Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

The lack of buildup for Silver's involvement definitely could have been better. He's sidelined for most of the arc and he isn't given much focus for the payoff.

It's a pay off to an arc that never happens.

I find it funny how the infection seems to go through shoes and gloves too.

I mean, didn't Silver go into the future where everything was covered up by the metal virus? By using that logic, he landed on the grass so he should have been infected... unless he landed on some rock or something, or the virus mutated in a way that simple contact is not enough anymore to be infected.

Wouldn't have been cooler if Silver went back from the future as made of actual silver lol... also didn't Tails have a cure at some point? If silver can time-travel, couldn't they have just time-traveled to when Tails had a cure and protect the computer until it's done? Wouldn't it have been a way more interesting development than the magic trick that illogically ereases all the problems from the world all of a sudden?

The more I think about it "Zombots will disintegrate" is very strange plot point. It has absolutely zero importance to the story other than clearing up how Silver's future came to be. It kinda looks like Flynn had different plans (or just messed up) and had to add this as band aid solution.

4 hours ago, Diogenes said:

I mean...yeah, probably? Sonic lays it out pretty clear, they lost in Silver's timeline, the only new factor in this go-around is Silver being present, so if there's any way out it'd make sense that it's got something to do with him. (....)

Yes I said that. I'm just pointing out it's pure coincidence that Silver's power just happened to be useful. And 'buttery effect' is probably how he works in every minor appearance. Take Sonic Forces: Silver came from the future to fix thing. He didn't do much, but his fight with Infinite caused dropping of Phantom Ruby Prototype. It doesn't' need to be said out loud to work.

1 hour ago, Iko said:

If silver can time-travel, couldn't they have just time-traveled to when Tails had a cure and protect the computer until it's done?

From what I can tell, Silver doesn't work like that. He time hops between decades, not "I'll tell my past self to don't do this". He probably can't change events that he was part of already. That's the idea I get from all of his appearances.... ok, Sonic 06 sliiiighty bend it one time.
When Sonic saved Elise from Egg Carrier, there had to be 2 Sonic in 1 time (one saving Elise, other watching from afar) but events didn't changed.

I really think y’all are splitting hairs here. The reasoning for Silver not doing this or that is because Silver’s character is naive and inexperienced, he doesn’t know what will happen in the future nor does he know for certain how time travel affects the future. If the characters all knew exactly how things will turn out the same way we the audience knows thanks to hindsight, then we will not get the kinds of action packed desperation fueled fight scenes and cool feats of superpowered heroism we achieve in comics like this. It is boring to have characters just know everything will be fine so they don’t bother going all out or trying anything and everything in hopes of succeeding. 

18 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

The Zombots disintegrated also means the original mobian is dead and can't be cured, for the record.

But it will happen in hundred of years, so it's arbitrary information for current events. It only shoehorns connection to Silver's future.

34 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

But it will happen in hundred of years, so it's arbitrary information for current events. It only shoehorns connection to Silver's future.

It's there to say this is the only shot y'all get--if you don't stop the virus here, then Silver's future will come to past.

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I mean, I thought it was a pretty excellent piece of foreshadowing, but I guess the IDW comics can't do anything right so whatever.

36 minutes ago, Jack out of the comics! said:

Meanwhile the Sonic livestream quite explicitly said the wicked witch and her munchkins are dead. Finally some good news.

Who are they?

Having now read the new issue, I wanted to circle back to what I said about Amy and Eggman earlier:

Spoiler

It's even more clear why Eggman kicked Amy into Big here - Amy jumped in to protect Eggman from Zombot Big, only to discover that her hammer did no damage to him. Eggman and Amy were still cornered by Big, and thus to get himself out of the situation, Eggman selfishly kicked Amy into him so Big would be too busy infecting her, while he could make a run for it, hence why he says to her that she "did plenty" before dashing off.

It's also why it's some serious poetic justice that Eggman ended up getting infected by Froggy of all people.

2 hours ago, Jack out of the comics! said:

Meanwhile the Sonic livestream quite explicitly said the wicked witch and her munchkins are dead. Finally some good news.

1 hour ago, Silvereyes said:

Who are they?

Yeah, what the hell is this about?

4 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Considering how close they were to losing, that’s anything but arbitrary given how it was foreshadowed—COVID-19 aside, I thought it was great foreshadowing given how long they kept the cause a secret until they approached the climax, giving an extra sense urgency and stakes, as if they fail at this moment, it’s over for the entire world and irreversible by that point. 

Also makes Silver that much key to dealing with it too given his earlier warnings and showing that being infected is the second worst thing compared to what’ll happen next—a soulless drone who can’t do anything about their fate and is stuck like that for 200 years is damn grim.

2 hours ago, Silvereyes said:

Who are they?

Likely Wendy Witchcart and her lackeys, I’m assuming. Which I’m not happy to hear, if true, given how I was looking forward to seeing what part she could‘ve played—I suppose it’s naught since Starline was used to retrieve the Magic Conch in her place, but still.

Tho I suppose her crystalmancy would’ve made dealing with the virus a bit too easy given she could just crystallize them in place.

If not them, then yeah, no clue who that’s referring to.

Everyone keeps using word "foreshadowing" and I'm forced to look up dictionary, because either me or you aren't using this properly.

"Foreshadowing occurs in a literary text when the author gives clues and hints about what is to come ".

