Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Honestly, these are starting to feel more like Sega of America mandates than Sega of Japan ones; because Shadow's character has been pretty consistent there for the most part..when he actually appears that is.

• Thumbs Up 1

I mean, all the teams except Chaotix are super malleable and based around whoever's available, so this doesn't really mean much. Heck, the original Team Dark was Eggman, Shadow, and Rogue in SA2. If Team Dark is just shorthand for "Team with Shadow on it", I'd buy it.

15 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

It isn't reflected in Sega's products, no.

I haven't seen anything in Forces or TSR, the most recent games that featured all of these characters, that felt inconsistent with what they were in 2006. Every time I hear about these rules, it's exclusive to the comic, and presumably other licensed products, but these never seem to apply to whatever garbage Sonic Team puts out.

Before TSR I might agree. I would argue that this seems to be limited to products SOA has control over because that last bit of weirdness in any official actuality was sonic boom. Besides maybe the lego game. However in TSR a game in which I actually think shadow is relatively fine rouge on other hand makes no bones about their relationship only being that of business knuckles telling her not trust shadow and her response is " well I want to win" and he telling shadow to stop fighting sonic being framed more so as personal gain rather than giving a crap about shadow in any regard.

Now this is a spin off game and it could be totally normal in the next game , maybe people respond to how much they prefer this over the comic situation and someone from on high tells whoever to stop or maybe they stop on their own. What I fear is that it wont stop. And at least from my own personal experience and just observing sega fighting itself for several decades its that someone's trying to make a case for something. What sonic should be. And if the people holding the purse strings says that their thing is pretty neat. Products may lean more to that sort of thing. Until they mess up and it switches hands again.

This could be nothing and everything could work out. But just given sega's history and its penchant for learning the wrong thing , it may not be the last of it. And if its not, maybe we can at least get something cool out of it is all i'm saying.

4 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

I mean, all the teams except Chaotix are super malleable and based around whoever's available, so this doesn't really mean much. Heck, the original Team Dark was Eggman, Shadow, and Rogue in SA2. If Team Dark is just shorthand for "Team with Shadow on it", I'd buy it.

I'm  really into this. And if sega decides more and more that costumes are cool you can give people edgy outfits when they get on shadow's team. Like mad scientist tails, or that gothic costume amy had in runners. Or sonic in a leather jacket that's totally not a reference to anything at all

Also maybe we can get team rouge's...maybe. Sega please

31 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

Well he IS Dark Sonic, so....

29 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Also maybe we can get team rouge's...maybe. Sega please

Um....

Also, Jet Wave and Storm may take issue with that 

13 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Honestly I never try to harp on pacing when it comes to comics until I have the whole story. If the finished product on a reread feels like it's taking forever then I'll complain. Like Iron Dominion at Archie. It still feels like it takes forever entirely because of the two issues where they have to deal with the fact the Freedom Fighters left Eggman in the city and then #207 which I guess made it's point in existing by having Sally debate about if she wanted to date Kahn and gave us more of the Iron Queen's backstory. But outside of that is largely filler (And I hate using that word).

I'm usually the first to praise Ian's work but The Iron Dominion Saga is still to this day the absolute worst story he did in terms of pacing IMO. It's 12 issues technically 16 that could have been handled in about 9 tops.

I raise you World’s Unite.

I’m not saying Iron Dominion was anything stellar, but it sure as hell got to actually finish its story completely and didn’t end up ruining the pace of everything else that came with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

I raise you World’s Unite.

I’m not saying Iron Dominion was anything stellar, but it sure as hell got to actually finish its story completely and didn’t end up ruining the pace of everything else that came with it.

Y'know what that's totally fair. It's easily my second least favorite arc Ian did and definitely the worst thing in the otherwise stellar Mega Man comics.

Just now, SBR2 said:

Y'know what that's totally fair. It's easily my second least favorite arc Ian did and definitely the worst thing in the otherwise stellar Mega Man comics.

Yeah, and it derailed the comic in a way that it was never able to recover from.  Up until that point, the reboot was going actually pretty swimmingly. Just as a reminder, Champions literally was right before it, and was one of the best arcs the comic has had. The quality contrast couldn't be more stark.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Well he IS Dark Sonic, so....

Um....

Also, Jet Wave and Storm may take issue with that 

Thats how they reintroduce the wolf guy from boom. Team name copyright dispute.

