Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

6 hours ago, Sgt Jack V said:

I don't want any crossover bullshit in this comic. The Mega Man crossovers were bad enough, but something like these would be even worse.

Besides, IDW isn't as cheap as Archie. I'm sure they'll make seperate book for crossovers that won't halt the progress of the main book.

1 minute ago, antyep said:

Besides, IDW isn't as cheap as Archie. I'm sure they'll make seperate book for crossovers that won't halt the progress of the main book.

This is indeed what they usually do, take in account the Batman/TMNT crossovers both being a separate mini-series, as well as Ghostbusters Get Real being a mini-series too. That said, the crossovers still tend to be canon in terms of the comic. 

3 hours ago, ShadowSJG said:

I'm just gonna say this, I'm kinda hoping for a Sonic x MLP crossover tbh.

If we did, the plot should be about Zazz kidnapping Flurry Heart.

12 minutes ago, antyep said:

Cuz he, as well as the other Zetis look like MLP villains. Maybe?

Yes. They would fit in with the diamond Dogs well.

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 2:42 PM, Zaysho said:

Eh. I'm not too keen on seeing Sonic in a crossover again any time soon, though from what I've seen of IDW crossover events are typically separate books and don't always feed into the on-going continuity. They might use certain events as a springboard (I haven't read them, but I think that's what the Ghostbusters crossover did), but you can easily ignore them.

As far as I know the Ghostbusters crossover(s) are canon to both books but stuff like Batman/TMNT are a just for fun thing divorced from the continuity of either series.

What people don't seem to get is that at most any IDW Sonic crossover will at most be 4-6 issues. IDW doesn't really do big crossover events outside of their Hasbro titles (Kinda hard to with all the licenses to juggle) Most of their Events make it to where all you have to read is the property you care about. Even then the recent Deviations series is a What-If Alternate Reality thing.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

4 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

I'm sorry if you didn't like the megaman one

But there's nothing inherently wrong with the concept and odds are its going to happen because people like that and it makes money. I'm not saying its set in stone, but you might want eventually content yourself with the idea

As much as I like shadow, not everyone has to be in the crossoevers. Maybe its just a Sonic knuckles amy and tails scenario, for each turtle and just leave it there. 

Shadow can be in other crossovers though

It was less about including Shadow and more finding someone analogous to Leo. Both are serious and kinda stoic, while occasionally letting some attitude or even (heaven help them) fun peek through.

Transformers would be a tougher match, though. IDW would probably want to use their own continuity, and that would make most of the fun types of interactions one might expect more difficult.

Just "Eggman and the Decepticons" alone doesn't work because the war is over and the faction has largely disbanded, save for a few scattered rogue elements.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

2 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

Yes. They would fit in with the diamond Dogs well.

I feel like it could use other elements than the deadly six, more creative. Honestly, I'd love to see character interactions:

Sonic and Rainbow Dash, Knuckles and AppleJack, Tails and Twilight, Amy and Pinkie/Shadow and Pinkie(that would be fun), Rarity and Rouge(or Knuckles and Rarity with his emerald), Fluttershy and Cream??(I dunno), Silver and Starlight, etc or even Shadow/Starlight with similar motivations.

2 minutes ago, hedgie said:

Wonder what Sonic characters whose love would Queen Chrysalis want to feed off of?

Probably Cream and Vanilla

Shadow the hedgehog's and Luna's edgy adventures

( I swear to god there's a picture that one of the official comic artists drew that's luna holding up a picture of shadow the hedgehog saying its her fursona or some shit ) 

I notice that comic solicitations for January have been trickling in. Anyone familiar with IDW know when they usually drop theirs?

• Thumbs Up 2

So April solicits would likely drop some time in Jan? Gives them plenty of time to drip feed us info.

I would like to see IDW and Capcom have a couple meetings, would love to see Megaman get picked back up again. The way it was being handled, retelling the game stories in order, with the exception of the crossovers and the odd filler material to world build, was a really nice approach, even going so far as the adapt Japanese only content/games.

Speaking of Capcom, bit unreleated to Sonic etc but does UDON still do Street Fighter comics? Or just the art books etc now? Wouldn't mind seeing more of those. 

6 hours ago, Tenko said:

So April solicits would likely drop some time in Jan? Gives them plenty of time to drip feed us info.

