Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Having now read the new issue, I wanted to circle back to what I said about Amy and Eggman earlier:

Spoiler

It's even more clear why Eggman kicked Amy into Big here - Amy jumped in to protect Eggman from Zombot Big, only to discover that her hammer did no damage to him. Eggman and Amy were still cornered by Big, and thus to get himself out of the situation, Eggman selfishly kicked Amy into him so Big would be too busy infecting her, while he could make a run for it, hence why he says to her that she "did plenty" before dashing off.

It's also why it's some serious poetic justice that Eggman ended up getting infected by Froggy of all people.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Jack out of the comics! said:

Meanwhile the Sonic livestream quite explicitly said the wicked witch and her munchkins are dead. Finally some good news.

1 hour ago, Silvereyes said:

Who are they?

Yeah, what the hell is this about?

4 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

But it will happen in hundred of years, so it's arbitrary information for current events. It only shoehorns connection to Silver's future.

Considering how close they were to losing, that’s anything but arbitrary given how it was foreshadowed—COVID-19 aside, I thought it was great foreshadowing given how long they kept the cause a secret until they approached the climax, giving an extra sense urgency and stakes, as if they fail at this moment, it’s over for the entire world and irreversible by that point. 

Also makes Silver that much key to dealing with it too given his earlier warnings and showing that being infected is the second worst thing compared to what’ll happen next—a soulless drone who can’t do anything about their fate and is stuck like that for 200 years is damn grim.

2 hours ago, Silvereyes said:

Who are they?

Likely Wendy Witchcart and her lackeys, I’m assuming. Which I’m not happy to hear, if true, given how I was looking forward to seeing what part she could‘ve played—I suppose it’s naught since Starline was used to retrieve the Magic Conch in her place, but still.

Tho I suppose her crystalmancy would’ve made dealing with the virus a bit too easy given she could just crystallize them in place.

If not them, then yeah, no clue who that’s referring to.

Everyone keeps using word "foreshadowing" and I'm forced to look up dictionary, because either me or you aren't using this properly.

"Foreshadowing occurs in a literary text when the author gives clues and hints about what is to come ".

So Silver's future? Sure, that can count as foreshadowing. Zombies will turn into goop? Not really.

Connection between Metal Virus and Silver's future was guessable and down right said out loud in #20. So, no, this information doesn't foreshadow anything or even extra stakes. I stand by what I said "By the way zombies will turn into goop" is hasty addition that seems  to only correct mistake Flynn did. Nothing more.

Just to be clear, I'm not complaining at very idea of Silver future, just the "zombies will disintegrate" part, that is added very poorly. And even then, it's mostly a nerdy nitpick on my part.

It was to add an element of mystery "Why are there metal trees? Where are the people? Why is  there no one?"

14 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

It was to add an element of mystery "Why are there metal trees? Where are the people? Why is  there no one?"

You're still missing my point by the mile. EXPLANATION sucks. Not the setup.

Setup with future is fine. No one there, spooky. Adds a little drama and keeps Silver around. Good.
Then zombies show. Zombies are threat, they destroy everything, evil future makes sense. Good.
"But wait, why there was no zombies in the future?" "Uuuuuu, zombies will turn into goop". That's the lazy half-assed part. This info has no bearing on the story, no impact, just there to fill out the plothole.

• Thumbs Up 1

Do you have any suggestions for how else that information could have been conveyed so as not to seem like a tacked on addition to you?

• Thumbs Up 1

Release dates for Issue 30 and 31 have changed btw:

Issue 30 is releasing on August 19th 2020 and Issue 31 is releasing on August 26th 2020.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Everyone keeps using word "foreshadowing" and I'm forced to look up dictionary, because either me or you aren't using this properly.

"Foreshadowing occurs in a literary text when the author gives clues and hints about what is to come ".

So Silver's future? Sure, that can count as foreshadowing. Zombies will turn into goop? Not really.

And why is Silver’s future the way it is?

Connection between Metal Virus and Silver's future was guessable and down right said out loud in #20. So, no, this information doesn't foreshadow anything or even extra stakes.

That’s the foreshadow, dude: something about the Metal Virus in the present leads to Silver’s bleak future, and is the reason he’s still around to help fix things before it happens. And the answer connecting the foreshadow is the Zombots turning to dust 200 years later when Silver returns as the world’s sole survivor. I don’t see how the answer being that simple makes it lazy or half-assed.

