Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

11 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

From a story standpoint, I get it. Since Gemerl is a stand-in for Emerl, and the latter's story has a significant turning point with Cream. It makes sense to keep them together.

Okay, fair enough. But even then, Cream should be allowed to do things without Gemerl, just as Tails doesn't need to be around Sonic 24/7 (and vice versa). Ditto Rouge and Omega with Shadow. The whole Metal Virus Saga saw Cream go without Cheese, who is literally an extension of her character. Yet we can't have Cream go two story arcs in a row without Gemerl butting into her ventures? 

16 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Also, dude Cream is a pacifist; even if she can fight, doesn't mean that she likes it. She actively HATES to fight. That's not discrediting her character at all, it's a canon character trait that the character has. And it's aforementioned plot point that I mentioned when she's upset when Emerl starts going murder-happy in Sonic Battle.

So that's why Cream was so insistent on being involved in the fights against the Zeti, to the point of jumping into one of the portals? And do you not recall that Cream's story in Sonic Battle had her learn that pacifism isn't 100% a good thing? She experienced first-hand in that game that, by getting Emerl to stop fighting for the sake of her feelings, he allowed himself to get beaten to near death by enemies that would NOT listen. Thus, while Cream will still abhor violence and argue against violence if the situation allows it, she ought to drop that pacifism when it's clearly not an option. In this case, the world was succumbing to a robot-zombie virus and a group of six demon-like aliens who literally call themselves "Deadly" not only have the Chaos Emeralds needed to destroy that virus, but actively spreading it across the world. Honestly, I'm baffled that Cream was made to try and shame Zeena into giving up her Chaos Emerald, and only reason I can understand why Ian did that was because of SEGA's mandates (which we all know are mostly bull) 

And no, it may not be a "discredit" to Cream's character. But that's not what I was getting across; my beef with Gemerl's overall domination of the Zeena fight is that it takes the performance away from Cream. After being absent in the games for eight years (and counting) and being left out of all the action in the previous comic series, Cream was due to have her big action moment. And while the Zeena fight did accomplish that for Cream... Well, let me put it this way: if you were a newcomer to the Sonic franchise, having no idea who the hell Cream the Rabbit beyond what little is explained in the comic, who would grab your attention more: the little rabbit girl who barely put up a fight, after putting herself into danger, and ended getting herself infected. Or the badass robot who made himself immune to Zeena's mind control, fought off her energy beams and zombie dog-pile, and then tossed that Zeti into her Zombot horde? Most people would say the robot, and then be baffled that Sonic thinks the rabbit would be a great hero someday

30 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

So I don't see the issue with her having a bodyguard in that sense. 

Here's the thing; Cream already has a bodyguard! His name is Cheese. Being Cream's "bodyguard" is the exact reason that dang Chao was created in the first place. And Cheese is able to do that job without stealing away the spotlight and attention from Cream, whereas Gemerl was the clear MVP in both Issue 18 and Issue 27, the two stories that were otherwise Cream's time to shine. So now I'm only hoping that dang robot doesn't steal away any more focus from Cream (and Cheese) in this Chao Racing arc, even though his presence within is unnecessary to begin with. Like, really, even if Cheese isn't enough, Cream is accompanied by Amy and Rouge, is she not?

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

From a story standpoint, I get it. Since Gemerl is a stand-in for Emerl, and the latter's story has a significant turning point with Cream. It makes sense to keep them together. 

Also, dude Cream is a pacifist; even if she can fight, doesn't mean that she likes it. She actively HATES to fight. That's not discrediting her character at all, it's a canon character trait that the character has. And it's aforementioned plot point that I mentioned when she's upset when Emerl starts going murder-happy in Sonic Battle. So I don't see the issue with her having a bodyguard in that sense. 

7 hours ago, Kaotic Kanine said:

*Notices Gemerl in that preview sketch*

...You know, I was fine with Gemerl accompanying Cream throughout the Metal Virus Saga, given the context of the saga itself and since he had went on unseen and unmentioned for years. But after sharing many of Cream's scenes in that story, and effectively stealing Cream's climactic moment in the "Zeena fight" (since Gemerl did all the actual fighting while Cream only actually got in a Spin Dash and yanked the emerald out, but ended up infected in the process), I was hoping that Gemerl would take a backseat for a bit so Cream could have her time to shine on her own, alongside Amy and Rouge. But now I'm getting the impression that Gemerl is going to be Cream's shadow no, not the character throughout IDW; always going where she's going and having to be involved whenever she's relevant. Like, Cream already has Cheese as her constant companion, and it's because of that Chao people like to discredit Cream's heroic/badass credentials. Now she has to have a "super robot" who is all about fighting constantly by her side too? 

