Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

1 minute ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Oh, dear. I actually forgot about them.

Even so. Direction matters more. If we can come up with many way to have Eggman scheme for world conquest, we can come up with many ways to make other plot points such as that.

There are more ways to tell plots with Eggman taking over the world than plots about amnesia. In fact Chip and Emerl kind of fill the same function, but in Unleashed's case that wasn't the focus of the plot and Emerl had the whole thing regarding Chaos Emeralds affecting his sentience.

1 minute ago, Slashy said:

There are more ways to tell plots with Eggman taking over the world than plots about amnesia.

Okay, list them. Both of them.

4 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Okay, list them. Both of them.

The taking over the world aspect is merely the motivation for Eggman to do what he does. It is the justification for nearly everything Eggman does in opposition to Sonic and the reason for many of the MOTW plots to occur.

I mean if superhero/shonen comics using this same plot over and over isn't enough, might I suggest Pinky and the Brain for a show thats entirely about someone trying to take over the world?

5 minutes ago, Slashy said:

The taking over the world aspect is merely the motivation for Eggman to do what he does. It is the justification for nearly everything Eggman does in opposition to Sonic and the reason for many of the MOTW plots to occur.

I mean if superhero/shonen comics using this same plot over and over isn't enough, might I suggest Pinky and the Brain for a show thats entirely about someone trying to take over the world?

I said list them, not summarize it.

There’s a variety of amnesia plots as there are a variety of shonen/superhero stories out there—many of them within each other.

Again, nothing new under the sun.

Just now, Sonictrainer said:
  Hide contents

...so where did the Warp Topaz go?

Spoiler

It probably got scattered to another location, similar to the Chaos Emeralds being scattered after something like the Genesis Wave.

I can understand the point about Amnesia; at the end of the day, execution is what matters, but it doesn't really change the fact we're seeing the same plot point being used again so soon after it was initially used, and it's a plot point that tends to grate on people for how overused it is. 

I'm not going to say that having an open-mind is a bad thing, but it's understandable people are gonna be somewhat annoyed, especially if it doesn't go anywhere interesting. 

And yes, the art really does make Sonic look smuger than what is probably intended. I guess that's just the character design at work, but it's unintentionally funny. 

• Thumbs Up 3

24 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:
  Reveal hidden contents

It probably got scattered to another location, similar to the Chaos Emeralds being scattered after something like the Genesis Wave.

Here’s a fun thought: let’s imagine if the Deadly Six get a hold of it!

On second thought...

1 hour ago, Sonictrainer said:
  Hide contents

...so where did the Warp Topaz go?

It exploded.

• Chuckle 1

Well, at least Eggman didn't trick Sonic into fighting and almost killing his friends...

Although I guess technically we got that story twice since it was originally a story from the SATAM "No Brainer" before Archie used it in #27-28...

I’m in the camp that finds Sonic’s expressions here amusing with the dialogue. I kind of want it to last longer than 2 issues and his memory make a gradual comeback, but since it’s likely to be resolved within 2 issues then I’m wondering what object/event/etc will trigger the full memory restoration.

I don't mind the amnesia trope much here as I'm more curious about why Sonic seems to be acting like a totally different person. He's all smarmy and verbose, it makes me wonder if there's something more going on here than simply amnesia, or if I'm just looking too much into it.

It seems more like his brain got scrambled by the warp, resulting in new "memories" replacing his real ones.

Functionally not that different from an amnesia kind of plot, but yeah.

Hmm... They could do it this way,

His memory comes back but leaves some kind of Ptsd of coming so close to turning into a zombot as seen in issue 29. It could haunt him in a way like seeing his reflection of what he could've become, y'know, traumatize him into thinking the metal virus is still around, that his friends still aren't safe, throw him off his game for a while and there you go. The next story arc.

I gotta be honest I don't see how "Sonic is in the next arc" means his amnesia will be dealt with at the end of this issue. For all we know "season 3" will be about him getting his memory back. It'd honestly be a good excuse to do a special or something to show off how the games happenedin the IDW continuity. 

• Thumbs Up 5

14 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I gotta be honest I don't see how "Sonic is in the next arc" means his amnesia will be dealt with at the end of this issue. For all we know "season 3" will be about him getting his memory back. It'd honestly be a good excuse to do a special or something to show off how the games happenedin the IDW continuity. 

