Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Tbh I may have enjoyed the first season more, I already posted it, didn't I? I also remember most people (outside of here) really liked those issues too. I agree with most criticisms, repetitive formula etc. No story progress within the first 4 issues etc. But still as introduction they really worked. I also enjoyed Battle for Angel Island for not introducing any more characters besides Starline. Things I didn't like in season 1: yeah we definitely could have gotten more of Mr Tinker, and literally the one flaw I can think of in the final arc was Metal's final form. That's it. 

However everything else was on point, interactions, fights, characterizations, art, mystery vibe for the villain plot, which I really hope comes back in some way. We even got a better Shadow treatment.

Things I didn't like, however,  in the Metal Virus: the moodyness of it, Deadly Six being an annoying joke again, Knuckles being not much present And not leaving the island, the final fight is once again in AIZ. Talk about repetitive. Silver also should have played an even bigger part. Big's debut in 25 was also underwhelming, I could have liked Ian's cameos idea but oh well. Still, I didn't mind it being expanded to the Zeti arc. And have Eggman as big bad in the epilogue for full circle. 

Now... I'm definitely intrigued by the next 2 arcs, it will use a variety of characters including Cream and Shadow... Nice, I hope the mystery aspect returns, and Bad Guys looks interesting, at this point I would have cut Zavok and only have the 4 comic exclusives, since Zavok may be similar to Mimic. I don't know.

One more thing: I hope the Freedom Fighters don't show up, I have thought about it and yeah, especially Sally, they would require to be protagonist and have a certain plot status quo. Sally would take over Amy's role basically. I think their time is done. But if they were to be rebooted hard, as occasional guest characters, I think they would have to be changed so drastically that their fans would no longer enjoy and recognise them anymore. Sally was supposed to be the leader and Sonic's love interest and a Princess for the main kingdom. I don't see how this fits into the world of Sonic anymore.

3 hours ago, Jack out of the comics! said:

Wow... I'm definitely intrigued by the next 2 arcs, it will use a variety of characters including Cream and Shadow... Nice, I hope the mystery aspect returns, and Bad Guys looks interesting, at this point I would have cut Zavok and only have the 4 comic exclusives, since Zavok may be similar to Mimic. I don't know.

First the Froggy shaped cloud, now shapeshifting? Where the hell were all these powers in Lost World? 

One more thing: I hope the Freedom Fighters don't show up, 

No one said anything about the Freedom Fighters?

10 hours ago, NeoZDuwang said:

Oh is that...

Reveal hidden contents

395119090_chaclon2.jpg.3cd13df5e7ae1c254d70db07b35802b3.jpg

CHACLON!?

"Scribble me like one of your Mercian Chao."

13 hours ago, Jack out of the comics! said:

One more thing: I hope the Freedom Fighters don't show up, I have thought about it and yeah, especially Sally, they would require to be protagonist and have a certain plot status quo.

Stop saying this like that’s actually going to happen. They don’t have to be the focus any more than literally any other character, and that can show up or be on the sidelines just as frequently—which they did numerous times back in Archie.

Sally would take over Amy's role basically.

Because leading a whole resistance/restoration organization was totally her role to begin with and not Sally’s.

And, of course, that’s the only role Amy can ever have going for her despite the many other things she’s done in the same comic with Sally in it, and then some. 

I think their time is done. But if they were to be rebooted hard, as occasional guest characters, I think they would have to be changed so drastically that their fans would no longer enjoy and recognise them anymore. Sally was supposed to be the leader and Sonic's love interest and a Princess for the main kingdom. I don't see how this fits into the world of Sonic anymore.

Basically the exact same way she was the first time she was rebooted? Where she wasn’t Sonic’s love interest? And it’s not like we can’t have more than one leader of a group: Sonic, Amy, Knuckles, Vector, Rouge—all of these characters are leaders of their own teams and in some cases bigger organizations. Sally being one isn’t going to change anything more than what’s already here, and it’s blatantly dishonest to say such, especially when you’ve read Archie comics to know this.

Like seriously, we’ve had a discussion about this earlier in this topic for you to pretend like this is something new to you. That you even admit to wanting them to be changed to the point their fans no longer enjoy and recognize them is you intentionally trying to stir things up.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 2

11 hours ago, Jack out of the comics! said:

Sally would take over Amy's role basically.

This would be a good thing though...

I don't see what's the matter since this discussion often comes back to the same things, same criticisms. I just wanted to express my dislike for the FFs again And that they would do more harm than good in the series in general, due to their nature and their role. My post was in response to the Rally campaign. And btw I talked about a lot of things in my post, not just about them.

• Absolutely 1

4 hours ago, Jack out of the comics! said:

I don't see what's the matter since this discussion often comes back to the same things, same criticisms.