Predictable? Maybe, but I sure as hell didn’t guess it anymore than I would’ve guess the Metal Virus being a new form of roboticization had Archie continued. Zombots turning to dust being the fate and the explanation behind it that results in it wasn’t said out loud until issues later. For all anyone knew, rather than self destructing, someone might’ve attempted a cure only to kill them and the zombots in the attempt, or intentionally wiped themselves along with the zombots out in a last ditch effort not to be infected (in bleak settings like a zombie apocalypse, choosing to die rather than be infected isn’t unheard of). Or with the Zeti’s getting involved, who knew what they could’ve done to them instead after infecting the world.

4 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

You're still missing my point by the mile. EXPLANATION sucks. Not the setup.

Setup with future is fine. No one there, spooky. Adds a little drama and keeps Silver around. Good.
Then zombies show. Zombies are threat, they destroy everything, evil future makes sense. Good.
"But wait, why there was no zombies in the future?" "Uuuuuu, zombies will turn into goop". That's the lazy half-assed part. This info has no bearing on the story, no impact, just there to fill out the plothole.

It's not a plothole if it was answered five issues later. That's just called telling a story. 

The only purpose the zombots' disintegration seems to serve is to give a reason why Silver is involved without spoiling the existence of zombots before they appear, but explaining it doesn't do anything to advance the story at the point it's revealed. Disintegration or not, everything we care about is fucked if they don't stop it from spreading, which is why it feels like hole-patching rather than moving things forward.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

I mean its technically a plot hole in the sense of " how did silver survive , how does silver's time travel even work " . But overall its just kind of uninteresting. '

2 hours ago, Wonderworld Ultima said:

Release dates for Issue 30 and 31 have changed btw:

Issue 30 is releasing on August 19th 2020 and Issue 31 is releasing on August 26th 2020.

Previewsworld shows that Issue 31 is pushed to September 2nd.

15 hours ago, Diogenes said:

The only purpose the zombots' disintegration seems to serve is to give a reason why Silver is involved without spoiling the existence of zombots before they appear, but explaining it doesn't do anything to advance the story at the point it's revealed. Disintegration or not, everything we care about is fucked if they don't stop it from spreading, which is why it feels like hole-patching rather than moving things forward.

YES! That's perfect summary what I meant.

18 hours ago, calamityCons said:

Do you have any suggestions for how else that information could have been conveyed so as not to seem like a tacked on addition to you?

Now that's a very good question. Constructive criticism is always better than just complaining.

The challenge is for Silver future to be bad without him knowing about Zombots. Ussually Silver either knows exactly whats going on or blurts "records of this era are blurry".

Simple answer: Forget the whole water thing, planet is just empty. Zavok would claim that Earth/Mobius is just beginning and he will take Zombots to conquer galaxies. Considering he's already from another planet-thing it's not illogical claim. It doesn't really  advances the plot (I guess it elevates the treat, but very slightly) but at least it doesn't shoe-horns new science information.

Hard answer: Starline found a way for Zombots to turn into goop, but it will start working after unknown amount of time. He didn't wanted to use it, but when D6 turn on them, he sees it as only logical course of action. Heroes try to stop him, but they are to late, he activates it (I imagine Sonic would try to stop him, but can't without touching him). So his plan is to just wait out until Zombots are no more. Of course Sonic and his friend are against genocide so they go with Topaz plan. Zeti aren't aware they army is temporary, but they will reach Angel Island before effects start.
The only problem is now why Eggman would help Sonic, rather than go with Starline's plan. Pride? Some last straws of humanity? Or maybe Silver points out that in his future no one is there, so Starline's machination will work only after whole planet gets infected, thus killing everyone.

I thought I made a post here last night, but I guess that's personal confusion for ya. At least you'll decided to use constructive criticism on the little matter you were talking about.

Anyway, what type of animal do you think Clutch will be?

Hole-patching or otherwise, the disintegration of the Zombots and Silver’s future still flow with the pace of the arc.