Don't take this to mean I want Gemerl to make less appearances. If anything, I'd hope he gets to have a story wherein he adventures with Sonic, Tails, and/or Knuckles without Cream needing to be involved. Cream and Gemerl should be allowed to be separate from each other, but with his unnecessary presence in this otherwise "Cream, Rouge, and Amy" centric story, it's starting to feel like Cream and Gemerl are becoming a more extreme "Sonic and Tails duo" (in the sense that the two characters can't seem to spend any time away from each other and such. Which I know that IDW doesn't really do, I'm talking about the franchise as a whole

EDIT- Holy unintentional page-topper, Batman!

EDIT 2- ...And now I'm at the bottom of the previous page...? The mechanics of this site confuse me sometimes lol

I think the idea is that he goes along because he's worried about her safety after the Metal Virus went down, which kinda makes sense. And thematically speaking, he as the Ultimate Fighting Robot clone/re-make of the Gizoid isn't that different from how Chao work.

But yeah, this is pretty much a story about the conceptual Team Rose with Shadow out of the equation and it's not likely to have much action or tension anyway.

That said, Cream doesn't out n out hate fighting--she'd prefer everyone get along and not have to resort to violence, but she will get involved if she sees she has to.

Hell, her arc in Battle was about understanding that and even that was technically situational since she was already an adept kickboxing partner for Amy and seemed more put off by how aggressive Eggman's robots and later Emerl himself were.

Pacifism isn't about refusing to fight, it's about preferring you don't if there's any alternatives.

• Thumbs Up 2

I like Cream as a character and I'm totally fine with her being in team with Gemerl most of the times. In fact, I was one of the few people (if not the only one) who wanted this to happen in the games before it actually happend in the comics... probably there are some old posts in this forum too.

I think that Gemerl as a partner helps to balance the cutesy of the character a bit with some more cool factor.

I don't see it as a problem, if Chaotix are a trio, can't Cream be part of a "group" too? Especially when she seems to be the "leader", and Gemerl is the one who used to be a war machine and is learning to be "more human" from her.

32 minutes ago, Kaotic Kanine said:

if you were a newcomer to the Sonic franchise, having no idea who the hell Cream the Rabbit beyond what little is explained in the comic, who would grab your attention more: the little rabbit girl who barely put up a fight, after putting herself into danger, and ended getting herself infected. Or the badass robot who made himself immune to Zeena's mind control, fought off her energy beams and zombie dog-pile, and then tossed that Zeti into her Zombot horde? Most people would say the robot, and then be baffled that Sonic thinks the rabbit would be a great hero someday

Didn't Gemerl became immune to mind control because of Cream, and was able to fight the energy beams because he went berserk when Cream was in danger? I think that without Cream the fight would have been an instant-lose (sending a robot to a zeti can never end well).

In the meanwhile Tails and Amy didn't even fight at all, they just ran away and trapped Zomzom under the gate; this doesn't mean that their actions were less meaningful. I mean, Gemerl gets all the spectacle of the fight, but Cream is still the one who gets the focus, even though her fighting is less flashy; at least IMO.

I don't know why, but I'm under the impression that the fact that the story was planned to be Cream-Rouge-Shadow and now apparently became Cream-Rouge-Amy could mean that it's Amy that may steal the spotlight from Cream and not Gemerl.

BTW I think that Gemerl is to Cream what Chaos is to Tikal... I think that the two characters are very similar, except that one is a ghost who lived in ancient times, while the other exists in the present and has less experience and knownledge of the world because of being way younger.

1 hour ago, Kaotic Kanine said:

So that's why Cream was so insistent on being involved in the fights against the Zeti, to the point of jumping into one of the portals? And do you not recall that Cream's story in Sonic Battle had her learn that pacifism isn't 100% a good thing? She experienced first-hand in that game that, by getting Emerl to stop fighting for the sake of her feelings, he allowed himself to get beaten to near death by enemies that would NOT listen. Thus, while Cream will still abhor violence and argue against violence if the situation allows it, she ought to drop that pacifism when it's clearly not an option. In this case, the world was succumbing to a robot-zombie virus and a group of six demon-like aliens who literally call themselves "Deadly" not only have the Chaos Emeralds needed to destroy that virus, but actively spreading it across the world. Honestly, I'm baffled that Cream was made to try and shame Zeena into giving up her Chaos Emerald, and only reason I can understand why Ian did that was because of SEGA's mandates (which we all know are mostly bull) 

