Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

Spoiler

I had a weird theory about who the hooded character could be in idw sonic 33: spoilers in box:

Hide contents

He could be the original emerl from sonic battle, or a robot that is very closely similar to him. When shadow encounters him, he uses speed, flight and power abilities, and guess who had the ability to copy other fighter's personal moves perfectly? Yup. Either that or a completely new character.

This is the most I've ever talked about the comics.

5 hours ago, A wild west steam engine said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I had a weird theory about who the hooded character could be in idw sonic 33: spoilers in box:

Hide contents

He could be the original emerl from sonic battle, or a robot that is very closely similar to him. When shadow encounters him, he uses speed, flight and power abilities, and guess who had the ability to copy other fighter's personal moves perfectly? Yup. Either that or a completely new character.

Spoiler

I wonder if emerl/any knock-offs of him are available to use, or it's a "there's only one" rule like metal sonic? (there was a mandate like that right?) Given their movements I'm sure it's a robot, or someone roboticized enough to float w/o doing anything & "dash" with small bursts from their legs.

One thing I noticed in the last page, Shadow has something pointy? & light yellow in his hand. He was grabbing the hooded figure with that hand earlier, so it must be a piece from them.

I'm choosing to believe that Shadow was looking for a robot trader to get parts for Omega on his own and is simply uninterested in whatever Rouge's plan is since he's clearly not needed for it. That's a valid interpretation of his behavior here, right? 

(Damnit SEGA! I'm trying to be charitable here but you're making it really hard for me to keep liking some of my favorite characters.)

On 10/15/2020 at 6:41 PM, A wild west steam engine said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Hide contents

Spoiler

That crossed my mind as well. I think it's more likely to be a rebuilt Phi, which would fit nicely with the girls looking for E-100 series parts.

6 hours ago, Bowbowis said:

Hide contents

That crossed my mind as well. I think it's more likely to be a rebuilt Phi, which would fit nicely with the girls looking for E-100 series parts.

I honestly didn't consider that. 😯

---------------------------------------------------------------

Gonna quote this hear to redirect potential discussion.

19 hours ago, Iko said:

Sometimes I wish the character was completely rewritten from scratch because I don't like how she is portraied in most of the more recent stuff...  IDW was the closest thing to an attempt at improving the character, but still, there are many problems with her, such as in the Chao Race issue where she was supposed to have a bigger role, but so far she's only passively used as an exploit to let Rouge do the stuff instead... Cheese plays a bigger role than her, she's just there existing as an excuse for Cheese to be around because he's needed for the plot (this may change in the second part but at this point I doubt).

16 hours ago, Kaotic Kanine said:

Funny you mention that, because I got the same feeling. Chao Racing came off like the ultimate story for Cream. But so far, it's primarily Rouge's story with Cream only being involved because she happens to have a Chao. I'm optimistic that Cream's role will actually be substantial in the future issues, since Evan stated that the story was made to keep up the momentum that the Metal Virus Saga started for Cream. But I can't deny my worry that Cream will end up being more of an afterthought for this story, since that's how it's been with her this past year, if not since her debut. And I'm wishing she would be completely rewritten too, just so this nonsense holding Cream back can end. Like, no more freaking pacifism if that's what's keeping her from being in adventures

Just finished #33, I am much more happier with this issue. Finally just getting a fairly relaxing low-stakes adventure after all of the constant action and high-stakes stuff Ian has put us through was great.

I love how Evan writes everybody, but especially Sonic, Tails, and Rouge, and seeing Sonic and Tails going on adventures and teasing each other is great. She knocked it out of the park, and I can't wait to see what she's got up her sleeve next.

4 hours ago, DaddlerTheDalek said:

The era of Evan Stanley has begun.😉

It's nice to see Rouge and Amy getting some focus.

And Cream. Don't forget Cream 😜 Despite what I said about her in this issue 

On that note, it's funny you brought that discussion from the Cream thread to here, @DabigRG, cause my feelings about Cream in this issue had been fully addressed in another forum 😅 As the first issue of this story arc, #33 was focused on setting up the plot, and as the instigator of the plot, Rouge was given most focus. Shame Cream didn't get to do much in this one, but it's a guarantee that she'll do and say more in the next issues, with what had been set up in this issue, and so I was being too hasty. Of course, I guess if we want to start another discussion about Cream in a Sonic comic book thread, I'm game lmao 

And with that, may as well give my thoughts about #33 here 😆 Twas a good issue! I was already immensely happy with Evan for having Amy, Cream, and Rouge (who had risen up as my third favorite Sonic character) be the stars of the A plot for this arc. And while I felt Cream's presence was underwhelming in this issue, the few moments of Cream were still great. And, of course, Rouge and Amy were excellent! Especially Amy! I'm just gonna say, that "Knock'em dead, Cheese!" is what I needed after 32 issues of Amy... Not speaking like herself, for the most part lol I can't thank Evan enough for that return to form, and I only hope we get more of Amy being spunky and spirited. I also seriously love the setting (I want to live in that log chateau), the plot itself is intriguing, and I'm liking Clutch so far 

