Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:
Spoiler

Considering Eggman losing his memory, and Sonic/Shadow's argument over what to do with him was what sparked off the arc, this seems to be the bookends, with Sonic undergoing the same thing.

Spoiler

Obviously the answer to all this is Sonic must be killed to answer for the spread of the Metal Virus. /s

I dunno how necessary this plot point is but, eh, could be fun. It's really amusing since I didn't immediately get that's what they were doing from the first page and thought Blaze was just chewing him out lol

I get comics have to be solicited early because comic shops need to force you to preorder anything you would actually want to read but they really take the fun out of following these storylines when stuff like this comes up.

Spoiler

Looks like this might be Jewel's ferry into adventuring.

I'm still kinda taken aback by how their getting to show stuff in Blaze's world, but then I suppose the Silver Age was an indicator.

Edit: I had something else related to the comic on mind, but friggin forgot it.

52 minutes ago, Kuzu said:
  Hide contents

Would you believe I actually had a thought this might happen, but I thought it'd be too cliche'd and there wouldn't be any time to explore it...and sure enough...

I'm not going to say this is bad on principal, but I really have to question what is the point? At least when Eggman lost his memory, it was in service to a debate between Sonic & Shadow and segued into the introduction of Starlene. The solicits of the next arc already spoiled the fact that Sonic will be back to normal by then, so how much time will actually be devoted to this among all of the other stuff going on. I'm really just confused by this decision is all. 

This kinda feels like possibly a left over bit from when that other plot point was maybe was going to be more relevant.

Spoiler

Like maybe I dunno when sonic got back to earth he still had like memory loss. And maybe i dunno shadow figured he caused the whole zombie thing why not get rid of him. And then the debate would be had again.

WAIT WAIT I figured it out actually. Eggman almost kills him and he decides not to because sonic let him go last time. And then you get your weird limp moral moment that is supposed make eggman seem " human" despite the atrocities caused. Bleh

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Wonderworld Ultima said:

So.... the preview pages for issue 31 are up and....

Reveal hidden contents

EgXIZeTWoAg4ppf?format=jpg&name=large

EgXIZeUXgAE8SC9?format=jpg&name=large

EgXIZegWoAElS5t?format=jpg&name=large

HE FUCKING LOST HIS MEMORY.

Spoiler

So it seems that they will explain some lore about Blaze and the Sol Dimension in this story arc... maybe it will help to understand what happend to Blaze in Sonic 06 and what are the connections between her 06 and Rush versions.

The comics may not be canon, but if SEGA is more strict with IDW compared to Archie, maybe this story takes elements from the actual canon, that were never mentioned in the games but are still true.

As long as they won't start a new Metal Virus story arc with the virus infecting the Sol Dimension, it's ok I think.

3 minutes ago, Iko said:
  Hide contents

So it seems that they will explain some lore about Blaze and the Sol Dimension in this story arc... maybe it will help to understand what happend to Blaze in Sonic 06 and what are the connections between her 06 and Rush versions.

The comics may not be canon, but if SEGA is more strict with IDW compared to Archie, maybe this story takes elements from the actual canon, that were never mentioned in the games but are still true.

As long as they won't start a new Metal Virus story arc with the virus infecting the Sol Dimension, it's ok I think.

06 doesn't matter anymore. Hasn't since at least 2009.

5 hours ago, Wonderworld Ultima said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

There are a couple ways I can see this going somewhere interesting  but they involve ideas that probably need more than 2 issues to work with. 

Posh Sonic is amusing me though so it's not bad. I'll allow it

• Thumbs Up 2

Spoiler

i can feel the emphasis on how everything isn't automatically hunky-dory now just because the metal virus is over and dealt with. if there is a celebration like the one depicted in one of the issue #31 covers, i'd assume it'd be for everyone to try and get their mind off things (before eggman crashes it, of course) 

6 hours ago, Wonderworld Ultima said:

Hide contents

Was blaze quoting black knight there? Her speech sounded familiar.

She's not quoting anything specifically, 2 partial lines of dialogue from Black Knight are in that speech bubble.

6 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

Was blaze quoting black knight there? Her speech sounded familiar.

It's not a direct quote or anything, but some parts are similar to lines in SatBK. Merlina refers to him as being "swift as the wind" when she first summons him, and he says to Percival "I have no master except the wind that blows free". Close enough that I'd guess it's a deliberate reference, thankfully not as on the nose as building a conversation out of song lyrics.

• Thumbs Up 2

Also is it just me, or does the art seem...off? Like, the dialogue seemingly just tries to convey Sonic as polite, and more well-worded, but the art makes him look more smug and arrogant, almost as if he knows full well who he is, but he just really wants to screw with Blaze by making it sound like he has no idea what she's on about?

