Jump to content
Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

Recommended Posts

My biggest concern with the mandates are that our chances of seeing Eggman Nega are very slim, since Sonic Team can't figure out what to do with him outside of spinoffs like the Olympics.

But other than that, we're not missing anything of value. (Sonic crying, any game character dying, having relatives or getting into a relationship, etc.) Sonic not being allowed to flat-out lose would be a concern, but Ian has developed several workarounds to that, such as Sonic always making a comeback or Eggman getting a small victory that turns out to be ultimately meaningless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mister X said:

In all seriousness... I don't really care, I never thought they were that unreasonable to begin with. And Ian even says in the podcast that the dreaded mandates weren't as bad as fans like to claim.

The only thing I care about is whether or not they've lightened up on allowing Sonic to lose. I don't want something as cool as what happened in 175 to take place only for it to be immediately reversed and made better than it was before two issues later. 

Other than that, they haven't seemed to be the cause of a lot of my problems with the comics. I remember Ian saying that he was worried about having Sonic and Tails fight each other in that awful House of Cards story but when he proposed the idea to SEGA they were like "Yeah. Sure. Go ahead. Sounds cool." Gave him the okay without a problem.

Issue 175 was a LONG time ago at this point and taking Forces into consideration, maybe they actually have lightened up on it? Who knows. Other than that, I've got nothing.

Edit: @Forterror-Metallix Oh yeah. And Eggman Nega. Him too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dr. Detective Mike said:

The only thing I care about is whether or not they've lightened up on allowing Sonic to lose. I don't want something as cool as what happened in 175 to take place only for it to be immediately reversed and made better than it was before two issues later. 

Other than that, they haven't seemed to be the cause of a lot of my problems with the comics. I remember Ian saying that he was worried about having Sonic and Tails fight each other in that awful House of Cards story but when he proposed the idea to SEGA they were like "Yeah. Sure. Go ahead. Sounds cool." Gave him the okay without a problem.

Issue 175 was a LONG time ago at this point and taking Forces into consideration, maybe they actually have lightened up on it? Who knows. Other than that, I've got nothing.

I do wonder if they'll let Cream fight. I know she did some beatings late into the SWC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

I wonder when they decided that Cream shouldn't be allowed to fight. It's a long time ago at this point, but Sonic Battle and Sonic X will always stand out to me as clear examples that Cream and Cheese can hold their own.

Yeah, that's what made the decision strange; especially when she was shown fighting later in the reboot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Almar said:

I don't see the point of Eggman Nega for comic Sonic when he's been established as the darker and edgier Eggman. And that's already comic Sonic's Eggman.

Ah, you mean Archie Comics Eggman.. but this is IDW Eggman.

And Nega is still an omnicidal maniac, in contrast to Eggman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Razule said:

Ah, you mean Archie Comics Eggman.. but this is IDW Eggman.

And Nega is still an omnicidal maniac, in contrast to Eggman.

That makes me wonder how Ian will write Eggman. I imagine possibly the same as before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GentlemanX said:

I wonder when they decided that Cream shouldn't be allowed to fight. It's a long time ago at this point, but Sonic Battle and Sonic X will always stand out to me as clear examples that Cream and Cheese can hold their own.

Eh.

Honestly, it doesn't matter to me. I've gone on and on about how Cream always had issues being a character that they never really gave much justification for appearing in place of other characters that did. I don't have a problem with her being around and doing stuff but it always felt like everyone in the cast, aside from her, had personal motivations or occupations, or something to rely on aside from just their personality traits.

Sonic and Tails kind of share the same motivation but their personalities enhance what they try to do and what they get out of the adventures they're on. Knuckles is the Guardian of the Master Emerald. Shadow's a G.U.N agent. Rouge is a spy/thief/hired hand/treasure hunter/club owner/something else I'm sure. The Chaotix are all detectives. Omega wants to be the very best of Eggman's robots like no one ever was.. also wants to destroy him.

