Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

7 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Bad news guys.

According to this, the SEGA mandates are back. What do think of this?

Where does he say that?

11 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Where does he say that?

Second question in the Q&A section. The Q&A section is in the description.

2 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Second question in the Q&A section. The Q&A section is in the description.

That's kind of disappointing. 

1 minute ago, RedFox99 said:

That's kind of disappointing. 

Well, it's a little lessened for me, since in the panel, they said that they can actually go to SEGA on a "case to case" basis. What worries me is if SEGA will listen...

1 minute ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Well, it's a little lessened for me, since in the panel, they said that they can actually go to SEGA on a "case to case" basis. What worries me is if SEGA will listen...

I'm was kind of hoping to see more Blaze and Cream.

1 minute ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Why wouldn't you see more of Blaze because of this?

Weren't one of the mandates that Blaze and anything pertaining to the Sol dimension were to be used sparingly?

37 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

According to this, the SEGA mandates are back. What do think of this?

>a licensed tie-in comic for a corporate mascot series has mandates

whoa never saw this coming

In all seriousness... I don't really care, I never thought they were that unreasonable to begin with. And Ian even says in the podcast that the dreaded mandates weren't as bad as fans like to claim. I don't know why anyone was expecting Sega to have no mandates whatsoever for IDW.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

Weren't one of the mandates that Blaze and anything pertaining to the Sol dimension were to be used sparingly?

Could be. I don't remember seeing that one though.

Although, to be honest, I'd probably use the Sol Dimension thing sparingly regardless if it were mandated. Either that or find a way to make it integral to the plot without feeling like you're forcing things to happen there, which may or may not be a hard task.

It's typically a lot easier working within the world it's set in unless a story arc specifically takes place somewhere else or something.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Could be. I don't remember seeing that one though.

Although, to be honest, I'd probably use the Sol Dimension thing sparingly regardless if it were mandated. Either that or find a way to make it integral to the plot without feeling like you're forcing things to happen there, which may or may not be a hard task.

It's typically a lot easier working within the world it's set in unless a story arc specifically takes place somewhere else or something.

That's a fair point.

My biggest concern with the mandates are that our chances of seeing Eggman Nega are very slim, since Sonic Team can't figure out what to do with him outside of spinoffs like the Olympics.

But other than that, we're not missing anything of value. (Sonic crying, any game character dying, having relatives or getting into a relationship, etc.) Sonic not being allowed to flat-out lose would be a concern, but Ian has developed several workarounds to that, such as Sonic always making a comeback or Eggman getting a small victory that turns out to be ultimately meaningless. 

1 hour ago, Mister X said:

In all seriousness... I don't really care, I never thought they were that unreasonable to begin with. And Ian even says in the podcast that the dreaded mandates weren't as bad as fans like to claim.

The only thing I care about is whether or not they've lightened up on allowing Sonic to lose. I don't want something as cool as what happened in 175 to take place only for it to be immediately reversed and made better than it was before two issues later. 

Other than that, they haven't seemed to be the cause of a lot of my problems with the comics. I remember Ian saying that he was worried about having Sonic and Tails fight each other in that awful House of Cards story but when he proposed the idea to SEGA they were like "Yeah. Sure. Go ahead. Sounds cool." Gave him the okay without a problem.

Issue 175 was a LONG time ago at this point and taking Forces into consideration, maybe they actually have lightened up on it? Who knows. Other than that, I've got nothing.

Edit: @Forterror-Metallix Oh yeah. And Eggman Nega. Him too.

• Nice Smile 1

Just now, Dr. Detective Mike said:

The only thing I care about is whether or not they've lightened up on allowing Sonic to lose. I don't want something as cool as what happened in 175 to take place only for it to be immediately reversed and made better than it was before two issues later. 

Other than that, they haven't seemed to be the cause of a lot of my problems with the comics. I remember Ian saying that he was worried about having Sonic and Tails fight each other in that awful House of Cards story but when he proposed the idea to SEGA they were like "Yeah. Sure. Go ahead. Sounds cool." Gave him the okay without a problem.

Issue 175 was a LONG time ago at this point and taking Forces into consideration, maybe they actually have lightened up on it? Who knows. Other than that, I've got nothing.

I do wonder if they'll let Cream fight. I know she did some beatings late into the SWC. 

I wonder when they decided that Cream shouldn't be allowed to fight. It's a long time ago at this point, but Sonic Battle and Sonic X will always stand out to me as clear examples that Cream and Cheese can hold their own.

