Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Very cool to see the girls in their Winter-outfits. Much as I like their usual wear, it does provide a nice change of pace. Kind of ironic, though, since Chao don't strike me as doing particularly well in cold places. What with their dependence on fruits, and the overall tropical appearance of most Chao Gardens

I notice on the Sonic and Tails cover, that's one of the robot bears from Sonic 4 Episode 2.

Would've been nice to have the guys with winter outfits too, but oh well.

6 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

There's no reference point for those.

I mean, yeah, but it couldn't be hard to be come up with some.

35 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

I notice on the Sonic and Tails cover, that's one of the robot bears from Sonic 4 Episode 2.

Not only that, but White Park (the Zone from Sonic 4 Episode 2 in which said bears appear) is a setting in this particular arc based on the solicits. Kinda neat seeing that game get a bit of love.

Also, I love the Capybara dude in the stands. Always fun when they go a little interesting with the animal choices for background characters.

7 minutes ago, Licensed Professional CC14 said:

Not only that, but White Park (the Zone from Sonic 4 Episode 2 in which said bears appear) is a setting in this particular arc based on the solicits. Kinda neat seeing that game get a bit of love.

Also, I love the Capybara dude in the stands. Always fun when they go a little interesting with the animal choices for background characters.

Oh is that what he is? I thought it was a hippo

2 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Would've been nice to have the guys with winter outfits too, but oh well.

There was a joke in the last Pre-Reboot Archie Sonic issue about how Amy is wearing more layers than anyone else and her reply is "I'm a delicate lady! I chill easily!" So I guess that's the deal here.

7 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

I mean, yeah, but it couldn't be hard to be come up with some.

There's always the winter outfits from Sonic Boom season 2. As Tails said there:

"It's so cold, I almost had to wear pants."

Or words to that effect. Still, they all had coats on.

On 8/21/2020 at 3:09 PM, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I'm so happy for Amy. She needs a vacation.

Oh definitely. And hey, this is technically a story starring her too.

22 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

tumblr_mvb9fsXlg21qmt85zo1_500.png

The Chao in the 8th lane is wearing a rock as a helmet and wearing the same number as Rocky from the Spongebob Squarepants Episode, "The Great Snail Race".

It really has been quite some time, lol.

21 hours ago, Kaotic Kanine said:

Kind of ironic, though, since Chao don't strike me as doing particularly well in cold places. What with their dependence on fruits, and the overall tropical appearance of most Chao Gardens

Oh yeah, good point.

Well Chao are known for their adaptability, so maybe the cold doesn't bother them as much?

19 hours ago, thumbs13 said:

Finally, we're one step closer to the Spongebob Sonic crossover I've been waiting for.

What an odd combo.

12 hours ago, HywelAtTheMoon said:

There's always the winter outfits from Sonic Boom season 2. As Tails said there:

"It's so cold, I almost had to wear pants."

Or words to that effect. Still, they all had coats on.

I forgot that even happened. Maybe I should rewatch more of Boom one day.

So now that the Deadly 6 are out and about in the world, do you think they'll just return home, rejoin Zavok at some point, or cause problems on their own?

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Oh definitely. And hey, this is technically a story starring her too.

It really has been quite some time, lol.

Oh yeah, good point.

Well Chao are known for their adaptability, so maybe the cold doesn't bother them as much?

What an odd combo.

I forgot that even happened. Maybe I should rewatch more of Boom one day.

The rest of the group may have winter outfits, but God forbid Sonic gets a scarf. I'm sure the licensing team won't allow it.

Here's something to think of: Was the Metal Virus itself somewhat squandered?

On 8/22/2020 at 6:05 PM, Sonictrainer said:

So now that the Deadly 6 are out and about in the world, do you think they'll just return home, rejoin Zavok at some point, or cause problems on their own?

I was wondering that myself amidst a number of other possibilities and both Master Zik & Zazz of all Zeti explicitly state they intent to regroup with him.

Zomom and Zor are a bit open given they just seem to be reacting to their current predicaments, so I suppose it's possible for us to get a story or two with them.

On 8/22/2020 at 6:21 PM, HywelAtTheMoon said:

The rest of the group may have winter outfits, but God forbid Sonic gets a scarf. I'm sure the licensing team won't allow it.

Oh yeah, that Tails line was probably a nod to that mandate.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was looking through some digital notes and found these questions/thoughts 

So y'all think Amy will have to face this plague at some point?

What do you think Whisper's miniseries will do for you?

Is Shadow gonna get it next time or what?

Was Milk related to Cheese?