Whenever Cream would show up and someone else didn't I would always lament the fact that I wasn't following someone who I found more interesting. Cream needs SEGA and Sonic Team to give her something other than "I'm polite and people call me Amy's sidekick sometimes". Once she gets that, I may finally care. Maybe actually work on that whole connection with Chao she seems to have and turn it into something neat. Who knows? As it stands, I'm not too broken up about her not getting to do stuff. 

 "Oh, she's fighting for her friends" was never good enough. So are, pretty much, everyone else. 

1 hour ago, Almar said:

I don't see the point of Eggman Nega for comic Sonic when he's been established as the darker and edgier Eggman. And that's already comic Sonic's Eggman.

Eggman Nega is insane. Dude's mentally unhinged like crazy. 

The guy tried to turn the planet into a playing card in Rivals. Blaze even said in that mini manga that they did a while back that he doesn't care about ruling the world, he just wants to destroy it.

I don't know what that guy's problem is but I'd like to see someone take a crack at exploring it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Razule said:

Ah, you mean Archie Comics Eggman.. but this is IDW Eggman.

I doubt Ian will write Eggman different here than in Archie Sonic. That Eggman would cause the universal apocalypse if it meant Sonic would lose.

 

28 minutes ago, Razule said:

And Nega is still an omnicidal maniac, in contrast to Eggman.

Darker and edgier Eggman. And Archie Eggman would trigger a universal apocalypse if it meant Sonic would lose.

 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Eggman Nega is insane. Dude's mentally unhinged like crazy. 

The guy tried to turn the planet into a playing card in Rivals. Blaze even said in that mini manga that they did a while back that he doesn't care about ruling the world, he just wants to destroy it.

I don't know what that guy's problem is but I'd like to see someone take a crack at exploring it.

Archie Eggman (and so also IDW Eggman) has already been shown as being out of touch with reality,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

The guy tried to turn the planet into a playing card in Rivals. Blaze even said in that mini manga that they did a while back that he doesn't care about ruling the world, he just wants to destroy it

Wait, they did a minI manga?

 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Whenever Cream would show up and someone else didn't I would always lament the fact that I wasn't following someone who I found more interesting. Cream needs SEGA and Sonic Team to give her something other than "I'm polite and people call me Amy's sidekick sometimes". Once she gets that, I may finally care. Maybe actually work on that whole connection with Chao she seems to have and turn it into something neat. Who knows? As it stands, I'm not too broken up about her not getting to do stuff. 

You have a point there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Almar said:

Archie Eggman (and so also IDW Eggman) has already been shown as being out of touch with reality,

;I haven't seen anything from IDW Eggman yet. I actually do hope he's reigned in a tad so that he could feel a bit more like how I perceive Eggman's character to be. I love Archie's version of Eggman. The ruthlessness is great and all but there's always been a bit of a sting that comes with making him too willingly unhinged. 

Now, Eggman snapping in a fit of rage and doing something drastic that would be cataclysmic? That's generally something I'm okay with. The point of something like that is that it's him at one of his low points, losing control of his emotions. To be constantly like that, though, is a different matter entirely. That's usually what Eggman Nega is. It'd be interesting just to see how Ian makes them different.

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

Wait, they did a minI manga?

The manga pages they released for the 25th anniversary for all the characters a while back? Remember those?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

;I haven't seen anything from IDW Eggman yet. I actually do hope he's reigned in a tad so that he could feel a bit more like how I perceive Eggman's character to be. I love Archie's version of Eggman. The ruthlessness is great and all but there's always been a bit of a sting that comes with making him too willingly unhinged. 

Now, Eggman snapping in a fit of rage and doing something drastic that would be cataclysmic? That's generally something I'm okay with. The point of something like that is that it's him at one of his low points, losing control of his emotions. To be constantly like that though, is a different matter entirely. That's usually what Eggman Nega is. It'd be interesting just to see how Ian makes them different.

The manga pages they released for the 25th anniversary for all the characters a while back? Remember those?

No, I never even knew that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

>more dangerous than Eggman

Reminder that more or less every non-Eggman lead villain is the more dangerous edgy monster that he isn't (Chaos, Metal Sonic Neo, Black Doom, Mephiles, Erazor Djinn, Eggman Nega...).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.