So Silver's future? Sure, that can count as foreshadowing. Zombies will turn into goop? Not really.

Connection between Metal Virus and Silver's future was guessable and down right said out loud in #20. So, no, this information doesn't foreshadow anything or even extra stakes. I stand by what I said "By the way zombies will turn into goop" is hasty addition that seems  to only correct mistake Flynn did. Nothing more.

Just to be clear, I'm not complaining at very idea of Silver future, just the "zombies will disintegrate" part, that is added very poorly. And even then, it's mostly a nerdy nitpick on my part.

14 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

It was to add an element of mystery "Why are there metal trees? Where are the people? Why is  there no one?"

You're still missing my point by the mile. EXPLANATION sucks. Not the setup.

Setup with future is fine. No one there, spooky. Adds a little drama and keeps Silver around. Good.
Then zombies show. Zombies are threat, they destroy everything, evil future makes sense. Good.
"But wait, why there was no zombies in the future?" "Uuuuuu, zombies will turn into goop". That's the lazy half-assed part. This info has no bearing on the story, no impact, just there to fill out the plothole.

5 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Everyone keeps using word "foreshadowing" and I'm forced to look up dictionary, because either me or you aren't using this properly.

"Foreshadowing occurs in a literary text when the author gives clues and hints about what is to come ".

So Silver's future? Sure, that can count as foreshadowing. Zombies will turn into goop? Not really.

And why is Silver’s future the way it is?

Connection between Metal Virus and Silver's future was guessable and down right said out loud in #20. So, no, this information doesn't foreshadow anything or even extra stakes.

That’s the foreshadow, dude: something about the Metal Virus in the present leads to Silver’s bleak future, and is the reason he’s still around to help fix things before it happens. And the answer connecting the foreshadow is the Zombots turning to dust 200 years later when Silver returns as the world’s sole survivor. I don’t see how the answer being that simple makes it lazy or half-assed.

Predictable? Maybe, but I sure as hell didn’t guess it anymore than I would’ve guess the Metal Virus being a new form of roboticization had Archie continued. Zombots turning to dust being the fate and the explanation behind it that results in it wasn’t said out loud until issues later. For all anyone knew, rather than self destructing, someone might’ve attempted a cure only to kill them and the zombots in the attempt, or intentionally wiped themselves along with the zombots out in a last ditch effort not to be infected (in bleak settings like a zombie apocalypse, choosing to die rather than be infected isn’t unheard of). Or with the Zeti’s getting involved, who knew what they could’ve done to them instead after infecting the world.

4 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

You're still missing my point by the mile. EXPLANATION sucks. Not the setup.

Setup with future is fine. No one there, spooky. Adds a little drama and keeps Silver around. Good.
Then zombies show. Zombies are threat, they destroy everything, evil future makes sense. Good.
"But wait, why there was no zombies in the future?" "Uuuuuu, zombies will turn into goop". That's the lazy half-assed part. This info has no bearing on the story, no impact, just there to fill out the plothole.

It's not a plothole if it was answered five issues later. That's just called telling a story. 

The only purpose the zombots' disintegration seems to serve is to give a reason why Silver is involved without spoiling the existence of zombots before they appear, but explaining it doesn't do anything to advance the story at the point it's revealed. Disintegration or not, everything we care about is fucked if they don't stop it from spreading, which is why it feels like hole-patching rather than moving things forward.

15 hours ago, Diogenes said:

The only purpose the zombots' disintegration seems to serve is to give a reason why Silver is involved without spoiling the existence of zombots before they appear, but explaining it doesn't do anything to advance the story at the point it's revealed. Disintegration or not, everything we care about is fucked if they don't stop it from spreading, which is why it feels like hole-patching rather than moving things forward.

YES! That's perfect summary what I meant.

18 hours ago, calamityCons said:

Do you have any suggestions for how else that information could have been conveyed so as not to seem like a tacked on addition to you?

Now that's a very good question. Constructive criticism is always better than just complaining.

The challenge is for Silver future to be bad without him knowing about Zombots. Ussually Silver either knows exactly whats going on or blurts "records of this era are blurry".

Simple answer: Forget the whole water thing, planet is just empty. Zavok would claim that Earth/Mobius is just beginning and he will take Zombots to conquer galaxies. Considering he's already from another planet-thing it's not illogical claim. It doesn't really  advances the plot (I guess it elevates the treat, but very slightly) but at least it doesn't shoe-horns new science information.

Hard answer: Starline found a way for Zombots to turn into goop, but it will start working after unknown amount of time. He didn't wanted to use it, but when D6 turn on them, he sees it as only logical course of action. Heroes try to stop him, but they are to late, he activates it (I imagine Sonic would try to stop him, but can't without touching him). So his plan is to just wait out until Zombots are no more. Of course Sonic and his friend are against genocide so they go with Topaz plan. Zeti aren't aware they army is temporary, but they will reach Angel Island before effects start.
The only problem is now why Eggman would help Sonic, rather than go with Starline's plan. Pride? Some last straws of humanity? Or maybe Silver points out that in his future no one is there, so Starline's machination will work only after whole planet gets infected, thus killing everyone.

I thought I made a post here last night, but I guess that's personal confusion for ya. At least you'll decided to use constructive criticism on the little matter you were talking about.

Anyway, what type of animal do you think Clutch will be?