(I mean if you wanted to make it different. You could call them. Hearts or Heartbreakers. She does owh a club could be gambling themed)

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

On the second cover...

D-does Storm's mugshot say what I think it does?

I know it's likely nothing more than an Easter egg, but still, that's pretty awesome!

27 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

On the second cover...

D-does Storm's mugshot say what I think it does?

I know it's likely nothing more than an Easter egg, but still, that's pretty awesome!

Oh, hey, you're right. That date's the date of Sonic Riders' release. 

2 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

Oh, hey, you're right. That date's the date of Sonic Riders' release. 

Also, Knothole Village

3 minutes ago, NeoZDuwang said:

Also, Knothole Village

I think they know and were setting up for a joke. (Though I didn't know that either, @thumbs13, nice catch!)

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, PublicEnemy1 said:

I think they know and were setting up for a joke.

Yeah, I thought it mighty be a joke, but wasn't sure :v

now Thats a cool cover b for issue 31. full of funny cool and deadly poses and references. nice grin storm. and jet. cool pose from starline. and the funny skunk brothers pulling faces. that cover is one of my fave covers so far frum sonic idw. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Man, the Rogues help them save the planet, and the heroes immediately put out wanted posters for them, and calls them jerks on top of it, that's cold.

• Thumbs Up 2

I know you are half-joking, but I think all the posters are just missing posters with Eggman and Starline being wanted. 

The other cover also shows Amy giving a bunch of missing posters to Jewel.

I wonder if Jon Gray could get in trouble for slipping in that Knothole Village reference. Last time someone slipped a SatAM reference (ABT), he got a stern talking-to by SEGA.

Worst case scenario, the reference gets removed, which would be a shame. However, it's probably not as obvious as a slightly obscured Sally photo, so they might let it slide.

Kinda to close to tell based on how it’s written.

Try not to get your hopes up too far tho, much as I’m anxious of this myself.

14 minutes ago, Razule said:

That's not a Knothole reference. "Wothole Village"? Come on, guys. Grasping at straws.

It looks like Storm's huge-ass finger is partially obscuring the K (like obscuring the E at the end of Village). I think that was intentional on Jon's part, so that SEGA has a hard time trying to translate it.

Anyways, this tweet confirms it is Knothole Village.

Unfortunately, it also confirms that it's just an Easter egg, as I figured. Still a neat one, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Thats how they reintroduce the wolf guy from boom. Team name copyright dispute.

(I mean if you wanted to make it different. You could call them. Hearts or Heartbreakers. She does owh a club could be gambling themed)

Who, Barker? Heh. He was actually a dog, apparently.

4 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

What the heck is that first cover?

And I mean that in the best way.

1 hour ago, prowerboy26 said:

I know you are half-joking, but I think all the posters are just missing posters with Eggman and Starline being wanted. 

The other cover also shows Amy giving a bunch of missing posters to Jewel.

Oh that's right, Rouges didn't come back from their fight.

46 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I wonder if Jon Gray could get in trouble for slipping in that Knothole Village reference. Last time someone slipped a SatAM reference (ABT), he got a stern talking-to by SEGA.

Worst case scenario, the reference gets removed, which would be a shame. However, it's probably not as obvious as a slightly obscured Sally photo, so they might let it slide.

Oh really?

I also noticed something else: the CLAW that's destroying the posters is almost definitely Omega's, but the spikes on his arm look quite a bit bigger. Could Omega's new body be a jacked-up version of his old one, and now he' s seeking revenge on Eggman Terminator-style?

If so, this could be a real interesting issue.

On 8/4/2020 at 4:36 PM, Zaysho said:

It isn't reflected in Sega's products, no.

I haven't seen anything in Forces or TSR, the most recent games that featured all of these characters, that felt inconsistent with what they were in 2006. Every time I hear about these rules, it's exclusive to the comic, and presumably other licensed products, but these never seem to apply to whatever garbage Sonic Team puts out.

Basically like Mario, except in Mario’s case the licensed product is the garbage while the mainstream content ranges from reasonable to superb. I think it’s because their product is considered the “mainline”, and all other works must follow it.

3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

What the heck is that first cover?

A cover for fun. Probably not reflective of content

3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Oh really?

Yeah sega's not into it.