And no, it may not be a "discredit" to Cream's character. But that's not what I was getting across; my beef with Gemerl's overall domination of the Zeena fight is that it takes the performance away from Cream. After being absent in the games for eight years (and counting) and being left out of all the action in the previous comic series, Cream was due to have her big action moment. And while the Zeena fight did accomplish that for Cream... Well, let me put it this way: if you were a newcomer to the Sonic franchise, having no idea who the hell Cream the Rabbit beyond what little is explained in the comic, who would grab your attention more: the little rabbit girl who barely put up a fight, after putting herself into danger, and ended getting herself infected. Or the badass robot who made himself immune to Zeena's mind control, fought off her energy beams and zombie dog-pile, and then tossed that Zeti into her Zombot horde? Most people would say the robot, and then be baffled that Sonic thinks the rabbit would be a great hero someday

Here's the thing; Cream already has a bodyguard! His name is Cheese. Being Cream's "bodyguard" is the exact reason that dang Chao was created in the first place. And Cheese is able to do that job without stealing away the spotlight and attention from Cream, whereas Gemerl was the clear MVP in both Issue 18 and Issue 27, the two stories that were otherwise Cream's time to shine. So now I'm only hoping that dang robot doesn't steal away any more focus from Cream (and Cheese) in this Chao Racing arc, even though his presence within is unnecessary to begin with. Like, really, even if Cheese isn't enough, Cream is accompanied by Amy and Rouge, is she not?

Honestly, I feel like you're making a mountain out of a molehill dude. And you always do this when it's about Cream. I get it, she's your favorite character and you want her to be represented well, but that doesn't necessitate that she needs to be this big uber badass that you want her to be. 

Cream had her moment, and it was a great moment and it was evocative of her character; I honestly don't know what else you would want out of her without it being excessive. The leap in logic of saying Gemerl "stole her moment" in spite of the fact that the majority of the issue was from Cream's POV is ridiculous.  It was Cream's story and nothing you tell me is going to go convince me otherwise. 

Cream's is not this uber badass fighter that you want her to be, and it's never been her character. She hates fighting and will do it as an absolute last resort, and prefers to settle things as non-violently as possible. She's not like the headstrong and fight happy characters like Sonic, Knuckles or Shadow. She's a reactionary character by her very nature compared to them. Does that mean that some people might not see her as highly? Yea, but so what?! Not every character needs to be at the center of attention and be this super popular badass that kids love. 

Just. Enjoy the character for what she does dude and stop worrying so much about how "perfect" she is. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm sticking with my stance of " if you feel your character got short changed " sure. I'm generally not gonna argue with that , its your perspective. Most likely all its gonna yeild is you doubling down on the character you like.

However I wish to talk about one think, I find the cream complaint a wee bit weird. Not because a moment was taken away more so that gemril being around is bad. Cream has been a partner character since the start, whether its a chao, amy and big, blaze,  sonic, or whoever she's around she generally has a partner. She's the most non fighting of non fighters with a chao to do a lot of that for her. So gemril being around despicably in the absence of her chao makes sense... to me anyway.

All that said if you say wanted to make a complaint to how all the in game girl characters seem to be largely relegated to side rolls even amy sometimes and the only that commands presence is often trapped on another planet and that sucks. I'll agree with you on that broader scale yes, infact its my main fear with tangle and whisper getting close to games among other fears. But like with cream specifically I don't quite see the issue.

That said if you feel cream got short changed, do you man.

Okay, starting to feel my words are being misinterpreted. Or I just didn't say them right, as usual. So, a few thing: 

1) I'm not saying I want Cream to be a "uber badass who could wipe the floor with Shadow" or any of that crap. I'd rather she NOT become such a character. I understand if that's the impression I give off, given my posts in the past... But no. I'm simply trying to remind folks that Cream isn't purely a non-combatant either; her very debut game has her getting into the action and fighting Eggman just as well as anyone, and same deal with the rest of her playable appearances save for parts of her story in Battle: in which Cream is made to realize that sometimes fighting is necessary to protect yourself and those you love, because not everyone is at all nice nor have any inclination to not attack a purely peaceful person. And I want Cream to be shown fighting by her own capability more because not only is this an action franchise (in which non-combat characters are the most minor of the cast at best, and obviously I want Cream to be in the major leagues at least) but Cream's most memorable moments are when she fights. IIRC, Cream was initially a fan-favorite in Advance 2 because she was such an effective character to play as despite logistically being the weakest and least experienced, until her poor voice acting and more submissive roles in future games saw her become a scrappy. Cream has had a surge of popularity in recent years because her OP status in her playable appearances came to light to the masses, who subsequently had fun with it. And be honest, what moments of Sonic X!Cream do you even remember of her? That time she and Cheese fought and destroyed Emerl, and the odd confrontational moments throughout the show (be it direct combat or simply calling out Chris on dissing his own mother)? Or the rest of Cream's appearances in Sonic X? 