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Also is it just me, or does the art seem...off? Like, the dialogue seemingly just tries to convey Sonic as polite, and more well-worded, but the art makes him look more smug and arrogant, almost as if he knows full well who he is, but he just really wants to screw with Blaze by making it sound like he has no idea what she's on about?

His expressions are what made that whole bit seem unnerving to me.

1 minute ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I don't think you need to read that deep into it. I think that's just the artist trying to convey his newfound regality

4 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

You see, this is another example where it feels like Ian's rushing the conclusion to the arc.

Hide contents

I feel like if this particular arc was like four issues long, we could have that spread out between exploring Sonic's memory loss, plus the aftermath involved with the Virus. Like for example, you could probably have Captain Wesker or something attack Blaze's kingdom, and Sonic - without his memory - has no will to fight back, and slowly has to regain it via helping others or something, but in two issues, anything they do now is going to be insanely rushed.

You mean, "Sonic Rushed".

6 hours ago, Wonderworld Ultima said:

Hide contents

Damn...Karma really is a bitch...

First Shadow, then Eggman, now Sonic.

As far as being cliche goes...

I want everyone to repeat after me: There is nothing new under the sun. Including that very statement...and the book where it comes from (and yes, I took this from TV Tropes. Bite me. :P). It’s not like any of us could come up with something we haven’t seen before.

I’m curious to see what direction this story will go with.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Damn...Karma really is a bitch...

Hide contents

First Shadow, then Eggman, now Sonic.

As far as being cliche goes...

I want everyone to repeat after me: There is nothing new under the sun. Including that very statement...and the book where it comes from (and yes, I took this from TV Tropes. Bite me. :P). It’s not like any of us could come up with something we haven’t seen before.

I’m curious to see what direction this story will go with.

There is nothing new but at the very least write a plot element that has not only been famously used in Sonic before, but was already used in this comic recently.

11 minutes ago, Slashy said:

There is nothing new but at the very least write a plot element that has not only been famously used in Sonic before, but was already used in this comic recently.

It’s only been done twice in this comic’s three year life as of now and three times in the general knowledge of this franchise’s 30 year history (obviously not counting obscure works and such). There is no reason to treat it like that’s overkill, lest we start treating every tool in storytelling as such.

It’s not like the Monster of the Week trope the games abused for well over a decade after SA1.

If anything, it shows this element coming full circle onto Sonic himself after Eggman went through it.

Spoiler

Everyone is flipping out for Amnesiac!Sonic, but I'm simply overjoyed that we seem to finally be transitioning away from "Amy Acorn" and we're finally going back to the Amy Rose I know and love. Or at least, she'll progress in a way that is actually organic to her character; becoming truly mature whilst keeping her high spirits and intense emotions, rather than being a "straight man tactician"

6 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

It’s only been done twice in this comic’s three year life as of now and three times in the general knowledge of this franchise’s 30 year history (obviously not counting obscure works and such). There is no reason to treat it like that’s overkill.

It’s not like the Monster of the Week trope the games abused for well over a decade after SA1.

If anything, it shows this element coming full circle onto Sonic himself after Eggman went through it.

Why not come up with a more creative or useful way to end the story? I am not going to even pretend that the games didn't get somewhat repetitive with their storylines (hence the removal of the monster Eggman controls breaking free and requiring a Super Sonic boss battle, but the games have started repeating their other plot points now so whatever).

There were lots of ways this epilogue could have been used, but the best way probably should have been dedicating at least some time with the characters confronting the trauma they faced during the arc so we can believably return to the status quo and tell lighthearted stories again.

5 minutes ago, Slashy said:

Why not come up with a more creative or useful way to end the story?

Literally no one is saying you can’t. But there is still no reason to treat something as overkill or a cliche just because it was done twice or boring because it isn’t new.

And there’s still a matter of direction—for all you know, this could lead to something else creative. If you were at the writing seams, you’d likely be guilty of these things too as you were coming up with material.

It's true that what they do with it ultimately matters more than how many times it's been done before, but it's been done to death so hard across all fiction that's come before this that doing it twice in a...what is it, 2-ish years old?...comic series does stick out.

MotW is a different matter; it's definitely a well-worn trope but it's one you can still build an entire series around. You can't really build a series around various characters repeatedly getting amnesia. Well, okay, maybe there's a way if you really lean into it, but Sonic is not a series that can do that.

If you were to make a list of things done to death across fiction, it would be a whole book—or ten—long...

And people would still make stories of them.

Heck, I was sick to death of Zombie Apocalypses a long time ago, and yet still found myself enjoying the Metal Virus arc much the same way people enjoyed The Last of Us or Walking Dead, both of which I’m uninterested in.

2 minutes ago, Slashy said:

Actually amnesia has been a plot point five times in this series, since Chip had it too and arguably Emerl as well.

Oh, dear. I actually forgot about them.

Even so. Direction matters more. If we can come up with many way to have Eggman scheme for world conquest, we can come up with many ways to make other plot points such as that.