Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

6 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

Evan Stanley did some fanart of the STC Amy.

EdYZH1dVcAA7NUU?format=jpg&name=4096x409

I thought it was a crossbow, not a KND weapon. 

• Chuckle 3

12 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Stuff from Supergirl Bumblekast

Hide contents
  • Unified Chaos Emeralds were the same power level as the millions of Emeralds. He admits that the Emeralds were mishandled from the start, but he did what he could. Naugus's surprise at his power was actually a hint that his powers were messing up.
  • He doesn't read Archie Sonic Online because it's fan material, which he was always adverse about.
  • Once again, Gemerl and Omega are more robotic in behavior now due to things being different from how they were in Archie.
  • Genesis is something he personally doesn't view fondly in spite of the constant praise he gets for it due to it being phoned in and being mandated to tie into the anniversary over the milestone. He also wishes House of Cards had been the year long character driven arc about individual motivations/affiliations he intended it to be.
  • Something for IDW 2020 was deemed inappropriate in theme and had to be reconfigured, which lead to an interesting change for one of the characters. He compared it to Eclipse being created due to being asked not to use Mephiles.
  • He would love to do an IDW Encyclopedia, but it's way too early and he's not sure SEGA would be keen on it.
  • There were no big plans for Relic since she was a supporting character, though there was an idea involving Rotor & the Unleashed ghosts and a scrapped idea for Tikal interaction during the Shattered World Crisis. He also wishes he could bring her and Eclipse over.

Also, he is working on Rivals of Aether as a lore consultant.

I didn't notice anything too different from omega , I was thinking maybe he was less sassy? But he seems... just as sassy as before. Then I thought oh, its the friendship thing isn't it. Goddamnit

Also something in IDW 2020 that has already happened, or is going too happen?

Sega wants the lore loose these days

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

I think hew meant the Annual. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some more disturbing image of Big transforming that got cut.

Spoiler

5 hours ago, Stay at Home Ultima said:

Two more pages!

Hide contents

spacer.png

a1ec5a43eb5ebb8d82078203501b2e2e3fd82795

Spoiler

Can't tell if Sonic is being sarcastic or not.

Also, is Zavok trying to blow a smokescreen or what?

5 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

I didn't notice anything too different from omega , I was thinking maybe he was less sassy? But he seems... just as sassy as before. Then I thought oh, its the friendship thing isn't it. Goddamnit

I think the fan was primarily referring to how less over the top and occasionally expressive he could he back in Archie.

Gonna happen soon.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Hide contents

Can't tell if Sonic is being sarcastic or not.

Also, is Zavok trying to blow a smokescreen or what?

I think the fan was primarily referring to how less over the top and occasionally expressive he could he back in Archie.

Gonna happen soon.

I mean I feel like he seems the same. But like sure

I think it’s also worth noting that the details we’ve been getting from Ian in the Bumblekast surrounding SEGA’s characterization requirements usually backfire pretty bad, so he could be intentionally ambiguous so as to not start another bout of twitter hashtags. 

Regardless, I’m enjoying seeing the influence of the comics’ (both Archie and IDW) creative team on the games and vice versa. Omega in TSR is very much a hilariously violent character who can never seem to frame anything he says as Not a Threat (“Accept my thanks, or be destroyed!”) which plays masterfully against the rest of the cast imo. Silver’s also a more innocent and singleminded character with an endearing lack of social graces, much like his portrayal in IDW so far. I really enjoy seeing these characters branching out and blooming into their own like that, it’s neat. 

• Thumbs Up 8

I'm glad to see Ian admitting that Genesis was phoned in. Always felt that way to me. It was a neat idea with a very uninspired execution.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, calamityCons said:

Regardless, I’m enjoying seeing the influence of the comics’ (both Archie and IDW) creative team on the games and vice versa. Omega in TSR is very much a hilariously violent character who can never seem to frame anything he says as Not a Threat (“Accept my thanks, or be destroyed!”) which plays masterfully against the rest of the cast imo. Silver’s also a more innocent and singleminded character with an endearing lack of social graces, much like his portrayal in IDW so far. I really enjoy seeing these characters branching out and blooming into their own like that, it’s neat. 

I'm used to seeing Silver's over-softness as an exaggerated trait & only in fanworks, so it feels so weird to see it in canon. Him being a clueless jerk in pre-reboot Archie was pretty annoying, but seeing him take a simple joke literally in TSR or gushing innocently with sparkling eyes in the comic...also feels off.

Which reminds me about the preview,

Spoiler

Silver can create energy shields??

How many psychic moves does he have???

Hmm, I’m curious. What about it doesn’t track for you? I mean this with no malice and I’m just genuinely puzzled. From how I perceive Silver, there really isn’t anything incongruous about him becoming more of a lovable doofus.