Of course, I'd be all good with Cream not fighting at all if she had some way to still be useful and/or cool in the major cast without doing so ("cool" is the key thing here. And before you try to tell me otherwise, you CAN have characters who are both cute and cool. Look no further than, say, Pikachu). Such as being a the definitive healer of the main cast, providing the combatants crucial support via eliminating injuries, defending them from further harm, and so on. But outside of Sonic Chronicles, that is not the case for Cream, and so her best bet to remain with the major cast (let alone not be retired like Mighty, Ray, and the other Classic characters had been) is to fight. Because ultimately that's the only way for a recurring major character in Sonic to contribute in a story. Look no further than Jewel in IDW: can any of you see her as a major character with her non-combat, civilian role? Not unless a given story is conjured to give that character some importance. And I'm simply wanting for Cream to avoid that fate.

2) I am satisfied with Cream's moment in Issue 27, nor do I think she was short changed. I have nitpicks, of course, but after the extreme frustration of Reboot Archie as a whole, I couldn't be more thankful to Issue 27 as a whole for what it did for Cream. Or more accurately allowed her to do. After 3+ years of being forced to the sidelines and told not to partake in any action, Cream finally got to be part of the action and demonstrate that she's not some weak novice who shouldn't be in fights: finally showed that she is not weak, she has experience, and could take on foes just as well as any of the other characters (well, those not named Sonic, Shadow, Knuckles, Silver, and Blaze). I'm just not gonna lie that I'm fairly miffed that Gemerl took up much of that moment, simply because it distracted from Cream. Cream got to be the only other character aside from Sonic and Shadow to spin-dash, sure, but Gemerl was ultimately the one to defeat Zeena and did the most fighting. So sure, the spotlight may have been focused on Cream, but who's the performer most others are actually paying attention to? Judging by the memes of Issue 27 I've seen on Twitter and Tumblr, it ain't Cream but her robot companion. 

Granted, maybe I'm just being irrationally resentful of Gemerl for the same reason I had become resentful of Sally in Post-Reboot Archie. Not helped by Gemerl literally doing what Sally did in Issue 26... All I can say is that I want Cream to stand out on her own and not get talked down to by other characters, since the opposite case isn't doing her character any favors. Sally was the most frequent offender in Post-Reboot, denying Cream from taking any action because "it's too dangerous" (nevermind Cream's canonical involvement in the no less dangerous events of Advance 2 & 3, Heroes, Battle, and Rush) and taking over Cream's few moments of action (namely the climax to Issue 267, in which Cream's initiative to rescue the Freedom Fighters was overshadowed by Sally's "sympathy sobbing"). Gemerl committed the 'talking down to' with his own "it's too dangerous" in Issue 26, and his presence alone garnered more attention from fans in Issue 18 and Issue 27, both issues that were meant to be Cream's stories. No joke, I remember clear as day a poll on Twitter of which character debuting in Issue 18 people were most excited for- between Cream, Vanilla, Cheese & Chocola, and Gemerl, the latter-most won in a landslide. So I'm sorry if I'm rather irritated with the robot right now. I'm trying not to, taking into consideration Gemerl's own lengthy absence from the franchise, but for once I'd like for Cream not to be overshadowed by a "generic badass" character, and I feel Gemerl has interfered with that. Hence I'm not looking forward to his presence in the Chao Racing story and voicing my concerns so things don't degrade for Cream in the one medium that's allowing her a chance, in light of the games completely abandoning her coughcouchTeamSonicRacingcoughcough Cause silence doesn't prevent potential problems; only speaking out can things hopefully improve. That's what many Shadow fans are doing; voicing their disapproval of Shadow's usage in IDW to try and improve things for him. I'm just trying to do the same for Cream, because even if IDW did her excellently (which I can mostly agree with), things can always be better. Gemerl, IMO, has gotten in the way of that and I'm just saying right now "Please stop; have Cream stand out on her own and not be overshadowed by the black-and-yellow badass robot"

Edited by Kaotic Kanine

26 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Once again, I still think you're being overly paranoid over nothing dude. 

Well, I have good reason to be. After all, much of my rants about Reboot-Archie!Cream were fueled primarily out of admittedly irrational fear SEGA would try to phase Cream out of the franchise due to her seeming irrelevance, which Archie Sonic wasn't exactly helping with. And people indeed called me crazy over that. But lo and behold, Team Sonic Racing would come out around three years after Archie Sonic ended, and Cream is not only replaced by three random Chao and Omochao in her established team, but went on completely unmentioned by the rest of the cast in the game's story mode. Espio and Charmy at least got name-dropped in reference to Vector forming a team with Blaze and Silver instead of with them. Cream though? Nah, she never existed; Omochao had always been the third member of Team Rose

• Thumbs Up 2

20 minutes ago, Kaotic Kanine said:

