Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

2 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Yeah it is.

Specifically the admission that team dark only exists as brand that is just used. Which is interesting not in a bad way either. Or rather what you perspective is. Considering iizuka and some other sega employees were calling team dark "team shadow " Japanese im curious if they will just assign that name to anyone shadow teams up with that aligns with the brand. Its curious and interesting and could actually be neat. Team dark with a reformed infinite and metal sonic, or get weird like I dunno like big even.

So an interesting spot of speculation between normal corperate depression views on their own franchise

They've been a "brand to be used" since the team was formed in 2004; what's the difference between then and now?

23 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

They've been a "brand to be used" since the team was formed in 2004; what's the difference between then and now?

They were a chaotix styled team where the "brand" was them being a team. Now the "brand" accidentally by sega's own admission during the tsr ramp up is more so around shadow. It's hypothetically more simular to team rose. Where its just whoever amy is around. This is out of all the characterization crap actually kind of neat if it pans out that way. Chaotix themselves in tsr has become that as well. I would be more ok if the teams were loose titles focused more so around who's leading rather than compositions. You could get really neat combo's

15 minutes ago, Your Vest Friend said:

Rouge: Aw yeah baby, this makes us a team!

Shadow: *loads gun* slowdown there buckaroo

13 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

If it's a "brand", they're gonna keep using them together regardless of whatever shit they make up about Shadow that isn't even reflected in their own products so this really doesn't matter lol

Or they just use team dark as a brand and stick shadow in random team scenarios. I think it would be neat. Also I mean is the reason we are having a conversation is that is being reflected in products?

I'm gonna go ahead and assume people know which arc I like better considering how much I gush about the idea behind the Metal Virus and how much every issue from the day I saw Rough and Tumble get the ooze on them to this very point in time right now, I've been totally with it. The speculation towards what this could mean for the world when I saw Eggman cruelly experimenting with those flickies in a tube sent my excitement levels into overdrive and the image of that one flicky heading for a nearby city had me rolling around in excitement.

Then, of course, my precious bee boy son became a victim and all bets were off. It already felt like the world was ending to me. That's a feeling that I do have to just come out admitting to loving when it comes to Sonic. Shadow the Hedgehog was a bad game but I can't lie to myself and say that I felt the "end of the world" feel didn't affect me in a manner that got me excited. Especially during the pathway where I was the one dooming the planet. It always got me.

It's the thing that makes that game more of a guilty pleasure rather than just inherently disposable for me. We live in a time where it's actually okay to say that a story can massively affect how one views a game so I'm glad I can now. Any notion of sharing that back in the day felt like you were about to start typing on glass. Especially on that defunct SEGA forum.

I never had of the issues some claimed to have about not being familiar enough with the characters at the start. Any iteration of my favorite characters I've known since childhood I'm going to approach as though they already are the ones I love and then it'll be up to the narrative to discern whether or not that feeling stays that way. Because the book is incredibly well written, and in most cases, exactly what I want these characters to be, I ended up approaching this as though these were the actual cast members while the ones from something like Forces were just hollow shells that were tossed onto a disk and made to gab at me while I played in 2D in my 3D game.

It's also why the old Archie book struggled a bit on a few fronts for me. As well as Boom. There's only so much one can approach something with the thought in mind that it's a different continuity and that should be understood and accepted after all. I am glad to say that I did still end up enjoying those (mostly Ian's run of Archie of course. The stuff before that point so far has been very not great...). 

Stuff like imagining myself being in the same situation Tails was in when he had to seriously sneak out onto the roof to fix something while there were zombots both above and below him just got me good. Even as something as simple as imagining being stuck in a radio station at night with only one other person to keep me company excited me.

I'm prepared for more light-hearted stuff and I'm sure I'll love it like I did something like TSR: Overdrive but I'll probably go on record for being the only guy who wanted this to go on longer. And I'm okay with that.

I'm proud something Sonic related can make me feel so happy. I don't want to stop thinking about it. 

45 minutes ago, calamityCons said:

If Team Dark “never has been friends or worked for GUN,” that sounds a lot like an outright retcon. It completely deletes all previous examples of the characters together. It’s outright removal of continuity and that makes me sad. 

Problably. Its clear someone doesn't care too much about lore and more so the branding of these characters. And they are in charge. Corporations man.

In regards to this arc, its it has left me in a weird place in regards to sonic as a franchide used in narrative.

Succinctly, its not great.

4 hours ago, Jack out of the comics! said:

So what are your overall favorite issues from each arc? And best character?

Subject to change because I haven't read most of these any time recently and I'm going off of my head/memory here:

Favorite issues(looking at a list): 2, 3, 5, 9, 23, and 27.

Best Character: Gonna default to Eggman and Cream.

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

Yeah it is.

Specifically the admission that team dark only exists as brand that is just used. Which is interesting not in a bad way either. Or rather what you perspective is. Considering iizuka and some other sega employees were calling team dark "team shadow " during the ramp up to tsr im curious if they will just assign that name to anyone shadow teams up with that aligns with the brand. Its curious and interesting and could actually be neat. Team dark with a reformed infinite and metal sonic, or get weird like I dunno like big even. It isn't a set team its just who shadow chooses to align with that day gets to be "team dark" .

So an interesting spot of speculation between normal corperate depression views on their own franchise

Now the "brand" accidentally by sega's own admission during the tsr ramp up is more so around shadow. It's hypothetically more simular to team rose. Where its just whoever amy is around. This is out of all the characterization crap actually kind of neat if it pans out that way.  I would be more ok if the teams were loose titles focused more so around who's leading rather than compositions. You could get really neat combo's

Or they just use team dark as a brand and stick shadow in random team scenarios. I think it would be neat. Also I mean is the reason we are having a conversation is that is being reflected in products?