I would like to see IDW and Capcom have a couple meetings, would love to see Megaman get picked back up again. The way it was being handled, retelling the game stories in order, with the exception of the crossovers and the odd filler material to world build, was a really nice approach, even going so far as the adapt Japanese only content/games.

Speaking of Capcom, bit unreleated to Sonic etc but does UDON still do Street Fighter comics? Or just the art books etc now? Wouldn't mind seeing more of those. 

They still do original Street Fighter stuff. They just did a Darkstalkers crossover. I've honestly been hoping they'd pick Mega Man up from where Archie left off.

If they pick up Mega Man again I reallllly hope they don't continue with the previous approach. The tone and characters' personalities were handled well, and the original/filler stories were mostly okay, but the actual game adaptations were extremely repetitive ("Hi I'm so-and-so Man, let's fight, oh no im dead im sorry mega man", rinse and repeat). It shouldn't take eight months to adapt one game.

Not that I hate the idea of adapting the games (Ariga's manga is fantastic), but Ian's hyperliteral approach was really boring. 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Mister X said:

If they pick up Mega Man again I reallllly hope they don't continue with the previous approach. The tone and characters' personalities were handled well, and the original/filler stories were mostly okay, but the actual game adaptations were extremely repetitive ("Hi I'm so-and-so Man, let's fight, oh no im dead im sorry mega man", rinse and repeat). It shouldn't take eight months to adapt one game.

Not that I hate the idea of adapting the games (Ariga's manga is fantastic), but Ian's hyperliteral approach was really boring. 

The problem is the adaptation itself, not only it gets repetitive, but the MM game format is boring at heart, it shouldn't be in a comic book story, there should be twists and turns, surprises, mysteries, etc. It's what I want for Sonic, no adaptations please.

1 hour ago, Mister X said:

1 hour ago, Jack the Rookie said:

The problem is the adaptation itself, not only it gets repetitive, but the MM game format is boring at heart, it shouldn't be in a comic book story, there should be twists and turns, surprises, mysteries, etc. It's what I want for Sonic, no adaptations please.

You can make Megaman interesting, all Ian had to do was not make the adaptations so formulaic and loyal to the games. You know, like what he does with his Sonic adaptions. Most of them are "Wily does bad, Megaman makes his way to a room, fights the Robot master, travel to another room, fight another Robot master...occasional emotional scene...fight each and every boss, fight Wily, reach the ending"

Example? As Mister X says, Ariga's Megamix:

Spoiler

MM1 was a basic adaption, relatively loyal to the games. But introduces the 2nd DWNs at the end, allowing Wily to escape.

MM2, Megaman get’s ambushed by 2 DWNs in the city while another one tries to get the DLNs on their side. 3 more DWNs arrive but also the DLNs, allowing Megaman to rush to Dr. Wily's place using Item-2 while being chased by 2 DWNs. At the end they have a showdown with the Dragon and Quickman.

MM3, he get’s ambushed again by some of the DWNs. But only briefly, as it gets interrupted by Breakman, then Gamma. The rest of the DWNs don’t fight Megaman but free Wily, hijack the spaceship, prepare Gamma, steal some parts, then teleport away.

MM4 is only as a flashback.  The arc focus on Cossack and Skullman.

MM5 also flashback. 5th Number and DLNs get along in the arc. Also introduces Bass. 

MM6 is more about post-game. looks like Megaman is fighting the robots one by one, but only shows a few panels. Instead he fights his siblings, himself, and maybe Bass.

MM7 is combined with Battle&Chase.

There is also the final Stardroids + Duo (+Ra Moon) arc which is fun. Rushed and a little lame, but fun.

(MM3 was originally just a flashback at the beginning for YellowDevil-MKII arc, but later got a proper adaption. Maybe Ariga will adapt 4 and 5 properly some day)

Ariga doesn't show every boss, doesn't fight every robot master, doesn't make them wait in a room at the end of a dangerous maze, make them be doing something, make them work together, doesn't make it an emotional "why are we fighting?" moment every time. Some people hate it because of this, but I think it's great.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Mister X said:

I don't know honestly I liked the approach they did with 3 where it was told from the Robot Masters point of view and we got to learn about them as characters.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

The  best part is, since the Archie Mega Man comics had virtually no baggage (unlike Sonic), I'd wager IDW would be a lot less leery about continuing the comic from where it left off.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1