Because they don’t go back to the same things and the same criticisms. And you know it, so don’t pretend like you don’t see what the matter is.

You’re not sly with that stunt you pulled—your so called “criticisms” we’re stirring the same flames that started at the very beginning of this thread before Issue 1 was even released. There have been plenty of discussions in this topic about the Freedom Fighters being involved or not and in new roles without backhanded comments like yours being made to stir up drama.

I just wanted to express my dislike for the FFs again And that they would do more harm than good in the series in general, due to their nature and their role. My post was in response to the Rally campaign.

So basically you were stirring the flames. Got it.

And btw I talked about a lot of things in my post, not just about them.

You’re other things weren’t stirring any flames—that’s why that specific part got called out.

• Thumbs Up 4

17 hours ago, Jack out of the comics! said:

One more thing: I hope the Freedom Fighters don't show up, I have thought about it and yeah, especially Sally, they would require to be protagonist and have a certain plot status quo. Sally would take over Amy's role basically. I think their time is done. But if they were to be rebooted hard, as occasional guest characters, I think they would have to be changed so drastically that their fans would no longer enjoy and recognise them anymore. Sally was supposed to be the leader and Sonic's love interest and a Princess for the main kingdom. I don't see how this fits into the world of Sonic anymore.

I'm just going to say the only way I'd want to see the Freedom Fighters again is if IDW began publishing a book set in the Archie continuity. I've brought it up before but there is precedent for books like that. Larry Hama's G.I. Joe is still going strong under IDW, Simon Furman revisited the Marvel Transformers series once for Regeneration One and is still doing so with a currently running series called Transformers '84: Secrets and Lies, the Image Comics Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series currently being reprinted as Urban Legends will be finished with three new issues by the same writer and artist as the 1996-1999 comic.

It's not impossible to continue from where Archie left off. Hell maybe that's even why Ian had to give up writing the main title. Apparently he and Adam Bryce Thomas are working on something secret.

10 hours ago, Jack out of the comics! said:

I don't see what's the matter since this discussion often comes back to the same things, same criticisms. I just wanted to express my dislike for the FFs again And that they would do more harm than good in the series in general, due to their nature and their role. My post was in response to the Rally campaign. And btw I talked about a lot of things in my post, not just about them.

Then do it somewhere else that's more appropriate. Do in the Archie, do it in Unpopular Opinions, hell, bring back something like the Canon Immigrant thread if you please.

Just actually try talking about things where they're appropriate, whether in topic or in context(the latter of which you could've even made).

BumbleKast Questions I thought were interesting

Could nagus's magic cured the metal virus if it happened then?

Ian planned to have nagus die before all that.

Was the idea of having them sort of fuse into weird metalic goopy monsters on the question

Ian says no. But there was a scene planned where tangle was gonna get mushed, but sega said that's too harsh

Question about why scourge needed a super charged warp ring to travel from mobius to moebius and and the destructix didn't need it to travel from the no zone to mobeus

Traveling from world to world requires more oomph. The no zone is between world so its easier to travel. Compares it to walking from one person's house to another vs already being outside and walking into a home

Question about does he know what is and isn't canon.

Its less a list a more so a " ooops sega told me this isn't real " situation, but here is a short list

Knuckles and Chaotix isn't canon.

Sonic Chronicles isn't canon

Olympic series is probably not canon, if that isn't obvious

Other guy says it seems like most spin offs aren't considered canon. Ian Chimes in "yeah kinda"  and further goes to say that unless sonic team had a direct hand in it. You can safely say it isn't canon. Though occasionally weird things like Sonic R is actually canon. The list may change depending on who he asks at the time

Does shadow care about maria's wish anymore?

The impression Ian gets is that , coming out of shadow's game he wasn't going to be ruled by maria's dying wish or anyone. He was going to forge his own path. Self actualization and then he moves on. This bit is Particularly interesting he brings up 06 and talks about how mephilies says humanity will betray you and shadow goes " I don't care i'm going to do things my way" Ian Flynn says that's the direction he think's they are going with him. Current shadow maybe them misunderstanding why people liked 06 shadow. Oh no.

Does TSR come before or after forces?

He say's probably after. Probably shouldn't think so hard about it. Sega doesn't like them directly referencing the games

Takal's whole deal is apparently 3000 years ago. Emerl was found 4000 years ago. Chronicles suggest both were 4k but is now non canon. What's the deal?

Chroncles is non canon. Ignore it and the connection between gizoids and echdina.

Is there older material from archie you would like to reference? Can you?

He says Sega isn't into referencing past incarnations. Also archie might be in some legal limbo , isn't too sure. If things change in the future, he might talk to someone to see if he could do something. But until then, no.

• Thumbs Up 4

I wonder how Naugus would’ve went out, knowing that?

