Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

I like the fact that issues #31-#34 sound like they'll be fairly light affairs, while I get the feeling the Bad Guys mini-series is going to be where we see some more world building and building uptowards the next big storyline. I think it'll be nice, especially if they do stick to the tentative release dates. If #34 does come out 14th October, that'll be 5 issues of the main book within less than 3 months, but y'know, I guess we'll see if those dates stick.

As for #29, I enjoyed it. It doesn't really bother me that there isn't much of a fight with Zavok, but then I don't think it was ever really building up to it. I think the point of #29 is just reaching that very climatic point as Sonic and co just manage to save the day at the very last second and restore everything. I like seeing everyone at their end, but also that moment when everyone is just celebrating. Rouge wanting to spend her last moments with the Master Emerald is hilarious, but Whisper hugging Tangle is adorable and probably a moment for all those Tangle x Whisper shippers out there. (Tansper? Whisgle? Tanger?)

Be nice to see #30 as a wrap up issue, but overall, I've enjoyed this arc. I do think that this arc maybe appreciated abit more in hindsight, especially when COVID-19 is just a distant memory. And I'm still excited to see the future of IDW Sonic.

For characters voicing the comic characters, I could hear Tangle as being either Kath Soucie or Erin Fitzgerald. Both can do a cartoon energetic teenager with a rough edge to their voice, even if Soucie is exponentially older. I hear Tangle sounding tomboyish, but unashamed of her femininity.

Whisper would obviously be a LOT quieter and soft-spoken, I imagine her voice to be deep but not raspy.

Jewel always sounds nervous. Although she is young, her voice sounds much older, almost akin to the voice of a librarian however pitched up due to her small size.

Starline is more flamboyant and proud, with a non-descript European accent. Almost sounds like any generic Yu-Gi-Oh! villain.

Rough and Tumble sound like buff thugs. Rough is squeaky and raspy that I could hear Richard Horvitz, while Tumble is deeper and sounds a bit "dumber," kinda like Grounder from AoSTH but more thuggish and deeper.

Mimic is a deeper, older and raspier voice. Could even hear Fred Tatasciore, something similar to his role of Soldier 76.

If I were a writer for SEGA and I were incapable of portraying Shadow as anything more than a paper-thing jerkass idiot? I’d rather keep him in the background than wrestle with the license holders so that I could portray him as a rounded character. 

For some reason Tangle will always be Linda Cardelini in my head. Starline I hear Derek Stephen Prince and I don't really have any hard voices for anyone else.

Not sure if it was brought up, but the original cover of #30 featured ABT's sheep fan character before she was edited out. Also turns out the sheep girl is called Lanolin, although honestly it just makes me want to nickname her Lambchop instead. She still doesn't have a page on the wiki but I like to keep an eye out for this easter egg, for whatever reason.

zsyUQRk.png

jWP5wlh.jpg

Spoiler
On 4/30/2020 at 3:54 PM, Silvereyes said:

So a bit random, but I was wondering, do we have a definitive list of all the times sheep girl has turned up in the IDW run so far? Just kindof curious really, I know she turns up a few times as a background character.

Issue #2: kCHR31U.jpg

Issue #13: SbC0aEK.jpg

Issue #24: nFXWWIl.jpg

Issue #25: KnSSiab.jpg

Issue #26: uk3SppL.jpg

Issue #30 Cover (Rejected): 950JNGz.jpg

It honestly baffles me how SEGA can be so hypersensitive to some criticisms yet totally deaf to others. Like, once '06 came out and people started bitching about about multiple characters, plots, and 3D gameplay they turned around and made the very next game to enter production Sonic only, light on plot, and a 2D/3D hybrid with completely different gameplay. Yet, after 19 years of trying to remind them that Knuckles is supposed to be the guardian of the Master Emerald and a decade of expressing displeasure with Shadow the Dickhead we still haven't seen any concerted effort to correct course.

IDW Knuckles has been on Angel Island and dedicated to his duty guarding the Master Emerald since the end of the Neo Metal Sonic battle and did not appear again until issue 25 where he was still doing his job.

16 hours ago, calamityCons said:

If I were a writer for SEGA and I were incapable of portraying Shadow as anything more than a paper-thing jerkass idiot? I’d rather keep him in the background than wrestle with the license holders so that I could portray him as a rounded character. 

9 hours ago, Kuzu said:

That doesn't really work since Shadow is a popular character regardless of how Sega wants to portray him.

...So?

If SEGA is so particular about what is done with him, then just continue focusing on other stuff while tossing different ideas in the background to see what concessions can be had.

8 hours ago, Silvereyes said:

Not sure if it was brought up, but the original cover of #30 featured ABT's sheep fan character before she was edited out. Also turns out the sheep girl is called Lanolin, although honestly it just makes me want to nickname her Lambchop instead. She still doesn't have a page on the wiki but I like to keep an eye out for this easter egg, for whatever reason.

zsyUQRk.png

jWP5wlh.jpg

Hide contents

Oh, that was probably a bad move.

