Jump to content
Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:
  Hide contents

Fucking knew SEGA wouldn't let Ian be ballsy enough to change the status quo. A potentially interesting set-piece came and then ended in the span of 2 issues. It's like it shouldn't have happened at all.

 

This is kind of why I'm not as vexed, cuz I knew things would ultimately default back to the status quo at the end of the day. The wonders of a licensed product. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Zaysho said:
  Hide contents

I'm not sure if it's a bigger waste that Sonic got back to status quo so quickly or that we probably won't be seeing Blaze's world again for a long time.

 

Spoiler

 

The fact that we got a peek at Blaze's castle is at the very least a nickel and dime in the right direction. Between that and Blaze commenting more about the political affairs of her world is TSR, we've got the snowball started. 

 One day we'll get to explore all that potential. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Razule said:
  Hide contents

I really don't understand why they even bothered with the amnesia plot if he was going to get his memories back after so little time was spent on it. 

 

Spoiler

It just a bookends; this arc got started when Eggman lost his memories and regained them with a trigger, so now the same happens to Sonic. They definitely never really explored it in any real capacity, but it is what it is.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kuzu said:
  Hide contents

It just a bookends; this arc got started when Eggman lost his memories and regained them with a trigger, so now the same happens to Sonic. They definitely never really explored it in any real capacity, but it is what it is.

 

Spoiler

I feel like the intent of it being a bookend to Eggman's subplot doesn't come through very well. I get what you mean, and I suppose it being badly handled doesn't make it less of a bookend, but it feels unnecessary to even bother with that. Not just because there's no consequence or ongoing plot where Sonic has amnesia for a few issues, but what would that even serve if it did?

Eggman's amnesia made him a new person--a better person--and it made the characters mull over about Eggman's capacity to not be a raging douchebag and give him a chance at redemption from their perspective only for it all to be forcibly reset by a fanboy and Eggman's son. Sonic's amnesia doesn't really change much of his core personality from what little of it we can see; he's just as smarmy and cocky as he usually is, if overbearingly formal, and snaps out of it when he sees his girlfriend transform. Sonic isn't challenged at all in the same he was during the Metal Virus and there's nothing to really explore with him from this new angle. I mean, it's not really a bad thing either, you couldn't go wrong either way because he's still Sonic. The only people the difference would matter to is the rest of the cast so that's really the only loss in not exploring it.

It isn't a terrible idea, but it feels like some leftover piece of a first draft script before approvals hacked it apart.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#32.... you know what? I would prefer if Sonic never had amnesia AND Eggman never attacked. Just 2 issue of people taking a breather after a long arc Maybe whole issue about a party and people chilling. Of course next is chao race, so maybe soon we'll be to "chilled".

As it is, this issue doesn't have enough cute mellow moments as last two or strong main narrative. It's gorgeous looking, but least substantial issue in a long time.

 
 
 
 
Spoiler

Sonic is back. Honestly "Sonic is wandering with amnesia, while his friends have to deal without him" could be a pretty interesting longer arc. Cramped into 2 issues is, as everyone said, kinda pointless.

It's another of those issues where an army of heroes fight a big treat, meaning that most of them are barely here. Blaze didn't get much shine, Big didn't land a funny joke, not sure what was the (story-wise) point of Omega being part of the armor. And poor Espio. So, any special moments?

- Vector takes charge. Sure, makes sense. I kinda wish Amy NOT giving orders were handled differently.
Not "buuu, leave me alone, I don't lead anymore",
rather "I don't want to take charge but if I must..." "No need, I'll do it" "Gosh, thanks Vector"
Or even just Vector taking charge and Amy commenting she's glad she doesn't have to do it. You know, so she doesn't look like a jerk who refuses to take responsibility when madman in a giant mech is right in front of them. But that's a nitpick.
 

- Rouge beats Rouges to the punch. Again, I would handle it differently. She's way too eager to give the loot back, where is her wonderful grey morality? Make her hesitate what to do with gems. Maybe she was going to take them, but saving Omega takes priority. Or Jewel walked on her and assumed Rouge saved gems from Jet, not realizing the truth. Or Amy gently but firmly telling "come on Rouge, I know you have them". Even Rouge just questioning herself and deciding "Sonic is back, I can't ruin everyone's good mood".
Any of those options would be more page-worthy than Rouge helping to hack into a robot.

- Group hug is kinda cute.

- I know that all heavy hitters were missing or quickly out (Sonic, Shadow, Silver, Blaze, Knuckles, Big (?), Omega, Gemerl ) but I still find it a little weird that 9 heroes couldn't beat the single mech that Eggman build in hurry.
What I'm saying is, I stand by my statement from the last issue that everyone is a little drunk.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

A little surprised no one's commented on the ending yet.

Still waiting to read it tbh, I buy the issues through IDW’s own app but it’s not on there yet. I COULD go buy it digitally elsewhere but then I’d have the annoyance of a single issue being on a different platform when I re-read them later.
 

They really dropped the ball on this release. I’m wondering if they legit delayed it until next week but since the physical copies were already out there they changed it back to this week but then rushed to release it digitally, it’s very messy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really liked all the little character moments in the past two issues. A shame that the amnesia subplot ended up being so pointless. Allowing Sonic to spend some time exploring Blaze's world would have been a refereshing change of pace.

Not that next issue won't be. Man, it's gonna be so weird seeing a new main writer on the book. IIRC, won't this be the the first time since Ian's Sonic career began back in 2006 that he's not the main writer on the mainline Sonic comic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not likely but I almost hope that the reason Sega allowed Blaze's palace might be a hint at something involving her world in the games. 

