Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

SPP kind of makes the plot of Sonic Colors hilarious, considering that Eggman already had the capacity for much more effective and long-lasting mind control before harnessing the Wisps.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 3

1 hour ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Why did Eggman feel the need to kick Amy from behind if he was just going to run away Amy was already distracting the zombies is this something the writer just wanted to see? 

Because he's a dick. Pretty simple really. 

Just now, Kuzu said:

Because he's a dick. Pretty simple really. 

There's a purely pragmatic reason too.

It buys him a little more extra time to get away if the robots are preoccupied with Amy. Making sure someone else is an easy target (and ergo, you aren't) makes perfect sense if you only care about your own well-being.

1 hour ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Why did Eggman feel the need to kick Amy from behind if he was just going to run away Amy was already distracting the zombies is this something the writer just wanted to see? 

Seeing Zavok lose this easily is just sad to watch and this comic keeps saying all their powers come from the emeralds which isn't right. 

Aside from what everyone said, there's also the fact he's pretty much defenceless. The other possible options/risks were:

• Amy stands her ground and keep the zombot busy, but him running away may catch their attention.
  • He could run away from the fight, but Amy may try sabotaging him somehow (she wouldn't, but he would consider that a possibility)
  • Both run away in different direction, the zombot may decide to go after him. 
  • Both run away in the same direction with the zombots chasing both. Gonna be harder to use her as a distraction at that point.

If he kicks/push Amy into a Zombot, he can at least ensure safety from the threat(s) in front of him.

• Promotion 3

34 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Yea, but he specifically pointed why he kicked her. That's the dick part. 

I thought Firey was a girl?

But then that's the ambiguity of anonymity for ya.

1 hour ago, Dr. Mechano said:

SPP kind of makes the plot of Sonic Colors hilarious, considering that Eggman already had the capacity for much more effective and long-lasting mind control before harnessing the Wisps.

What did he use in Pinball Party?

It still feels like Eggman shouldn't have kick Amy as it just turns her immediately stopping all her movement making the zombies go to the next target which is Eggman. This self absorbed men in a life or death situation sure does take his time leaving someone behind.

2 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

It still feels like Eggman shouldn't have kick Amy as it just turns her immediately stopping all her movement making the zombies go to the next target which is Eggman. This self absorbed men in a life or death situation sure does take his time leaving someone behind.

Any seconds the zombots waste attacking someone else is a few extra seconds they aren't attacking and trying to infect Eggman. Not only does he dislike Amy, but he's a selfish asshole, him doing something like that makes perfect sense. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

That is true. It probably would've made more sense if she had been standing beside him when Big approached and he smacked her on the back to go to blows while he makes a run for it.

But then that's Dick Dastardliness for ya.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can definitely see the argument it might not have actually helped him, but he probably wasn't exactly thinking at the moment and just acting on instinct.

The fact that was his instinct says it all of course.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 4

Late but whatever. I had a bad impression first but reading again, the issue is pretty alright. Climax is a tad too predictable (way to go with the self-awareness) but the whole moment of built desperation followed by a cheerful relief is a felt payoff. It must be how awesome the Super Forms are in nature, they just don't fail to impress and get the hype flowing. You can hear some epic theme in your head just by looking at them.

Spoiler

Eggman's character got this fluctuation between a Archie-tier merciless tyrant and cracking humor with his clumsiness and karma-induced fails. It helps artists don't hold back when drawing him with exaggerated expressions, but beyond that I'll just lazily say it works because he's such a charismatic villain. Him kicking Amy and almost killed by Big and Froggy was hilarious, I'll give them that.

As for the Tails thing... I don't know. The context is completely justified and I've already defended it myself, but it feels dirty to do so. Did Flynn or Thomas really need to make the exact same hated pose? Are they just trying to anger fans or prove their writing is much better? It obviously is, but referencing a universally despised moment doesn't feel right. I just don't want Tails to get even more hate than he already gets these days and It would be nice if they didn't contribute to it. I'm all in for letting him act like a kid though, was nitpicking this from IDW so far.

• Thumbs Up 2

55 minutes ago, Rowesh said:

Late but whatever. I had a bad impression first but reading again, the issue is pretty alright. Climax is a tad too predictable (way to go with the self-awareness) but the whole moment of built desperation followed by a cheerful relief is a felt payoff. It must be how awesome the Super Forms are in nature, they just don't fail to impress and get the hype flowing. You can hear some epic theme in your head just by looking at them.

Hide contents

Eggman's character got this fluctuation between a Archie-tier merciless tyrant and cracking humor with his clumsiness and karma-induced fails. It helps artists don't hold back when drawing him with exaggerated expressions, but beyond that I'll just lazily say it works because he's such a charismatic villain. Him kicking Amy and almost killed by Big and Froggy was hilarious, I'll give them that.

As for the Tails thing... I don't know. The context is completely justified and I've already defended it myself, but it feels dirty to do so. Did Flynn or Thomas really need to make the exact same hated pose? Are they just trying to anger fans or prove their writing is much better? It obviously is, but referencing a universally despised moment doesn't feel right. I just don't want Tails to get even more hate than he already gets these days and It would be nice if they didn't contribute to it. I'm all in for letting him act like a kid though, was nitpicking this from IDW so far.

It's Tails, he'll be fine.

Where was Omega during all this, actually?