Well, I have good reason to be. After all, much of my rants about Reboot-Archie!Cream were fueled primarily out of admittedly irrational fear SEGA would try to phase Cream out of the franchise due to her seeming irrelevance, which Archie Sonic wasn't exactly helping with. And people indeed called me crazy over that. But lo and behold, Team Sonic Racing would come out around three years after Archie Sonic ended, and Cream is not only replaced by three random Chao and Omochao in her established team, but went on completely unmentioned by the rest of the cast in the game's story mode. Espio and Charmy at least got name-dropped in reference to Vector forming a team with Blaze and Silver instead of with them. Cream though? Nah, she never existed; Omochao had always been the third member of Team Rose

That's totally a valid fear, but I think if Sega allowed cream to be in IDW to begin with when they aren't allowing Marine or Infinite to be in it, it means they have some hope for her.

• Thumbs Up 2

30 minutes ago, Kaotic Kanine said:

Sega also said they were phasing out Big a few years ago, and lo and behold, he's still right here. Team Sonic Racing is one game. ONE. You'd have a point if this was a recurring thing, but it's literally just a single game of a thirty year franchise. 

Cream still regularly gets artwork on Sonic Channel made by the official game artist and whatnot. If Sega were going to phase her out, they would have did it already. So once again, please chill out and stop overreacting about minor details and then forming conspiracy theories over nothing

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Sega also said they were phasing out Big a few years ago, and lo and behold, he's still right here. Team Sonic Racing is one game. ONE. You'd have a point if this was a recurring thing, but it's literally just a single game of a thirty year franchise. 

Cream still regularly gets artwork on Sonic Channel made by the official game artist and whatnot. If Sega were going to phase her out, they would have did it already. So once again, please chill out and stop overreacting about minor details and then forming conspiracy theories over nothing

Fair point... Although, I can't help but see Big as a lucky case. He may very well have been retired and SEGA meant it wholeheartedly. But then the cat became a meme with a good deal of help from their social media guy, who seemingly can do whatever the hell he wants and suddenly Big had some worth to his existence that made SEGA quietly change their mind in that regard. Cream may not be so lucky. But as you point out, she does still regularly get Sonic Channel artwork every year, so you still got a major point. Sorry about the drama, and I'll try to chill out 

So, to try and change the topic for the better... What are y'all excited for in the Chao Racing story? Besides just being a short and fun story after the Zombot saga lol I personally can't wait to see Cream and Rouge's interactions And Amy hopefully being the energetic girl she was back on the Adventure Era

19 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

To be fair this person. The ONLY reason big exists is that he's a meme among the staff, not even the fanbase just the staff. And he still despite gets rather negative reception from the fanbase from time to time. Cream has never been a meme, has always been contentious in a way her fan base can not  counter balance and I don't think sonic channel art work amounts to anything. Shadow's chao has sonic channel art work, gemrel has sonic channel art work. One doesn't exist and the other outside of the comic has all been phased out. Its a very valid fear and i think you are underplaying it to try and tone down discussion.

I also think its a valid fear because I dunno about cream but it actually seems like they maybe trying to phase some characters out. IMO anyway

• Thumbs Up 1

Since it seems like I'm not getting Shadow doing stupid stuff; I at least am interested on who this Clutch guy is. 

Its funny though, because the last time Rouge, Amy, and Cream interacted was in Treasure Team Tango about ten years ago, and it was much less friendly terms. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

11 minutes ago, Kaotic Kanine said:

What are y'all excited for in the Chao Racing story?

I just wanna say that I'll be really disappointed if my favorite character that was introduced in Adventure 2 doesn't make an appearance in this arc... I'm talking about Chaclon of course

chaclon.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

To be fair this person. The ONLY reason big exists is that he's a meme among the staff, not even the fanbase just the staff. And he still despite gets rather negative reception from the fanbase from time to time. Cream has never been a meme and I don't think sonic channel art work amounts to anything. Shadow's chao has sonic channel art work, gemrel has sonic channel art work. One doesn't exist and the other outside of the comic has all been phased out. Its a very valid fear and i think you are underplaying it to try and tone down discussion.

The very fact that they have Sonic Channel artwork, and the fact that Sega have approved of their appearance in the current comic is all of the validation you need. Once again, if they were going to be "phased out" they'd be gone. There's no if ands and buts about this, and is an irrational fear born from nothing. 

Seriously can we drop this now, because it's getting ridiculous. 

8 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

The very fact that they have Sonic Channel artwork, and the fact that Sega have approved of their appearance in the current comic is all of the validation you need. Once again, if they were going to be "phased out" they'd be gone. There's no if ands and buts about this, and is an irrational fear born from nothing. 