It'd be a neat bit of synergy to have something from a future game have an early bird cameo in the comics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Side note, but you know what I dislike about comic as the medium?

The fact that I'm never "in the moment" always looking forward.

When I watch the movie I watch current the movie. When I play the game, I don't think about it's non existing sequel. Even in cartoon it's usually save to say my mind is in current episode.

When reading comic I always  know there is next issue, not in 1-2 years, but very next month . Snarky joke about IDW schedule aside. I always know about upcoming miniseries or about staring arc. Sonic Universe was best example. Part 4 of any arc was almost a chore, because I was already being teased about next arc that is aaaaalmost here.
And because comics are shorter that most of other media, every story has small content, big chunk of which isn't for sake of THIS story, but build up for something in the future, months or years from now on.

I suppose it's kinda nice, knowing there is more just around the corner, but I'm more of bench-watching, 100% completionist kind of person. If I like 2 things I prefer to exhaust first one before going to second, not constant switching... if that makes any sense to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bad Guys 1 preview thoughts:

Spoiler

Ngl, I really hope this miniseries highlights Starline's cunning better. It's always implied he's meant to be above it all, and that's why he's better than Eggman, but the mistakes he tends to make are downright idiotic (Hiring the Zeti, despite A. their traitorous nature, and B. their grudge against Eggman, and now assuming Eggman would be dumb enough not to revoke his access.

I get they wanna show that Starline needs to make an active effort not to be as short-sighted or as arrogant as Eggman, but there has to be a better way than Starline just assuming that someone with an IQ of 300 would be dumb enough not to immediately revoke his access in case of betrayal. Eggman's problem is short-sightedness and arrogance, not out and out stupidity. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2020 at 11:09 PM, PublicEnemy1 said:
  Hide contents

Fucking knew SEGA wouldn't let Ian be ballsy enough to change the status quo. A potentially interesting set-piece came and then ended in the span of 2 issues. It's like it shouldn't have happened at all.

 

Spoiler

Is it really down to "SEGA wouldn't let" or "Evan's getting to tell her stories now, don't want to force her to have to deal with an amnesia plot I introduced two issues before she took over"? It's easy to just think of it from the perspective of wasted plot but you gotta remember Ian's leaving the main book for at least a year, now. Evan deserves to have her as-close-to-clean-slate to work from without endless baggage from Ian, and "Sonic's amnesiac" would definitely count as unnecessary and unwanted baggage to throw at someone else getting to head the comic for the first time in 14 or so years.

 

EDIT: point being, ending the amnesia right now is the right thing to do; if you want to complain, I'd complain about it being started this late despite having to end by 32, or it getting started at all.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The KKM said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Is it really down to "SEGA wouldn't let" or "Evan's getting to tell her stories now, don't want to force her to have to deal with an amnesia plot I introduced two issues before she took over"? It's easy to just think of it from the perspective of wasted plot but you gotta remember Ian's leaving the main book for at least a year, now. Evan deserves to have her as-close-to-clean-slate to work from without endless baggage from Ian, and "Sonic's amnesiac" would definitely count as unnecessary and unwanted baggage to throw at someone else getting to head the comic for the first time in 14 or so years.

 

EDIT: point being, ending the amnesia right now is the right thing to do; if you want to complain, I'd complain about it being started this late despite having to end by 32, or it getting started at all.

 

Spoiler

That's a fair point but Ian isn't technically leaving the book. He's just not the head writer anymore. He's said on Twitter and on his portfolio on Bumbleking that he will still be contributing stories but that the over all plot of Season 3 is Evan's.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He left her a clean start. The memory plot was a tad to big i think. She has already stated her stories are not going to be as serious as Ians. So the whole sonic with memory lose with eggman attacks is probably a tad to much action lined with where she will take the series for awhile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SBR2 said:
  Hide contents

That's a fair point but Ian isn't technically leaving the book. He's just not the head writer anymore. He's said on Twitter and on his portfolio on Bumbleking that he will still be contributing stories but that the over all plot of Season 3 is Evan's.

 

Like I said, "for a year" :P He's not writing the book for a year, unless they suddenly decide Seasons are no longer a year lol. He might not write the main book for longer than that, or just 12 issues certain, we don't know, but that year should be guaranteed from how they've explained it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2020 at 6:21 AM, MetalSkulkBane said:

Side note, but you know what I dislike about comic as the medium?

The fact that I'm never "in the moment" always looking forward.

When I watch the movie I watch current the movie. When I play the game, I don't think about it's non existing sequel. Even in cartoon it's usually save to say my mind is in current episode.

When reading comic I always  know there is next issue, not in 1-2 years, but very next month . Snarky joke about IDW schedule aside. I always know about upcoming miniseries or about staring arc. Sonic Universe was best example. Part 4 of any arc was almost a chore, because I was already being teased about next arc that is aaaaalmost here.
And because comics are shorter that most of other media, every story has small content, big chunk of which isn't for sake of THIS story, but build up for something in the future, months or years from now on.

I suppose it's kinda nice, knowing there is more just around the corner, but I'm more of bench-watching, 100% completionist kind of person. If I like 2 things I prefer to exhaust first one before going to second, not constant switching... if that makes any sense to you.

I think the problem is that the comic never does a fully self-contained story. There is always a plot point a story starts off from and there is always a plot point left hanging for the next arc to deal with.

Because there is no end goal, no overarching plot, no major changes to the status quo you are never left satisfied by anything. The comic basically takes what should be self-contained stories and makes them not self-contained, I guess because rather than trusting the audience to continue buying comics because of amazing storytelling, the comic relies on carrots on sticks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.