Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

36 minutes ago, Kaotic Kanine said:

Ugh, I that bit about Amy annoys me to no end 😑 Nevermind that Ian, the official writer for the Sonic comics, takes that cutscene in Sonic Heroes as seriously as everyone*. But the confirmation that SEGA officially wants to neuter Amy's open affection for Sonic makes my blood boil. There was nothing wrong with Amy being outwardly affectionate for Sonic; quite frankly, it's a refreshing change of pace from so many other female character (especially in Western works) who keep their affection for another character hidden out of "anxiety", "shame", and such. But just because two spin-off games and one television spin-off (none of which are highly regarded for their character writing) flanderized that trait of Amy's, now it's seen as something to be purged from her character when that isn't needed whatsoever. And now Amy is being turned into her complete contrast; becoming logical, calm, and easily tired out. Instead of the emotional, energetic, and tireless girl she was established as 

Reveal hidden contents

Seriously, it was ONE cutscene out of many involving Amy in that entire game actually presented her in bad light! And even then, it was one of the four "Team Battle" cutscenes, which were blatantly engineered to produce conflict for the sake of boss fights. Amy's "There no way out of marrying me!" beatdown is no more accurate to her character than Rouge's frankly out of nowhere hostility to Team Chaotix or Espio's "Now hand over that Chao, nice and easy". The rest of Sonic Heroes was actually a very ideal take on Amy, all things considered. Can we SHUT UP about that one freaking cutscene???

Yeah, Amy's been turn in to a generic female with no interesting points to her character.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:
  Hide contents

Well, we already got Metal Shadow... maybe some time after the Metal Virus arc, we could get some returning or new Metal or Doll Characters.

1 hour ago, Your Vest Friend said:

I'm pretty sure that's Shadow Android, not Metal Shadow.

Yeah that's a different thing with different rules

4 hours ago, Your Vest Friend said:

I'm pretty sure that's Shadow Android, not Metal Shadow.

2 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

KJDdlKYBjB1pweJ_vkrilc4Ct2ZTk-HE_JmX63nO

Eh, I'd still count them as sub section of the Metal Series.

...what would a Modern Amy Doll look like?

23 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

KJDdlKYBjB1pweJ_vkrilc4Ct2ZTk-HE_JmX63nO

Eh, I'd still count them as sub section of the Metal Series.

...what would a Modern Amy Doll look like?

They literally aren't and have different rules for their use.

12 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

They literally aren't

They're evil knockoffs of Shadow.

Silver Sonic, Metal Sonic, and Mecha Sonic are evil knockoffs of Sonic.

I don't see why putting them in a category of robot duplicates is a problem, regardless of whether or not IDW can use Metal Knuckles, Tails Doll, Amy Doll, or robot-version-of-this-character-created-by-Eggman in the future.

6 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

3 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

They're evil knockoffs of Shadow.

Silver Sonic, Metal Sonic, and Mecha Sonic are evil knockoffs of Sonic.

I don't see why putting them in a category of robot duplicates is a problem, regardless of whether or not IDW can use Metal Knuckles, Tails Doll, Amy Doll, or robot-version-of-this-character-created-by-Eggman in the future.

I thought the former for a second, but then I realized who cares and it's basically the latter.

Bonus from aftercredits: The fact that the human world is apparently visible in TSR when they take off on Dodopa's rocket from Sonic's World could be proof that there is in fact no quality control.

WHAT?

WHERE?

WHEN?

HOW?

WHY?

WHO?

• Thumbs Up 1

My point was about the IP holder and how what they they consider different matters because that shapes the conversation about what can and can't be included.

Also they are not like metal sonic at all. They don't even look the same, serve the same function lore wise,  and have if I remember correctly a different delineation than any other eggman "replicant" that exists.

3 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

WHAT?

It's not really anything to get worked up about. There's a brief scene that appears to show Earth in the background. Could just as easily be Sonic's world, it's not like there's ever been a fixed, canonical design for it. Plus it's TSR, a goofy racing spinoff; nothing in it matters.

• Thumbs Up 4

Spoiler

New BumbleKast

The most interesting thing: Earth and Not-Mobius are connected via "secret giant Rings that we have never seen"

• Thumbs Up 1

Imagine going through a giant ring to try and get to a trippy, fantastical special stage and ending up on some boring Earth freeway in the middle of nowhere.

• Way Past Cool 1

Are they really still pretending there's no currency? That doesn't even work. Team Chaotix mention money in every single game.

Just say we'll never see Sonic filing his taxes instead of making a blanket statement that's super contradictory. 

There's a scene of the Chaotix wanting payment from Amy in the IDW book itself. It's most likely just another case of SEGA/Sonic Team wanting to say something is true without caring whether it contradicts what they literally show us. 

