Jump to content
Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

Just finished #33, I am much more happier with this issue. Finally just getting a fairly relaxing low-stakes adventure after all of the constant action and high-stakes stuff Ian has put us through was great.

I love how Evan writes everybody, but especially Sonic, Tails, and Rouge, and seeing Sonic and Tails going on adventures and teasing each other is great. She knocked it out of the park, and I can't wait to see what she's got up her sleeve next.

Yeah, good stuff, even if it was just 3 pages. I wonder if like we'll have the focus alternate between issues, because Sonic and Tails doing wholesome brother shit is my jam.

Of course, Rouge is pretty great too. I like Rouge. Glad that she can have a bit more focus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, A wild west steam engine said:

How did he learn speed, power and flight abilities?


Probably will find out during Bad Guys 2-4, assuming it IS Starline and not just someone who shops at the same shoe store.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spoiler

I think Starline would be a terribly dissapointing reveal. It's really not a shock when it's revealed it's a main villain who's currently appearing in his own series at the same time.

ANYway, I've apparently missed something here and I hate that - is Stanley the new writer for the main Sonic book or is she just doing a fill-in arc? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, dwitefry666 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I think Starline would be a terribly dissapointing reveal. It's really not a shock when it's revealed it's a main villain who's currently appearing in his own series at the same time.

ANYway, I've apparently missed something here and I hate that - is Stanley the new writer for the main Sonic book or is she just doing a fill-in arc? 

She's the new writer for the main book.  I think that Ian Flynn is writing the Bad Guys series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dwitefry666 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I think Starline would be a terribly dissapointing reveal. It's really not a shock when it's revealed it's a main villain who's currently appearing in his own series at the same time.

ANYway, I've apparently missed something here and I hate that - is Stanley the new writer for the main Sonic book or is she just doing a fill-in arc? 

She's the new head writer but Ian will still be contributing. He's doing the Bad Guys miniseries and said during NYCC he'll be doing the arc after Evan's second one which will be about where the rest of the Deadly Six went.

He's said though that "Season 3's" overall story is Evan's but they've talked to make surethe stories match up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Your Vest Friend said:

Haven't watched much of it so far, but I've got to the point of finding out Tangle doesn't have family.

Aside from Cream & Vanilla, I'm wondering who officially has a family?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering Sega approves (and sometimes doesn't) the comic, which is heavily inspired by the games. Any complaints about IDW Shadow apply to Game Shadow too and in whatever way Sega sees him. 

So yeah, I believe Shadow as well as everyone else is directly based off current Sonic games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2020 at 12:46 PM, NeoZDuwang said:

About the mysterious figure...

  Hide contents

I think it's Starline, based on the shoes

1190696435_mysteriousshoe.jpg.4f137eea24fb3591445e294392b12fa6.jpg

 

That's what I heard.

16 hours ago, dwitefry666 said:
  Hide contents

I think Starline would be a terribly dissapointing reveal. It's really not a shock when it's revealed it's a main villain who's currently appearing in his own series at the same time.

ANYway, I've apparently missed something here and I hate that - is Stanley the new writer for the main Sonic book or is she just doing a fill-in arc? 

That sorta crossed my mind as well.

13 hours ago, Your Vest Friend said:

Haven't watched much of it so far, but I've got to the point of finding out Tangle doesn't have family.

42dddp.jpg

 

7 hours ago, Shadow Chaos Control said:

Has Shadow made an appearance in IDW? Is his story similiar to SA2, Sonic X, and the Archie Comics? 

I ask in earnest because I am curious what the new comic canon on him is. 

He's actually in the most recent issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Shadow Chaos Control said:

Has Shadow made an appearance in IDW? Is his story similar to SA2, Sonic X, and the Archie Comics? 

I ask in earnest because I am curious what the new comic canon on him is. 

All main main Sonic characters appeared.

He's basically based on games... although his personality has strange mandates to it, he's a bit meaner than you would expect him to be.

Plays major roles in issue 6, 19-20, and in current newest issue 33 (presumably till 36).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

All main main Sonic characters appeared.

He's basically based on games... although his personality has strange mandates to it, he's a bit meaner than you would expect him to be.

Plays major roles in issue 6, 19-20, and in current newest issue 33 (presumably till 36).

I shall have to check those issues out. Are they available digitally? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Shadow Chaos Control said:

I shall have to check those issues out. Are they available digitally? 

