Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

40 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

The world should just go back to normal after the threats over, it's not like Sonic sticks around to help with cleanup...

Why do we need to see the world being rebuilt? Just jump ahead when the world is fixed or have it be a background element.

4 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

In games (usually) we don't.

Because it is not important for the audience to see. It can make a fun continuity nod and background element, but otherwise you are limiting what the characters can do.

You're not limiting what the characters can do unless it's their home...

And most of the Sonic characters are just drifters anyway, like I said...it's not like Sonic ever sticks around for cleanup.

They do it here because Eggman taking over the world should have a lasting effect on the world. This isn't like SA1 where Perfect Chaos destroyed one city or Unleashed where literally no damage is done when the world splits. This is something you can actually work with and it doesn't even need to happen every time.

• Thumbs Up 5

17 hours ago, DabigRG said:

I guess a little girl having a loving home to return to I'd pointless.

That's a nice thing, but not what I mean. Vanilla does nothing aside of being Cream's mother. She doesn't even do anything to/with Cream... it's only implied that she educated her but it's almost never shown. With a character like that, the "damsel in distress" cliche is the only thing you can do, and it's already been done a few times. If we take IDW into account, not only she does nothing aside of getting infected, but also she tells Cream to stay home, that she's not a hero, to leave the adventures to the other more skilled characters, so basically she's an obstacle to Cream getting involved in the plot. I get that having a family to protect is actually a nice thing, but this does not justify the members of that family to just existing and not contributing with the story. Vanilla could have a work, do something in life, be an influent person (maybe she has noble origins), I don't know... we know nothing of her life aside that she does tea parties with Cream and Gemerl. If you can't develop her as a full character, then better to go with the Fang/Nack route and just forget that she even exists unless a very specific context of the story needs her to cameo for some reason (and I mean let Cream be a totally independent character like Charmy, Tails and Marine, who are also kids but can be around even without the need of their family to be mentioned).

12 minutes ago, Slashy said:

Why do we need to see the world being rebuilt? Just jump ahead when the world is fixed or have it be a background element.

4 minutes ago, Slashy said:

Because it is not important for the audience to see. It can make a fun continuity nod and background element, but otherwise you are limiting what the characters can do.

I think that's the intention, else stories wouldn't focus on chao races.

7 hours ago, StaticMania said:

The world should just go back to normal after the threats over, it's not like Sonic sticks around to help with cleanup...

7 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Do they, though? Like, is this something a loose association of superpowered teens should be handling? The Resistance was one thing, when you're backed into a corner you use what you've got, and "people who have experience fighting the bad guy" is kind of what they'd want. But with the Restoration it almost feels like the characters we know are the only real people so they've gotta run the whole world.

6 hours ago, Slashy said:

The implication is that it'll be happening off screen, genius. That both keeps the first two years from being pointless and it's a potential hook for any future stories involving those locations and/or Jewel.

This isn't hard, especially when the one holdup about it is being dealt with.

6 hours ago, Iko said:

That's a nice thing, but not what I mean. Vanilla does nothing aside of being Cream's mother. She doesn't even do anything to/with Cream... it's only implied that she educated her but it's almost never shown. With a character like that, the "damsel in distress" cliche is the only thing you can do, and it's already been done a few times. If we take IDW into account, not only she does nothing aside of getting infected, but also she tells Cream to stay home, that she's not a hero, to leave the adventures to the other more skilled characters, so basically she's an obstacle to Cream getting involved in the plot. I get that having a family to protect is actually a nice thing, but this does not justify the members of that family to just existing and not contributing with the story. Vanilla could have a work, do something in life, be an influent person (maybe she has noble origins), I don't know... we know nothing of her life aside that she does tea parties with Cream and Gemerl.

6 hours ago, Iko said:

If you can't develop her as a full character, then better to go with the Fang/Nack route and just forget that she even exists unless a very specific context of the story needs her to cameo for some reason (and I mean let Cream be a totally independent character like Charmy, Tails and Marine, who are also kids but can be around even without the need of their family to be mentioned).