One of the solicits mentions Rouge calling for help from Sonic, there's no reason for that description if Sonic didn't have memories back and aware of his capabilities.

23 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

One of the solicits mentions Rouge calling for help from Sonic, there's no reason for that description if Sonic didn't have memories back and aware of his capabilities.

"Who is this bat girl that keeps asking for my help?"

15 hours ago, Slashy said:

There are more ways to tell plots with Eggman taking over the world than plots about amnesia. In fact Chip and Emerl kind of fill the same function, but in Unleashed's case that wasn't the focus of the plot and Emerl had the whole thing regarding Chaos Emeralds affecting his sentience.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old RepublicShadow the Hedgehog, 50 First Dates, Death NoteChuck, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, and Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice all have plots involving amnesia or memory loss in some capacity. Some are more similar than others, and not all are necessarily executed well, but there are substantive differences in how each one handles the subject. I won't go so far as to say there are more ways to do amnesia than "villain wants to take over the world" but there is certainly more than one.

• Thumbs Up 4

At the moment, I don't think we need to think too hard about the super powerful story reason this decision was made.  I'm feeling like they just want to entertain us with poshe, british, regal, elegant, Mr. Needlemouse for two issues and that's it.

I do like how it's pretty much the same thing that happened to Eggman where their personalities seem to have just been switched by a cosmic item that went out of control. It being done again would probably annoy me more if there was no connection or if it felt like they were going to go into a long stretch about it but if he's returning to normal soon based on the solicits than I can only see this as an excuse to have some fun.

So it would seem the epilogue and the arcs afterward are going to be the world-building, cartoonish little story arcs some people wanted and we're kicking it off with British Sonic. Cool.

• Thumbs Up 5

8 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I do like how it's pretty much the same thing that happened to Eggman where their personalities seem to have just been switched by a cosmic item that went out of control. It being done again would probably annoy me more if there was no connection or if it felt like they were going to go into a long stretch about it but if he's returning to normal soon based on the solicits than I can only see this as an excuse to have some fun.

Come on, what kind of idiot would decide to fundamentally rewrite a character's personality via the excuse of amnesia and turn them into an unlikeable dick for a long comic stretch, say 2 or 3 years? 

What kind of company would be insane enough to do something like that?

Spoiler

latest?cb=20200820163251

Oh right, the idiots at DC who turned Nightwing into an unlikable dick for two years, and then had him get brainwashed twice by two different villains.

18 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

At the moment, I don't think we need to think too hard about the super powerful story reason this decision was made.  I'm feeling like they just want to entertain us with poshe, british, regal, elegant, Mr. Needlemouse for two issues and that's it.

Yeah I think this idea got as far as "British sonic" and they decided to throw it in. I'm not complaining, but I hope some of the other characters get to see it before its fixed. 

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Am I the only one who doesn't really care?

I don't think it's a big deal.

I care as far in as hoping Mr. Needlemouse makes me laugh for the brief time he's around.

But I'm not getting all bent out of shape because it's amnesia again or whatever. If it's just an excuse to have some fun with a shift in Sonic's personality for two issues, than I don't see why I would care that much either.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I don't think it's a big deal.

I care as far in as hoping Mr. Needlemouse makes me laugh for the brief time he's around.

But I'm not getting all bent out of shape because it's amnesia again or whatever. If it's just an excuse to have some fun with a shift in Sonic's personality for two issues, than I don't see why I would care that much either.

That's fair. I don't feel any inclination to judge or really think about Mr. Needlemouse(oh, and I guess Marine was possibly the one who named him) until the story and what it's out to do is actually available.

I'm honestly a little more concerned about what's going on with Blaze and Jewel among others by comparison. Which isn't that uncommon, now that I think about it.

1 hour ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

This is how I feel. Respectfully, I think some people are overanalyzing it for something that looks to be very short term. It is just playing around with an idea for 1-3 issues max for fun. If they ended the arc the "normal way" then people would be complaining that the issue is empty and boring and doesn't do anything. 

To me amnesia is bad when it is lazily used as a plot device to force something to happen. But it shouldn't be banned or anything from all fiction. This just seems to be more along the "What if" train of thought.