• Thumbs Up 4

I don't see the point of Eggman Nega for comic Sonic when he's been established as the darker and edgier Eggman. And that's already comic Sonic's Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

I wonder when they decided that Cream shouldn't be allowed to fight. It's a long time ago at this point, but Sonic Battle and Sonic X will always stand out to me as clear examples that Cream and Cheese can hold their own.

Yeah, that's what made the decision strange; especially when she was shown fighting later in the reboot.

18 minutes ago, Almar said:

I don't see the point of Eggman Nega for comic Sonic when he's been established as the darker and edgier Eggman. And that's already comic Sonic's Eggman.

Ah, you mean Archie Comics Eggman.. but this is IDW Eggman.

And Nega is still an omnicidal maniac, in contrast to Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Razule said:

That makes me wonder how Ian will write Eggman. I imagine possibly the same as before.

I still have hope for IDW, since it's in Ian's world with a blank slate. Also, as I said, they can take it to SEGA if they need to get past a mandate and they'll work things out... I hope.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, GentlemanX said:

Eh.

Honestly, it doesn't matter to me. I've gone on and on about how Cream always had issues being a character that they never really gave much justification for appearing in place of other characters that did. I don't have a problem with her being around and doing stuff but it always felt like everyone in the cast, aside from her, had personal motivations or occupations, or something to rely on aside from just their personality traits.

Sonic and Tails kind of share the same motivation but their personalities enhance what they try to do and what they get out of the adventures they're on. Knuckles is the Guardian of the Master Emerald. Shadow's a G.U.N agent. Rouge is a spy/thief/hired hand/treasure hunter/club owner/something else I'm sure. The Chaotix are all detectives. Omega wants to be the very best of Eggman's robots like no one ever was.. also wants to destroy him.

Whenever Cream would show up and someone else didn't I would always lament the fact that I wasn't following someone who I found more interesting. Cream needs SEGA and Sonic Team to give her something other than "I'm polite and people call me Amy's sidekick sometimes". Once she gets that, I may finally care. Maybe actually work on that whole connection with Chao she seems to have and turn it into something neat. Who knows? As it stands, I'm not too broken up about her not getting to do stuff. 

"Oh, she's fighting for her friends" was never good enough. So are, pretty much, everyone else. 

1 hour ago, Almar said:

Eggman Nega is insane. Dude's mentally unhinged like crazy. 

The guy tried to turn the planet into a playing card in Rivals. Blaze even said in that mini manga that they did a while back that he doesn't care about ruling the world, he just wants to destroy it.

I don't know what that guy's problem is but I'd like to see someone take a crack at exploring it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

19 minutes ago, Razule said:

I doubt Ian will write Eggman different here than in Archie Sonic. That Eggman would cause the universal apocalypse if it meant Sonic would lose.

28 minutes ago, Razule said:

Darker and edgier Eggman. And Archie Eggman would trigger a universal apocalypse if it meant Sonic would lose.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Eggman Nega is insane. Dude's mentally unhinged like crazy. 

The guy tried to turn the planet into a playing card in Rivals. Blaze even said in that mini manga that they did a while back that he doesn't care about ruling the world, he just wants to destroy it.

I don't know what that guy's problem is but I'd like to see someone take a crack at exploring it.

Archie Eggman (and so also IDW Eggman) has already been shown as being out of touch with reality,

2 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

The guy tried to turn the planet into a playing card in Rivals. Blaze even said in that mini manga that they did a while back that he doesn't care about ruling the world, he just wants to destroy it

Wait, they did a minI manga?

3 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Whenever Cream would show up and someone else didn't I would always lament the fact that I wasn't following someone who I found more interesting. Cream needs SEGA and Sonic Team to give her something other than "I'm polite and people call me Amy's sidekick sometimes". Once she gets that, I may finally care. Maybe actually work on that whole connection with Chao she seems to have and turn it into something neat. Who knows? As it stands, I'm not too broken up about her not getting to do stuff. 

You have a point there.

1 hour ago, Almar said:

Archie Eggman (and so also IDW Eggman) has already been shown as being out of touch with reality,

;I haven't seen anything from IDW Eggman yet. I actually do hope he's reigned in a tad so that he could feel a bit more like how I perceive Eggman's character to be. I love Archie's version of Eggman. The ruthlessness is great and all but there's always been a bit of a sting that comes with making him too willingly unhinged. 

Now, Eggman snapping in a fit of rage and doing something drastic that would be cataclysmic? That's generally something I'm okay with. The point of something like that is that it's him at one of his low points, losing control of his emotions. To be constantly like that, though, is a different matter entirely. That's usually what Eggman Nega is. It'd be interesting just to see how Ian makes them different.

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

Wait, they did a minI manga?

The manga pages they released for the 25th anniversary for all the characters a while back? Remember those?