Mr Flynn mentioned previously how trying to make her an actual character could strike a wrong chord with SEGA and low & behold.

Question for anyone who collects physical issues, have you seen and/or own the retail incentive cover for #22? I've been wanting to get my hands on one for awhile, but I can't seem to even find it for some absurdly high price. I'm starting to think it never existed lol
latest.png 

56 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Mr Flynn mentioned previously how trying to make her an actual character could strike a wrong chord with SEGA and low & behold.

Well clearly Sega can’t strike a decent chord if it stabbed them in the ear if that’s the case. I can’t see any problem with making Lanolin an actual character.

20 minutes ago, yuupi said:

Question for anyone who collects physical issues, have you seen and/or own the retail incentive cover for #22? I've been wanting to get my hands on one for awhile, but I can't seem to even find it for some absurdly high price. I'm starting to think it never existed lol
latest.png 

What was Eggman supposed to be again?

Also, what's going on with Knuckles?

2 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Well clearly Sega can’t strike a decent chord if it stabbed them in the ear if that’s the case. I can’t see any problem with making Lanolin an actual character.

The problem is Sega didn't approve her design.

9 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

What was Eggman supposed to be again?

Also, what's going on with Knuckles?

Eggman I think is loosely based on his original design, back when he was going to be the protagonist. As for Knuckles, his mummy costume might be based on this artwork from 2017.

3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

It reminds me of one of the recent Bumblekast:

Ian was able to sneak in risky/off-limit ideas in Post-Archie because he intentionally left information out when sent to Sega (Kyle jokingly says "Well, it's not lying if you don't tell them!"). In Archie things were approved in-house, so all they had to do was word it in a way to get it approved in Japan then do their thing in-house without telling Sega further. But now, everything is approved by Sega. From character designs—Tangle, Whisper+her mask, Starline, Mimic+his age, the Skunk bros.—to the plot and characterization. They can't use their old shady clever methods anymore.

If they did, they'd probably lose trust and lead to tighter restrictions.

2 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

If Sega saw the fan reactions and decided to give a try, that's nice. But redesign would probably be unavoidable. She was allowed to appear as she is because she was a background cameo.

There's also the fact some people can see that as "anyone involved in the comic can get their oc canon as long as the readers like it" and not like it.

6 hours ago, DabigRG said:

That's a shame. Still, would be kindof nice if sheep girl sticks around as a background character. Would be nice to have that as a sortof IDW recurring easter egg, although I guess that would mean ABT giving permission to the other artists to use her.

#justiceforlampchop

Just now, PC the Hedgehog said:

I'm ready for the book to slow down, personally. It's been non stop "epic" storylines since the first issue. Time for the characters to just relax, breathe, and have some more lighthearted adventures.

I mean if they made another one, they’d risk burning themselves out anyway. Don’t want risk exhausting the writing with another apocalypse.

Makes me all the more upset Archie ended before they reached their own relaxation period—at least it ended on a helluva high note tho.

Just now, PC the Hedgehog said:

I'm ready for the book to slow down, personally. It's been non stop "epic" storylines since the first issue. Time for the characters to just relax, breathe, and have some more lighthearted adventures.

I mean if they made another one, they’d risk burning themselves out anyway. Don’t want risk exhausting the writing with another apocalypse.

Makes me all the more upset Archie ended before they reached their own relaxation period—at least it ended on a helluva high note tho.

8 hours ago, DabigRG said:

...So?

If SEGA is so particular about what is done with him, then just continue focusing on other stuff while tossing different ideas in the background to see what concessions can be had.

The wheels of capitalism turn whether you are ready or not. Ian has to answer to multiple sets of corporate overlords both of whom are probably into that really popular guy showing up in the thing they sell.

5 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

It reminds me of one of the recent Bumblekast:

Ian was able to sneak in risky/off-limit ideas in Post-Archie because he intentionally left information out when sent to Sega (Kyle jokingly says "Well, it's not lying if you don't tell them!"). In Archie things were approved in-house, so all they had to do was word it in a way to get it approved in Japan then do their thing in-house without telling Sega further. But now, everything is approved by Sega. From character designs—Tangle, Whisper+her mask, Starline, Mimic+his age, the Skunk bros.—to the plot and characterization. They can't use their old shady clever methods anymore.

If they did, they'd probably lose trust and lead to tighter restrictions.

If Sega saw the fan reactions and decided to give a try, that's nice. But redesign would probably be unavoidable. She was allowed to appear as she is because she was a background cameo.

I feel two ways. On one hand I feel like it can be really restrictive and suck. But on the other hand, i look at the era of comic that would eventually cause these mandates and go "No yeah i get it "

5 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

There's also the fact some people can see that as "anyone involved in the comic can get their oc canon as long as the readers like it" and not like it.

And that's a pretty justified thing to not like.