Seriously can we drop this now, because it's getting ridiculous. 

There are plenty of if and and buts actually. Have you like engaged with media like this before, because there are tiers of " Hey we aren't really using this character anymore "

Obviously cream isn't quite " This is horribly embarrassing we aren't even going to reference this tier"

She does align with " maybe she doesn't gel with what we want to do with the franchise tier , and we don't plan on doing anything with her so she's for the most part isn't going to be around or referenced" and that's a form of phasing out as well. And its a pretty valid fear.

Sega approves things that they have NO PLANS on using and if you deny that you are actually being disingenuous I can go back to this very comic along with the comic previous and point out specific examples of Ian being able to use shit sega has no plans on using but isn't horribly embarrassing so they will allow it.

Ian Flynn well tell you his dang self that just because a thing shows up in the book doesn't necessarily means its actually going to be used let alone be canon in any capacity

• Thumbs Up 1

Not that I don't appreciate your input on this subject, Shadowlax. Because I do appreciate and can agree with your thoughts here lol 

But let's seriously just drop it. I've derailed the Archie Sonic thread multiple times over Cream, I don't wish to derail IDW over her. Especially since I'm actually satisfied with how she had been utilized in this comic compared to its predecessor; just miffed at Gemerl taking up the spotlight, but I may have thought he took too much than he actually did. Besides, that subject goes beyond the comics and would probably be better suited as its own thread. Key word being "probably" because, as Kuzu states and I must admit, it's based on irrational fear and nothing

I don't think the fear is irrational, Its just a distrust of the corporation to provide you what you want if you feel you aren't as fiscally viable to their world view as other fans. But I'll drop it

I'm curious as if they will do more game tie ins

I actually liked the TSR one as simple as it was

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

There are plenty of if and and buts actually. Have you like engaged with media like this before, because there are tiers of " Hey we aren't really using this character anymore "

Obviously cream isn't quite " This is horribly embarrassing we aren't even going to reference this tier"

She does align with " maybe she doesn't gel with what we want to do with the franchise tier , and we don't plan on doing anything with her so she's for the most part isn't going to be around or referenced" and that's a form of phasing out as well. And its a pretty valid fear.

Sega approves things that they have NO PLANS on using and if you deny that you are actually being disingenuous I can go back to this very comic along with the comic previous and point out specific examples of Ian being able to use shit sega has no plans on using but isn't horribly embarrassing so they will allow it.

Ian Flynn well tell you his dang self that just because a thing shows up in the book doesn't necessarily means its actually going to be used let alone be canon in any capacity

If they wanted Cream gone, she'd be gone. End of discussion. I'm not talking about this anymore because it's stupid. If you want to keep entertaining this line of thought, then be my guest, because I don't really give a damn anymore. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

Thing aren't as black and white with corporations. Particularly entertainment entities.  I'll leave it at that

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

Since it seems like I'm not getting Shadow doing stupid stuff; I at least am interested on who this Clutch guy is. 

Its funny though, because the last time Rouge, Amy, and Cream interacted was in Treasure Team Tango about ten years ago, and it was much less friendly terms. 

Yeah, I'm curious about Clutch too. Could this be an evil counterpart for Cream? Or just a shady Chao trainer?  

Indeed lol Of course, TTT was hardly ever renown for its characterization of Rouge. Here's hoping this arc does Rouge tagging along Amy and Cream a whole lot better

i bet Ian Flynn wishes he never wrote the metal virus saga at this point.....feels extremely awkward during the covid-19 situation if you ask me

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Iko said:

I don't know why, but I'm under the impression that the fact that the story was planned to be Cream-Rouge-Shadow and now apparently became Cream-Rouge-Amy could mean that it's Amy that may steal the spotlight from Cream and not Gemerl.

BTW I think that Gemerl is to Cream what Chaos is to Tikal... I think that the two characters are very similar, except that one is a ghost who lived in ancient times, while the other exists in the present and has less experience and knownledge of the world because of being way younger.

Ooh, that's a cool way of looking at it 

13 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

So gemril being around despicably in the absence of her chao makes sense... to me anyway.

All that said if you say wanted to make a complaint to how all the in game girl characters seem to be largely relegated to side rolls even amy sometimes and the only that commands presence is often trapped on another planet and that sucks. I'll agree with you on that broader scale yes, infact its my main fear with tangle and whisper getting close to games among other fears. But like with cream specifically I don't quite see the issue.

Uh, did you mean to use that word or...?

And yes, that is of great concern. 

3 hours ago, Kaotic Kanine said:

1) I'm not saying I want Cream to be a "uber badass who could wipe the floor with Shadow" or any of that crap. I'd rather she NOT become such a character. I understand if that's the impression I give off, given my posts in the past... But no. 

