Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

16 hours ago, calamityCons said:

If I were a writer for SEGA and I were incapable of portraying Shadow as anything more than a paper-thing jerkass idiot? I’d rather keep him in the background than wrestle with the license holders so that I could portray him as a rounded character. 

9 hours ago, Kuzu said:

That doesn't really work since Shadow is a popular character regardless of how Sega wants to portray him.

...So?

If SEGA is so particular about what is done with him, then just continue focusing on other stuff while tossing different ideas in the background to see what concessions can be had.

8 hours ago, Silvereyes said:

Not sure if it was brought up, but the original cover of #30 featured ABT's sheep fan character before she was edited out. Also turns out the sheep girl is called Lanolin, although honestly it just makes me want to nickname her Lambchop instead. She still doesn't have a page on the wiki but I like to keep an eye out for this easter egg, for whatever reason.

zsyUQRk.png

jWP5wlh.jpg

Hide contents

Oh, that was probably a bad move.

Mr Flynn mentioned previously how trying to make her an actual character could strike a wrong chord with SEGA and low & behold.

• Thumbs Up 1

Question for anyone who collects physical issues, have you seen and/or own the retail incentive cover for #22? I've been wanting to get my hands on one for awhile, but I can't seem to even find it for some absurdly high price. I'm starting to think it never existed lol
latest.png 

56 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Mr Flynn mentioned previously how trying to make her an actual character could strike a wrong chord with SEGA and low & behold.

Well clearly Sega can’t strike a decent chord if it stabbed them in the ear if that’s the case. I can’t see any problem with making Lanolin an actual character.

20 minutes ago, yuupi said:

Question for anyone who collects physical issues, have you seen and/or own the retail incentive cover for #22? I've been wanting to get my hands on one for awhile, but I can't seem to even find it for some absurdly high price. I'm starting to think it never existed lol
latest.png 

What was Eggman supposed to be again?

Also, what's going on with Knuckles?

2 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Well clearly Sega can’t strike a decent chord if it stabbed them in the ear if that’s the case. I can’t see any problem with making Lanolin an actual character.

The problem is Sega didn't approve her design.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Eggman I think is loosely based on his original design, back when he was going to be the protagonist. As for Knuckles, his mummy costume might be based on this artwork from 2017.

3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

It reminds me of one of the recent Bumblekast:

Ian was able to sneak in risky/off-limit ideas in Post-Archie because he intentionally left information out when sent to Sega (Kyle jokingly says "Well, it's not lying if you don't tell them!"). In Archie things were approved in-house, so all they had to do was word it in a way to get it approved in Japan then do their thing in-house without telling Sega further. But now, everything is approved by Sega. From character designs—Tangle, Whisper+her mask, Starline, Mimic+his age, the Skunk bros.—to the plot and characterization. They can't use their old shady clever methods anymore.

If they did, they'd probably lose trust and lead to tighter restrictions.

2 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

If Sega saw the fan reactions and decided to give a try, that's nice. But redesign would probably be unavoidable. She was allowed to appear as she is because she was a background cameo.

There's also the fact some people can see that as "anyone involved in the comic can get their oc canon as long as the readers like it" and not like it.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

a better question would be is why does metal sonic have hearts above his head? 💕

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

The problem is Sega didn't approve her design.

Wait, they didn’t?

How she even get in then?

EDIT: Nevermind, I saw the answer above. I take back what I said then.

Just doing some clean up to get rid of the usual Shadow fanboy bandodger that can't take a hint. Don't mind me.

• Thumbs Up 3

6 hours ago, DabigRG said:

That's a shame. Still, would be kindof nice if sheep girl sticks around as a background character. Would be nice to have that as a sortof IDW recurring easter egg, although I guess that would mean ABT giving permission to the other artists to use her.

#justiceforlampchop

I'm ready for the book to slow down, personally. It's been non stop "epic" storylines since the first issue. Time for the characters to just relax, breathe, and have some more lighthearted adventures.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, PC the Hedgehog said:

I'm ready for the book to slow down, personally. It's been non stop "epic" storylines since the first issue. Time for the characters to just relax, breathe, and have some more lighthearted adventures.

