger influence on things.

3 hours ago, Silvereyes said:

Don't know about the rest of you, but I'm really looking forward to issue #28 tomorrow. I've enjoyed the IDW run so much, and it'll be great for it to hopefully be back up and running. Although honestly, I am also slightly keen for this virus arc to wrap up too, and for the book to move on. Excited for the end of the arc, but also excited for how things will journey past it, especially when Evan Stanley gets a stronger influence on things.

I think everyone including the folks who worked on it, are kind of wanting it to wrap up. Covid extended it a lot farther than it meant to go on. And you get the feeling from Ian that he kind of wants to move on too. I personally get the feeling  that Ian may have run into his old nemesis editor with idea, and I have strong feeling that we will find out after the fact the arc was not supposed to be as long as it was

I’ve re-read previous issues and am excited for issue 28 tomorrow.

I do feel that the real-world virus pandemic has affected my perspective a little. Before it was a far-flung, unlikely-to-happen idea, now we’ve been living it in the real world and had lockdown since March I’m kinda ‘very much done’ with virus-related things as a result. It’s unfortunate timing but hey at least it happened almost at the end of the metal virus story rather than near the beginning.

Yeah, the real world virus issue definetly has slightly hampered my enjoyment of the story. It's more fun when it is escapism, rather than something resembling reality. I'm actually dreading the annual slightly, because considering how it looks like it is going to be 6 anthology stories about the virus, I'm betting that at least 1 of those stories is going to have some kind of gut punch to them.

Again, not to be negative, this isn't the fault of anyone at IDW, and I really hope this arc has a good end. But I am rather looking forward to issue #30 and seeing how things go from there.

As a side note, watching SomeCallMeJohnny's re-review of Sonic Colours today, he brings up enjoying the IDW books and wanting Ian Flynn to be hired to write the Sonic games. Maybe it is just me, but IDW Sonic seems to definetly making a splash with a few Youtubers out there, it really feels like the IDW run has brought so much energy to the fanbase. But that might just be me, with the kind of Youtube videos I watch and get recommended and so forth.

I am also seeing a lot of positivity towards the comic in fandom, including from more causal fans, and "people making IDW Sonic should be writing the games" is certainly a common sentiment.

I am really enjoying current arc, very emotional and impactful, and even if the ending doesn't live up, I don't think it's going to ruin anything for me.

The nature of the arc didn't allow for much tonal variety but that makes me all the more hyped for what comes next; I tried to ignore solicits and covers but it seems, whether we are jumping straight into the next arc or getting one or two "filler" stories, Evan Stanley's first issues are going to be more lighthearted and shenanigans focused.

IDW is proof that you can just do the actioney stuff and the lighthearted stuff , they both work and the only thing that ruins it is sega higher ups getting involved. I think no matter what you feel about sonic, that's a premise you can get behind. " Maybe sega should just stop and just provide funding and time to the people who kinda know what the hell they are doing " .

Issue 28 is out on the app (surprisingly! Usually they have some sort of error that means I can’t get it until they fix it)

I’m DEFINITELY glad this wasn’t the last issue they released before the lockdown delays. The suspense would have been far worse. 

This book is a book of narrative short cuts. Its pretty good, but it is what it is. I ain't mad at it, but its very clear they are trying to wrap things up. That said this book makes me retroactively even more upset at the books earlier in the arc, there are whole books that don't need to be books. And this book kinda summed up at least 3 books in 1 book.

Zavok literally does an attack that might as well be called " speed up the plot"

The book its self is neat. Everyone got to look cool, except the zeti but they suck so whatever. Zavok reminds us that he is in fact a bowser copy.

Yeah the Deadly Six suck, even with good writing, now I can finally say it lol

They still manage to be lame, weak, dumb and cheap threats, even Zavok, who is merely a brute.

Everyone else, it sounded like an easy task, especially Rouge and the bots, I actually wish Zavok had more of a presence, more tactical.

I mean, they had the emeralds and could control hordes of Zombots, so much power, yet they just... "ok, nobody can beat us, whatever, haha" that's how they got defeated, serves them right lol

Also, good job for the heroes, Knuckles I hope does more than just caring about the ME and AIZ next time. I like how the Babylons stick together though.

Silver will have a role... interesting.

Overall great issue because we didn't waste too much time for the previous fights, even though I'm kinda disappointed by them being so short, we had more anticipation for the final fight versus the former friends turned Zombots and that terryfing demon that is Zavok (cool transformation btw).

#28 finally.... Eh.

So 3 Zeti down in 1 issue. Or rather 2/3 of the issue. ...Why? Why wouldn't it make more sense to squeeze 3rd fight into previous issue? Or better yet, in #26? Fights are gorgeous looking and have some cute dialogue (Maste Zik's request) but have disappointing conclusion. Basically hero punch their way to victory. It's most jarring with Rouges. It would be so much cooler if

Spoiler

Jet intentionally touched zombot, then infected Zik . That would be badass sacrifice way to win.
OR
Someone actually lost the fight to Zeti, but Rouge managed to steal Zavok's emerald and he would take emerald from one of his underlings. Maybe Zik would win, but get infected and decide to give his gem to Zavok.

You know, some actual twists of expectations.

Zavok and Rouge also didn't showed their tactical skills, I was really hoping for 'battle of the wits' between the two.

And of course we're getting build-up for final battle, which is good enough.

So it's a gorgeous  issue with nice dialogue, but only surprise being lack of surprises.