And I want Cream to be shown fighting by her own capability more because not only is this an action franchise (in which non-combat characters are the most minor of the cast at best, and obviously I want Cream to be in the major leagues at least) but Cream's most memorable moments are when she fights.   

I don't remember why, but this reminds of some conversation or thought that resulted in me thinking of that one scene in Force except with Cream in place or Silver. 

Creamhas had a surge of popularity in recent years because her OP status in her playable appearances came to light to the masses, who subsequently had fun with it. And be honest, what moments of Sonic X!Cream do you even remember of her? That time she and Cheese fought and destroyed Emerl, and the odd confrontational moments throughout the show (be it direct combat or simply calling out Chris on dissing his own mother)? Or the rest of Cream's appearances in Sonic X? 

Of course, I'd be all good with Cream not fighting at all if she had some way to still be useful and/or cool in the major cast without doing so ("cool" is the key thing here. And before you try to tell me otherwise, you CAN have characters who are both cute and cool. Look no further than, say, Pikachu). Such as being a the definitive healer of the main cast, providing the combatants crucial support via eliminating injuries, defending them from further harm, and so on. But outside of Sonic Chronicles, that is not the case for Cream, and so her best bet to remain with the major cast (let alone not be retired like Mighty, Ray, and the other Classic characters had been) is to fight. Because ultimately that's the only way for a recurring major character in Sonic to contribute in a story.

[He's right you know image].

Look no further than Jewel in IDW: can any of you see her as a major character with her non-combat, civilian role? Not unless a given story is conjured to give that character some importance. And I'm simply wanting for Cream to avoid that fate.

2) I am satisfied with Cream's moment in Issue 27, nor do I think she was short changed. I have nitpicks, of course, but after the extreme frustration of Reboot Archie as a whole, I couldn't be more thankful to Issue 27 as a whole for what it did for Cream. Or more accurately allowed her to do.

Granted, maybe I'm just being irrationally resentful of Gemerl for the same reason I had become resentful of Sally in Post-Reboot Archie. Not helped by Gemerl literally doing what Sally did in Issue 26... All I can say is that I want Cream to stand out on her own and not get talked down to by other characters, since the opposite case isn't doing her character any favors. Sally was the most frequent offender in Post-Reboot, denying Cream from taking any action because "it's too dangerous" (nevermind Cream's canonical involvement in the no less dangerous events of Advance 2 & 3, Heroes, Battle, and Rush) and taking over Cream's few moments of action (namely the climax to Issue 267, in which Cream's initiative to rescue the Freedom Fighters was overshadowed by Sally's "sympathy sobbing"). Gemerl committed the 'talking down to' with his own "it's too dangerous" in Issue 26, and his presence alone garnered more attention from fans in Issue 18 and Issue 27, both issues that were meant to be Cream's stories.

I still think Archie was down to unfortunate timing/pacing more than anything.

The conceit of that character arc/interaction between Cream & Sally was choice and the two notable instances I can think of make sense with that arc in the context of Unleashed & how it would pay off in mind. That said, World's Unite really did screw it up, as not only does it mess with Sally's place in that (even if it makes perfect sense given the stakes of Act 2), but then we suddenly jump to Cream along on pretty intense mission with no comment or better yet, no transition.

Overall, Cream benefits from something like the Freedom Fighters more than any game character besides maybe Tails and like with any good idea given shaoe, it was the execution that let it down.

So I'm sorry if I'm rather irritated with the robot right now. I'm trying not to, taking into consideration Gemerl's own lengthy absence from the franchise, but for once I'd like for Cream not to be overshadowed by a "generic badass" character, and I feel Gemerl has interfered with that. Hence I'm not looking forward to his presence in the Chao Racing story and voicing my concerns so things don't degrade for Cream in the one medium that's allowing her a chance, in light of the games completely abandoning her coughcouchTeamSonicRacingcoughcough 

In think regardless if anyone's stance on this, we can at least recognize that this is ultimately borne of unfortunate (?) context. Gemerl being there at all is not bad, but as you(or in most other cases, Kuzu) were likely bothered by, the fact that he's notably present as a fourth/fifth/six wheel in a sneak peak of what is obstensibly a low stakes story(ergo, pretty sure Clutch isn't much to worry about) about three somewhat unlikely characters hanging out can inadvertently send the wrong message about the content.

And that's what it is at the end of the day: an out of context panel that's only in the pencil stage. So while you're not wrong to raise an issue with something that bugged you personally, we must keep in mind that it's honestly not a big deal. It'd be different if it was, like, a main cover.

2 hours ago, Kaotic Kanine said:

Leaving a character out if something that screams perfect for them tends to do that. That Omochai honestly sounded like Cream through a filter at first didn't help.