Sonic smart aerial vector too bad brrak(?)

Cheese and Chocola tag team

I'll let those speak for their context.

Hoping we just have a solid year of just one-offs. Just got my issue 30 and I can say I am thoroughly burned out of long arcs in general. 

Ill be glad just enjoying Bad Guys for a more focused storyline.

Spoilers if you haven't seen future solicits.

Spoiler

The very next story is a two part epilogue, and the story after that is at minimum three parts, possibly four. They're not exactly switching to one-offs by the looks of it, but shorter arcs. 

• Thumbs Up 2

16 minutes ago, Your Vest Friend said:

Spoilers if you haven't seen future solicits.

Reveal hidden contents

The very next story is a two part epilogue, and the story after that is at minimum three parts, possibly four. They're not exactly switching to one-offs by the looks of it, but shorter arcs. 

I could get behind that.

When I first read Issue 30 I was actually pleased with Shadow's portrayal because I assumed he had realized Eggman just took off with Omega. You know, his FRIEND and TEAMMATE?  Then I come to catch up on the thread and am reminded that characterization in this comic is still beholden to the edicts of SEGA's ass and we're all just supposed to forget Team Dark was ever a thing.

latest?cb=20120730222644

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

Sadly the reality of comics is that they're writing for the trade so it has to all be a long interconnected story. I'd love some stand alone stuff but it's just not going to happen.

Spoiler

Interestingly, I think it's meant to be a parallel to Eggman losing his memory back in the earlier issues. Think about it. When Eggman lost his memory, he very much became the opposite of his natural personality, his traits placed in positive ways. He was friendly, humble, kind, and happy helping others and being acknowledged for his work, and his nickname was Mr. Tinkerer.

Now that Sonic's lost his memory, not only has he been dubbed Mr. Needlemouse (obvious reference aside), but his personality is pretty opposite to his usual personality. He's polite, well-spoken, mannerly, and somewhat smarter, compared to Sonic's usual attitude, snark, and so on.

Considering Eggman losing his memory, and Sonic/Shadow's argument over what to do with him was what sparked off the arc, this seems to be the bookends, with Sonic undergoing the same thing.

• Thumbs Up 7

20 minutes ago, Wonderworld Ultima said:
Spoiler

HE FUCKING LOST HIS MEMORY.

Spoiler

*faaaaaart*

I'd be willing to consider this might be going somewhere worthwhile if we didn't already know (or at least, have good evidence to very strongly suspect) that he'll be back to normal by issue 33. But I can't imagine what good is going to come from bringing in the most hackneyed plot device (which the comic has already used, even) and only having two issues to explore it (less, considering there'll be other stuff going on).

2 hours ago, Wonderworld Ultima said:

So.... the preview pages for issue 31 are up and....

Reveal hidden contents

EgXIZeTWoAg4ppf?format=jpg&name=large

EgXIZeUXgAE8SC9?format=jpg&name=large

EgXIZegWoAElS5t?format=jpg&name=large

HE FUCKING LOST HIS MEMORY.

Spoiler

Would you believe I actually had a thought this might happen, but I thought it'd be too cliche'd and there wouldn't be any time to explore it...and sure enough...

I'm not going to say this is bad on principal, but I really have to question what is the point? At least when Eggman lost his memory, it was in service to a debate between Sonic & Shadow and segued into the introduction of Starlene. The solicits of the next arc already spoiled the fact that Sonic will be back to normal by then, so how much time will actually be devoted to this among all of the other stuff going on. I'm really just confused by this decision is all. 

3 minutes ago, Kuzu said:
  Hide contents

Would you believe I actually had a thought this might happen, but I thought it'd be too cliche'd and there wouldn't be any time to explore it...and sure enough...

I'm not going to say this is bad on principal, but I really have to question what is the point? At least when Eggman lost his memory, it was in service to a debate between Sonic & Shadow and segued into the introduction of Starlene. The solicits of the next arc already spoiled the fact that Sonic will be back to normal by then, so how much time will actually be devoted to this among all of the other stuff going on. I'm really just confused by this decision is all. 

You see, this is another example where it feels like Ian's rushing the conclusion to the arc.

Spoiler

I feel like if this particular arc was like four issues long, we could have that spread out between exploring Sonic's memory loss, plus the aftermath involved with the Virus. Like for example, you could probably have Captain Wesker or something attack Blaze's kingdom, and Sonic - without his memory - has no will to fight back, and slowly has to regain it via helping others or something, but in two issues, anything they do now is going to be insanely rushed.

• Thumbs Up 1