Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

29 minutes ago, Slashy said:

Why not just set the comic in the human world which is better defined then?

That'a good question. From what I recall, they're not forbidden from using those things, so I'd assume it's a combination of following off of Forces and just maintaining what you've already had to work with for the last two year or so. 

3 hours ago, Slashy said:

They are doing a bad job at it. If it is mandates stopping them then just cut your losses and set it in the human world.

This type of thinking isn't very productive 3 years in.

10 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

This type of thinking isn't very productive 3 years in.

It shouldn't have been a problem in the first place.

Nah, hindsight only works one way. He chose to follow up on the aftermath of Forces and this is the result....you can't exactly know whether or not something will work until you have proof of it not working.

It doesn't work, well that happened. All that's left is to salvage it.

2 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Nah, hindsight only works one way. He chose to follow up on the aftermath of Forces and this is the result....you can't exactly know whether or not something will work until you have proof of it not working.

It doesn't work, well that happened. All that's left is to salvage it.

Well we'll see if Evan's run fixes . Also how is following up on Forces the problem?

Because Forces is set in animal kingdom and you were just complaining about the comics not taking place in the human world...which has more established to work with.

4 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Because Forces is set in animal kingdom and you were just complaining about the comics not taking place in the human world...which has more established to work with.

But after the Neo-Metal story there were plenty of ways to set up a plot in the human world.

Also why can't Sonic's world be built? We see new locations and locations with names even locations that should be from the human world like Central City.

3 hours ago, Slashy said:

Also why can't Sonic's world be built? We see new locations and locations with names even locations that should be from the human world like Central City.

Because as I said, the animal world doesn't actually have much when you really parse it out. 

Also, apparently there's just canonical more than one Central City.

7 hours ago, Wraith said:

I mean I had no interest in a continuity wipe and mostly just want them to stick by the shit they established already but if they're gonna  do this half and half thing might as well leverage it. 

I suppose it just really doesn't feel like they have actually been leveraging it, if anything avoiding it in its entirety. But maybe that changes.

7 hours ago, Slashy said:

They are doing a bad job at it.

Yes.

Sega is continuing their trend of " Not committing enough to an idea to make it interesting, but not not committing to it enough to make to make other folks happy" . They will ride this out until it becomes untenable and they have to choose a side, or no one likes it and it needs be abandoned.

25 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Because as I said, the animal world doesn't actually have much when you really parse it out. 

Also, apparently there's just canonical more than one Central City.

That was Flynn misremembering that Battle is a human world game. GUN and the president appeared in it.

I legit believe SEGA forgot about it because the same location (with Tails' house) appears in Chronicles loaded with humans.

24 minutes ago, Slashy said:

That was Flynn misremembering that Battle is a human world game. GUN and the president appeared in it.

I legit believe SEGA forgot about it because the same location (with Tails' house) appears in Chronicles loaded with humans.

I thought that was the case. His general point however is how there is a Wellington in Ohio as well as in Florida, for example.

Chronicles was primarily done by Bioware with little involvement from SEGA--it's why the Nocturus and Twilight Cage are so similar in concept to the Dark Legion that the comic just made them one and the same to make it official.

I prefer IDW taking place on Mobius over Earth. That means we get to see a lot of Mobians.

I mean, I suppose in games we have a lot of Mobians just sorta being on Earth (and that included flying Chihuahua spirit inside it's core), but it's still more natural in feel. No Mobius means probably no Lanolin the Sheep.

Sidenote existed of Chip is best example why "Two Worlds" is a joke...even though there are zero Mobian civilians in Unleased. Sonic consistency dear fans.

2 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I prefer IDW taking place on Mobius over Earth. That means we get to see a lot of Mobians.

I mean, I suppose in games we have a lot of Mobians just sorta being on Earth (and that included flying Chihuahua spirit inside it's core), but it's still more natural in feel. No Mobius means probably no Lanolin the Sheep.

Sidenote existed of Chip is best example why "Two Worlds" is a joke...even though there are zero Mobian civilians in Unleased. Sonic consistency dear fans.

The whole 'two world' thing really doesn't make sense if you look at the games themselves! Look at Sonic Adventure 1 AND 2. Why is there echidna ruins in the 'human' world. How was Shadow made to pook like a mobian? Chip being a thing, like you said. Seriously, it quite obviously was always supposed to one world.

Also, side tangent. Why do they just call it Sonic's world? They have a name available to use. Use it! Sonic's world just sounds boring.

19 minutes ago, A Random Villager said:

They have a name available to use.

They don't though.

They never named it, they may name it later.

They may name it after the famous chicken strip.

2 hours ago, A Random Villager said:

The whole 'two world' thing really doesn't make sense if you look at the games themselves! Look at Sonic Adventure 1 AND 2. Why is there echidna ruins in the 'human' world. How was Shadow made to pook like a mobian? Chip being a thing, like you said. Seriously, it quite obviously was always supposed to one world.