In my opinion, there is not much else to Silver’s character as introduced in Sonic 06. Silver is naive or otherwise just not that smart, he commits 100% to one idea until he’s given hard proof of it being false. He is fairly polite to Amy but otherwise seems really baffled and uncomfortable around her, and beyond that, well. Blaze is basically a block of wood in that game so he mostly talks to Mephiles and Shadow. Mephiles constantly manipulates him, while Silver’s interaction with Shadow is fairly cold and professional.

Good catch! Aggregated Silver character traits include:

- Not comfortable around people, misreads and misunderstands them all the time

- Easily manipulated

- Likes nature of any kind, even the kinds others might dislike

- singleminded in a bad way

Again, I’m uncertain why him leaning further into the “lovable dummy” angle is a bad thing. If anything he gains a neat distinctive take on Knuckles’ role. He’s a gullible guardian of something he cares a lot about, but he’s got a more unique angle to it. You wouldn’t be able to swap Knuckles and Silver in a room without someone noticing a difference, their thought processes are completely different and I think that’s a good thing. 

Edited by calamityCons
Posted prematurely.

3 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

I'm used to seeing Silver's over-softness as an exaggerated trait & only in fanworks, so it feels so weird to see it in canon. Him being a clueless jerk in pre-reboot Archie was pretty annoying, but seeing him take a simple joke literally in TSR or gushing innocently with sparkling eyes in the comic...also feels off.

Let’s not forget that Silver in pre-reboot Archie had nothing but literal scraps of information to work on and was clueless because he was trying to piece them together only to discover it was the wrong answer—if you, I, or anyone else were in his place, we’d fuck things up too.

At least he was trying to do his research, unlike his game counterpart where he jumped at the call out of desperation based on what a complete stranger told him.

• Thumbs Up 1

Its not that bad...

Spoiler

Context is everything. Tails whimpering like that in front of Chaos 0 is an outrage. Tails acting his age after getting infected and facing down pretty much the end of the world... I think we should be able to live with that. 

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Let’s not forget that Silver in pre-reboot Archie had nothing but literal scraps of information to work on and was clueless because he was trying to piece them together only to discover it was the wrong answer—if you, I, or anyone else were in his place, we’d fuck things up too.

At least he was trying to do his research, unlike his game counterpart where he jumped at the call out of desperation based on what a complete stranger told him.

Oh I understand that. Which is why I only said I was annoyed by it. I'm more surprised at the complete 180, was expecting something like post-reboot, or at least less....."adorkable" ?

Though...at least from what I remember....in the game, while portrayed terribly, Mephiles took advantage of his personality (probably alone, never met anyone with bad faith) and situation to guide him to one specific culprit. And he shows sign of guilt/hesitation and needs to be encouraged by Blaze. In the comic he was shown to have mentors but still comes to the conclusion based on his limited research, and when that didn't work he starts guessing the next ones w/o hesitation, later without any evidence just because (which makes Sonic pissed).

35 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

SPOILER_1595383876748.png

Ohhhh boy...

Spoiler

Surrounded by his former friends and slowly getting infected himself, most likely with everyone else?  I'm surprised he managed to stay strong until now.

Wonder how [Spoiler from that one cover]'s gonna solve everything?

48 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Its not that bad...

Reveal hidden contents

Context is everything. Tails whimpering like that in front of Chaos 0 is an outrage. Tails acting his age after getting infected and facing down pretty much the end of the world... I think we should be able to live with that. 

Oh, I know.

Spoiler

Still won't stop his fans, tho.

• Thumbs Up 2

Gonna have to wait before I so called rage or whatever....but I swear that fuckin pose is gonna be the Yamcha death meme equivalent at this rate.

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Oh, I know.

Hide contents

Still won't stop his fans, tho.

I can't speak for other fans but I really don't have an issue with this. Like someone else said, context matters.

Edited by prowerboy26

I don’t mind it happening, I kinda wish they hadn’t used the exact same pose from Forces though XD

Kind of an anti-climax in this issue tbh, I didn’t enjoy it as much as I thought. I’ll re-read it again later and see if I can get anything more from it.

34 minutes ago, peliukun said:
  Reveal hidden contents

it's not the context thats the problem, you know its bait for the fanbase gaggin on about tails. while he can't do anythin could he like... be drawn in a less cowardly pose? literally anything else other than 'lol forces' would've sufficed there honestly

issue was a bit meh imo

Spoiler

Yeah I think the Forces pose is what irks me so much. It's pretty much PTSD flashbacks. I feel a better stance woulda been nice instead of triggering those bad memories XD

It's the having no sense of self preservation coward pose. It's the presenting my ass to be fucked pose XD

To be fair he's clearly infected in this panel so it makes sense but....man just twisting the knife in there eh.