I think that's the intention, else stories wouldn't focus on chao races.

I mean they don't really have families, but getting back to the point

I like you how stated the obvious solution that already exists here, so I kinda have to.

8 hours ago, Slashy said:

Why? Because that’s how development works.

Jumping ahead is the exact same thing Forces did in the beginning when they skipped ahead when the world was conquered, and that didn’t work in its favor.

And right now is the time to slow things down after they just finished surviving an apocalypse.

• Thumbs Up 6

3 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:
  Hide contents

Speaking of OCs, what animal do you think Clutch is?

Spoiler

Immediate thought would be some sort of fowl for whatever reason. 

Given that Chao, Cream, and Rouge were always involved, it might be something that provides a visible contrast to them.

It might be something uncommon/obscure, given how Mr. Flynn liked to go for them. But Ms. Stanley is in charge of this story, so it might the second.

6 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:
  Hide contents

I don't know why but I was thinking of a Peacock...

Huh. Well it is one of the Mobini in SA2, iirc

I don't get why some of you are so upset with Restoration. It's just the closest thing Flynn now has to government for Sonic to interact with. First it was Acorn Kingdom, then GUN and various Freedom Fighter groups, now Restoration.

It's jut handy to have something like this laying around. So any time plot requires, IDK, a space shuttle or put criminal in prison you can just say "Restoration took care of that" and move on.

As long as Amy can leave the group and be herself, there are few drawbacks for this group to exist and show up when it's convenient for the plot.

• Thumbs Up 5

It's only a matter of time before a government group (royal or republic) has to be introduced. Eggman has lost pretty much all territory he gained after being defeated, and surely the Restoration can't act as an interim forever, no matter who is running things.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I don't get why some of you are so upset with Restoration. It's just the closest thing Flynn now has to government for Sonic to interact with. First it was Acorn Kingdom, then GUN and various Freedom Fighter groups, now Restoration.

It's jut handy to have something like this laying around. So any time plot requires, IDK, a space shuttle or put criminal in prison you can just say "Restoration took care of that" and move on.

As long as Amy can leave the group and be herself, there are few drawbacks for this group to exist and show up when it's convenient for the plot.

1 hour ago, HywelAtTheMoon said:

It's only a matter of time before a government group (royal or republic) has to be introduced. Eggman has lost pretty much all territory he gained after being defeated, and surely the Restoration can't act as an interim forever, no matter who is running things.

To be fair

Sonic land has never had that. If the " two worlds theory was a thing since adventure " is true. Sonic land has never actually had that. If anything it was actively critical of governing organizations

5 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Why not just bring back GUN? At least Sonic and friends had no interest in ever being a part of it.

1) Because Two World thing

2) Because Mobian need their own goverment, not just humans taking care of things.

3) Because GUN Commander never won any popularity award. Comic might as well make their own cool characters.

With that said I wonder: how long Restoration can exist and still call itself "Restoration"? Even if we ignore the loose connection to Forces, will world keep needing to be "restored" after hundred issues or so? (Well, I guess Flynn has time to considered that issue).

Just now, Slashy said:

Why not just bring back GUN? At least Sonic and friends had no interest in ever being a part of it.

Sega has no interest in it. Its animal world.

Also just on a general brand level, gun isn't a good idea right now.

42 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

To be fair

Sonic land has never had that. If the " two worlds theory was a thing since adventure " is true. Sonic land has never actually had that. If anything it was actively critical of governing organizations

...well, Blaze, Elise, & Donda Pa are royalty.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a place on Sonic's world run by a Monarchy

2 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

...well, Blaze, Elise, & Donda Pa are royalty.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a place on Sonic's world run by a Monarchy

Blaze is an entirely other world that was never expanded upon and we don't know where donda pa's from. Or if he will ever show up again. Also Elise is from human land. Also that entire narrative is like how that government screwed up. Like sonic in general is pretty critical of government and government like entities. Which doesn't exclude them from existing but sonic's world at least through the eyes of the people who played apart in its creation tends to represent a sort of ideal. And the character protecting it rather than the world itself housing things to be critical of. Those things tend to be long dead , like the echidinas and gizoids, whatever the fuck was going on with the birds. 