And let’s be real and honest about this—if they didn’t reveal that foreshadow, there’d be a bigger fuss over why Silver was even relevant and over what the point was for Silver’s future being devoid of life if it went unanswered. The arc was going on long enough as it was, mostly due to the pandemic causing delays, they did well enough to keep the pace as tight as it was without leaving too many dangling plot-threads, if any.

On 7/30/2020 at 6:28 PM, Jack out of the comics! said:

Meanwhile the Sonic livestream quite explicitly said the wicked witch and her munchkins are dead. Finally some good news.

On 7/30/2020 at 9:42 PM, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Likely Wendy Witchcart and her lackeys, I’m assuming. Which I’m not happy to hear, if true, given how I was looking forward to seeing what part she could‘ve played—I suppose it’s naught since Starline was used to retrieve the Magic Conch in her place, but still.

Tho I suppose her crystalmancy would’ve made dealing with the virus a bit too easy given she could just crystallize them in place.

If not them, then yeah, no clue who that’s referring to.

Anyone ever figure out whether this was really what that was about?

Speaking of that whole "eventual disintegration" of the Zombots, I can't help but wonder how Ian is going to justify the heroes not killing Eggman after this whole event. Like, obviously Eggman can't be killed because he's the primary villain of this whole franchise lol But from the perspective of the characters in-universe... Eggman had already wrecked the world with a near complete takeover (and subsequently tried to drop the sun on the world just to kill off the Resistance). And then after being granted a second chance due to amnesia, Eggman went on to; create a mechanical virus that turns all organic matter into gooey robots that further traps sentient life into a fate worse than death, actively spread that abominable substance all across the planet with sadistic glee (starting with the town that granted him hospitality in the first place), and it then turns out that Eggman's actions would've killed off all life on the planet in the most gruesome manner possible had it not been for Silver's incidental presence (but very much did succeed in the original timeline)

I mean, I don't intend to start a debate on ethics or push us into "edgy" territory 😅 Just saying, Eggman had solidified himself as too dangerous an individual to be allowed to live with the Metal Virus. And considering giving the doc a second chance due to amnesia led to the Metal Virus in the first place... Really, the only character I can see not actively out to kill Eggman is the younger characters (Tails, Cream, and Charmy). But they, even Cream, sure as hell would want Eggman dead lol

• Thumbs Up 2

31 minutes ago, Kaotic Kanine said:

Speaking of that whole "eventual disintegration" of the Zombots, I can't help but wonder how Ian is going to justify the heroes not killing Eggman after this whole event. Like, obviously Eggman can't be killed because he's the primary villain of this whole franchise lol But from the perspective of the characters in-universe... Eggman had already wrecked the world with a near complete takeover (and subsequently tried to drop the sun on the world just to kill off the Resistance). And then after being granted a second chance due to amnesia, Eggman went on to; create a mechanical virus that turns all organic matter into gooey robots that further traps sentient life into a fate worse than death, actively spread that abominable substance all across the planet with sadistic glee (starting with the town that granted him hospitality in the first place), and it then turns out that Eggman's actions would've killed off all life on the planet in the most gruesome manner possible had it not been for Silver's incidental presence (but very much did succeed in the original timeline)

I mean, I don't intend to start a debate on ethics or push us into "edgy" territory 😅 Just saying, Eggman had solidified himself as too dangerous an individual to be allowed to live with the Metal Virus. And considering giving the doc a second chance due to amnesia led to the Metal Virus in the first place... Really, the only character I can see not wanting Eggman dead is Cream, just cause she's so averse to that sort of thing. But even then, since she suffered tremendously from the Metal Virus and was directly afflicted by it, I can see her wanting that bastard gone too lol

I'm curious about this too...I won't say "kill" but it will be odd if they don't (try to) punish him somehow. In the game it's usually defeat the bad guy and happy end. But there were too much emphasis on horror/pain this time, and several murder/punishing attempts already in the comics. Like Whisper, who tried to snipe him dead when she lost Tangle. Is it gonna be okay now because she's back? 

I wonder if this will be treated the same as any other threat by Eggman, or will bring something permanent.

(I remember reading this was originally an idea for Archie before cancellation. That makes sense, it's more in-character for Archie Eggman while answering the "why aren't the hero's killing this guy" question.)

• Thumbs Up 3

It really is a weird thing about the game to address and/or play around going forward.

