Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

I honestly liked 31 more than the previous one. Maybe it has something to do with me missing that 30 existed somehow, maybe it's that this actually had stuff happening throughout, maybe it's the frequents delays making any time we're not going anywhere feel a tad frustrating.

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I don't think a single main character wasn't at least seen or mentioned in this issue aside from Big the Cat.

He appears at the party, attempting to fish in the fountain.

1 hour ago, Sonictrainer said:

He appears at the party, attempting to fish in the fountain.

Ah. Well, there you go. The cameo master strikes again. Everyone is here.

Issue #31: 9/10 from me

Small things I liked:

I like how eggman was pretty chill with orbot and cubot instead of barking at them like he mostly does.

Shadow spends a lot of time in his head.

I really hope sonic and his memory loss goes somewhere interesting.

I like this issue, but if there's anything I have to complain about...

Spoiler

There's too little Blaze! Only two pages of the fiery feline considering we haven't seen her since last year's annual!  Blaze has definitely gotten the shaft with IDW. 😕

Thank you Shadow for realizing what a colossal dumbass you were during the Zombot arc , that's one step in the right direction at least 

Something I noticed about Adam's art this issue is the way the characters are drawn feel more 3D-ish at times and it looks really good.

Spoiler

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

edit: spoiler tagged examples just in case

Could also just be the shading from Herms's colors giving off that illusion but I'm rather liking the more interesting poses and angles and expressions that are in this issue and the mood of the colors.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Way Past Cool 1

1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

Is Blaze wearing a cape variant of her jacket?

Yeah. I noticed that too right away and was pretty surprised. Though I was reminded she has a cape/cloak sort of thing in her beta art and I think in Sonic Channel art as well.

• Thumbs Up 2

An issue that's all set-ups for the future, sure, but I'm just always happy to see a bunch of quaint little character moments.

Man, Tangle and Whisper could not possibly get any gayer lol

22 minutes ago, Natie said:

Man, Tangle and Whisper could not possibly get any gayer lol

I wonder how much it is intentional and how much it is just the fans reading a bit too deep into it. But yeah, if you ship them, the comic is certainly giving you alot of moments to post about.

3 hours ago, lulzers said:

While members of the main cast not being allowed to die is a major mandate, are there any loopholes around it? Like can guys like Sonic, Tails or Knuckles get killed but revived later on?

In addition, can characters originating from the comics be killed off permanently? (Such as main characters, supporting characters, background characters and so on)

Asking about what mandates do and don't exist and what you can and can't do with them is kinda pointless. They aren't things set in stone, they are things Ian has run up against in the here and now, and any aspect or scenario they involve can change day to day and story to story. 

For example, there is a supposed mandate that the main cast cannot have any explicit mention of parents. That exists right now because SEGA obviously don't want to commit to any plans involving that right now. But tomorrow may be different, say a mainline game changes it or the context may change or someone says "oh actually that seems interesting to explore now give us a fully detailed plan" and that mandate will no longer apply. 

They aren't some stone tablet if commandments (unlike what some people on twitter seem to weirdly insist they must be), it's just some note in an email that says to change X because Y. 

• Thumbs Up 3

SOLCITS TIME!

Spoiler

spacer.pngspacer.png

Bad Guys #4: 

Dr. Eggman vs. the Bad Guys! Astonishingly, Dr. Starline's managed to hold together his motley crew of criminals long enough to almost achieve his goal and see his plan to fruition. Unfortunately, when Dr. Eggman gets wind of their activities, he sets his sights on them.

Will the Bad Guys stay together to scramble Eggman or will they crack? Find out in "No Honor Among Thieves," the thrilling conclusion to Sonic the Hedgehog: Bad Guys!

Release Date: December 23, 2020

spacer.pngspacer.png

IDW Sonic #36: 

Strap on your snowshoes, an avalanche is headed straight for White Park Chateau! Sonic and gang are going to have to act quickly if they want to save the White Park guests and stop the hooded figure from getting away with Tails!

Join Evan Stanley for the action-packed conclusion of "Chao Races and Badnik Bases"!

Release date:  December 23, 2020

=

That Sonic Battle cover is freaking cool tbh, also you could see the hooded figure in that too.

• Thumbs Up 4

9 hours ago, Silvereyes said:

I wonder how much it is intentional and how much it is just the fans reading a bit too deep into it. But yeah, if you ship them, the comic is certainly giving you alot of moments to post about.

I doubt it's intentional but man I hope Evan or some other writer eventually plays off it because them girls are in love going off the artist interpretations.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Silvereyes said:

5 hours ago, SBR2 said:

I doubt it's intentional but man I hope Evan or some other writer eventually plays off it because them girls are in love going off the artist interpretations.

I hope they keep it ambiguous enough so both the "they're besties!" crowd and the "they're GFs!" crowd can be happy. 

For the solicit:

Spoiler

I just read the other descriptions. I knew about "Clutch", but I guess we're getting more new characters? That is nice to hear. Hopefully they are interesting.

1 hour ago, Sonictrainer said:
  Hide contents

...could the Hooded Figure be Infinite?

Hopefully not the guy who brought the metal virus into Restoration HQ...

14 minutes ago, HywelAtTheMoon said:

Hopefully not the guy who brought the metal virus into Restoration HQ...

Uhhh, why would he be kidnapping Tails?

2 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:
  Reveal hidden contents

...could the Hooded Figure be Infinite?

I mean, according to Ian, that character's off-limits for some reason.

By the time that issue comes out I think we’ll have had a few Bad Guys issues, the cloaked figure could be Mimic or someone else as part of a Bad Guys plot. Maybe.

8 hours ago, caitash said:

By the time that issue comes out I think we’ll have had a few Bad Guys issues, the cloaked figure could be Mimic or someone else as part of a Bad Guys plot. Maybe.

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

I doubt that cloaky is anyone we've ever seen before. I'm betting who ever they are they're the big bad of Evan's storyline.

I think it's Eggman's new minion, who I hope won't end up going rogue like all the other guys.

Because I really wanna see Eggman having a loyal & powerful minion that's not a robot. Also wanna see Starline have a beef with his "replacement".

• Nice Smile 1