I mean if they made another one, they’d risk burning themselves out anyway. Don’t want risk exhausting the writing with another apocalypse.

Makes me all the more upset Archie ended before they reached their own relaxation period—at least it ended on a helluva high note tho.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, PC the Hedgehog said:

I mean if they made another one, they’d risk burning themselves out anyway. Don’t want risk exhausting the writing with another apocalypse.

Makes me all the more upset Archie ended before they reached their own relaxation period—at least it ended on a helluva high note tho.

8 hours ago, DabigRG said:

...So?

If SEGA is so particular about what is done with him, then just continue focusing on other stuff while tossing different ideas in the background to see what concessions can be had.

The wheels of capitalism turn whether you are ready or not. Ian has to answer to multiple sets of corporate overlords both of whom are probably into that really popular guy showing up in the thing they sell.

5 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

It reminds me of one of the recent Bumblekast:

Ian was able to sneak in risky/off-limit ideas in Post-Archie because he intentionally left information out when sent to Sega (Kyle jokingly says "Well, it's not lying if you don't tell them!"). In Archie things were approved in-house, so all they had to do was word it in a way to get it approved in Japan then do their thing in-house without telling Sega further. But now, everything is approved by Sega. From character designs—Tangle, Whisper+her mask, Starline, Mimic+his age, the Skunk bros.—to the plot and characterization. They can't use their old shady clever methods anymore.

If they did, they'd probably lose trust and lead to tighter restrictions.

If Sega saw the fan reactions and decided to give a try, that's nice. But redesign would probably be unavoidable. She was allowed to appear as she is because she was a background cameo.

I feel two ways. On one hand I feel like it can be really restrictive and suck. But on the other hand, i look at the era of comic that would eventually cause these mandates and go "No yeah i get it "

5 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

There's also the fact some people can see that as "anyone involved in the comic can get their oc canon as long as the readers like it" and not like it.

And that's a pretty justified thing to not like.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Looks like Rouge is wearing an outfit similar to one of the Sonic Channel wallpapers-

spacer.png

I wonder if she's wearing that as a disguise, since she's a spy and all.

• Thumbs Up 2

Really wish that “Male characters can’t wear clothes” mandate was axed, because man I can imagine them wearing some equally snazzy or awesome outfits.

• Thumbs Up 2

My theory is that Sega prefers to "oppress" male characters by not allowing them  to wear clothing to avoid situation when they "oppress" females by not allowing them to be nude.

You know, they're playing it safe 😜 .

*Notices Gemerl in that preview sketch*

...You know, I was fine with Gemerl accompanying Cream throughout the Metal Virus Saga, given the context of the saga itself and since he had went on unseen and unmentioned for years. But after sharing many of Cream's scenes in that story, and effectively stealing Cream's climactic moment in the "Zeena fight" (since Gemerl did all the actual fighting while Cream only actually got in a Spin Dash and yanked the emerald out, but ended up infected in the process), I was hoping that Gemerl would take a backseat for a bit so Cream could have her time to shine on her own, alongside Amy and Rouge. But now I'm getting the impression that Gemerl is going to be Cream's shadow no, not the character throughout IDW; always going where she's going and having to be involved whenever she's relevant. Like, Cream already has Cheese as her constant companion, and it's because of that Chao people like to discredit Cream's heroic/badass credentials. Now she has to have a "super robot" who is all about fighting constantly by her side too? 

Don't take this to mean I want Gemerl to make less appearances. If anything, I'd hope he gets to have a story wherein he adventures with Sonic, Tails, and/or Knuckles without Cream needing to be involved. Cream and Gemerl should be allowed to be separate from each other, but with his unnecessary presence in this otherwise "Cream, Rouge, and Amy" centric story, it's starting to feel like Cream and Gemerl are becoming a more extreme "Sonic and Tails duo" (in the sense that the two characters can't seem to spend any time away from each other and such. Which I know that IDW doesn't really do, I'm talking about the franchise as a whole

EDIT- Holy unintentional page-topper, Batman!