Anyone who plays Generations and Forces and hears Tails call Classic Sonic "Sonic from another dimension" but also imply that the TIME TRAVEL story of Generations still happened should know that they do not give a fuck about making sure it connects correctly.

It's the George Lucas syndrome of having a perfect vision that they keep changing. 

• Thumbs Up 5

10 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

WHAT?

WHERE?

WHEN?

HOW?

WHY?

WHO?

It was one of the first cutscenes, where the Dodonpa rocket takes Teams Sonic and Rose off into space...for some reason. 😕

Earth must've been one of the planets visible on the backdrop.

10 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

My point was about the IP holder and how what they they consider different matters because that shapes the conversation about what can and can't be included.

Also they are not like metal sonic at all. They don't even look the same, serve the same function lore wise,  and have if I remember correctly a different delineation than any other eggman "replicant" that exists.

He was mainly talking from personal inclination, for the record.

(Oh, you meant the Androids. The disadvantage of mobile.)

6 hours ago, Diogenes said:

It's not really anything to get worked up about. There's a brief scene that appears to show Earth in the background. Could just as easily be Sonic's world, it's not like there's ever been a fixed, canonical design for it. Plus it's TSR, a goofy racing spinoff; nothing in it matters.

Not to mention the fridge logic of him taking him to race away from the world most of the stages take place on.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, TransPirate said:
  Reveal hidden contents

New BumbleKast

The most interesting thing: Earth and Not-Mobius are connected via "secret giant Rings that we have never seen"

SHOW us; don’t TELL us!

Geez...

This is less on Ian and more on Sega, because they’ve been having a bad habit of not understanding that basic fundamental of storytelling. Two Worlds would be easier to go along with had they at least done that—that’s why no one questioned Sonic being on another world in Sonic X or the Movie.

At least Ian’s team is trying to make it work, but still.

• Thumbs Up 1

I honestly feel bad for the staff because I can tell they're really trying to make something coherent and interesting out of this mess of information. I understand that Sonic is Sega's franchise and they want to exercise more creative control to prevent how deviant things got in Archie, but all of these retcons, mandates and what have you just feel like it's stifling any creativity from the staff. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

SHOW us; don’t TELL us!

Geez...

This is less on Ian and more on Sega, because they’ve been having a bad habit of not understanding that basic fundamental of storytelling. Two Worlds would be easier to go along with had they at least done that—that’s why no one questioned Sonic being on another world in Sonic X or the Movie.

At least Ian’s team is trying to make it work, but still.

Honestly I wish they'd just give us a Sonic style Hyrule Hystoria. Ian's dropped all these little tidbits and I believe has mentioned seeing the timeline of the games so all this info is there I just wish they'd actually put it out for everyone.

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

Yeah and they said Silver's definite future is the post-06 one, even if Forces and Metal virus happened.

Wait, post, which means it is fixed. Not a bleak environment?

I mean, they no doubt kept in the licensing agreement that everything made for the comic is owned by Sega like they did with Archie, so it’s not like they can’t allow some creativity to go into things to make it more enjoyable. They’d benefit more from it considering how popular the writing is.

Ian isn’t Penders, they don’t have to worry about him pulling the kind of stunt done well over a decade ago with his ideas.

• Thumbs Up 4

You can say that all you like, but sadly it legitimately is not that easy. Penders set a precedent to Sega of Japan with his antics, and he has left a mark on the Sega brand whether we like it or not. Many of the mandates are made in direct response to Penders’ lawsuit and the characters he wanted to keep. The no family members mandate, the no alternate outfits mandate, the no crying sonic mandate, etc. They are rightfully nervous and mistrusting of the writers for the american sonic comics specifically because of the years long legal battles Archie and Sega were forced to undergo.

Basically, it is easier said than done because of this situation. It is not fair, and Sega SHOULD put more trust in the IDW creative team’s writing chops and characterization. But I honestly cannot blame them for being cautious about this, if I had a property that I loved, and someone from another country that doesn’t speak my language decides to work under me, create fan characters, and then sue for the rights to their fan characters, then demand royalties and mandatory consultation whenever I needed to use those fan characters? That’s only the basics of what Penders was demanding, and I still would find myself becoming more guarded and cautious about my property if i were in those shoes. 

It sucks and I hate it, but like. You can’t just undo that kind of impact yknow?

• Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Honestly I wish they'd just give us a Sonic style Hyrule Hystoria. Ian's dropped all these little tidbits and I believe has mentioned seeing the timeline of the games so all this info is there I just wish they'd actually put it out for everyone.

I'm telling you right now that it's not going to work out in the way you're asking. Given how Zelda fans are still arguing about the Zelda timeline and how what was established in the Hystoria contradicted itself maybe it's not the best idea.