They are! If you are from the US, I get mine from Comixology (which is basically Amazon). I am not sure about other countries but they probably are available.

Like another person said though, Sega has made Shadow more restrictive with the range of emotions he is allowed to express for some reason. If you know that beforehand then you'll probably better forgive the writers who tried the best they could. But nothing sickening imo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2020 at 9:46 AM, NeoZDuwang said:

About the mysterious figure...

  Reveal hidden contents

I think it's Starline, based on the shoes

1190696435_mysteriousshoe.jpg.4f137eea24fb3591445e294392b12fa6.jpg

 

On 10/18/2020 at 4:37 PM, A wild west steam engine said:

How did he learn speed, power and flight abilities?

17 hours ago, dwitefry666 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I think Starline would be a terribly dissapointing reveal. It's really not a shock when it's revealed it's a main villain who's currently appearing in his own series at the same time.

 

 

Spoiler

I still wanna hang on the chance of a robot-ish enforcer (I won't be surprised if Starline made his creation have similar accessories as himself), but....

Starline could've acquired a new stone/object to replace his warp topaz that gives him those powers. But I agree with dwitefry, that'd be pretty disappointing. Rather have new threatening characters even if they work under Starline.

 

(unrelated but were we allowed to remove spoiler tags eventually? I kind of forgot...it's hard to go back & search for posts I wanna quote.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jack out of the comics! said:

Considering Sega approves (and sometimes doesn't) the comic, which is heavily inspired by the games. Any complaints about IDW Shadow apply to Game Shadow too and in whatever way Sega sees him. 

So yeah, I believe Shadow as well as everyone else is directly based off current Sonic games.

I think it's a smidge more complex than that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, prowerboy26 said:

They are! If you are from the US, I get mine from Comixology (which is basically Amazon). I am not sure about other countries but they probably are available.

Like another person said though, Sega has made Shadow more restrictive with the range of emotions he is allowed to express for some reason. If you know that beforehand then you'll probably better forgive the writers who tried the best they could. But nothing sickening imo. 

Thanks so much! I shall go on Amazon and get some issues. 

Shadow having restrictive emotions is alright with me, he was in SA2 sort of a brooding Spock at times [albiet he taunted Sonic and spouted prideful sayings like “I’m the coolest!.”]. Perhaps that is what SEGA intends, to have Shadow lacking emotion in the IDW and then develop his sarcasm streak later.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2020 at 11:38 AM, Shadow Chaos Control said:

Thanks so much! I shall go on Amazon and get some issues. 

Shadow having restrictive emotions is alright with me, he was in SA2 sort of a brooding Spock at times [albiet he taunted Sonic and spouted prideful sayings like “I’m the coolest!.”]. Perhaps that is what SEGA intends, to have Shadow lacking emotion in the IDW and then develop his sarcasm streak later.   

Honestly, I think it's less about Shadow having restrictive emotions and more of him not doing anything anyone actually wants/expects of him.

In fact, you could argue that it's him being too emotional or at least egotistic that's behind the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DabigRG said:

Honestly, I think it's less about Shadow having restrictive emotions and more of him not doing anything anyone actually wants/expects of him.

In fact, you could argue that it's him being too emotional or at least egotistic that's behind the problem.

I like Shadow’s super ego, I mean he speaks in the third person in SA2:

”I’m the Ultimate Lifeform” 

“I’m the Coolest.” 

“Let me show you my real power”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Has anyone finished the Bumblekast? Are there any interesting bits?

Can't you watch it on your own? (no offense, just curious) The video description has all the questions, so I usually jump around & only listen to those that I'm interested.

The only one I know rn is that all the "new villains being male and heros being female" were completely unintentional and Ian didn't notice until pointed out later. IIRC they don't have any female villains on the waitlist right now, but he will keep that in mind for the future. He also mentions that he'd want something new, like someone who will get down & actually fighting w/ the heros instead of being the leader/ruler. He also wanted an irredeemable, THE EVIL type of girl.

Which I am very very delighted by, since I've made a fuss about that specific topic here (or in another topic) fairly recently. More independent, unsympathetic, threatening villainesses please.

(there was another one about Ian wanting Zeena to stomp/kick Cream on the floor to make sure people hate her, but Sega said do not hurt the child)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might have asked this before and I do want to know

 

whose idea it was that the Idw series be a sequel to sonic forces? Did Ian decide or did Sega mandate that it had to follow the confusion of their latest game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.