Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Spoiler

Ege7EvFU8AEqCzx?format=jpg&name=medium

Evan Stanley: "It's that time again, the time where I paint a really realistic close-up of Sonic looking pretty."

I feel like the idea its just for fun looses steam when you consider this isn't a new story this the end of a multi year arc and if the protagonist ending up in the same situation as the antagonist. Said protagonist letting the antagonist go is the cause of the entire arc. If ends up just for fun and meaningless is kind of like a missed opportunity if not just a failure of the narrative and possible corporate overlords.

Do I think it will mean nothing? No , i'm prepping myself for some lukewarm moment of " see eggman didn't kill him its good to not kill people " and just ignore the entire year(s) of pain that happened and the continued pain he is going to cause.

If it does mean nothing that would be funny, not in the way they want though. In a "the narrative has just gone from kind of bad to funny bad" kinda way

It would be kind of a copout to have the conclusion of this arc be a direct call back to the event that started it, but then just do nothing with it because its "fun".

I'm not assuming the worst yet, but I can't really imagine what's the point of doing this if they didn't have some type of followup in mind to the Tinkerer situation, and just say "it's for fun" but that's just me, I can understand if people don't care to read much into it and are just along for the ride.

I can respect that. I guess I don't read it too seriously but I won't tell anyone they need to feel one way or the other.

Personally I kinda see it as Ian's own, "it's like poetry. It rhymes" moment. At the beginning of the arc, Eggman lost his memory, and at the end Sonic loses his. It's a bit pretentious.

Mind control and amnesia are such overused plot devices in this franchise, and %80 it doesn't go anywhere. Still, hopefully Ian does something with it, and we can finally move on from this thing.

13 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

So do ya'll think Jewel will be the new leader of the Restoration, possibly with a certain restriction in mind?

I think the restoration is all but disbanded at this point, and Jewel taking over is just to free up Amy to do anything else.

16 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

I think the restoration is all but disbanded at this point, and Jewel taking over is just to free up Amy to do anything else.

That almost sounds like the Neutral ending of Undertale.

5 hours ago, DabigRG said:

So do ya'll think Jewel will be the new leader of the Restoration, possibly with a certain restriction in mind?

What restriction is that? I like the idea though. I wonder if Jewel is going to grow into a more courageous character over time, or hell, in a sense become like Sally and becomes a true leader.

I wonder what Opposite Tails would be like if the Cosmic Memory Shift happened to him. He'd probably be like one of the greaser dogs from Catdog.

God, not only would that be funny but it'd probably piss off Ken Penders when he sees it and tries to claim they stole his unique idea of an Anti-Tails who wears leather and acts like a punk. 

That's like double the entertainment right there. 

• Chuckle 2

25 minutes ago, Silvereyes said:

What restriction is that?

On Lanolin.

I like the idea though. I wonder if Jewel is going to grow into a more courageous character over time,

Possibly.

To be fair, her worrisome moments makes sense given that she is ultimately a curator and yet has already been on some mini adventures looking after Tangle. Which probably made her more worrisome.

or hell, in a sense become like Sally and becomes a true leader.

I can't tell if that would be horrible or humorous.

9 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I wonder what Opposite Tails would be like if the Cosmic Memory Shift happened to him. He'd probably be like one of the greaser dogs from Catdog.

God, not only would that be funny but it'd probably piss off Ken Penders when he sees it and tries to claim they stole his unique idea of an Anti-Tails who wears leather and acts like a punk. 

That's like double the entertainment right there. 

I forgot that Ian was largely responsible for Miles.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

On Lanolin.

In my mind, her name will always be Lambchop. Would be cool if she very slowly became a character, or at least a nice extra. I suppose ABT would also have to let the other artists use her as well.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Possibly.

To be fair, her worrisome moments makes sense given that she is ultimately a curator and yet has already been on some mini adventures looking after Tangle. Which probably made her more worrisome.

I find Jewel very interesting, especially since it does feel like Jewel isn't really talked about that much in this thread much. (Although I do tend to miss large chunks of this thread from time to time.)
It's interesting, because Jewel isn't quite a major character in the way Tangle or Whisper are, a major player like Dr Starline, or arguably even a clear defined singular role like henchmen Rough and Tumble. Of the new additions, she is by far the most secondary of the permanent cast. And while part of her role is to be a friend and a bit of a foil of Tangle, and makes up the Sonic tradition of being the third member of Tangle and Whisper's team, she hasn't had any major role so far. I guess I'm curious because I just think the writers must have some intention with her, I don't think she would be introduced as a permanent mainstay without some plan in mind.

I mention becoming like Sally, but thinking, maybe Jewel will be like Mina from the Archie comics? Start of as a meek side character, but through events, grows into a more confident character who can kick a bit of ass like everyone else, or again, my idea of her maybe making a very goodleader and delegator.

I'm not sure Jewel is anyone's favourite character yet, unlike the love Tangle and Whisper are getting, including from me. But I dunno, I want to give Jewel a chance, and sortof hoping she becomes a character that rises to be as great as Tangle and Whisper are right now.

44 minutes ago, Silvereyes said:

In my mind, her name will always be Lambchop. Would be cool if she very slowly became a character, or at least a nice extra. I suppose ABT would also have to let the other artists use her as well.