Animal planet still upholds to the three very not subtle themes. Family isn't what you make its who you are born with. And oppressive governments are bad. Save the environment.

Would I like to see governments and countries in sonic land? I would like to say yes, but it would soley depend on if they were actually used. Having them just there does nothing, but having them react to things and possibly individual characters and have different cultures would be interesting. And just fun.

That said, it isn't how sega view that world. Its an Ideal more than a real place

Sonic's world just straight up has next to nothing there current civilisation wise. Almost all of its hallmarks are ancient and practically all of the interesting populations are on the human world. It's not just because of the extended delay in establishing the two World's and how they work, but that's a large part of it.

Hell, it took this very comic doing a rare instance of worldbuilding to have the city from Forces be anything.

You can take the glass half full perspective and look at it as a blank slate this comic can use. It's unfortunate that we don't have access to a lot of the organizations and landmarks that would be useful but a lot of you have been asking for a reboot of some kind anyway. 

33 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Sonic's world just straight up has next to nothing there current civilisation wise. Almost all of its hallmarks are ancient and practically all of the interesting populations are on the human world. It's not just because of the extended delay in establishing the two World's and how they work, but that's a large part of it.

Hell, it took this very comic doing a rare instance of worldbuilding to have the city from Forces be anything.

Why not just set the comic in the human world which is better defined then?

20 minutes ago, Wraith said:

You can take the glass half full perspective and look at it as a blank slate this comic can use. It's unfortunate that we don't have access to a lot of the organizations and landmarks that would be useful but a lot of you have been asking for a reboot of some kind anyway. 

I have. It's just not that and it can't be that? If that makes sense. This whole setting is kind how I feel about bout the world the same way I feel about boom knuckles and shadow. Its kinda being held back trying to be the same thing that it was. It isn't the best comparison because as blank as this world is it still more enjoyable on a base level than either of those two characters but I think the point remains the same.

One thing thing sonic forces and this comic does that is actually really interesting is recanonizes silver's future to animal planet. Previously in other incarnations it was very clearly the human world. Silver being from this world actually allows him to ineract with in unique and intimate ways that while not present in forces is very present in the book.

Maybe instead of trying to have your cake and eat it to with the setting and its characters. Just full on reboot it, recanonize events to sonic land. You can do a lot of interesting things with that. But as of currently the setting is trying to have its cake and eat it too. In more ways than one.

1 minute ago, Slashy said:

Why not just set the comic in the human world which is better defined then?

Because they want to define animal planet, but not too much because they want to just make up places in games and not really have to draw a map.

2 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I have. It's just not that and it can't be that? If that makes sense. This whole setting is kind how I feel about bout the world the same way I feel about boom knuckles and shadow. Its kinda being held back trying to be the same thing that it was. It isn't the best comparison because as blank as this world is it still more enjoyable on a base level than either of those two characters but I think the point remains the same.

One thing thing sonic forces and this comic does that is actually really interesting is recanonizes silver's future to animal planet. Previously in other incarnations it was very clearly the human world. Silver being from this world actually allows him to ineract with in unique and intimate ways that while not present in forces is very present in the book.

Maybe instead of trying to have your cake and eat it to with the setting and its characters. Just full on reboot it, recanonize events to sonic land. You can do a lot of interesting things with that. But as of currently the setting is trying to have its cake and eat it too. In more ways than one.

I mean I had no interest in a continuity wipe and mostly just want them to stick by the shit they established already but if they're gonna  do this half and half thing might as well leverage it. 

3 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Because they want to define animal planet, but not too much because they want to just make up places in games and not really have to draw a map.

They are doing a bad job at it. If it is mandates stopping them then just cut your losses and set it in the human world.