16 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

It's Tails, he'll be fine.

According to the fans he hasn't been fine for over a decade but- oh you're being sarcastic

Omega's head must be chilling on a ruin or inside the ship just before Eggman gets his property back to kick off the next arc.

20 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

He's a head...literally. 

19 minutes ago, Rowesh said:

According to the fans he hasn't been fine for over a decade but- oh you're being sarcastic

Or can't really be bothered, but whatever.

19 minutes ago, Rowesh said:

Omega's head must be chilling on a ruin or inside the ship just before Eggman gets his property back to kick off the next arc.

I do know that the last time we saw him was with Cream, so the former is a decent spot.

We got some new covers, I assume solicits are coming soon.  Found them.

Cover B for Issue 2 of Bad Guys and Sonic #34-

Spoiler

EdsD7JWXYAA83yU?format=jpg&name=large 

From Sonic veterans Ian Flynn and Jack Lawrence comes "Smash & Grab," an exciting story jam-packed with bad guys and badniks! Some of Sonic's worst enemies are back and badder than ever! Dr. Starline, Dr. Eggman's former-right hand, has brought together Mimic, Rough, Tumble and Zavok and promised them even more incredible power... if they can stop fighting each other and start fighting badniks to get to it!

EdsEwDiWkAE1WJt?format=jpg&name=large

It's off to the races with Cream, Cheese, Amy, and Rouge! They have to keep up their winning streak or surrender Cheese to Clutch's evil... clutches! Meanwhile, Sonic and Tails are being watched by a mysterious figure in Eggman's seemingly abandoned base and Shadow investigates a mystery!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Sonictrainer said:

Who do you think would be the perfect voice actor for Tangle & Whisper?

Tangle should have an excitable, neutral-register voice that can squeal at a moment's notice, like Catherine Cavadini (Blossom from Powerpuff Girls) or Janice Kawaye (XJ-9/Jenny Wakeman from My Life as a Teenage Robot). I struggle to think of a voice for Whisper, myself, I can't decide if she should have any old contralto of danger like Jennifer Hale (Commander Shepard from Mass Effect) and Grey DeLisle (Mandy from The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy) or go for a black woman for her voice, like Estelle (Garnet from Steven Universe) or Cree Summer (Oh god she did so many iconic voices).

Spoiler

I can't see much of anything aside from Mimic and a few Badniks.

So Clutch, huh? Wonder what animal he'll be?

12 hours ago, DaddlerTheDalek said:

The Zombot Arc is over. 

Kaiju Zavok was pretty badass looking.

His transformation was kinda cool.

9 hours ago, Stay at Home Ultima said:

We got some new covers, I assume solicits are coming soon.  Found them.

Cover B for Issue 2 of Bad Guys and Sonic #34-

Hide contents

EdsD7JWXYAA83yU?format=jpg&name=large 

From Sonic veterans Ian Flynn and Jack Lawrence comes "Smash & Grab," an exciting story jam-packed with bad guys and badniks! Some of Sonic's worst enemies are back and badder than ever! Dr. Starline, Dr. Eggman's former-right hand, has brought together Mimic, Rough, Tumble and Zavok and promised them even more incredible power... if they can stop fighting each other and start fighting badniks to get to it!

EdsEwDiWkAE1WJt?format=jpg&name=large

It's off to the races with Cream, Cheese, Amy, and Rouge! They have to keep up their winning streak or surrender Cheese to Clutch's evil... clutches! Meanwhile, Sonic and Tails are being watched by a mysterious figure in Eggman's seemingly abandoned base and Shadow investigates a mystery!

7 hours ago, Stay at Home Ultima said:

Another cover for Bad Guys #2-

Hide contents

EdsjzWFXgAAuIqO?format=jpg&name=large

Why is Mimic so small?

6 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Who do you think would be the perfect voice actor for Tangle & Whisper?

It's been a while since the miniseries, so I definitely can't remember any particular actresses off the top of my head. I vaguely remember the tone, though.

EDIT: 

Thinking about it for a second, I guess I'll give a genuine idea of what they sound like to me before moving on:

• Tangle is basically your sorta young-ish tomboy, though an exact VA is eluding me. It's not particularly high-pitched like Omochao for example, but it certainly get's the scrappiness across while allowing her to occasionally give a quieter line.
  • Whisper, per her name, usually whispers on the occasions where she does speak. As such, it makes sense for her voice to be softer yet comparatively deeper than Tangle or [current]Rouge. There's also a hint of a middle-eastern accent in there as well, probably due to her being more elegant than most characters. 
  • While we're at it, Starline is cultured and a bit flamboyant without necessarily leaning on either as a contrast to Eggman being bombastic and abominable; his tone, like Whisper's, is also a vague low, though moreso than hers.
  • It's been a long while since we saw them, but Rough was definitely kind of a ratty mischief maker/thug like Darrell from OKKO. I honestly don't remember much to Tumble beyond maybe being sorta oafish.
  • Jewel is this weird dissonance of being more mature/natural representative despite her small body obviously drawing on Cream and Charmy.
  • Don't remember Mimic, Scruffy, or Lanolin much at all.

I'd probably say Christina Vee for Tangle. She also plays Shantae. Not sure about Whisper.

50 minutes ago, therealfalconpawnch777 said:

Personally I'd think Melissa Fahn would make a good Tangle.

Was that Rika from Tamers?