Some echidnas came to the human world at some point and set up a civilization there.

Gerald knew about people from the animal world (he studied the ancient echidnas, remember).

What, are you gonna tell a god what form he's supposed to take? Does Dark Gaia have to come from a world with giant, flaming, multi-eyed reptilians?

The two worlds thing is definitely sloppy and doesn't really add anything but it's not exactly impossible to work around.

3 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Some echidnas came to the human world at some point and set up a civilization there.

How exactly? They can’t use technology because Penders think he owns that monopoly.

Sonic characters have accessed other dimensions and timelines strictly through magical means before. It's not at all implausible to suggest that the Echidnas had a way of doing that.

8 minutes ago, antyep said:

How exactly? They can’t use technology because Svenders think he owns that monopoly.

Who knows? We don't even know how anyone jumps between worlds now. Maybe they fell into a giant ring and it spat them out in the human world. Maybe the Master Emerald was there and it did a big chaos energy fart and Chaos Controlled a whole city. The lack of a clear explanation is unsatisfying, I can get that, but this series has never been all that tightly written or well-planned; you can just as easily point out that we still have no idea why Knuckles is the last of his kind despite all the backstory we got about the echidnas in SA, but we don't consider it a devastating flaw of the series' storytelling.

5 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

To be fair, he's a diety--he can look like whatever form he's comfortable with.

3 hours ago, A Random Villager said:

Because they were once one in the same and the Knuckles Tribe were conquerors who likely didn't own the Mystic Ruins.

And Shadow pooks like a Hedgehog because there's a mural of Super Sonic in those ruins.

3 hours ago, A Random Villager said:

Also, side tangent. Why do they just call it Sonic's world? They have a name available to use. Use it! Sonic's world just sounds boring.

Because they didn't come up with it themselves and have had no reason to address it.

Before I say this, I fully understand this is in a way ultimately futile because despite there being evidence to suggest the two worlds theory was around longer than we thought. We just collectively ignored because at the time it seemed stupid and pointless, and sega much like most times didn't get the hint or valued what they saw in the premise more than our disdain of it. Somewhere deep down it just kinda feels like bullshit and marketing, like that was an idea one guy threw around as a justification for why some sonic games look mad different over a decade ago and its being used as a justification for this decision that seems on its face seems primarily focused on brand recognition. Because the name of the game is these days is characters and lore , the human world and its characters are no where near as popular as the animal ones and now they can just create whatever potentially popular premise they want confined to a world they can define however they want. This isn't even mentioning that a lot of the human stuff is associated with big awful things that turn some off the franchise. Succinctly , it feels capitalistic more than artistic. And Understand those choosing to ignore it.

All that said, I think we may need to get used to something Ian Flynn touched on in his last bumble cast. To paraphrase

Things maybe canon from games and not the games themselves and vice versa

What i'm getting at with this is , echidnas may have never actually set foot on earth. The moment Ian while not directly but suggested that sega wanted Angel island to be stationary on animal planet that's when I started suspecting this. There are some other directives Ian has been given by sega that makes me suspect that unless a game explicitly needs to take place " earth" its characters or the or its entire narrative might be retconned somewhat to take place on animal planet. And I think unless i'm missing something , nothing directly connected to echdinas actually ever needs to take place on earth....ever...so....

6 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

And I think unless i'm missing something , nothing directly connected to echdinas actually ever needs to take place on earth....ever...so....

What about SA1?

That story has to take place on Earth, and the events of that game, to say nothing of the multitude of ancient ruins and the presence of the Master Emerald and Tikal dictate that the Echidna's had to be on Earth. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

What about SA1?

That story has to take place on Earth, and the events of that game, to say nothing of the multitude of ancient ruins and the presence of the Master Emerald and Tikal dictate that the Echidna's had to be on Earth. 

Sa1 doesn't have to take place on earth. Nothing there really requires it to. There is no lore that dictated all those ruins and such cannot exist on animal planet or at least cant be easily retconned

19 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Sa1 doesn't have to take place on earth. Nothing there really requires it to. There is no lore that dictated all those ruins and such cannot exist on animal planet or at least cant be easily retconned

There aren't supposed to be any humans on animal planet besides Eggman IIRC. Most likely explanation is that Angel Island can easily jump between worlds somehow.

3 minutes ago, Wraith said:

There aren't supposed to be any humans on animal planet besides Eggman IIRC.

The humans are not required for Sa1's story to function

Most likely explanation is that Angel Island can easily jump between worlds somehow.

Sega says no.

11 minutes ago, Wraith said:

There aren't supposed to be any humans on animal planet besides Eggman IIRC. Most likely explanation is that Angel Island can easily jump between worlds somehow.

Station Square is a human settlement in Sonic's World.