Would really like to see the Nocturnus tho. Is that still banned with IDW, or can they use it with their own liberties?

If Chronicles is non-canon, I think any elements exclusive to it are barred with it. 

Also, it's not shocking that Sonic R is canon when you consider that it falls under "games Sonic Team had a direct hand in". Seriously, look up the staff list; there's a good chunk of it comprising of familiar names from ST.

Sonic 3D and Sonic R were made under similar conditions. Sonic Team did all the conceptual work, level design and so on, while Traveller's Tales handled the development.

I think in a previous podcast Ian said he was told Sonic R was canon when he was working on the "Sonic: Mega Drive" comics, which starred the classic versions of the characters and was released over a year before Sonic Forces.

So I wonder if today Sonic R would only be considered canon for Classic Sonic?

49 minutes ago, Pengi said:

Sonic 3D and Sonic R were made under similar conditions. Sonic Team did all the conceptual work, level design and so on, while Traveller's Tales handled the development.

I think in a previous podcast Ian said he was told Sonic R was canon when he was working on the "Sonic: Mega Drive" comics, which starred the classic versions of the characters and was released over a year before Sonic Forces.

So I wonder if today Sonic R would only be considered canon for Classic Sonic?

It'd be hilarious if a timeline was ever released and revealed the only Classic Sonic games post-3&K that are canon to Modern Sonic's timeline are 3D Blast, R and Sonic the Fighters. 

I still think that in the split timeline that the Game Gear Games and Chaotix are canon to Classic Sonic's new "dimension".

er, silly question but is that supersonic with silver on the cover, or someone else altogether? the reason im asking is because supersonic is yellow not orange.  

8 minutes ago, bingboomer said:

er, silly question but is that supersonic with silver on the cover, or someone else altogether? the reason im asking is because supersonic is yellow not orange.  

Super Sonic, notice how the other characters are also being affected by the lighting

Yeah it's Super Sonic, the colors end up too saturated when the cover solcits get revealed sometimes.

I kinda like the orange though. It's not the same thing really but it kinda reminds me of how he looks more "gold" rather than simply yellow in SA2.

I'm guessing it's due to the entire art being saturated/light, with Super Silver being a lighter shade of gold than him. Yellow would not look good in this case.

About the preview...

Spoiler

Half of me wants Zavok to be dealt with quickly, but then I'd feel "why bother showing him in this issue? It's a waste of valuable pages."

The other half wants Zavok to do something, but I'd be surprised if he manage to win against Tangle, Cheese, Chaotix, and especially Silver (plus possibly more).

Spoiler

Seeing Cheese get in that first hit on Zavok was nothing short of beautiful lol (Not out of spite to Zavok's character, I should note). I just hope Cream herself gets to join in the fight and not get upstaged by the other characters. But admittedly, Team Chaotix and Tangle had been left out of the action for long enough

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, SBR2 said:

It'd be hilarious if a timeline was ever released and revealed the only Classic Sonic games post-3&K that are canon to Modern Sonic's timeline are 3D Blast, R and Sonic the Fighters. 

Sonic the Fighters is unlikely. It has the pre-Heroes version of Espio, and Fang, Bark and Bean are considered Classic Series exclusive characters.

I'll comment on those answers afterwhile; I plan on giving Bumblekast a listen anyway.

Some...interesting things to think about there.

7 hours ago, Wonderworld Ultima said:

Issue 30's RI cover and preview pages:

Hide contents

Efs9Rz5WsAAVgIR?format=jpg&name=medium

Efs5eBdUMAAKV1j?format=jpg&name=small

Efs5e3HVoAA2OPC?format=jpg&name=small

Well aint that cover a bit late.

Spoiler

Who's doing the pencils this time?

What exactly is Zavok trying to accomplish there?

Also like the touch of Vanilla getting in front of Cream.

6 hours ago, bingboomer said:

6 hours ago, StaticMania said:

It's clearly Sonic.

Gold or Yellow are the colors used.

3 hours ago, Celestia said:

I kinda like the orange though. It's not the same thing really but it kinda reminds me of how he looks more "gold" rather than simply yellow in SA2.

1 hour ago, KoDaiko said:

I'm guessing it's due to the entire art being saturated/light, with Super Silver being a lighter shade of gold than him. Yellow would not look good in this case.

Well considering only Hedgehogs can go Super and Shadow ain't it....

Though to be fair, Gold does have a little bit of orange in it, depending on the shade.

About the preview...

Hide contents

Half of me wants Zavok to be dealt with quickly, but then I'd feel "why bother showing him in this issue? It's a waste of valuable pages."

The other half wants Zavok to do something, but I'd be surprised if he manage to win against Tangle, Cheese, Chaotix, and especially Silver (plus possibly more).

I'm kinda there too, tbh.