3 hours ago, Kuzu said:

Once again, I still think you're being overly paranoid over nothing dude. 

This is a side of the discussion that's kinda valid and necessary for it to be an actual ...discussion.

That said, of the people who could be leading this side of the argument, it probably shouldn't be you.

2 hours ago, thumbs13 said:

That's totally a valid fear, but I think if Sega allowed cream to be in IDW to begin with when they aren't allowing Marine or Infinite to be in it, it means they have some hope for her.

Infinite not being available at least makes sense for a number of reasons.

It's Marine that's the more ambiguous case even as far as Sega themselves go, which at absolute best makes you wonder.

2 hours ago, Kuzu said:

She was also absent from Forces, now that you mention it.

Also, Big really was retiredfrom the games  until fairly recently though, down to completed recordings for Generations evidently being purged and his only appearances for years being Archie(which used other officially retired chracters) & kitchen sink phone games. It was only some combination of his popularity online and the low number of power type characters that openly brought him back for TSR.

• Thumbs Up 2

----------------------------------------------

Don'cha love how replying takes so long that a conversation can end right as you doing in?

Also, double posting

2 hours ago, Kaotic Kanine said:

So, to try and change the topic for the better... What are y'all excited for in the Chao Racing story? Besides just being a short and fun story after the Zombot saga lol I personally can't wait to see Cream and Rouge's interactions And Amy hopefully being the energetic girl she was back on the Adventure Era

Just seeing Cream in what could be her forte is an automatic approval. Seeing her interact with Rougeand Shadow of all people earns an accolade.

2 hours ago, Kuzu said:

34710-1536682367-12482-list_items-ezgif.

Oh yeah, they were in that...as direct enemies. Man have things changed.

2 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

To be fair this person. The ONLY reason big exists is that he's a meme among the staff, not even the fanbase just the staff. And he still despite gets rather negative reception from the fanbase from time to time. Cream has never been a meme, has always been contentious in a way her fan base can not  counter balance and I don't think sonic channel art work amounts to anything. Shadow's chao has sonic channel art work, gemrel has sonic channel art work. One doesn't exist and the other outside of the comic has all been phased out. Its a very valid fear and i think you are underplaying it to try and tone down discussion.

I also think its a valid fear because I dunno about cream but it actually seems like they maybe trying to phase some characters out. IMO anyway

I wouldn't say phased out so much as immediately forgotten. Remember, Rush came out not long after.

2 hours ago, NeoZDuwang said:

I just wanna say that I'll be really disappointed if my favorite character that was introduced in Adventure 2 doesn't make an appearance in this arc... I'm talking about Chaclon of course

chaclon.jpg

Look at that smug little stinker

Yeah, I'm curious about Clutch too. Could this be an evil counterpart for Cream? Or just a shady Chao trainer?  

Why not both?

Indeed lol Of course, TTT was hardly ever renown for its characterization of Rouge. Here's hoping this arc does Rouge tagging along Amy and Cream a whole lot better

I mean technically, that had Blaze as the tag along with Rouge ad the antagonist.

Why not both?

I mean technically, that had Blaze as the tag along with Rouge ad the antagonist.

• Thumbs Up 1

I understand this topic is over, but I need to write this before I forget:

3 hours ago, Kaotic Kanine said:

Granted, maybe I'm just being irrationally resentful of Gemerl for the same reason I had become resentful of Sally in Post-Reboot Archie. Not helped by Gemerl literally doing what Sally did in Issue 26... All I can say is that I want Cream to stand out on her own and not get talked down to by other characters, since the opposite case isn't doing her character any favors. Sally was the most frequent offender in Post-Reboot, denying Cream from taking any action because "it's too dangerous" (nevermind Cream's canonical involvement in the no less dangerous events of Advance 2 & 3, Heroes, Battle, and Rush) and taking over Cream's few moments of action (namely the climax to Issue 267, in which Cream's initiative to rescue the Freedom Fighters was overshadowed by Sally's "sympathy sobbing"). Gemerl committed the 'talking down to' with his own "it's too dangerous" in Issue 26, and his presence alone garnered more attention from fans in Issue 18 and Issue 27, both issues that were meant to be Cream's stories. 

Didn't Ian explain (initially) back then that Cream wasn't participating/Sally was denying because of her age? Or isn't trained to fight like Tails & Charmy?

I vaguely remember being annoyed by that. Even the recent Bumblekast had Ian and Kyle express confusion and annoyance at their age (which, if you've been a Sonic fan long enough should know, doesn't reflect RL and is an ambiguous stat to fill in their bio).

At least Gemerl being over-protective makes more sense. He's like a personal butler/bodyguard. Though I agree he shouldn't be too focused on over Cream.

• Thumbs Up 2