EDIT 2- ...And now I'm at the bottom of the previous page...? The mechanics of this site confuse me sometimes lol

7 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Really wish that “Male characters can’t wear clothes” mandate was axed, because man I can imagine them wearing some equally snazzy or awesome outfits.

Its actually two separate problems. Dudes can't wear clothes often. But ALSO apparently approving alternate costumes for use in games has been described as " pulling teeth" . Which is weird because even if you view sonic in the most vapid flat way, as a mascot putting him and his friends in themed outfit should be free marketing real estate. But sega focusing on the wrong shit is...well tuesday

7 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

I think it's less they can't wear clothes and more they can't wear pants since most of the background characters are designed around that in mind and there has been official art of Sonic wearing dress clothes (minus the pants). I feel like I get what they're going for in terms of image (kinda lines up with Sonic's inspiration from old cartoons) so I'm curious if artists don't bother for lighter stories and illustrations because the approval process is too much of a hassle or if things are much more restrictive on non-games related things.

Though if Rouge can appear even briefly in something other than her standard outfit, it's probably just a hassle pushing it through, especially if it centers on Sonic.

8 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

I thought it was just that they couldn't wear pants?

8 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

We have Sonic and his friends wearing fun outfits in Sonic Channel artwork & certain spinoffs. Also IDW has Starline in a fancy suit, plus the Diamond Cutters with capes and various accessories. As everyone is saying, it's most likely just the lower half. They probably want male and female characters visually distinguishable.

Seeing Rouge, giving them temporary outfits may be fine. But it could be that girls are okay but guys can't. (It'd be funny to see the guys suddenly wearing clothes for several issues then go back to being naked.)

6 hours ago, Kaotic Kanine said:

*Notices Gemerl in that preview sketch*

...You know, I was fine with Gemerl accompanying Cream throughout the Metal Virus Saga, given the context of the saga itself and since he had went on unseen and unmentioned for years. But after sharing many of Cream's scenes in that story, and effectively stealing Cream's climactic moment in the "Zeena fight" (since Gemerl did all the actual fighting while Cream only actually got in a Spin Dash and yanked the emerald out, but ended up infected in the process), I was hoping that Gemerl would take a backseat for a bit so Cream could have her time to shine on her own, alongside Amy and Rouge. But now I'm getting the impression that Gemerl is going to be Cream's shadow no, not the character throughout IDW; always going where she's going and having to be involved whenever she's relevant. Like, Cream already has Cheese as her constant companion, and it's because of that Chao people like to discredit Cream's heroic/badass credentials. Now she has to have a "super robot" who is all about fighting constantly by her side too? 

Don't take this to mean I want Gemerl to make less appearances. If anything, I'd hope he gets to have a story wherein he adventures with Sonic, Tails, and/or Knuckles without Cream needing to be involved. Cream and Gemerl should be allowed to be separate from each other, but with his unnecessary presence in this otherwise "Cream, Rouge, and Amy" centric story, it's starting to feel like Cream and Gemerl are becoming a more extreme "Sonic and Tails duo" (in the sense that the two characters can't seem to spend any time away from each other and such. Which I know that IDW doesn't really do, I'm talking about the franchise as a whole

EDIT- Holy unintentional page-topper, Batman!

From a story standpoint, I get it. Since Gemerl is a stand-in for Emerl, and the latter's story has a significant turning point with Cream. It makes sense to keep them together. 

Also, dude Cream is a pacifist; even if she can fight, doesn't mean that she likes it. She actively HATES to fight. That's not discrediting her character at all, it's a canon character trait that the character has. And it's aforementioned plot point that I mentioned when she's upset when Emerl starts going murder-happy in Sonic Battle. So I don't see the issue with her having a bodyguard in that sense.