That's exactly it--she likely can't.

Lanolin(and likely Scruffy and Stars) was a mere bystander who was undetailed in the script and left up to ABT's artistic license and when he noticed fans had indeed taken a shine to her, he gave her a name and continued to work her into the issues with the Restoration that he penciled.

However, Sega has a firm grip on this comic's creativity compared to before, down to determining what species a new character can be and approving the final design; they likely wouldn't take kindly to the whiff of a character having been snuck in under their nose for so long. 

Mr. Flynn feared this was the case back when she was brought up on Bumblekast and it was recently given credence by the cover of the most recent issue 29, where she was originally present in the inks before being edited out.

IDW_StH_30_A_LineArt.jpg

I find Jewel very interesting, especially since it does feel like Jewel isn't really talked about that much in this thread much. (Although I do tend to miss large chunks of this thread from time to time.)
It's interesting, because Jewel isn't quite a major character in the way Tangle or Whisper are, a major player like Dr Starline, or arguably even a clear defined singular role like henchmen Rough and Tumble. Of the new additions, she is by far the most secondary of the permanent cast. And while part of her role is to be a friend and a bit of a foil of Tangle, and makes up the Sonic tradition of being the third member of Tangle and Whisper's team, she hasn't had any major role so far. I guess I'm curious because I just think the writers must have some intention with her, I don't think she would be introduced as a permanent mainstay without some plan in mind.

That's likely because there really wasn't much to talk about.

Unlike Tangle and to a far lesser extent Whisper, her existence wasn't really publicized and unlike Starline or I guess Mimic, her role wasn't a reflection of the story arc to come; unless I'm misremembering and it's the same story where the Babylon Rogues kidnap her, in which case she doubles as another way to humanize Whisper. She was simply a character meant to complement Tangle from the ground up and thus it made sense to introduce in a side story that happens in her hometown. 

It is worth noting thought that she did indeed turn out to be a special case--SonicTeam later admitted they aren't too fond of bug characters and Mr. Flynn even cited her in confusion when they forced him to change one of the Diamond Cutters to no avail.

I mention becoming like Sally, but thinking, maybe Jewel will be like Mina from the Archie comics? Start of as a meek side character, but through events, grows into a more confident character who can kick a bit of ass like everyone else, or again, my idea of her maybe making a very goodleader and delegator.

That makes a bit more sense, I suppose.

I'm not sure Jewel is anyone's favourite character yet, unlike the love Tangle and Whisper are getting, including from me. But I dunno, I want to give Jewel a chance, and sortof hoping she becomes a character that rises to be as great as Tangle and Whisper are right now.

Err, we'll see.

I hope they're able to do some world building in the comics, like cities, countries, and whatnot. I find it severely lacking in the games, so here's hoping the comics can at least.

( i also feel like say having them get bonked in the head and becoming very simular to weird, evil counter parts of themselves that may or may have not existed as the opposite of what happened to eggman is kind of a missed opportunity narratively. But maybe another time)

Last two previews:

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

Amy's getting that break and the Skunk bros were stuck under there the whole time lmao

• Chuckle 4

4 hours ago, Wonderworld Ultima said:

Last two previews:

Hide contents

spacer.png

spacer.png

Amy's getting that break and the Skunk bros were stuck under there the whole time lmao

Called it.

Spoiler

Looks like Amy was an admin rather than an outright leader of the Restoration. That dig at Knuckles is...well, to focus on the heart of it, does this imply Knuckles did more than lead the charge?

Didn't expect to see Rough and Tumble make their comeback here, rescued by the two [hero] characters with long tails no less.  

22 hours ago, Wonderworld Ultima said:

Last two previews:

Reveal hidden contents

spacer.png

spacer.png

Marvelous Amy lost that job that consumed her every waking moment hopefully Amy can get back to chasing Sonic are at least do something more interesting then wanting to help people.

43 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Marvelous Amy lost that job that consumed her every waking moment hopefully Amy can get back to chasing Sonic are at least do something more interesting then wanting to help people.

...Why wouldn't a Hero want to help people? 

The last arc was all about stressing out each of the heroes and Amy was no different. Putting her out in front rather than having her bringing up the rear we got to see another side of her character and exposed her to that relentless pressure. It took something overwhelming to wear Sonic down over the course of the metal virus saga and honestly Amy's troubles weren't far behind. She took on the burden of the planet and shouldered it well for as long as she did.

Its nice that they are thinking long game, and removing Amy from that role moving forward, but I honestly appreciate the time she spent there. There weren't many good options to fill in that role and Amy isn't the type of person to just not help. It flushes out her character a bit. 

• Thumbs Up 4

52 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

...Why wouldn't a Hero want to help people? 

Hero's do more then just help others do things their just people they have lives of their own to get to.  

Amy will obviously get to do more fun stuff, like the Chao Races, and I'm all for it! IMO it worked during the Metal Virus, because of the stakes and the situation, as DogTagz said everyone was under psychological stress, but please, let Amy have a break.

Jewel is so precious, but yeah her role is basically a plot device, first a friend to Tangle, and now she's taking over Amy's old boring job, thankfully. She's good but not that important. I'd argue the 4 villains of the new mini are more important than her (Rough, Tumble, Dr. Starline and Mimic).