So to genuinely humor this for a minute, I do think the idea of forming teams around a particular member from time to time does have potential.

Some cases may not work as well as others and this isn't something that's likely to get anymore play compared to the established Teams themselves, but yeah.

It isn't reflected in Sega's products, no.

I haven't seen anything in Forces or TSR, the most recent games that featured all of these characters, that felt inconsistent with what they were in 2006. Every time I hear about these rules, it's exclusive to the comic, and presumably other licensed products, but these never seem to apply to whatever garbage Sonic Team puts out.

Honestly, these are starting to feel more like Sega of America mandates than Sega of Japan ones; because Shadow's character has been pretty consistent there for the most part..when he actually appears that is.

I mean, all the teams except Chaotix are super malleable and based around whoever's available, so this doesn't really mean much. Heck, the original Team Dark was Eggman, Shadow, and Rogue in SA2. If Team Dark is just shorthand for "Team with Shadow on it", I'd buy it.

15 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

It isn't reflected in Sega's products, no.

I haven't seen anything in Forces or TSR, the most recent games that featured all of these characters, that felt inconsistent with what they were in 2006. Every time I hear about these rules, it's exclusive to the comic, and presumably other licensed products, but these never seem to apply to whatever garbage Sonic Team puts out.

Before TSR I might agree. I would argue that this seems to be limited to products SOA has control over because that last bit of weirdness in any official actuality was sonic boom. Besides maybe the lego game. However in TSR a game in which I actually think shadow is relatively fine rouge on other hand makes no bones about their relationship only being that of business knuckles telling her not trust shadow and her response is " well I want to win" and he telling shadow to stop fighting sonic being framed more so as personal gain rather than giving a crap about shadow in any regard.

Now this is a spin off game and it could be totally normal in the next game , maybe people respond to how much they prefer this over the comic situation and someone from on high tells whoever to stop or maybe they stop on their own. What I fear is that it wont stop. And at least from my own personal experience and just observing sega fighting itself for several decades its that someone's trying to make a case for something. What sonic should be. And if the people holding the purse strings says that their thing is pretty neat. Products may lean more to that sort of thing. Until they mess up and it switches hands again.

This could be nothing and everything could work out. But just given sega's history and its penchant for learning the wrong thing , it may not be the last of it. And if its not, maybe we can at least get something cool out of it is all i'm saying.

4 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

I mean, all the teams except Chaotix are super malleable and based around whoever's available, so this doesn't really mean much. Heck, the original Team Dark was Eggman, Shadow, and Rogue in SA2. If Team Dark is just shorthand for "Team with Shadow on it", I'd buy it.

I'm  really into this. And if sega decides more and more that costumes are cool you can give people edgy outfits when they get on shadow's team. Like mad scientist tails, or that gothic costume amy had in runners. Or sonic in a leather jacket that's totally not a reference to anything at all

Also maybe we can get team rouge's...maybe. Sega please

31 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

Well he IS Dark Sonic, so....

29 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Also maybe we can get team rouge's...maybe. Sega please

Um....

Also, Jet Wave and Storm may take issue with that 

13 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Honestly I never try to harp on pacing when it comes to comics until I have the whole story. If the finished product on a reread feels like it's taking forever then I'll complain. Like Iron Dominion at Archie. It still feels like it takes forever entirely because of the two issues where they have to deal with the fact the Freedom Fighters left Eggman in the city and then #207 which I guess made it's point in existing by having Sally debate about if she wanted to date Kahn and gave us more of the Iron Queen's backstory. But outside of that is largely filler (And I hate using that word).

I'm usually the first to praise Ian's work but The Iron Dominion Saga is still to this day the absolute worst story he did in terms of pacing IMO. It's 12 issues technically 16 that could have been handled in about 9 tops.

I raise you World’s Unite.

I’m not saying Iron Dominion was anything stellar, but it sure as hell got to actually finish its story completely and didn’t end up ruining the pace of everything else that came with it.

23 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

I raise you World’s Unite.

I’m not saying Iron Dominion was anything stellar, but it sure as hell got to actually finish its story completely and didn’t end up ruining the pace of everything else that came with it.

Y'know what that's totally fair. It's easily my second least favorite arc Ian did and definitely the worst thing in the otherwise stellar Mega Man comics.

Just now, SBR2 said:

Y'know what that's totally fair. It's easily my second least favorite arc Ian did and definitely the worst thing in the otherwise stellar Mega Man comics.

Yeah, and it derailed the comic in a way that it was never able to recover from.  Up until that point, the reboot was going actually pretty swimmingly. Just as a reminder, Champions literally was right before it, and was one of the best arcs the comic has had. The quality contrast couldn't be more stark.

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Well he IS Dark Sonic, so....

Um....

Also, Jet Wave and Storm may take issue with that 

Thats how they reintroduce the wolf guy from boom. Team name copyright dispute.

(I mean if you wanted to make it different. You could call them. Hearts or Heartbreakers. She does owh a club could be gambling themed)

27 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

On the second cover...

D-does Storm's mugshot say what I think it does?

I know it's likely nothing more than an Easter egg, but still, that's pretty awesome!

Oh, hey, you're right. That date's the date of Sonic Riders' release. 

now Thats a cool cover b for issue 31. full of funny cool and deadly poses and references. nice grin storm. and jet. cool pose from starline. and the funny skunk brothers pulling faces. that cover is one of my fave covers so far frum sonic idw.