Not gonna lie, though, I was already apprehensive about Gemerl's presence in this arc, and with this issue, I can't say his presence is warranted. He had plenty of moments throughout the Metal Virus Saga, and his being a bodyguard to Cream is really unnecessary here since she is in a relatively safe location and accompanied by Amy, Cheese, and Rouge. There's no need for Gemerl to be sticking with Cream to protect her when she's got her protective pet and two badass friends with her, with the adventure in question being a racing tournament. And I swear, if that robot takes up any significant moments of Cream's, or interferes with Cream's interactions with Amy and Rouge, both things I've been dying for... Well, I'll withhold further ranting and wait to see how the rest of the story will play out 

Overall though, this is a great start for Evan and I can't wait for the next issue, as well as the full story 

2 hours ago, NeoZDuwang said:

About the mysterious figure...

Reveal hidden contents

I think it's Starline, based on the shoes

1190696435_mysteriousshoe.jpg.4f137eea24fb3591445e294392b12fa6.jpg

Good spot, and he could have easily done that hypnosis ‘SLEEP!’ thing on Rouge, if that is indeed her that he is carrying there.

18 hours ago, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

Just finished #33, I am much more happier with this issue. Finally just getting a fairly relaxing low-stakes adventure after all of the constant action and high-stakes stuff Ian has put us through was great.

I love how Evan writes everybody, but especially Sonic, Tails, and Rouge, and seeing Sonic and Tails going on adventures and teasing each other is great. She knocked it out of the park, and I can't wait to see what she's got up her sleeve next.

Yeah, good stuff, even if it was just 3 pages. I wonder if like we'll have the focus alternate between issues, because Sonic and Tails doing wholesome brother shit is my jam.

Of course, Rouge is pretty great too. I like Rouge. Glad that she can have a bit more focus.

7 hours ago, A wild west steam engine said:

How did he learn speed, power and flight abilities?

Probably will find out during Bad Guys 2-4, assuming it IS Starline and not just someone who shops at the same shoe store.

Spoiler

I think Starline would be a terribly dissapointing reveal. It's really not a shock when it's revealed it's a main villain who's currently appearing in his own series at the same time.

ANYway, I've apparently missed something here and I hate that - is Stanley the new writer for the main Sonic book or is she just doing a fill-in arc? 

22 minutes ago, dwitefry666 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I think Starline would be a terribly dissapointing reveal. It's really not a shock when it's revealed it's a main villain who's currently appearing in his own series at the same time.

ANYway, I've apparently missed something here and I hate that - is Stanley the new writer for the main Sonic book or is she just doing a fill-in arc? 

She's the new writer for the main book.  I think that Ian Flynn is writing the Bad Guys series.

1 hour ago, dwitefry666 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

She's the new head writer but Ian will still be contributing. He's doing the Bad Guys miniseries and said during NYCC he'll be doing the arc after Evan's second one which will be about where the rest of the Deadly Six went.

He's said though that "Season 3's" overall story is Evan's but they've talked to make surethe stories match up.

3 minutes ago, Your Vest Friend said:

Haven't watched much of it so far, but I've got to the point of finding out Tangle doesn't have family.

Aside from Cream & Vanilla, I'm wondering who officially has a family?

Considering Sega approves (and sometimes doesn't) the comic, which is heavily inspired by the games. Any complaints about IDW Shadow apply to Game Shadow too and in whatever way Sega sees him. 

So yeah, I believe Shadow as well as everyone else is directly based off current Sonic games.

On 10/18/2020 at 12:46 PM, NeoZDuwang said:

About the mysterious figure...

Hide contents

I think it's Starline, based on the shoes

1190696435_mysteriousshoe.jpg.4f137eea24fb3591445e294392b12fa6.jpg

That's what I heard.

16 hours ago, dwitefry666 said:
  Hide contents

That sorta crossed my mind as well.

13 hours ago, Your Vest Friend said:

Haven't watched much of it so far, but I've got to the point of finding out Tangle doesn't have family.

42dddp.jpg

7 hours ago, Shadow Chaos Control said:

Has Shadow made an appearance in IDW? Is his story similiar to SA2, Sonic X, and the Archie Comics? 

I ask in earnest because I am curious what the new comic canon on him is. 

He's actually in the most recent issue.

8 hours ago, Shadow Chaos Control said:

Has Shadow made an appearance in IDW? Is his story similar to SA2, Sonic X, and the Archie Comics? 

I ask in earnest because I am curious what the new comic canon on him is. 

All main main Sonic characters appeared.

He's basically based on games... although his personality has strange mandates to it, he's a bit meaner than you would expect him to be.

Plays major roles in issue 6, 19-20, and in current newest issue 33 (presumably till 36).

15 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

All main main Sonic characters appeared.

He's basically based on games... although his personality has strange mandates to it, he's a bit meaner than you would expect him to be.

Plays major roles in issue 6, 19-20, and in current newest issue 33 (presumably till 36).

I shall have to check those issues out. Are they available digitally?