Of course, he isn't going to be writing much after the next two issues and Eggman will stop being prelevent for a while, so it remains to be seen.

55 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

(I remember reading this was originally an idea for Archie before cancellation. That makes sense, it's more in-character for Archie Eggman while answering the "why aren't the hero's killing this guy" question.)

Adding onto that, the Metal Virus would've been something that Eggman allowed to be field tested in Tralius some time after the Shattered World Crisis before unleashing it. There wasn't a whole War for the planet that got hundreds killed and an amnesia episode that saw his life fought over beforehand.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KoDaiko said:

Like Whisper, who tried to snipe him dead when she lost Tangle. Is it gonna be okay now because she's back? 

Prior to that, Whisper was content enough to let Mimic rot in a cell - and that guy strait up murdered her entire family. 

It wouldn't be wrong of her to fall back on that belief. The Snipe attempt was moreso born out of the desperation of the situation rather than her personal code of ethics.

28 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Oh, I just thought of it: Now that the Metal Virus Saga is basically over, which of the two main arcs is better?

I'd say the first one. It had more introductions (Tangle, Whisper, Starline, and the skunk brothers), a sense of mystery ( such as the whereabouts of Eggman, the leader of the current empire, etc.), better pacing (imo) and Super Neo Metal.

Metal Virus had sluggish pacing up until the end , less introductions, dark for the sake of being dark, and an admittedly a less cool final boss. You also knew that everyone's gonna get better at the end, so there's barely any surprise factor.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Oh, I just thought of it: Now that the Metal Virus Saga is basically over, which of the two main arcs is better?

Easily Metal virus. The desperation, seeing heroes actually struggle. and for a moment seem like they were going to lose. Though you know they were going to win the pacing was great to me. and not some typical cartoon of today where some big issue is resolved in one episode or two. Sonic was pushed to the edge and i loved it. Even at the end when he told metal "up" you could tell he was beyond tired. Even when he ran at the last moment you could tell he was hurting. The hero that loves to run was tired for once. He could not keep it up.  And I would not say dark for sake of it. Sometimes its good to have dark moments in series that have been around for a long time. I started with sonic. At 30 its nice to see  moments like this rather than the meme fest say colors was or tossed in cringe like tails saying "true dat". But i could go on much longer with dark stories and all that. Bottom line is you have to go all in like in this arc. Dark but had a few :FEW: funny moments in the darkness. Whereas say forces it hardly felt like anything was at stake or any real threat with sonic still cracking jokes in his cell. It will be awhile before we get another dark moment in the comics im sure as Evan pointed out going forward its mostly going to be light hearted goodness and a few touching moments with a tad of drama. So the usual sonic fare for awhile.

• Thumbs Up 3

10 hours ago, DabigRG said:

I’m going with the Metal Virus.

The sluggish pacing was mostly due to the pandemic—when you read the issues after another, the pacing is pretty compact. (Also probably helped that I had other things going on that drew my attention, so I guess that made me more patient than others here)

Another disclaimer—I’m mostly sick of Zombie Apocalypse stories due to how that was overdone In the media at one period in the past practically as a fad. I suppose what made this somewhat different was that this was more technology-based, tho I can’t really say for certain why this didn’t factor in and made me less interested due to it still being another Zombie Apocalypse.

Aside from Shadow, who was forced to be written in a way that wasn’t really in character, every character was acting at their best (or worst, if Eggman is anyone to go by) as things got more intense and desperate. Things weren’t easy for them to deal with, and so they were forced to really give their all and even sacrifice themselves for the greater good in hopes that things would return to normal as their numbers were reduced the more the virus spread.

And the the Deadly Six earn their name as deadly, even more so than they were in the piece of shit World’s Unite arc. Again, they’re among my absolute least like characters, but I had my faith that they were in good hands with Ian who would use them well and I was not disappointed in their inclusion. They still had their usual characteristics, but applied to the virus and the zombots made them far more dangerous than we’ve ever seen them. 

Basically, the Metal Virus arc is Sonic Forces done right. With Zombies.

It was definitely good to see what Archie could’ve been had it continued. No telling who among the Freedom Fighters would’ve gotten infected or how that would’ve affected the world there, but it’s still great to see Eggman’s newest method of roboticization— I really didn’t expect it to be a virus of all things.

• Thumbs Up 3